• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Star World (sm64ds hack) 80% complete, new trailer.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

No really.

twUW70c.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I kind of feel like it doesn't exhibit nintendo game design.

Would rather play one of the 3d original again.

Stop advertising your project at anything but release day.

Kneefoil

That camera + SM64DS controls already tells me that I would probably hate this hack, if I played it. Those issues will also make jumping on moving platforms more annoying, although the mushrooms only moved vertically and not above bottomless pits, which is good.

True Fire

Why would anyone advertise a fan project at 80%? If they care about these things at all they wouldn't talk about them until they're done.

Drain You

Can't really put my finger on it but yea I agree. The red coin in the tree felt a little bit obtuse.

Ok, which one of you made this comment on the video?

Basically, for what should have been a fun video to show to a small-ish circle of followers, you have caught some unpleasant visibility and attention from certain sites where this is usually followed by the kiss of death in a matter of days (even romhacks like pokemon brown/prism) and after they get their clicks they dance on the project's corpse saying it was illegal to begin with and how the creator was stupid to do a video and he should be grateful for getting that visibility by THEM, and then they look for the next prey.

Looks fine, but mainly makes me wish that Nintendo had done more new levels in Mario 64 DS. The only new ones in it were really small.

I also get so nostalgic about Mario 64 coin noises and other sound effects. So good!

I've created threads for nearly every one of Skelux projects over there last long while, without issue. You guys are getting out of hand with some of this stuff.

Me and my wife still play his 2 player Mario 64 mod from time to time.

Actually watching the video made me think of the same thing. The whole game design of the level and how to get the coins seems really mediocre. That huge tree letting you walk on thin leafs is completely unexpected in a bad way.

I've created threads for nearly every one of Skelux projects over there last long while, without issue. You guys are getting out of hand with some of this stuff.

Considering how many high-profile hacks have been C&D lately, I'm not sure how you can say this. If any of these actually catch on with the mainstream, and sometimes even not, they're toast.

Platy

Starts with a place that requires a triple jump to access.

Yup, that is a fanmade mario level.

I will pass =P

Same.

I haven't played too many Mario hacks, but it seems they either fall in the category of hard-as-balls asshole hacks or just a random hodgepodge of stuff with no real cohesion.

SM Star Road by Skelux is good though? Why all the hate? It's definitely niche but its one of the better SM64 hacks out there. If you're into that you'll probably like this. Skelex has a proven record.

BooJoh

Same.

I haven't played too many Mario hacks, but it seems they either fall in the category of hard-as-balls asshole hacks or just a random hodgepodge of stuff with no real cohesion.

That's the feeling I got watching it. It was like watching an average Mario Maker level but in Mario 64.

Anth0ny

All that matters: is the run button gone?

does it feel like mario 64? cause 64 ds felt like crap in comparison.

too bad it's gonna get cancelled

faint.

Just looks like a bunch of things mashed together. I'm not sure I'll care when Nintendo issues the C&D on this one.

And yeah, the Patron he setup indirectly asking for people to fund a game using another companies IP. Good luck.

Neff

Asking for money to make Nintendo romhacks? Seems like a smart plan with a long, healthy life.

SM Star Road by Skelux is good though? Why all the hate? It's definitely niche but its one of the better SM64 hacks out there. If you're into that you'll probably like this. Skelex has a proven record.

The level design gets really bad towards middle of the game. Mad Musical Madness, Colossal Candy Cluster, and Cloudrail Station come to mind when thinking about frustrating moments in Star Road, and it doesn't get much better from there. If you're a master of Super Mario 64's movement and controls, by all means Star Road will be a good time, if you're a casual player, prepare to die.

Thankfully, the DS port does look like it's fixing the issues so far, so it gives me more expectations than initially

All that matters: is the run button gone?

does it feel like mario 64? cause 64 ds felt like crap in comparison.

You run by default, the controls were tweaked to be more like the N64 game now, even though wall jumping in 64DS was better since you hugged the wall rather than bounced off...

There's also an app SKELUX made to have the DS emulator desmume use a controller's stick as touch screen inputs, ergo, you can have full analog controls for Mario 64 DS

OmegaFax

There's a risk of doing ROM hacks with or without a Patreon page. It's a neat ROM hack and I can appreciate someone taking time out of their day to do something they really like.

The music though ... ooo ... it doesn't fit a Mario game. Can't quite place it but it sounds like "Winter Wonderland" in a different key?

Falk

that puzzling face

I think you're misunderstanding some of the replies. They're not piling on you. They're piling on _____ for talking about ______ before it's completely done because historical precedent shows ______ is more likely to C&D with any type of signal boost.

edit: clarity

Neptonic

No the gif is from a video telling fangame/hack creators to stop talking about their cool shit before it's done, becuase it might get C&Ded.

Top Bottom