• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Party for Nintendo Switch has sold over 16 million units at $59.99 MSRP and set a new record for the franchise.

Bodomism

Banned
5JnQDk1.png

Truly a remarkable achievement in the industry.

b1a.gif

Jeeves

I don't know whether Mario Party superstars sales is going to surpass SMP or not, but it has received much better reception from both critics and users than SMP.
I really hope it does. I'd hate for Nintendo to take away the conclusion that people prefer SMP-style games over Superstars.

Nintendo got the money printers on every desk lol, its a real good time with the family but its not the best in the series of games

Last edited:
It's such a dull game, extremely disappointing. Hopefully it doesn't entirely set a precedent and we get games more inline with Superstars.

gundalf

I'm one of those guys who bought it at launch, no regrets ;)
Not at MSRP though, Amazon.de had it discounted from the start.

ThaGuy

My family and friends like the 2vs2 mode on here. It gets pretty competitive. Haven't tried the new one yet but heard good things.

drotahorror

One of the most boring Mario Party games. Only Mario Party 8 is worse than I can think of

I played Superstars for the first time last night. In the beginning you make a profile card and you choose your favorite Mario Party. Mario Party Switch isn't even on the list hah.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not sure if I've played this one, but the Mario Party I have played on the Switch is really bad. 16 million sales is rewarding bad behavior.

Kuranghi

I like how they call it 16.48 million pieces. They do that for all their games, and it never ceases to crack me up to pieces. One moment, while I tell my nieces after I sneeces.[/Dr._Seuss]

Yeah it IS funny I agree, like its just smashed up pieces of the games, its only actually 70k copies sold but they were each smashed into 235.42857142857142857142857142857 pieces so they can say "16.48 million pieces sold".

Those Nintendo PR people with their clever jargon!

"Nintendo Switch console sales has doubled for November over last month!":

D2c2-R7VAAAJUOL.jpg

Kuranghi

Not sure if I've played this one, but the Mario Party I have played on the Switch is really bad. 16 million sales is rewarding bad behavior.

SMP is from earlier in the year, Mario Party Superstars just came out and is like a remake of earlier games boards and minigame, greatest hits sort of thing afaik. I think the consenus is that the latter is better.

Kokoloko85

Damn. Thats alot of sales and its not even close to the best Mario Party.
And TBH its not very deserved compared to other Nintendo games.

1998N64Mario Party2.70[1]
1999N64Mario Party 22.48[1]
2000N64Mario Party 31.91[1]
2002GCNMario Party 42.46[1]
2003GCNMario Party 52.17[1]
2004GCNMario Party 61.63[1]
2005GBAMario Party Advance0.98*[2]
2005GCNMario Party 72.08[1]
2007WiiMario Party 88.85[1]
2007NDSMario Party DS9.31[1]
2012WiiMario Party 93.11[1]
20133DSMario Party: Island Tour2.90[1]
2015Wii UMario Party 102.26[3]
20163DSMario Party: Star Rush0.87*[4]
20173DSMario Party: The Top 1000.67*[5]
2018SwitchSuper Mario Party16.48

When Nintendo is doing well they do great, when they do bad they do really bad. Right now Nintendo is in the zone.

Nintendo is in an interesting position, will they carry on being successful and hit that forever mainstream market, like a COD/ Fifa/ GTA/ Pokemon etc and doesnt matter what they produce, people will lap it up? Or will there next console go back to bringing normal Nintendo results?

Not saying they havent released great hits on the Switch but that hasn’t always helped them in the past. It seems like when the mainstream love Nintendo there sales go over the roof. Wii/Switch, most handhelds etc. But sometimes they produce great quality and they don’t get the love and fall hard, N64/Gamecube/Wii U.

I think they will carry on this formula (Hybrid portable/console ) and actually truly seperate themselves from the competition and always be a mainstream success. Hopefully they will carry on doing the great games too

Top Bottom