• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Marvel vs Capcom: Hype Train to Comic Con; Now Boarding! Lupinko @ post 500+

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
enzo_gt said:
I WAS WORKING ON IT THE ENTIRE TIME.

The Green Jello doing the soundtrack for Maximum Carnage stuff was suggested wayyyy back when the jello tweets first came out by people on SRK. Chalk it up as a coincidence.

Anyways here it is so far, I edited the Frank West, Cable and Asura bits slightly too. I'm only keeping the Asura bit because the Official MvC3 Twitter tweet is suspect, but aside from that, we should consider it very low on the scale of evidence. Apologies for any formatting errors, I tried to make it a bit more readable too.

SUMMARY OF THE HINTS ABOUT SUPER MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 THUS FAR PROVIDED BY LUPINKO
Please note that not all of these are roster related:

1) clockw0rk
Strider Hiryu
"All I know is dat shit will be goin' clockw0rk, hype bitches cuz he be comin' for ya neo"
  • A reference to Clockw0rk, a notable player of MvC3 who played against another player Neo in a money match. Clockw0rk played Strider/Doom/Sentinel
  • Lupinko said we got 2 obvious clues, this is the first.
Lupinko snuck a silhouette of Strider into one of his twitpics.

2) indeed, getting hype
Phoenix Wright
"なるほど、ハイプになるだよ!(`_´)ゞ"
  • Roughly translates to: Phoenix Wright's name in Japanese followed by HYPE and what looks like a little dude pointing.
  • Lupinko said we got 2 obvious clues, this is the second.

3) bill cosby
Dr. Strange
"just remember, imma continue to use my playa hatin' degree, so watch out mofos"
  • The playa hatin' degree bit can be interpreted as a reference to a Ph.D or a doctorate, as a reference to Dr. Strange. [Source]
"so i was wondering, do they still make jello commercials? i mean isn't it amazing that there green and blue and all other wacky colours
of jello? it's like some sort of wizardry or something like dat"
  • Due to the inclusion of Dr. Strange villains in the game already, people are pointing towards Dr. Strange because of the reference to Wizardry and his colourful use of magic. However, Mandarin and Mysterio have also notably rocked Blue and Green colour schemes (as well as purple and other jello-y colours).
  • This is a reference to the Jello commercials that Bill Cosby did in the 80s. In one of his 80s shows, Cosby was credited as "Dr. Cosby." A possible reference to Dr. Strange. [Source]
Additionally, MasterChibi on SRK mentioned that one of Gill, Mysterio or Dr. Strange is in the game.

4) wolverine not getting sick
Cable disconfirmed
"Get ready to die cause it's gonna get rough"
  • Cable is known for saying "Time to get Rough" in his MvC2 incarnation.
"And in my mind
I'm a, blind man doin' time Look to my future
cause my past is all behind me
Is it a crime to fight for what is mine"
  • 2pac lyrics from Only God Can Judge Me that can be interpreted as a reference to Cable's backstory revolving around time travel and fighting for the world's and his own survival.
"too bad that guy didn't allow john to get dem aids, smh no more aegis reflector
whoops my bad, loljohn, more like loljames"
  • First things first, MasterChibi explicitly stated that these tweets were in reference to the opposite of anything thus far, and therefore a disconfirmation of a character. This is very important, because it suggests Cable is disconfirmed.
  • Okay this one is huge, and there were so many people guessing so many things everywhere so I'll just summarize without going into a massive amount of detail. Lupinko corrected his first tweet with the second, meaning that "this guy" didn't allow James to get the aids in time. James Howlett is the birth name of Wolverine.
  • Aegis Reflector is one of Urien's moves in SF3. Urien and Cable share a voice actor. Lawrence Bayne. "No more Aegis Reflector" may mean no more Cable.
" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3IJ9KM_hKY#t=2m12s "
  • In this video, we see Cable preventing Wolverine from getting aid from Bishop after Wolverine got knocked into the techno-organic virus by Apocalypse. Possibly being the final nail in the coffin for Cable's disconfirmation. The general consensus is that Cable is the one who's been disconfirmed. crimsonspider89 summed it up alternatively here as well.

5) 12 donuts
crimsonspider89 suggested that "12 donuts could refer to character roster or a year away at the time" to which Lupinko replied, "You are close with those."
  • If we are to take this as being close, but not on the money, this could potentially mean one of two things in reference to the number 12: Either that it will be released in the 12th month of the year, December, or it will be released in 2012.
  • The video being released around Christmas may suggest that this is a reference to the release of DLC being 12 months out from the date of posting, or in Christmas 2011.
  • Additional theories sugges that this is the total number of characters being added as DLC/in the new release: 12.

6) something red
Carnage
"sup bitches, all i got 2 say is dat dis is one reddest motherfucker, gaddaymn
non-parental advisory version: someone very red"
  • Carnage is a very recognizably red symbiote. Additionally, the Carnage symbiote's first host, Cletus Kasady, was a redhead.
  • Although less relevant, the marketing campaign for the Maximum Carnage video game was centred around "Paint the town Red." Read on to hint #9 below for how Maximum Carnage relates to the possibility of Carnage being in the game. [Source]
"look the only hint is someone very red, there may be something else thrown to add to it, but that was it really, lolsrk
anyway the helper hint i threw out to go with something sehr rot hint is a meme that a certain forum will only know, believe"
  • These tweets indicate that the identity of the red character would be clarified by a forum-specific meme, which was likely GAF due to the 'believe' tagged on at the end of the tweet, and confirmed when lupinko went on to post in the GAF SMvC3 thread that the identity of the red character would become clear once people found the GAF meme related to it.
  • The GAF meme this is referencing is a short lived and partially obscure one revolving around Aunt May being Carnage in Spiderman 3. A reactionary thread to someone falling for the meme is here.

7) car engine
The car tweets:
"trying to see if something old fits in the car engine, wonder how that would work out
personally for this kind of matter, going old skool may sound interesting but could be pulled off wrong"
crimsonspider89 suggested that "Car is probably something not roster related. *gulp* Please tell me not Megacrash" to which Lupinko replied, "Ditto on being close with that."
  • This would imply some sort of game mechanic from previous Vs. games, is in this game. It is up in the air as to which mechanic this could be.
  • Also, lupinko noted that: "actually while i'm being honest here, the car analogy was an unrelated hint to the something very red"

8) hmm, i forgot the 8th hint, meh
Jubilee
crimsonspider89 asked lupinko, "Do you happen to remember what was the eight hint? Thinking either the yellow fever and Jubillee thing or the chocolate milk/orange juice" to which lupinko replied, "I don't remember the 8th thing at the moment, it is late and I believe I've caught a fever, unfortunately it's not for more cowbell."
  • The fever he has that is not for cowbell, is a referece to previous tweets below referencing yellow fever, and thus Jubilee as the identity of the character being hinted at in the 8th clue.
"fuck, keep in mind, i don't have yellow fever, i just know a hot girl when i see one" @Barlog_WINS , 2011"
  • Yellow Fever is a reference to a particular liking to Asian women, and Jubilee happens to be Chinese. Also could be an obvious reference to Jubilee's classic yellow jacket she wore.
"We all know Alysson Court is the one true Jubilee (and Claire Redfield!), Catherine Disher, Cedric Smith, Lawrence Bayne, I could go on & on"
  • Direct reference of Jubilee. Makes Jubilee a questionable leak due to the crypticness of the rest of the riddles, but falls in line with lupinko saying he threw us a bone.
"My need to feed"
"I gotta find it fast"
"To keep me alive"
  • Vampire-ish talk. Jubilee is currently in vampiric form in the comics.
"No more freebies going forward."
  • Immediately after saying he threw us a bone recently in the thread, people guessed Jubilee and within 15 posts lupinko replied with this, suggesting he practically gave this one away.

9)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky-MPIA9U2Y #datmarvel word
that previous hint is easier than what you think it is and don't be crying dear diary later on #datmarvel
btw that hint was new #datmarvel 9 now
and all this does is confirm a set of earlier hints so this hint just narrows down things #datmarvel
Carnage
  • The link posted in the first tweet is an episode of the TV series, Mighty Max. The Max in the show title is a possible reference to Maximum Carnage, the comic book series crossover and eventual video game adaptation entitled Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage for Sega Genesis and SNES.
  • The last tweet here says that this recent set of hints narrows down the guesses people have been making for a previous set of hints, presumably hint #6 above. This was posted at a time when forums were speculating everyone from Bishop to Mephisto as being inclusions.
"hmm, i had another hint, but i realized it's far too vulgar and would make things far too easy #datmarvel
The notworksafe hint revolves around a one time relationship of a dubious nature #datmarvel
strange bedfellows and red are part of the same hint #datmarvel and kimber was a cute redhead too! #jemformvc3"
  • The dubious relationship hinted at is possibly the unlikely teaming-up between Venom and Spiderman in the Maximum Carnage video game when Venom and Spiderman came together as allies against Carnage. The section of the game where Venom and Spiderman teamed up was prefaced with a heading stating "Strange Bedfellows." [Source1] [Source2]
  • The final tweet here asserts the connection between hints #9 and #6, that both conclusively point towards Carnage's inclusion in the game.
"#datmarvel remember you must think outside of the box as it is out of left field, for the previous hint"
  • This character inclusion is considered left field because in the Capcom-Unity forum poll that's goal was to discover the most requested characters for MvC3 DLC, Venom was the #1 pick on the Marvel side, with Carnage coming in at #3. It would seem that Venom would be a more likely pick for a symbiote inclusion based off of poll popularity. [Source]
  • An alternative way of looking at it would be that the uneasy alliance between Spiderman and Venom against Carnage was left field. [Source]
"actually while i'm being honest here, the car analogy was an unrelated hint to the something very red"
  • In this tweet, lupinko says that an incidental, not intended, connection is possible between the car analogy in hint #7 and the character in hint #6. The incidental reference here is probably the word "car" being part of the name of the character being hinted at in hint #6, Carnage. [Source]
  • It should be noted that as Carnage discussion kicked up in the GAF thread, lupinko supposodly tweeted something along the lines of "#datgafthreadboutdaygametobeannouncedatsdcc ;-)" and quickly deleted it within a minute of posting, but it was caught by Karsticles. [Source1] [Source2]

UNLISTED BY LUPINKO AS HINTS BUT PROBABLE:

Frank West or Chuck Greene? [GameFAQs theory of whether it's Chuck or Frank; possibly invalidated by Lupinko being unsure himself]
  • Just around the release of MvC3, it was found that Frank West and Dr. Octopus folders were listed in the directories containing character files on the MvC3 retail disc. No textures, models, animations, sounds or artwork were found on the disc. [Source]
  • Niitsuma has publicly commented on Frank West and his absence from MvC3's original release. The reason cited was extra work that was required because of the nature of his moveset. This implies Frank West was close to completion, and has at least been worked on despite not being included. [Source]
"You know combining orange juice and chocolate milk actually makes a great drink, I recommend it, gives you the boost and nutrition"
  • Refers to a recipe in Dead Rising that combines Orange Juice and Milk. [Source]

Doctor Octopus
  • Just around the release of MvC3, it was found that Frank West and Dr. Octopus folders were listed in the directories containing character files on the MvC3 retail disc. No textures, models, animations, sounds or artwork were found on the disc. [Source]
"just remember, imma continue to use my playa hatin' degree, so watch out mofos"
  • The playa hatin' degree bit can be interpreted as a reference to a Ph.D or a doctorate, as a reference to Doctor Octopus. [Source]
"Hey does anyone remember the movie babe? the one about the talking pig? that was a good movie, james cromwell was dope in it"
  • James Cromwell voiced Captain Stacey in Spiderman 3, who was killed off by Doctor Octopus in the comics. [Source]

Asura
We've got a new franchise in Asura's Wrath. Wouldn't he be awesome as a character in MvC3? http://fb.me/JQCrnZNL
  • First mention recently of character a character that would be cool as an inclusion in MvC3. Notably, before Sentinel's official announcement for inclusion in MvC3, the official MvC3 twitter also made tweets about Sentinel.
  • Please note that this is not a confirmation of Asura being in the game, just because it was mentioned by the Official MvC3 Twitter. This could easily just be Capcom utilizing it's various PR outlets to create buzz and promote their new franchise.
" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-je6hkGoL0 "
  • The video link quotes Star Trek's Wrath of Khan, the "Wrath" bit would suggest that Asura is in the game.

As always, if you see something incorrect, or have something to add, please notify me by posting in this thread.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ryota_Niitsuma/status/87914041577713664

Yeah, I'm going. RT @Veg1v0 Hello Niitsuma-san will you be at Comic-Con?

http://twitter.com/#!/lupinko/status/87745487234535424

talkin' bout dat marvel, sumthang bout dat announcement coming up sumtime, ya hear?

San Diego Comic Con -
July 21 - July 24
http://www.comic-con.org/

5-7 days for possible early reveal
9 days for July 23rd's Panel

*starting up train's engine*

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh goodness. This is either going to be awesome, or a complete train wreck.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If they really release SMvC I hope we'll get an option to download an update like with SSFIV:AE.

I'm going to be pretty surprised if there is an actual Super Marvel vs Capcom announcement soon. They haven't released nearly as many costume packs for the original as I expected.

rainking187 said:
I'm going to be pretty surprised if there is an actual Super Marvel vs Capcom announcement soon. They haven't released nearly as many costume packs for the original as I expected.
They got the ones out that they could before the end of the Financial Year. After that, they realized they could take their sweet time.

My general assumption is that they likely have been holding back all the DLC and patches for a few months in order to sell it as one big download expansion for ~$15.

Valnen

They should have a new character from every Capcom franchise already represented...

That way I get Vergil :D. Screw Dante. He was only like the 5th most requested character though =(.

YoungHav said:
will buy used so they miss out on a sale. Thats what they get for gimping MvC3 w/less features than SSF4.

They'll probably find a way to fuck used buyers over by that time. A voucher that allows the entire roster to be playable upon code entry, while used buyers get 10-15 characters.

RCizzle65

Neo Member
Has the regular one even gone on sale since it came out? Like, games are having sales or dropping in price so quickly nowadays, but I don't ever recall hearing that MvsC3 was ever on sale.

daffy

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
My general assumption is that they likely have been holding back all the DLC and patches for a few months in order to sell it as one big download expansion for ~$15.
dicksideeye.gif

Shameful.

Valnen

RCizzle65 said:
Has the regular one even gone on sale since it came out? Like, games are having sales or dropping in price so quickly nowadays, but I don't ever recall hearing that MvsC3 was ever on sale.
It appears to be on sale for $36 on Amazon right now actually.

I knew Marvel was barebones going in but I was hoping it'd get patched up to something of value.

Yeah, not gonna buy super or whatever the hell you wanna call it, Capcom.

brb

Super Marvel? Already? Didn't the original game just come out a couple months ago?

Capcom :( stealing away money from my wallet by releasing the same games multiple times.

Toki767

What happened to Capcom saying they wouldn't keep coming out with iterations? Especially when they could just DLC everything.

Mengetsu

Valnen said:
They should have a new character from every Capcom franchise already represented...

That way I get Vergil :D. Screw Dante. He was only like the 5th most requested character though =(.

This this and this. Will not buy without my Vergil!!

Nemesis556 said:
Wasn't their original license just to create MvsC3 and that's it? >_>
MvC3 did pretty well, so they probably re-acquired the license again. (Assuming that another game wasn't a part of the deal.)

I just hope they don't skimp on the alternative modes this time around. TvC had more single player content than MvC3, ffs.

daffy

Banned
Gravijah said:
Is it? Would you rather pay 15 dollars for 3 characters or 15 dollars for an expansion?

Edit: Holding patches back, aside. That part would be shameful.
I'd rather have paid earlier when I was still interested in playing. Ideally I should've gotten it when I bought the game. Now they're gonna rewrap things that should've been available already to spark interest again? At least with SSFIV it was worth it and I didn't feel cheated.

Tymerend

Not terribly surprising if true. If they can fix the online stuff to make it more enjoyable and toss in at least four more characters, I'd consider plunking down 15 bucks for it. Especially if they would have otherwise continued to charge five dollars for each additional character they put out.

Of course, I'm also sick of all the stunts Capcom has been pulling in regards to goofy DRM decisions and 'Oh, we did it for an arcade feel' comments.

The internal argument dies and I purchase the next iteration day one if they bring back Strider. I have no will power.

RCizzle65

Neo Member
Valnen said:
It appears to be on sale for $36 on Amazon right now actually.
Oh okay, it just crossed my mind when I walked into Best Buy the other day, with Brink and Alice already $40, then I saw Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 for $60 still.

LakeEarth

As a stream viewer, I pray for a Pheonix nerf, and a decrease in flashy shit and those jab feathers. When there are two Dark Pheonixes on screen, you cannot tell whats going on and you might as well just look at the life bars and see which one drains to 0 in an instant.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ultimate/Hyper MvC3 imo.

Seems a bit early for a Comic Con hype thread. What are we supposed to talk about? I hear Nitsuma was spotted with Roll's VA recently, for what it's worth.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sixfortyfive said:
Ultimate/Hyper MvC3 imo.

Seems a bit early for a Comic Con hype thread. What are we supposed to talk about? I hear Nitsuma was spotted with Roll's VA recently, for what it's worth.

Also He were talking about Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter's Feylea(spelling?).

IntelliHeath said:
Also He were talking about Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter's Feylea(spelling?).
Felyne. And yeah, he apparently talked about VA stuff concerning Phoenix Wright and Felyne at a recent event.

Seems random, considering he has nothing to do with either series.

Teknoman

If it comes in a download like SSFIV AE, i'll be fine. Really MvC3 could just get replays, spectator, and more characters added and i'd be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom