• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy sold on Ubuntu without consent, Team Meat went a year without payment

Mock if old, searched couldn't find anything

Came up when people questioned about Isaac being in the HiB

Formspring User said:
You said the game was rejected by the UbuntuSC guys, how comes that with the Humble Bundle 7 they claim "We're sorry that Binding of Issac [...] are not available. [...] the authors of Binding of Issac declined to make their game available and we respect"

Ed McMillen said:
they are just trying to save face. they rejected isaac a while ago because its content "wasnt a good fit for the Ubuntu store" then changed their tune once they found out how popular it was and that it was a part of the HIB.

but since they are going out of their way to try and avoid the fact that they rejected isaac, ill also make public the 2nd reason why isaac isnt in their store.

Last year Ubuntu added Super Meat Boy to their store without our written permission and sold it for a full year without paying us. we didnt find this out till a few months ago and had to contact them directly about it in order to get our payment.... i dont trust or respect their actions and wont be working with them ever again.

i was trying to be cool about it but if they want to publicly state that i declined their offer to sell Isaac in their store without context to why.. then ill go public with my VERY valid reasons.

feel free to re-post this message or link this to any one who might be misinformed, im not a fan of being made to look like an asshole when my reasons are quite valid.

EDIT: Update from V_Ben's post

SMB co-developer
Tommy Refenes said:
To add more context to Eds statement about Isaac and the Ubuntu store...they still have not paid us for Super Meat Boy sales.

EDIT Again: Update from Vagabundo's post

From the comment section
davidpitkin said:
Hi Edmund, let's figure the confusion out as soon as possible. There were some crossed wires with the Humble Indie Bundle 5 launch and Super Meat Boy plus the lack of age restrictions in the Ubuntu App Store for Issac but nothing more I thought : (

David Pitkin,Director of Consumer Applications at Canonical.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, I'm more shocked at Ubuntu getting an app store.

Oh wait, Canonical? So it's another party trying to make some cash in an open source OS?

Atolm

Ubuntu had an App Store before than Windows or even iOS/ Android...in fact you could say most modern app stores come from the Linux repository systems...

Massa

Yeah, I'm more shocked at Ubuntu getting an app store.

Oh wait, Canonical? So it's another party trying to make some cash in an open source OS?

Canonical is the company that owns and develops Ubuntu. The "app store" is how they distribute the thousands of free software that are normally part of an Ubuntu/Debian distribution, and also where they sell proprietary applications and games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Canonical is the company that owns and develops Ubuntu. The "app store" is how they distribute the thousands of free software that are normally part of an Ubuntu/Debian distribution, and also where they sell proprietary applications and games.

Ah I see, thanks for the info! I never thought the Ubuntu team has an actual name (Canonical), I always thought it's just Ubuntu team.

Grayman

That is a very bad practice for canonical. This should be very damaging to their store. I wonder if they have done that to more vendors.

Canonical used to be a pretty decent bunch. Now it just seems they get lower and lower with every passing month.

I wonder how many copies of Super Meat Boy were sold through that store.

Hyun Sai

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Team Meat complained about Xbox live before that, no ? The irony.

Anyway, how can a developper miss his game being sold on one platform for one year ?

zoku88

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.

Uhm, they didn't say they wouldn't make a Linux game again. They said they wouldn't work with Canonical again.

Those are two VERY different things...

Please note: The reason they said this was because they were asked why Binding of Isaac wasn't released on the Ubuntu Store and is just available through the humble indie bundle (part of the req for the bundle is to have a Linux version.) Thus, they clearly made a Linux game after they decided to not work with Canonical again.

This confirms why I'll NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER use a Canonical product again

Mesoian

They've already said they won't work with Microsoft ever again and now they won't ever make a Linux game again. They are quickly depleting their options.

...Steam, Google Play, iOS, Origin, PSN, Wiiware.

No, I think they're doing just fine

Haunted

I don't know what's worse, the Ubuntu store selling SMB without authorisation or it going unnoticed for months because no one fucking uses it. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I don't know what's worse, the Ubuntu store selling SMB without authorisation or it going unnoticed for months because no one fucking uses it. :lol
Best part is the people selling it probably even knew they had a good chance of getting away with it because no one would notice

JaxJag

Banned
Care to explain? I fail to see the irony.

I think he's saying the Team Meat guys complain a lot. They also seemed like they weren't very likable/awkward in that documentary they were in a few years back, Indie Game: The Movie I think it's called.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't know there were a lot of people who dislike Ubuntu here. I thought generally GAF liked Ubuntu.

Also I never knew SMB was on the store, lol ...

Haunted

I think he's saying the Team Meat guys complain a lot. They also seemed like they weren't very likable/awkward in that documentary they were in a few years back, Indie Game: The Movie I think it's called.
So they should be ok with people selling their games without their consent? Note that they even kept quiet about it until this episode where the Ubuntu people made them look bad by not providing the context needed for the decision to not work with them anymore. Honestly, I'm not sure what the fuck you're even arguing here.

And if you thought McMillen wasn't very likable in the movie, I don't know what to tell you, just that you seem to be a bad judge of human beings.

Didn't know there were a lot of people who dislike Ubuntu here. I thought generally GAF liked Ubuntu.

Maybe GAF used to. I certainly did. The last year or two for Ubuntu has been a very, VERY steep downhill slope. One bad decision after another.

They just aren't very likable. Go watch Indie Game: The Movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKV5cqsi3wQ

It doesn't overwrite their complaints, which tend to be very accurate and critical for a legitimate reason. You can be an unlikable person and still have a valid perspective.

EDIT: Uh, part of a piling on. Sorry.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Wait beyond that not being relevant, they came off as very likable in the movie. I'm confused.

Well I was talking about the people in the movie in general not Team Meat specifically. I probably should have clarified there since I thought Team Meat was alright.

Top Bottom