• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Skilletor

My stick stopped working completely on PC with this latest update of windows 10. It's like the driver doesn't exist at all now for my TE2. I can't get it to work. Did this happen to anyone else?

My TES+ still works. I don't have a TE2 near me to test.

Syntsui

Coming from the Fighting Commander 4, playing with the RAP4 makes me feel like I've never played Street Fighter in my life. Even jumping is complicated lol. I'm slowly getting the hang of it but it is clear that it will take months before I get comfortable.

One thing that is bothering me and I didn't expect is the spinning balltop, is it normal that it freely spins? I feels so cheap.

DiGiKerot

Coming from the Fighting Commander 4, playing with the RAP4 makes me feel like I've never played Street Fighter in my life. Even jumping is complicated lol. I'm slowly getting the hang of it but it is clear that it will take months before I get comfortable.

One thing that is bothering me and I didn't expect is the spinning balltop, is it normal that it freely spins? I feels so cheap.

If you mean that the entire shaft spins, yes, that's normal. The ball top would probably unscrew constantly if the shaft didn't spin with it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Where do y'all get the cases from? I'm looking to build a stick for my retroPie, sourcing the buttons, sticks, wiring, PCBs, etc. All no problem, but where do you get the cases/bodies?

I feel like I've been searching for the wrong thing.

Amazon has the Qanba Carbon (PC/Android) for $50 at the moment. Maybe that would make a decent (if small) case.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSQE7IY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And of course, if you've got the proper tools for woodworking, you could make your own case. Some of them come out really nice.

I've seen some lovely custom CNC milled aluminum cases but that's probably an order of magnitude more expensive.

Where do y'all get the cases from? I'm looking to build a stick for my retroPie, sourcing the buttons, sticks, wiring, PCBs, etc. All no problem, but where do you get the cases/bodies?

I feel like I've been searching for the wrong thing.
what are you looking for? Tek innovations makes a nice acrylic case

This acrylic case also looks fantastic
http://www.arcadestick-indonesia.com/detail/vm-4-case-55.html

If you are looking for something small though, im not sure

shockdude

In addition to the Qanba Carbon, the Mayflash V2 and Mayflash F300 should also be good cheap case options as they are built like tanks. The V2 is slightly smaller than a TE, the F300 is even smaller.
Note that the button holes are slightly smaller than standard and will only fit Sanwa snap-ins. If you want Seimitsu buttons, you'll need to get a metal file and file down the holes until the buttons fit.

FocusAttack has a decent guide describing what parts are needed for building a custom fightstick case (and the rest of the stick).

Cindres

Useful stuff there so far, I should have mentioned. I have basic woodworking equipment but I live in a flat with no outside area.

Should also have mentioned I'm in the UK. I was thinking of acrylic cases or I guess just relatively inexpensive fight sticks.

Looking at the examples so far, are you buying full sticks and stripping them out/swapping the components?

Useful stuff there so far, I should have mentioned. I have basic woodworking equipment but I live in a flat with no outside area.

Should also have mentioned I'm in the UK. I was thinking of acrylic cases or I guess just relatively inexpensive fight sticks.

Looking at the examples so far, are you buying full sticks and stripping them out/swapping the components?
thats what many were recommending, my examples were empty cases. That option can often be cheaper. Here is the link for the tek innovations acrylic http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120

shockdude

Yeah, the full sticks we're recommending come with cheap parts that can be easily swapped out. They also come with PCBs that should all be compatible with the RetroPie out of the box, if you're interested in that.
The Mayflash V2 and Mayflash F300 are also in the UK. There's also the Venom stick if you're feeling ambitious and also want a PS4 stick (plus easier artwork modding).
Caveat I just realized: if you're using a new PCB, you'll have to connect the Start/Select buttons in the upper-left corner to your new PCB somehow. Could be as easy as sticking a wire in a pinhole, or it could require soldering.

But yeah if you have woodworking equipment then you should consider make your own stick, it'd be a ton of fun. I'd suggest making an account on SRK and reading guides there.

Cindres

thats what many were recommending, my examples were empty cases. That option can often be cheaper. Here is the link for the tek innovations acrylic http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120

That'd be cool too, again only problem is (and apologies as I forgot to mention in my first post) that I;'m in the UK.

I'd totally be willing to go and do something by hand with some MDF and some plans, I've been looking for a small woodworking project.

EDIT: shockdude replied while I was typing, you guys are fast, I'll check out those guides. I'd seen the Venom and one of those Mayflashes in previous searches but had no idea if they were any good.

That'd be cool too, again only problem is (and apologies as I forgot to mention in my first post) that I;'m in the UK.

I'd totally be willing to go and do something by hand with some MDF and some plans, I've been looking for a small woodworking project.

EDIT: shockdude replied while I was typing, you guys are fast, I'll check out those guides.
yea I saw the UK thing, I'm pretty sure tek would ship there, of course with the shipping cost as a caveat

Making your own wood is cool, but I prefer acrylic. Granted I have a custom built arcade cabinet that is mostly wood, but I laid acrylic over the button panel

Cindres

yea I saw the UK thing, I'm pretty sure tek would ship there, of course with the shipping cost as a caveat

Making your own wood is cool, but I prefer acrylic. Granted I have a custom built arcade cabinet that is mostly wood, but I laid acrylic over the button panel

I mean I assume if I can get hold of acrylic, which I doubt will be too hard, I can probably just use the same plans, right?

Luigi87

Switched out my Sazabi artwork I was using in my TE2+. Also changed out my stock Sanwa buttons for Seimitsu buttons. Lastly I added a 2lb spring to my JLF.

jacko_fs.jpg
(Sitting artwork by UN. Credit to where credit's due.)

Jimrpg

This has probably been asked quite a bit, but I haven't found any talk in the last 10 pages.

How is the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa? Its $150 including delivery for me.

I had a Hori Fighting Stick 3 I used about 5 years ago and it was a bit cheap and moved around a lot (might be by play style).

I'll be using it on Steam mostly with the stick on my PC desk.

I'm not looking to upgrade parts. I'm also mainly just a casual and single player fighter fan. Is the HRAP the best value for my money? The Madcatz seem more expensive.

Also what's the difference between the HRAP kai and the HRAP V Hayabusa? If there's no difference I'll just get whatever is cheapest.

Luigi87

This has probably been asked quite a bit, but I haven't found any talk in the last 10 pages.

How is the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa? Its $150 including delivery for me.

I had a Hori Fighting Stick 3 I used about 5 years ago and it was a bit cheap and moved around a lot (might be by play style).

I'll be using it on Steam mostly with the stick on my PC desk.

I'm not looking to upgrade parts. I'm also mainly just a casual and single player fighter fan. Is the HRAP the best value for my money? The Madcatz seem more expensive.

Also what's the difference between the HRAP kai and the HRAP V Hayabusa? If there's no difference I'll just get whatever is cheapest.

HRAPV H. is a fantastic stick. It is leagues better than the FS3, lol (that was essentially an entry level stick).

The Hayabusa comes with a Hayabusa stick and Hayabusa buttons, basically Hori's best, and well regarded buttons.
The Kai comes with a Hayabusa stick and the Kuro buttons that are okay, but a lot of people don't like them as much as Hayabusa buttons (or other brands like Sanwa and Seimitsu for that matter).

Tripon

HRAPV H. is a fantastic stick. It is leagues better than the FS3, lol (that was essentially an entry level stick).

The Hayabusa comes with a Hayabusa stick and Hayabusa buttons, basically Hori's best, and well regarded buttons.
The Kai comes with a Hayabusa stick and the Kuro buttons that are okay, but a lot of people don't like them as much as Hayabusa buttons (or other brands like Sanwa and Seimitsu for that matter).
New Kai's comes with Hayabusa buttons too.

Jimrpg

Ok sweet. Guess the HRAPV H is the one for me then!

So did anything ever come of those different color hayabusa buttons or what? I haven't seen anything regarding a release window/pre-order since arcadeshock posted about them.

Tripon

CpDgZIWVUAAMgN2.jpg

After some helpful reviews from Shadow780 and Notworksafe, I went and ordered the Omni stick from etokki with the Korean stick. I really like it. The only issue is that the stick is timing out on the PS4, which I assume is because the Brooks PCB is not updated yet to the latest firmware, which I need to look into on how to do that.

Skilletor

CpDgZIWVUAAMgN2.jpg

After some helpful reviews from Shadow780 and Notworksafe, I went and ordered the Omni stick from etokki with the Korean stick. I really like it. The only issue is that the stick is timing out on the PS4, which I assume is because the Brooks PCB is not updated yet to the latest firmware, which I need to look into on how to do that.

That is one sexy stick.

Giggity.

Shadow780

CpDgZIWVUAAMgN2.jpg

I'm glad you're liking it so far, how much was your shipping? Brooks are usually pretty good about updating their firmware.

Here's mine, I swapped stock stick with a Crown-303:

Tripon

I'm glad you're liking it so far, how much was your shipping? Brooks are usually pretty good about updating their firmware.

Here's mine, I swapped stock stick with a Crown-303:

It was $51 or so. There was 4 options, and I went with DHL which was the cheapest option. Also the shortest time wait for some reason.

NEO0MJ

Man, I don't think I can make this work at all. Here's what I've done so far.

28191271064_1bfc898500_o.png

Like, there's this genius idea in my head but I have no idea how to apply it.

Luigi87

Man, I don't think I can make this work at all. Here's what I've done so far.

[.img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8681/28191271064_1bfc898500_o.png[/img]

Like, there's this genius idea in my head but I have no idea how to apply it.
I feel like the background is overpowering Eyedol in terms of focus.

NEO0MJ

It's not perfect but I threw it in because I couldn't find anything yet that fits what I need. Like I said I'm not sure I'm going to keep working on this and might just use the one I posted above.

Redx508

CpDgZIWVUAAMgN2.jpg

find out which brook pcb you have and download the latest firmware on the site than flash

NEO0MJ

I just sent the order for the other pic. I feel that I was taking too long and my stick needs the plexi and art. Maybe one day in the future I'll revisit it.

Is the Mad Catz TE2+ stick worth getting over the TES+ if you plan on changing the artwork? I like the shape and size of the TES+ more and I often see it on sale on Amazon for around $160, but I hear modding (artwork, not planning on swapping buttons unless necessary) the TE2+ is much easier and doing so on the TES+ would put me in the same price range as the TE2+?

Is the Mad Catz TE2+ stick worth getting over the TES+ if you plan on changing the artwork? I like the shape and size of the TES+ more and I often see it on sale on Amazon for around $160, but I hear modding (artwork, not planning on swapping buttons unless necessary) the TE2+ is much easier and doing so on the TES+ would put me in the same price range as the TE2+?

If you don't want to deal with your stick crapping out, consider buying Hori.

If you don't want to deal with your stick crapping out, consider buying Hori.

I have a HRAP (not sure which one exactly, I imported it a couple years back when there were no sticks for ps4 out at the time). This would be my second stick for friends and diversity sake. What kinds of problems do people commonly have with the tes that are a pain in the ass to fix?

notworksafe

Biggest issue with new TEs that is a pain is the PCB taking a shit on them. That is fixable only by buying a new one and replacing it yourself or by paying to ship the stick to MadCatz to have them fix it.

Newboi

Dang, I wish i visited this thread before I bit on purchasing the TES+. The stick is absolutely beautiful and works really well so far, but you guys have me scared about its longevity.

I'm loving the TES+ over the HRAPv4. I'm pretty well adjusted to the Kuro stick and buttons on the HRAP, but I just prefer Sanwa parts.

Random question: I know it's normally preference, but what do you guys think about square vs octagonal restrictor plates (Especially for Sanwa JLF)? I'm definitely a square gate fan, but do occasionally get frustrated at the occasional dropped quarter circle missions when playing with the stick on my lap (or other non-stable and/or lower height placement in general). I might be the only one with this occasional issue though.

Biggest issue with new TEs that is a pain is the PCB taking a shit on them. That is fixable only by buying a new one and replacing it yourself or by paying to ship the stick to MadCatz to have them fix it.

Oh yeah, that does sound pretty bad. How much does MadCatz charge for repairs if your warranty is up?

notworksafe

If your warranty is up they will probably tell you to go kick rocks.

---

Picked up a Crown 303N (white) for the John Cena stick. Optical is real nice but I'm gonna move it to another stick and make the Cena into my Tekken stick :D

Random question: I know it's normally preference, but what do you guys think about square vs octagonal restrictor plates (Especially for Sanwa JLF)? I'm definitely a square gate fan, but do occasionally get frustrated at the occasional dropped quarter circle missions when playing with the stick on my lap (or other non-stable and/or lower height placement in general). I might be the only one with this occasional issue though.

I prefer octo myself, but I really, really like the octogate used on Hayabusa stick which is different to one get for JLF.

Edit: See pic for difference

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys!! Are there any tutorials explaining how to install a "fasten type" stick? The Drone has a crappy stick inside that I want to replace with an LS-56 but it is not a 5-pin connection. So I have to get this:

LS-56-FASTENER-TYPE-BOTTOM__34550.1463861948.1280.1280.jpg

But I don't know how those prongs would correspond to directional inputs!

Guys!! Are there any tutorials explaining how to install a "fasten type" stick? The Drone has a crappy stick inside that I want to replace with an LS-56 but it is not a 5-pin connection. So I have to get this:

If there's no PCB on the joystick, then either pin on each microswitch can be the signal, and the other, the ground.

LS-56-FASTENER-TYPE-BOTTOM__34550.1463861948.1280.1280.jpg

based on the top of the image being up on the stick. Top left is down, top right is right, bottom left is left, bottom right is up. Either can be ground and live on each pinout

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
If there's no PCB on the joystick, then either pin on each microswitch can be the signal, and the other, the ground.

based on the top of the image being up on the stick. Top left is down, top right is right, bottom left is left, bottom right is up. Either can be ground and live on each pinout

Could I just wire it the same way the current stick that's already in there is? And thx for the replies.

Could I just wire it the same way the current stick that's already in there is? And thx for the replies.

Is the current stick wired directly to all 8 pins on its microswitches? If so, then yes. Just be sure not to mix up which wires are paired together - that is to say make sure that each switch gets a signal and a ground - if you accidentally put 2 grounds or 2 signals on a switch, it won't work.

Tripon

If your warranty is up they will probably tell you to go kick rocks.

---

Picked up a Crown 303N (white) for the John Cena stick. Optical is real nice but I'm gonna move it to another stick and make the Cena into my Tekken stick :D

What are the main differences between the Myoungshin Fanta sticks and the Crown sticks?

Top Bottom