• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - The Odyssey Journal (JP) (IMAGE HEAVY)

The Odyssey Journal
journal.png

2.png

Some people might have been following the Japanese Mario Odyssey Twitter for updates on the game - every one or two days they post something, either showcasing a particular move Mario/Cappy can do, showing an enemy and what happens when you capture it, showing some artwork, y'know, all the cool stuff that's not particularly "revealing" but is still neat to see nonetheless. They're all accompanied by some flavor text... that's in Japanese, so I can't understand it besides sloppy google translations, but y'know, it might be useful for you.

Recently (at least, I think, because I haven't seen the link before, but this might have been up for some time now) the "Odyssey Journal" opened, where they're compiling everything in what I believe is higher quality (since it's not through twitter) and now you can actually save the gifs too! The journal is split in a couple sections that highlight the actions you can do, characters you'll encounter, the world you'll visit and a section for 'Other' stuff, which focuses on the Odyssey, wallpapers they're releasing, and news from outside events. With the reveal of the "Photo Mode" feature, we also learned that some of the pictures from here we thought were modified to be posted online WERE taken directly from the game!

Here's a couple of choice pictures, more on the link above!

pixelation

The game sure looks fun, but i am not digging the art direction. It's all over the place and that's the point i guess, but even if that's what they were aiming for doesn't mean it's visually pleasing as a cohesive whole. And much to my chagring the majority of the levels seen so far seem to opt for a more realistic look as opposed to the typical Mario whimsical worlds. I'm still playing it though.

The game sure looks fun, but i am not digging the art direction. It's all over the place and that's the point i guess, but even if that's what they were aiming for doesn't mean it's visually pleasing as a cohesive whole. And much to my chagring the majority of the levels seen so far seem to opt for a more realistic look as opposed to the typical Mario whimsical worlds. I'm still playing it though.
The levels shown in the new direct seem to lean more towards the "Mario" style, if you haven't seen them.

Yeah, that's been there since July I think.
Weird that they only seemed to post the link to this on the twitter now, though, but yeah, it's likely it started alongside the twitter itself.

sanstesy

Weird that they only seemed to post the link to this on the twitter now, though, but yeah, it's likely it started alongside the twitter itself.

Yeah, it's been at least there since July because I made a thread about the official site at that time but no one cared. D:

EraErr0r1

It's fantastic to see Nintendo embracing Super Mario's parkour elements and taking it to the next level. That ground pound cancel is going to do wonders.

Movement is one of my favourite aspects from the series. I didn't realise until 3D World released that I also prefer the exploration/adventure sandbox design of the 3D entries more than the traditional, structured platforming. Having a huge game world to run around in and chain huge parkour combo's around while collecting Moons and other objectives is going to be amazing. Strangely enough it kind of reminds me of my favourite elements from the classic Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

EDIT: To the people stating that there is no platforming in this game. Have you even seen the GIF images placed in the very first post?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Based on the numbers I crunched, there's a direct correlation between the lack of platforming and the lack of GBs in the file size for the game.

Yeah, it's been at least there since July because I made a thread about the official site at that time but no one cared. D:

It doesn't help that back then, around E3, a lot of people probably wanted to go in completely blind into the game... and now no one cares anymore and just wants to see new footage haha. Sorry for not finding your old thread! I went back a couple pages but didn't think of going all the way back to when the twitter started, which was a logical thing to do.

---

In terms of OT titles, I'm always a fan of the REALLY dumb ones:
Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Super Mario 6 or 4 (worlds)
Super Mario |OT|yssey, yes, see.

13ruce

Banned
This and BotW the GOTY rush is gonna be insane.
I am a number 1 Zelda fan but Odyssey might just top Breath of the Wild for me.

The gifs and images in the OP are so damn good.

beta_fuse

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Hats off to 3D Mario
Super Mario Odyssey |OT| No longer just a pipe dream
Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Taming dinos better than Mon Hun

jxN3

As stupid as this sounds, looking at all these gifs seriously fills me with happiness, I'm giddy with excitement for this game!

The move-set is so expressive. I can't wait to see how we all go about tackling this game. Speed-runners are going to have a goddamn field day in this world.

Top Bottom