• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey wins "Best of gamescom" & "Most Wanted" awards

chadskin

A.Category group: Best of gamescom

Best of gamescom award
• Super Mario Odyssey, Nintendo

B. category group: gamescom global awards

gamescom award for best add-on/DLC
• Battlefield 1: In the Name of the Tsar, Electronic Arts

gamescom award for best booth
• Electronic Arts gamescom Booth 2017, Electronic Arts

C. Category group: Platform

Best Console Game Sony PlayStation 4
• Assassin's Creed Origins, Ubisoft

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox One
• Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, Warner Bros.

Best Console Game Nintendo Switch

Best PC Game
• Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Koch Media

Best Mobile Game
• Metroid: Samus Returns, Nintendo

D. Category group: Genre

Best Role Playing Game
• Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, Bandai Namco

Best Racing Game
• Forza Motorsport 7, Microsoft

Best Action Game

Best Simulation Game
• Project CARS 2 , Bandai Namco

Best Sports Game
• PES 2018, Konami

Best Family Game

Best Strategy Game
• Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Ubisoft

Best Puzzle / Skill Game
• God's Trigger, Techland

Best Social / Online Game
• Destiny 2, Activision Blizzard

Best Casual Game
• Hidden Agenda, Sony

Best Multiplayer Game
• Destiny 2, Activision Blizzard

Best Virtual Reality Game
• Fallout 4 VR, ZeniMax

Best Hardware
• Xbox One X, Microsoft

E. Category group: Consumer award

gamescom ”Most Wanted" Consumer award

F. Category group: Indie award

gamescom Indie award
• Double Kick Heroes, Headbang Club

Dumb.

Sony doesn't really have any interesting to play.

AdanVC

Me everytime I think about Mario Odyssey
tenor.gif

Nintendo will own the GOTY awards this year with Mario and BotW!

Between BOTW and Odyssey, they're competing with themselves

Their only real competition is a certain early access PC game.

...or maybe I should say, BoTW and Odyssey are that game's only competition.

Nevertheless, there's gonna be a lot of disappointment from the people listing games like Horizon, Persona 5, Yakuza, Nier, etc. as their expected GOTY

it's gonna be a three way battle between two Nintendo games and one early access PC game

just come to terms with that now

watdaeff4

Along with other games like Persona 5 and NieR: Automata as well. Some many good games this year...

I haven't played Persona so can't speak for it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Nier, and in many other years, I think it would be a solid GOTY, but damn, this year has been insane with the quality of games.

Their only real competition is an early access survival game on PC

which they're both going to lose to
If it wasn't still Early Access, I would agree. However, just like how some baseball writers refuse to vote for players the first year of eligibility into the Hall of Fame (because of "tradition" and an "unspoken code"), I wouldn't be surprised if some refuse to give PUBG GOTY just because it's still Early Access. I mean look at this award listing - PUBG couldn't even beat out Shadow of War for best XBox game

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
kinda went on a media blackout on this since E3, not really because I hate spoilers, just the E3 presentation ws so good, I pretty much went "yeah im buying that day 1, I dont need to see more"

good to know its shaping up as expected at least.

They will beat that game easily.
Even Horizon will beat that one.

First sentence is like "Hahaha, we'll see! That's a bet!"

Second sentence is like

"...what? You're kidding, right?"

Horizon is great. PUBG is PUBG; a goddamn phenomenon, and the biggest new release of 2017. PUBG will sweep.

13ruce

Banned

Second sentence is like

Horizon is great. PUBG is PUBG. PUBG will sweep.

Do you really think a early access game is gonna win large amounts of game of the year awards? I don't remember Rust etc do it in the past? So not really.

Super Mario Odyssey could have taken best Mobile game too but I am glad they decided to highlight something else.

mas8705

Seems crazy to think that we could be seeing a case where Mario could actually be competing against Link in terms of "Game of the Year."

Honestly, I have no idea which game will win (or if they will get overtaken by any other game like Persona 5, or Horizon. Not too sure if Player Unknown counts or not here too, but congrats to them as well for having one of the biggest releases as well).

Still, Kudos to Nintendo for continuing to have the most dominant first year I think they have ever had with a console launch.

watdaeff4

Second sentence is like

Horizon is great. PUBG is PUBG; a goddamn phenomenon, and the biggest new release of 2017. PUBG will sweep.

Why didn't it beat out Shadow of War for best Xbox Console game in this?

I doubt they'll make a bad Mario game but we're these awards at least based off of them playing the game? Or was it like E3 where the awards are really all for best game I watched a dev play for a few minutes?

Do you really think a early access game is gonna win large amounts of game of the yesr awards? Did rust etc do it in the past? Not really.

'rust etc'

#1 - aren't comparable to PUBG by any metric - they're not of the same genre and not a one has seen a fraction of PUBG's explosive success and momentum
#2 - remained early access far longer than PUBG will

I should clarify that I expect this game to be out of Early Access before the end of the year. As do the developers of the game.

watdaeff4

'rust etc'

#1 - aren't comparable to PUBG by any metric - they're not of the same genre and not a one has seen a fraction of PUBG's explosive success and momentum
#2 - remained early access far longer than PUBG will

I should clarify that I expect this game to be out of Early Access before the end of the year. As do the developers of the game.

Link?

wapplew

Do you really think a early access game is gonna win large amounts of game of the year awards? I don't remember Rust etc do it in the past? So not really.

Mario, Zelda, Splatoon 2 split Nintendo votes; Persona 5, Nier, Horizon split PS votes; PUBG get all PC and XBox votes.
PUBG gonna win.

Plum

I doubt they'll make a bad Mario game but we're these awards at least based off of them playing the game? Or was it like E3 where the awards are really all for best game I watched a dev play for a few minutes?

The only event Odyssey hasn't been playable at was the Switch January Event it was revealed in.

Current release window is Q4 2017. Brendan Greene made a statement a few months ago that the dev team would have PUBG done within 6 months of EA. He walked back on that statement the very next day, however, commenting that, while he still expects the game to be finished well before the end of the year, they'll take some extra time to polish things up if that's necessary. So we'll see.

lol?

Top Bottom