• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Peterthumpa

http://nintendoeverything.com/super-mario-run-announced-for-mobile/

KYOTO, Japan, Sept. 8, 2016 JST –At an Apple event in San Francisco, CA earlier today, Nintendo announced that the leading man of video games will star in Super Mario Run, a full-sized Super Mario Bros. action platformer that has been developed specifically for mobile, and will be available first on the App Store this December. Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto took the stage at the event and put Mario through his paces in a multi-level demonstration instantly familiar to millions of fans worldwide. In the game, Mario runs forward on his own, but relies on the touch of a single finger to jump over obstacles, avoid pesky enemies and capture the flag pole to complete levels.

“We have created Super Mario Run to be perfect for playing on your iPhone,” said Mr. Miyamoto, who first devised the Mario character more than 35 years ago. “Super Mario has evolved whenever he has encountered a new platform, and for the first time ever, players will be able to enjoy a full-fledged Super Mario game with just one hand, giving them the freedom to play while riding the subway or my favorite, eating a hamburger.”

“The App Store has made so many things better in our lives – the way we communicate, the way we work and the way we have fun,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “But for gamers of all ages, the story just hasn’t been complete without Mario, so we are thrilled that Nintendo is bringing him to iOS for the first time this December.”

Super Mario Run has a mode in which the player collects coins and heads for the goal, and a mode in which the player competes against the acrobatic moves of other people who have completed the same course. In addition, there is a mode in which you create your own Mushroom Kingdom based upon these play results.

iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price. More details will be disclosed at a later date. The game has been developed with Mr. Miyamoto as lead creator for Nintendo.
Nintendo is also continuing its partnership with DeNA for the launch of Super Mario Run. It will be offered on the App Store this December in more than 100 different countries, and nine different languages.

To help iOS users get ready for the launch of Super Mario Run, a free Mario-themed sticker pack for the App Store for iMessage will launch this month. iMessage users can easily access and use these stickers in a variety of ways, bringing a bit of Mushroom Kingdom flavor to their conversations.

Super Mario Run represents the next phase of Nintendo’s expansion to mobile platforms, following the release of Miitomo earlier this year. After the launch of Super Mario Run in December, Nintendo plans to deliver its previously announced mobile device titles in the Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem series before the end of March, 2017.

CrxGwk6VYAAZXMF.jpg:large

screen696x696igsjv.jpeg
screen696x6962cstl.jpeg
screen696x696ucs3t.jpeg
screen696x696amshi.jpeg
screen696x6967usrn.jpeg

Nintendo said:
A new Mario game you can plaay with one hand!

At long last, Mario jumps into a new adventure on iPhone and iPad, this time playable using only one hand.

Even if this is your first Mario game, you won't be able to put it down!

In this game, you constantly move forward through the courses while using a variety of jumps to navigate. Your character will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it's up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.

Super Mario Run offers three different game modes:
- The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete.
- In the second mode, you challenge the play data of other people's completed courses. You compete to see who can finish the course with the most style!
- In the third mode, you can create your own Mushroom Kingdom using coins collected by playing the first two game modes.

apple-iphone-watch-20160907-3484.JPG

apple-iphone-watch-20160907-3497.JPG

apple-iphone-watch-20160907-3512.JPG

Live now at Apple's conference in San Francisco..

Details:

* First Mario title for mobile - "Super Mario Run"
* Touch/tap controls
* Appears to play similar to the Rayman games on iOS
* "Toad Rally" - asynchronous multiplayer - Beat their Score - style
* Releasing for the holidays

Personal thoughts:
Appears to play very similarly to the Rayman iOS games, which I liked - although you didn't have full control of Rayman

Blanquito

Heyoo!

Coming to iPhone.

"Doing it first on iOS".

"Super Mario Run"

Mario auto runs, you tap to have him jump.

"Toad Rally" : race against other people until time runs out. (Note that Phil S. is not Phil Spencer but Phil Schiller, Apple employee.)

No IAPs it sounds like.

Holidays 2016

Also Mario stickers for iMessage.

OmegaFax

Wow. Holy shit.

Edit:

It's still an exciting announcement.

Nintendo did a very, very good thing by making an appearance at an Apple keynote. Apple is very particular about who they choose to showcase at their keynotes. Whether Apple approached Nintendo or the other way around, it was an incredibly tactical and well done move that benefited both companies.

Pokemon Go (while not Nintendo directly) was another showcased product during the Apple Watch presentation. Watch functionality is a very natural, robust expansion to the smartphone app. It almost makes the Pokemon Go Plus accessory feel silly (but still worth mentioning because it hasn't shipped + it was done in partnership with Nintendo).

Back to Super Mario Run. The presentation left me wondering how the game hooks into My Nintendo and some extent, Miitomo, because the stage demo had a leaderboard system featuring Mii. It didn't look like the game itself has a way to create or edit Mii. It seemed like My Nintendo is going to be the backbone of online functionality (since it's a DeNA project, no shit). Do iOS users get an extra way to earn coins for their My Nintendo account? Will there be stat tracking and leaderboards available on My Nintendo or is Nintendo pushing back any major updates to My Nintendo until next year when Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem come out? My Nintendo related announcements during the NX debut that will be incorporated into Super Mario Run?

Top Bottom