• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Muscle Bomber on the CPS 2 - one of the last great 2D wrestling arcade games

VGEsoterica

Anyone else get the chance to play this? I really miss classic 2D wrestling games in the arcade and at home. While the modern WWE games are fun for a bit, these arcade style wrestling games were really some of my favorites back in the day.

I do prefer the original Muscle Bomber a bit more due to its freedom of movement around the ring, as Super Muscle Bomber plays a bit more like a fighting game at times, but its still an absolutely fun experience.

Weird the game was never ported. It's either original B board, Darksoft multi, or emulation.

Curious who else has played this one?

This game is the tits; awesome OST and great characters. Some of these guys should've absolutely been brought back in SFV (like Scorpion, who I guess was something of a template for El Fuerte in IV. But he shits all over Fuerte without even trying).

This made me want to play it again sometime, it would be neat if Capcom acknowledged the existence of these games and put them in a compilation or on that fighting stick emulation console of theirs.

VGEsoterica

This game is the tits; awesome OST and great characters. Some of these guys should've absolutely been brought back in SFV (like Scorpion, who I guess was something of a template for El Fuerte in IV. But he shits all over Fuerte without even trying).

This made me want to play it again sometime, it would be neat if Capcom acknowledged the existence of these games and put them in a compilation or on that fighting stick emulation console of theirs.

Right? Capcom is sitting on a massive catalog of unported games. I don't understand why they don't tap that potential

Slam Masters was one of those games I played a lot as a kid but I never actually learned how to play it in any legitimate way. We'd just quarter feed and lose or later, rent the SNES ver and spam shit against each other. Still good memories though. Also was cool going back to it later in life and recognizing all the art was done by Tetsuo Hara. That and by then I knew enough to notice like half the cast where blatant knock-offs.

On the subject of arcade wrestling itself, the only arcade wrestling games I ever spent decent time with were WWF: The Arcade Game (Which was only partially a wrestling game) and Blazing Tornado. Though in both cases these were still the console ports. =P

VGEsoterica

Slam Masters was one of those games I played a lot as a kid but I never actually learned how to play it in any legitimate way. We'd just quarter feed and lose or later, rent the SNES ver and spam shit against each other. Still good memories though. Also was cool going back to it later in life and recognizing all the art was done by Tetsuo Hara. That and by then I knew enough to notice like half the cast where blatant knock-offs.

On the subject of arcade wrestling itself, the only arcade wrestling games I ever spent decent time with were WWF: The Arcade Game (Which was only partially a wrestling game) and Blazing Tornado. Though in both cases these were still the console ports. =P

something tells me most of the people to play this and the original Muscle Bomber just spammed attacks lol. Especially as kids...when I originally played it I’m sure I just hammered on buttons randomly and hoped for the best

marquimvfs

It really looks fun, but I can easily see why it never leaved arcades. The game looks and plays just like a Super Street Fighter II hack/reskin.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I never got into wrestling games like this, but I've never seriously sat down and played one. I played a couple, like King of the Monsters on the Neo Geo, but it felt a bit too button mash-y. Is there more to Super Muscle Bomber than that?

(as if I needed an excuse to add yet another CPS2 board to my list)

Edit: Gonna watch the video for an answer to my above question.

Last edited:
It really looks fun, but I can easily see why it never leaved arcades. The game looks and plays just like a Super Street Fighter II hack/reskin.

It has a few things not featured in any of the SF games though; ringside rope mechanics universal for all the characters, a holds system, etc. Of course it has some SF DNA in it (why wouldn't they bring what works to another IP), but it has enough differences in the gameplay to have warranted a home port IMO.

I'll put it this way: it's got more differences from SF than DarkStalkers or Cyberbots, yet those got home ports. So I think SM2 (the first one did get a SNES port) just kind of got forgotten by Capcom during the mid '90s, that's all.

VGEsoterica

It's too bad its still forgotten. Would be a fun port to modern systems with some netcode built in for online matches

I think it's playable in Fightcade online (they certainly have even more obscure games with netplay featured, don't see why SMB wouldn't be covered), but that's about it. And having tried Fightcade for Third Strike in the past...it was kinda painful. Maybe it's gotten better now though :/.

Top Bottom