• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball 3: When???????

Death

Banned
My friends and I are still playing the first Super Monkey Ball -- not liking the second one too much -- and I'm wondering if there's any news regarding the third installment of the franchise. Anyone have details with respect to the release date and gameplay of this title?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Not even announced, can't wait for it though. The last I heard some Sega guy said there was room in the world for a 3rd one but not sure when. Also there is that possibly compilation title scheduled for ps2?

You should give #2 another shot, I'm going through the single player again trying to do the extra and master levels on expert, and I think #1 definately had the better single player game (mainly due to the simple yet difficult of levels and no buying extra lives with play points), but the minigames are pretty good.

My dream for monkey ball 3 is to have a skill mission, similar to monkey ball 1 single player and a puzzle mission, with switches etc and things like sticky ball where the monkey can roll on the underside of platforms etc.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I really enjoyed Super Monkey Ball and I beleive it offered better singleplayer but it wasn't that much of an improvement over the second one. The second's multiplayer is still very well done and quite enjoyable thanks to the story mode and level progression. However if you plan on playing this game with friend's you MUST pick up the second game, the multiplayer is simply leagues ahead of the original.

If there is a God then Monkey Ball 3 will be made.

Deg

Banned
Like all SEGA franchises they will do a sequel when its fanbase is dead and the game long forgotten.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Monkey Ball 3 WAS announced a while back. It was even given a subtitle. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Crazy I believe. It was also confirmed that the game would have LAN support for up to 8 people.

When we spoke to some Sega reps pre-E3 and asked them about it, they dropped hints that it'd be there, but then (as we all know), it was a no-show.

Death

Banned
Super Monkey Ball 2 might have had the better multiplayer, but right now, my buddies and I are competing through the one-player stages of the first Super Monkey Ball, beating each other's times. The problem with Super Monkey Ball 2 is that it emphasizes timing and not so much thumb reflexes and skill.

Proof of SMB3 in development by Sega (and given a release date, too!):

http://cube.ign.com/articles/402/402022p1.html

Death said:
Proof of SMB3 in development by Sega (and given a release date, too!):

http://cube.ign.com/articles/402/402022p1.html

"It is still unclear if Sega will demonstrate the title at E3 2003."

Ahem. I don't know if these reports by Japanese magazines were ever independently confirmed (as in reported somewhere other than IGN), but Nagoshi-san told me personally at E3 2003 that the game was not in development, and seeing that there hasn't been a peep out of Sega in over a year since, I'm inclined to believe that he was telling the truth.

GDJustin said:
When we spoke to some Sega reps pre-E3 and asked them about it, they dropped hints that it'd be there, but then (as we all know), it was a no-show.

I guess this proves how much these "reps" actually do know ;)

Monkey ball 2 was missing the multiplayer co-op mode that smb1 had. That almost ruined it for me. Other than that, smb2 was just as enjoyable as smb1, even tho it was somewhat different.

Top Bottom