• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super NES Controller for Nintendo Switch leaked in FCC filing

Chittagong

Gold Member
SNES1.jpg

Saw this pop up in a few of my Apple News feeds, and indeed seems like the real deal.

Amazing news, but

1 - how on earth can they fit that Switch rail between L & R?
2 -does this mean that non-tard Switches will keep the same railings?

Expiry of confidentiality is Feb 2020 so expect a Nintendo Direct before that

jts

...hate me...
SNES1.jpg

Saw this pop up in a few of my Apple News feeds, and indeed seems like the real deal.

Amazing news, but

1 - how on earth can they fit that Switch rail between L & R?
2 -does this mean that non-tard Switches will keep the same railings?

Expiry of confidentiality is Feb 2020 so expect a Nintendo Direct before that
I think it won't have a rail, it's supposed to come with a 1.5m charging cable some document shows.

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah, no rail AFAICT. Man, if this means I can finally play Super Metroid on my Switch, it might just justify that online subscription we’re already paying for.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Bring all my VC titles over from Wii U please. The Wii U has your portable Super Metroid and various classics. You just have to carry around the receiver to it. Why can’t they do anything with VC BC? Even when I visit the eShop with my 3DSXL I have to see all the SNES games I can’t play because they’re suppose to be for the New 3DSXL. It’s a huge tease.

Last edited:

MilesTeg

Banned
I no longer have the component cables, sensor bar, or controllers for my Wii. I was recently looking to get some so I can play my VC titles like ALTTP, SMRPG, SMW, FFVI and Super Metroid.

However if SNES is coming to Switch I guess there’s no point.

Zannegan

It'll be twice as valuable if SNES games are added.
More than that for me.

With a few, notable exceptions, I don't much care for games that came before the 16-bit era. They're usually too restricted and based too much on memorization and pattern recognition for me to get into. For me, the SNES is where gaming came into its own, which is weird because I never owned one.

Anyway, if we do get SNES games with a decent selection, the service will go from almost zero value to worth the subscription for access to the games alone, IMO.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Or you could run an emulator on a cheap pc (hell even a raspberry pi) and use an 8bitdo controller and play any SNES games you like.

Zannegan

Or you could run an emulator on a cheap pc (hell even a raspberry pi) and use an 8bitdo controller and play any SNES games you like.
You could, but that ends up being a lot more difficult, expensive, and time consuming, unless you're just pirating them. Then, yeah, its pretty easy.

It's a pretty apples to oranges comparison though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I think it won't have a rail, it's supposed to come with a 1.5m charging cable some document shows.

Ah ok that makes sense. The diagram shows a hump on the middle that puzzled me but it could be the ZL and ZR buttons.

I guess this means Switch is finally getting a good d-pad!

Birdo

Banned
If I remember correctly, a year or two ago, Nintendo filed a patent for a new N64 controller. Which everyone thought was the N64 Mini. But nothing happened.

So I wouldn't get any hopes up over these things.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nintendo is just gonna piecemeal out these controllers -- one system after another -- with a trickle of game support, aren't they?

Rodolink

so how long until my N64 trident for N64 Online support?... one can dream.(although I doubt it happening on this generation) but imagine playing Goldeneye 64 or Mario Kart online

anyway if this is true I'd get it over the NES one by far

iconmaster

Banned

I'd much rather take the Nintendo-blessed route, for a couple reasons:

I want to reward the original developers for their work, insofar as any of them continue to benefit from these rereleases.

I want to reward Nintendo for giving customers more of what we want.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You could, but that ends up being a lot more difficult, expensive, and time consuming, unless you're just pirating them. Then, yeah, its pretty easy.

It's a pretty apples to oranges comparison though.

Not for everyone but it's not terribly difficult. Getting ROMs will always involve illegal downloads, I'd say that morally it's not too bad if you bought the originals back in the day.

People would much rather go the legal route.

I'd much rather take the Nintendo-blessed route, for a couple reasons:

I want to reward the original developers for their work, insofar as any of them continue to benefit from these rereleases.

I want to reward Nintendo for giving customers more of what we want.

I'd say most people would prefer the legal route, but for many games that isn't an option. With my PC or Pi I can play any game. As for the original developers, I can say with about 99.33938% certainty that not a single one of them is seeing a penny from any of this.

cireza

Banned
The best retro controller (in my opinion) is already available for Switch and it is the 8bitDo M30, in case some of you are looking for a good retro controller.

Not for everyone but it's not terribly difficult. Getting ROMs will always involve illegal downloads, I'd say that morally it's not too bad if you bought the originals back in the day.

I'd say most people would prefer the legal route, but for many games that isn't an option. With my PC or Pi I can play any game. As for the original developers, I can say with about 99.33938% certainty that not a single one of them is seeing a penny from any of this.
They don't, but this argument can't be used for the recent 360, PS3, and Wii U emulators. Emulation can be a platform for good but it could also be a platform for (IMO) freeloading. People can mind their business and play emulators all they like, but for me personally I'd rather reap the benefits of the new value that this service will theoretically bring if this is true.

As for profits, you don't think Nintendo won't be making newfound profitability from putting their own IP's into the Online service?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
They don't, but this argument can't be used for the recent 360, PS3, and Wii U emulators. Emulation can be a platform for good but it could also be a platform for (IMO) freeloading. People can mind their business and play emulators all they like, but for me personally I'd rather reap the benefits of the new value that this service will theoretically bring if this is true.

As for profits, you don't think Nintendo won't be making newfound profitability from putting their own IP's into the Online service?

They undoubtedly will make money, but they'll make you pay for a new version with each new hardware release etc. Modern consumerism in a nutshell.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what you're trying to say here.

I'm saying that when Switch 2.0 comes out you'll have to buy all your games again. As an addendum, they'll also kill off the Switch 1.0 store and you'll lose your purchases. Meanwhile I'll be fine as my emulator won't stop working arbitrarily, nor will I lose access to my games for any reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm saying that when Switch 2.0 comes out you'll have to buy all your games again. As an addendum, they'll also kill off the Switch 1.0 store and you'll lose your purchases. Meanwhile I'll be fine as my emulator won't stop working arbitrarily, nor will I lose access to my games for any reason.
I figured, I was thinking of the 360 and PS3 because I don't think those stores will shut down, I forgot about that fact about the Wii. But why hasn't Nintendo shut down the Wii U's store? They shut down the Wii store and for some reason that means that history will repeat itself? Then why isn't the Wii U's store shut down yet despite being a financial failure?

By this notion, we should be wary of all digital media, even if you keep your games after the services shut down (save for the Nintendo Online service but you don't own these games to begin with). Emulators and other digital medias aren't safe either, by this logic, especially since as I stated emulators are illegal and are arguably an even more gray area, as Nintendo has already taken action into shutting down websites for offering free illegal downloads for ROM's and ISO's.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I figured, I was thinking of the 360 and PS3 because I don't think those stores will shut down, I forgot about that fact about the Wii. But why hasn't Nintendo shut down the Wii U's store? They shut down the Wii store and for some reason that means that history will repeat itself? Then why isn't the Wii U's store shut down yet despite being a financial failure?

By this notion, we should be wary of all digital media, even if you keep your games after the services shut down (save for the Nintendo Online service but you don't own these games to begin with). Emulators and other digital medias aren't safe either, by this logic, especially since as I stated emulators are illegal and are arguably an even more gray area, as Nintendo has already taken action into shutting down websites for offering free illegal downloads for ROM's and ISO's.

Eventually it won't be cost-effective to maintain the servers. Of course they'll shut down. And yes we should be wary of digital media, which is why I personally prefer to get my games from GOG wherever possible as that's the only download I actually OWN. As regards emulators disappearing, it's on my hard drive and backed up to plenty of places, so while Nintendo can stop new downloads, they can't do a damn thing about those of us who already have the downloads, nor can they prevent filesharing sites from providing that alternative option. To be clear, I pay for stuff, I believe in paying for stuff, and I do pay for stuff, but where possible I try to avoid the risks. Note that Steam is a lower risk than Nintendo btw as its life is tied to hardware that's constantly-evolving rather than a static piece of hardware which will cease production.

Eventually it won't be cost-effective to maintain the servers. Of course they'll shut down. And yes we should be wary of digital media, which is why I personally prefer to get my games from GOG wherever possible as that's the only download I actually OWN. As regards emulators disappearing, it's on my hard drive and backed up to plenty of places, so while Nintendo can stop new downloads, they can't do a damn thing about those of us who already have the downloads, nor can they prevent filesharing sites from providing that alternative option. To be clear, I pay for stuff, I believe in paying for stuff, and I do pay for stuff, but where possible I try to avoid the risks. Note that Steam is a lower risk than Nintendo btw as its life is tied to hardware that's constantly-evolving rather than a static piece of hardware which will cease production.
While all this is well and good and I agree with very much so, in terms of ROM's and ISO's you still downloaded files of games you didn't buy that particular copy of the game (of what's downloaded, not physically) on top of emulators themselves (the actual console code that allows them to exist) that are the real part of their illegality, and that's what I was mainly talking about when it comes to emulators not truly being forever because with the right court case anything is possible. Nintendo isn't more screwed than Steam because Steam is exclusively a digital store for software (hardware like the Steam controller is irrelevant), so at least you would still have your already-downloaded games on top of physical games that are here to exist forever, but hypothetically if Steam magically went away tomorrow you're more inclined to believe that your games would be gone than if that happened to you on the Switch's online service.

Anyway, this could get really off topic so I'll drop the emulation thing and agree to disagree.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Guys

Guys

Just had a thought. Nintendo has released previously rare and unreleased games globally on the NES Switch.

Imagine if they one month give us

Terranigma

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
While all this is well and good and I agree with very much so, in terms of ROM's and ISO's you still downloaded files of games you didn't buy that particular copy of the game (of what's downloaded, not physically) on top of emulators themselves (the actual console code that allows them to exist) that are the real part of their illegality, and that's what I was mainly talking about when it comes to emulators not truly being forever because with the right court case anything is possible. Nintendo isn't more screwed than Steam because Steam is exclusively a digital store for software (hardware like the Steam controller is irrelevant), so at least you would still have your already-downloaded games on top of physical games that are here to exist forever, but hypothetically if Steam magically went away tomorrow you're more inclined to believe that your games would be gone than if that happened to you on the Switch's online service.

Anyway, this could get really off topic so I'll drop the emulation thing and agree to disagree.

You're right that in the strictest legal sense I am breaking the law if I download a ROM or ISO, but most of what I play can't be obtained at all as a purchase, so I don't have a problem with it morally. I've bought stuff on gog when it's appeared after I played abandonware versions for instance, so I'm doing what I can to be moral even if not legal. Regarding those emulators, I'm not sure what you think a court case can do in terms of stopping me using those emulators. The genie is very much out of the bottle. If a court forced microsoft to block every emulator from running in windows, no problem I'll just run it in linux and don't forget I can run what I like on linux, compile bits from source if I wish, etc. I'm pretty confident that nobody is going to take away my emulators.

Re already-downloaded games, most game stores require phoning home to the store for those games to function. I'm not sure of the Switch situation but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, given the need to verify ownership and not just let people pass files around willy-nilly. As for Steam - if steam dies I need to have locally-downloaded copies and I need to get cracks for those games. Those won't disappear any time soon, and indeed if Steam died I'd expect a lot more interest in such matters. Don't forget, the PC is an open platform unlike consoles, so users always have many ways to skin a cat. A locked-down console can have games removed remotely (as we've seen with PT), its authentication servers can be turned off, etc.

Indeed agree to disagree but fwiw I always enjoy a good debate, nothing wrong with disagreeing so long as everyone does it with reasonable respect and with proper explanation of their viewpoint.

You're right that in the strictest legal sense I am breaking the law if I download a ROM or ISO, but most of what I play can't be obtained at all as a purchase, so I don't have a problem with it morally. I've bought stuff on gog when it's appeared after I played abandonware versions for instance, so I'm doing what I can to be moral even if not legal. Regarding those emulators, I'm not sure what you think a court case can do in terms of stopping me using those emulators. The genie is very much out of the bottle. If a court forced microsoft to block every emulator from running in windows, no problem I'll just run it in linux and don't forget I can run what I like on linux, compile bits from source if I wish, etc. I'm pretty confident that nobody is going to take away my emulators.

Re already-downloaded games, most game stores require phoning home to the store for those games to function. I'm not sure of the Switch situation but I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, given the need to verify ownership and not just let people pass files around willy-nilly. As for Steam - if steam dies I need to have locally-downloaded copies and I need to get cracks for those games. Those won't disappear any time soon, and indeed if Steam died I'd expect a lot more interest in such matters. Don't forget, the PC is an open platform unlike consoles, so users always have many ways to skin a cat. A locked-down console can have games removed remotely (as we've seen with PT), its authentication servers can be turned off, etc.

Indeed agree to disagree but fwiw I always enjoy a good debate, nothing wrong with disagreeing so long as everyone does it with reasonable respect and with proper explanation of their viewpoint.
Indeed, I don't even disagree with the vast majority of what you said so I wouldn't necessarily call it a "debate". A lot of the points you're making are facts that I'm very well aware of and acknowledge as often as I can, and I may be a hypocrite because the vast majority of my (and pretty much everyone's) game library is digital because they can be pretty cheap. The main moral of my argument is the reasoning as to why somebody would prefer something like SNES games coming over to Switch Online rather than emulation, and it all boils down to the fact that even though even a blind grandma could figure out how emulators work, you're still basically getting many of those features but legitimately and Nintendo can finally profit from those old games again.

I did read every word you said here and agree significantly BTW.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
another overpriced accessory for an online service that offers little to no value.
I agree. But contrary to my expectations, a lot of people have signed into NSO.

So.. it's gonna take a little more pressure from us in order for them to improve the service. Since they can get the money anyway.

Top Bottom