• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey gets near-perfect score (39/40) from Famitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really worrying. I guess the game isn't what we were thinking, Nintendo should be careful cause we might be approaching times where Mario won't be really relevant anymore. He won't even be a Olympics Games 2020 ambassador while Goku is.

Can't believe Mario is flopping.

NSESN

That's actually higher than the scores they gave to the Galaxy games.

Galaxy: 38/40
Galaxy 2: 37/40

Seems like Famitsu staff aren't quite as enthralled with 3D Marios as much as the rest of the world is...

It seems so. But iirc, Japan doesn't liking 3D Mario as much as the west is the norm.

Sardello

It's very annoying to see "10/10/9/10". I would have preferred a "9/10/10/9" or "10/9/9/10"

This score is terribly asymmetric.

From the very beginning, when it was announced, I had a feeling this was going to be a mediocre game. Thanks Famitsu for confirming my suspicions.

Clearly just kidding. I wonder if this game will split the Nintendo fanbase GotY vote, which until now was probably universally going towards BotW. Nintendo dropping some bombs this year, and with Red Dead Redemption 2 not releasing this year, GotY will certainly be a Nintendo title.

oti

Banned
I blame New Donk City cause its so western ;P

Should've gone with this instead.

04c0aafbfba923049275d7374fda3fb4.jpg

Kid Icarus uprising got a perfect score, so I guess we know which game Nintendo should have made.
But seriously, we need a new kid Icarus game.

sanstesy

This. Publishers literally pay them for review scores, and their editorial integrity is pretty much non-existant. This is nothing new, and means nothing.

Sorry, but you are not in the position to determine what I should or shouldn't value.

Solid score but of course expected better coming from a new 3D Mario. Stil excited, though.

Majukun

This scoring system is so useless :D All it means: this was perfect for 3 out of 4 people.

I would actually like if MORE websites/magazines adopt this from of score...I prefer to get multiple perspectives about a game instead of just a guy's opinion, which can or cannot be of any worth for me.

personally i would make a 4 guys score with:

- a fan of the genre/franchise
- a guy that doesn't like the genre/franchise
- a guy that has no strong feelings about the genre/franchise
- a guy who never played said genre/franchise

and who cares if barely any game would get a perfect score, at least it would be a complete review.

Laieon

Next LawBreakers confirmed.

I would actually like if MORE websites/magazines adopt this from of score...I prefer to get multiple perspectives about a game instead of just a guy's opinion, which can or cannot be of any worth for me.

and who cares if barely any game would get a perfect score, at least it would be a complete review.

This sounds like an absolutely terrific system, didn't know I wanted this until now.

Camells

As a switch owner i'm starved for games so I got no option but play this piece of trash they call "a near perfect game™" with just 39 out of 40 reviewer points™, we have to do something and sue Nintendo because we can't accept this travesty they call "odyssey". What a terrible mishandle of a flagship franchise, not even sonic 06 went this far, they can't even score a perfect review on their domestic environment.
Nintendo surely are doomed.

I know, sorry for the jk post.

damn good game son, can't wait.
clearing my backlog so I can dive and lost myself in.

Kyzer

Banned

So you would have to hire new reviewers for every game

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow! It got the same score as FFXIII!

You know what, I had a brainfart. It should read "the outrage over this score doesn't make sense". You are right, *theoretical* reviews could potentially benefit form such a system. Especially if different gamers (like you described) reviewed it. This has to be reflected in the actual review/text, though. Scores are just numbers.

I guess most media outlets don't have the time to let all their staff review one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom