• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey gets near-perfect score (39/40) from Famitsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

En-ou

Good to see Famitsu showing some spine and not folding to Nintendo and giving it a perfect score like Edge.

Of course it's all moot when their magazine is made from dead trees.
Yeah man, I’m totally with you to score a game I haven’t completed yet! Next Zelda game should get 7.3 also nothing higher.

Welcome to the nearly perfect score list Odyssey XD:
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Ridge Racer Revolution
    [*]Super Mario 64
  • Tekken 3
  • Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
  • Resident Evil Remake
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • Gran Turismo 4
  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
  • Dead or Alive 4
  • Ōkami
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
  • L.A. Noire
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Gears of War 3
  • FIFA 12
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - HD Edition
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
  • Pokémon X and Y
  • Yakuza Ishin
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II: The Twin Kings and the Prophecy's End
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Persona 5
  • Yakuza 6
  • Nier: Automata
    [*]Super Mario Odyssey

I'll admit, this list is actually more intriguing than their perfect score list. Mario 64 also got a 39/10 o_O

I look forward to that one dude with the Guy Fawkes avatar creating another thread asking if SMO is possibly the greatest game of time to not receive a perfect score.

Crazyorloco

Lol@ the first page. 50 people all making the exact same joke.

lol Gaf is a gaffe sometimes. Even this page has that same sarcasm (so it's really about 250 posts of the same joke). I feel like if the initial posts are jokes...then you see followers post similar content. If the first posts have something of substance then you'll see others follow that route.

M-PG71C

The real question is what will Sonic Forces score? I expect a 40/40 for what will be the finest video game made of all time.

Wamb0wneD

Good to see Famitsu showing some spine and not folding to Nintendo and giving it a perfect score like Edge.

Of course it's all moot when their magazine is made from dead trees.

This one got me.

Super Mario Oddisey will win GOTY everywhere

At least Persona 5 beat it on this

:/

Mario getting a high score?
I'm shocked!

It'll get in the high 90s as to be expected but will eventually be overrated like BotW.

Not played the game yet but knows at what point the game is overrated. Keep up the good
console war
fight.

iswasdoes

Mario probably deserves high marks, but they gave the yearly FIFA rehash a 37. SMH.

Again I say - why is this bad? Fifa is objectively a great game. Yes its a rehash but does that deter the fact that its fun, deep, replayable and gorgeous? By that logic TLOU remastered is a 3/10

Vlade

It's always a little bit odd when one publication has its review out so far in advance of every other. It cheapens the
near
perfect score because we can't help but wonder if it's all above board, or if secret deals were struck behind the scenes.

Damn that’s awesome. Not surprised though. Mario’s almost always a sure thing quality-wise.

I feel like the more creative license developers have with Mario, the better the result. This game seems crammed with some insane ideas so no doubt it’ll be a classic.

That said, nitpicking about reviews is the funniest trend around here. It’s an opinion. Theirs is no more relevant than yours; they just have a “publish” button.

ghibli99

I know this is about Famitsu, but I'm expecting a mid-90s aggregate. Almost seems like a foregone conclusion at this point.

Atheerios

You missed the Nintendogsalypse.

fC0Z9jD.jpg
I want to know more about this.

Aters

Again I say - why is this bad? Fifa is objectively a great game. Yes its a rehash but does that deter the fact that its fun, deep, replayable and gorgeous? By that logic TLOU remastered is a 3/10

Don't try to argue with him. He probably never played fifa.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not gonna lie, I expected a perfect score from Famitsu. That's not a slight on the game, but rather the publication itself since Famitsu seems to be the loosest of all publications when it comes to giving out perfect scores.

Worst than Nintendogs? Not getting it.

jk.Famitsu ratings don't count. Interested in the comments they have though. Wonder when those get posted

I just realized they gave final fantasy XIII-2 a perfect score lol
I mean, XIII-2 was by far the best of the 3. Story was engaging, villain was great, music was beautiful, and replayability was high with the monster capturing, modifying and DLC bosses. Worthy of a 40/40? Nah, but it's better than a lot of games.

Is how Mario rolls.

in most games the rolls are supposed to have bit of a delay after momentum so that they don't replace the running command.

I hope that gets balanced out,
I would not enjoy speed runs that much , if mario is rolling half of the time :(

I honestly question why Famitsu score threads aren’t banned given the publication is a joke, everyone knows it’s a joke, and they inevitably are around 80% made up of people making fun of this fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom