• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Game is great but after 45 hours and 600 moons I am bored. Every world repeats similar set of challenges (race cup, rabbit, art, ground pound, 2 moons in every stage, etc)

I spent over 120 hours in BOTW before a similar feeling sunk in (barely collected any korok seeds though) but it felt far less repetitive.
Always got a smile from these comments when Breath of the Wild came out:

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".

True but imagine how much easier special maneuvers would be if that shake command was just mapped to one of the duplicate face buttons?
We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Pointing out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around, seems more easy for everyone than having to manage 2/3 extra buttons.

I still think this is far behind super mario 64. Every level has the same bunch of things to do/ places to see like the bird thing, cap shop etc

I think its better than super mario sunshine, but its not the sequel to super mario 64 i was hoping for. That game had real magic and was a joy to play from start to finish. The moons are a bit too easy and feel like coins rather than anything special imo.
Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.

Anyone else think the camera kinda... sucks?

Like, the game is pure joy and fun, but the camera gets in the way more often than it should.
It's so weird to be playing a game in 2017 with annoying camera issues. It's even weirder that the game is a staple Nintendo title.
No, the camera doesn't "suck".

Most 3D Mario's have done a very good job improving the camera over it's past games. The only exception to this rule would be Sunshine. Considering that it has more open levels than the Galaxy games the auto cam in this game does a very good job getting the optimal angle, quite impressive really.

Down to the final four hint art moons. These are annoying as fuck. Might give in and use a guide finally.
These ones are more complex than the ones in Galaxy, aren't they?

It was a good decision to bring back these star/moonshine challenges. As well as the Sphynx quizes and the audiophile Toad activities. It meshes rather well with the adventure tone of 3D Mario games and drives players a little closer into the game's world.

Of course these type of activities have the disavantages of not been as engaging for a subsequent playthrough but in the end is better to have them than not.

tassletine

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".

We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Poiting out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around.

Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.

It's more to do with the pace of the game and the challenge. It's the only problem I have with the game, it's not enough of an action title compared to the other Marios.
Mario 64 is fairly slow but that's because Nintendo were introducing the world to 3D controls (and camera). Just seeing that world rendered in 3D gave you a lot of enjoyment. I feel the same way about ARMS having played the last Punch Out. The game is obviously good but it's not fast paced enough for me.

I do think there is something seriously misjudged about any game this easy, that also has an additional easy mode. The last level is extremely difficult but there seems to be almost no levels that offer an intermediate challenge between average and extreme, which is what a lot of the other Mario's offer.
I'm not that happy with having to search to find that distraction only to find out there's no more platforming, just a room you have to walk into and collect a star. Mario is not a party game to me, I need my reactions tested goddamnit!

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Pointing out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around, seems more easy for everyone than having to manage 2/3 extra buttons.

Most 3D Mario's have done a very good job improving the camera over it's past games. The only exception to this rule would be Sunshine. Considering that it has more open levels than the Galaxy games the auto cam in this game does a very good job getting the optimal angle, quite impressive really.

It was a good decision to bring back these star/moonshine challenges. As well as the Sphynx quizes and the audiophile Toad activities. It meshes rather well with the adventure tone of 3D Mario games and drives players a little closer into the game's world.

Of course these type of activities have the disavantages of not been as engaging for a subsequent playthrough but in the end is better to have them than not.

Maybe i am looking at mario 64 through rose tinted specs and back then i was a novice gamer. I must say this is much better than the galaxy and 3d world games as it feels more like a proper adventure rather than a bunch of mini levels put together.

It's more to do with the pace of the game and the challenge. It's the only problem I have with the game, it's not enough of an action title compared to the other Marios.
Mario 64 is fairly slow but that's because Nintendo were introducing the world to 3D controls (and camera). Just seeing that world rendered in 3D gave you a lot of enjoyment. I feel the same way about ARMS having played the last Punch Out. The game is obviously good but it's not fast paced enough for me.

I do think there is something seriously misjudged about any game this easy, that also has an additional easy mode. The last level is extremely difficult but there seems to be almost no levels that offer an intermediate challenge between average and extreme, which is what a lot of the other Mario's offer.
I'm not that happy with having to search to find that distraction only to find out there's no more platforming, just a room you have to walk into and collect a star. Mario is not a party game to me, I need my reactions tested goddamnit!

I’d also like to add that with Mario 64 there was a lot more mastery to the core controls which made just getting about in every level challenging and engaging.

Odyssey makes core movement very accessible and to-the-point which is also great, but it does mean that actually pulling off Mario’s core moves doesn’t require as much mastery - it’s how you use those moves.

I find Mario a lot more satisfying to control in 64 because of this. Nearly any platforming you do in the game is a result of hours of experimentation with the controls, whereas in Odyssey you only get this feeling when the level design allows you to pull off crazy stuff.

Two different approaches but I thought I’d mention that regarding how you felt about 64.

Your mind is pretty much made about the game. i would like if you could substantiate the claims with something more solid to further continue the Odyssey discussion.

However, the ARMS statement is... i'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/-GTDDoM2o_k

https://youtu.be/zJkHMnvHerY

Those guys are playing the game with Thumbs Up grip. A fellow forumer, GoreMagala, is among the top 3 ARMS players. Watch some matches with him and tell us the game is not fast paced.

Repetitiveness is repetitiveness even if you played the game for x number of hours (btw 45 hours is not 100 hours...). Besides, I felt generally satisfied with BOTW since I was actually doing exploration, sidequests and not just korok hunting (just whatever I stumbled on the way). In SMO I finished the campaign in.. 12 hours? And the rest was down to moon hunting and mostly repeating the same set of challenges in different kingdoms.

The kingdoms are TINY.

Ok, here are my thoughts so far on this game...

Me and the wife are having a blast playing this over the past 3 days, we get/go well beyond what the Kingdoms ask as far as moons, but here is my personal issue with it...

Why, why, WHY would Nintendo put almost 900 moons in a game with 17 Kingdoms when each Kingdom only requires 10 to 20 moons to beat that Kingdom??? I got so frustrated at one point due to how eazy it was to get a moon, I asked my wife if she put the game on easy and she said she never messed with the menu options.

I just don't understand why they would put 60 to 90 moons in each Kingdom when you only need around 10 to 20 (depending on the Kingdom) to beat it?! Makes nooo Sense!

I seen a article online where someone beat Mario Odyssey in 90min and got an achievement for it!!!! Honest to God, back in 96' with Mario 64, there is NO WAY in hell you could beat that game in that time, simply ridiculous (fastest speed run in Mario 64 was around 2 hours, with a game 21 yrs old! This time was beat in 3 days with Mario Odyssey)!!!  Why is everything in general getting soooo damn soft these days??? Politics, video games, just everything!!! I wanna feel like i accomplished something after i beat these games, it's hard to feel that way anymore when these games are basically another version of some Welfare Government assistants!

Just sad. Great Game Nintendo, but this is a reason why gaming is getting less and less fun. Too many developers making games where everyone gets a trophy 🏆

Final thought...

Mario Odyssey is supposed to be the direct sequel to Mario 64 for N64, but it feels less (MUCH less) Satisfying simply because of the ratio of moons per Kingdom per how many you actually need to beat each Kingdom. I'm actually really shocked this game got such high scores with reviewers. Do reviews these days not base there scores off of a challenge aswel? In Mario 64 there were only 121 stars in a game just as long, if not longer, so whats the deal with almost 900 moons? It use to feel soooo special to get a Star, these moons are a Joke.

I agree.

Uh, am I missing something here (post game spoilers).
The Bowser painting you unlock after collecting all main moons, what is the point of this? Is it just a slightly more difficult battle? That's it?. And then when you get to 999 moons... Fireworks??? That's it? What is this E3 2013?

Bakkus

Song number 27 is the only one I lack, i've read it's 'Jump Up superstar' in Japanese and the way you unlock it is throwing your hat at any of the speakers where Pauline is singing. Well, I've tried it at both the last level and the festival now on every speaker but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Andyliini

Song number 27 is the only one I lack, i've read it's 'Jump Up superstar' in Japanese and the way you unlock it is throwing your hat at any of the speakers where Pauline is singing. Well, I've tried it at both the last level and the festival now on every speaker but to no avail. Can anyone help?

I got it by throwing my hat at the radio in
Mushroom Kingdom
. Or at least I think I got it from there, as that's where I first heard the tune.

Bakkus

I got it by throwing my hat at the radio in
Mushroom Kingdom
. Or at least I think I got it from there, as that's where I first heard the tune.

Ah yes I've found out that's how you're unlocking it (did it myself on New Donk City's radio), so now i've 100% completed the game. Every Moon in every level, bought my way up to 999 moons, every purple coin, every purchasable things from those coins, every hat and costume, every enemy capture and every song!

MrBlonde

I just bought a Switch this week and playing this with the wife. I haven't played a Mario game in years other then a couple levels with my step son on the Wii U 3d World. I wasn't loving it the first night but last night we had some fun....Is there a way to see how many moons are left in a world after you hit the required amount? We have found a few extra in the Sand World but not sure how many there are left since the outline isn't there like the required ones.

I hope the Switch gets a true Co Op Mario game like 3D World in the future, my wife is not loving controlling the cap and I get it, I have offered for her to take control of Mario but she hasn't yet.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I just bought a Switch this week and playing this with the wife. I haven't played a Mario game in years other then a couple levels with my step son on the Wii U 3d World. I wasn't loving it the first night but last night we had some fun....Is there a way to see how many moons are left in a world after you hit the required amount? We have found a few extra in the Sand World but not sure how many there are left since the outline isn't there like the required ones.

I hope the Switch gets a true Co Op Mario game like 3D World in the future, my wife is not loving controlling the cap and I get it, I have offered for her to take control of Mario but she hasn't yet.

Yes, pull up the map and then hit Y i think to bring up the list of moons for the world. It shows the ones you have and spaces for the ones youre missing.

jmoe316

I cant get past tge second broodal :(

I haven't tried it yet but if you want to make it easy on yourself, apparently you can backtrack to the entrance of the caves and one of the stems has the 6 heart bonus and you can keep going back for it between each boss.

oliverandm

I cant get past tge second broodal :(

I stacked up on health before entering and took their attacks into consideration, knowing that gravity impacts the fight. Really, only the fight with Topper is the one where gravity is a handicap, because when he slams you with all his hats, it can be a little tough to get away quickly, so don't stand to close to him and just spam Cappy! I will admit I was lucky with my last hit on Robobrood, because that was just evil haha.

ajim

Post bowser has some damn difficult moons and challenges! The game really turned it up to 11/10!

So awesome

czk51

I haven't tried it yet but if you want to make it easy on yourself, apparently you can backtrack to the entrance of the caves and one of the stems has the 6 heart bonus and you can keep going back for it between each boss.

definitely investigating this. Edit: found it. The trick was to keep my hat spinning for 3 seconds (I had to look it up elsewhere) \

And to confirm, I just beat the first boss, ran back out and did the trick again.

Thanks!!!!!!

Beat the game with about 300 Moons, Now the post game begins.. Gotta say I loved it and def my favorite mario since mario 64. Great game!! and still lots left to explore!

hard to justify any game being a 10 but this is damn close.

ChuyMasta

I only need 9780 coins to 100% this sucka! Right on time for Skyrim!!!

The power moons on the dark side are BS!

The darkest side moons is right there with champions run!

Andyliini

I only have one power moon to get, the one from the Darker Side. I did not have too much trouble with those on the Dark Side, but this one makes me pull my hair out. I'm going to try to finish it this weekend, so hopefully my nerves last that long.

And then I need to find a place where I can farm some coins for the rest of the costumes and Power Moons.

I only need 9780 coins to 100% this sucka! Right on time for Skyrim!!!

The power moons on the dark side are BS!

The darkest side moons is right there with champions run!

I managed to eventually clear the Darkest side, which I rather enjoyed, but the Dark Side really does have some tough challenges.

The remixed void level that removes the Scooter (you'll know the one) is more frustrating than challenging. You've got to be incredibly precise and exacting.

Your mind is pretty much made about the game. i would like if you could substantiate the claims with something more solid to further continue the Odyssey discussion.

Those guys are playing the game with Thumbs Up grip. A fellow forumer, GoreMagala, is among the top 3 ARMS players. Watch some matches with him and tell us the game is not fast paced.
ehrm..
sorry, but I tried the game and I found it really.. shallow..
the game seemed more about aiming and timing rather than being focused on mechanics, oth, hit-stun, hit-confirming.. from my point of view, it's almost more of a shooter with a limited size "area" (the ring//arena//stage) than a real figthing game...
but to each his own i guess :)
is it fun? yeah, but that's it.... but if I'm looking for a proper fightning game, I don't play arms..
again, this is my opinion ;)

that being said, I'll go back to my mario game!

Jharp

So I beat Bowser, I have all the purple coins, I'm sitting at about 450 moons, and I just beat the Dark Side boss rush.

I keep seeing people say this game really doesn't begin until the post-game, but I find my desire and interest waning pretty heavily about now. It's been real real fun, but I think I'm good and ready to move on to something new after dumping several hours into this.

Am I really missing anything? I think I'll get to 500 just for the Darkest side, but besides that, I have little desire to keep going. Is it just Dark Side, Darkest Side, and then the post-game moon challenges? Is there anything else?

goldenpp72

So I beat Bowser, I have all the purple coins, I'm sitting at about 450 moons, and I just beat the Dark Side boss rush.

I keep seeing people say this game really doesn't begin until the post-game, but I find my desire and interest waning pretty heavily about now. It's been real real fun, but I think I'm good and ready to move on to something new after dumping several hours into this.

Am I really missing anything? I think I'll get to 500 just for the Darkest side, but besides that, I have little desire to keep going. Is it just Dark Side, Darkest Side, and then the post-game moon challenges? Is there anything else?

If you beat the 500 moon level, that is it as far as worlds go. While I did enjoy doing all the moons in the game it did at times get tedious, the game needs breathers to not get long in the tooth but it's a joy to come back in spurts. I would definitely adore if they did a direct sequel with more worlds, less fluff moons in each, and perhaps a bit bigger. The game is near perfect in a lot of ways but needs a bit of fine tuning to perfect the formula, still an astonishing achievement.

I personally think most of the moons that become available after beating Bowser are pretty weak and feel like busywork. Most are just lying out there in the open and don't require you to actually do anything to get them to appear. Towards the end I found myself just looking at a guide for them, and my final ten or so hours with the game felt like I was ticking off stuff on a checklist.

I still had fun getting them, but there's a clear divide between the amount of fun I was having before and after beating Bowser.

Though I do recommend getting 500 moons so you can
unlock the final level

ehrm..
sorry, but I tried the game and I found it really.. shallow..
the game seemed more about aiming and timing rather than being focused on mechanics, oth, hit-stun, hit-confirming.. from my point of view, it's almost more of a shooter with a limited size "area" (the ring//arena//stage) than a real figthing game... but to each his own i guess :)
This is why emiting subjective judgements in a vaccum doesn't bring much to a discussion. In an effort to dismiss the game you set aside some of the most important factors whitin fighting: Aiming, positioning and timing. When the importance of them are not limited to just videogames but how real fights work in general.

Other nice traits of ARMS are it's rather extensive use of 3D space even more so than most popular stablished "3D" titles do. And how the use of Motion Controls raises the skill ceiling for a game that is not so dependent in memorizing complex input chains.

i don't know if you saw the evolution of ARMS threads since test punches? It was like people were erecting brick walls to stop the game just minutes after it was released, each time a wall was brought down another one was raised. People made definitive claims about the game's viability, gets proved wrong and something new is brought up.

A good contingent of people have this morbid pleasure and desire to see the game fail.

is it fun? yeah, but that's it.... but if I'm looking for a proper fightning game, I don't play arms..[/b]
again, this is my opinion ;)
Sincerely im not mad at the opinion Witchedwiz. Maybe just concerned or disapointed.

In 2017 with so many means to communicate, learn and have a more receptive state of mind a lot of people seem to be as insular and 1 track minded as always. It's sad since this doesn't apply just to the trivialism of a hobby as it extends to other facets of life.

"Proper fighting game" is the patented type of reaction emitted the instant something shakes the status quo within an stablished genre.

I personally think most of the moons that become available after beating Bowser are pretty weak and feel like busywork. Most are just lying out there in the open and don't require you to actually do anything to get them to appear. Towards the end I found myself just looking at a guide for them, and my final ten or so hours with the game felt like I was ticking off stuff on a checklist.

I still had fun getting them, but there's a clear divide between the amount of fun I was having before and after beating Bowser.

Though I do recommend getting 500 moons so you can
unlock the final level
The game does a good job teaching you where the more "meaty" moonshines will be. In this sense game allows the freedom for the player to control how much of a "busywork" it might be.

As has been said many times the "fluf Moonshines" need to be there for a considerable amount of players that have a different skill level or familiarity with games than "us" videogame forum dwellers. The fact that the game accomodates this wide range of players goes to show how well designed it is.

The game does a good job teaching you where the more "meaty" moonshines will be. In this sense game allows the freedom for the player to control how much of a "busywork" it might be.

As has been said many times the "fluf Moonshines" need to be there for a considerable amount of players that have a different skill level or familiarity with games than "us" videogame forum dwellers. The fact that the game accomodates this wide range of players goes to show how well designed it is.

That's undermined by the fact that the "fluff" moons only appear after beating Bowser. I would rather have them there on the first playthrough of each world. That way, they wouldn't feel so much like busywork, as I could grab them as I'm going about exploring the worlds for the first time. Having them only be available afterwards means I have to re-explore worlds I've already fully explored. Also, I think more casual gamers are even less likely to be willing to go back to worlds a second time.

Probably around half way through this and Im just getting the required moons and moving on, I really dont understand why they added so many, I feel like Im missing out on content playing like this but I just have no drive or reason to collect, shouldve just had a specific number and a little challenging to get each, Im really enjoying the game but JUST like Breath Of the Wild I prefer the previous stuff.

I'm disappointed by the post-game content
I don't think there's anything fun about long and challenging levels with no checkpoints
I prefer the Super Meat Boy style of shorter challenges with instant respawns

tassletine

I didn't say Arms wasn't fast paced, I said it wasn't fast paced enough for me. The video's you've provided all bear that out.

Here's the substantiations to my claim about Mario being too slow, or lacking drive.

a) There is no timer, no sense of urgency, no run button.
b) Coins are abundant. There's almost no penalty when dying.
c) Advanced controls are only ever needed for a very small portion of the challenges, making them almost redundant as far as learning a skillset goes.
e) You almost always have to walk (and look) to find something to do. The only time you don't is during the main quest, when the levels are easy.
f) The game has an easy mode, when it really needs a hard mode.

Neff

Regarding the Moons, I think the best solution would have been to break them up into currency tiers. 5 Moons for major story tasks, 3 for elaborate tasks like mini-levels, 1 for random 'ground pound'-style foraging, and adjust the Odyssey requirements to reflect that. That way you have an incentive to stay with the more lucrative missions because they're worth it, and can burn through the game solely with them Mario 64-style should you wish to, but you also keep the minute-to-minute harvesting of lesser goodies which is accessible to everyone.

I genuinely think the game is already a masterpiece as is, but the two tiers of Moons don't fully reflect the range of demands of the player. If they'd make the kind of adjustments outlined above it'd improve pacing and satisfaction levels resulting in a pretty much flawless experience imo.

Top Bottom