• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Super Nintendo World" is Universal Studios Japan's Nintendo area

dickroach

going all in with Mario 3D World.
is that why the created the game in that style? because it was easy to translate to a real life environment? hm.

Seriously how long will Orlando have to wait?? I'm going to be pissed if it's after 2020.

The three rides supposedly are:

Mario Kart E-Ticket (all 3 parks)
DK Mine Kart Dark Roller Coaster D-Ticket-ish (Orlando and Hollywood)
Yoshi's Island Dark Ride D-Ticket (Osaka)

That makes more sense now after seeing Japan's.

The Argus

Rumor has it going at the kids area, where ET is, at Universal. Another rumor had them building a third park video game park in Florida.

Whoops, my bad should have been more clear. By OG I mean Hollywood, which is an active lot and out of space.

Footnote *1 is worded so oddly. Like "we're pretty sure this is the first Nintendo theme park, but we had to have an internal investigation about it"

The Argus

Probably depends on Disney's timeline for opening Star Wars Land on each coast, and how Universal wants to respond to that.

In LA Universal will probably respond with a Diagon Alley clone. I bet Orlando sees a Nintendo Land in their third park, which I doubt will open till well after Star Wars land dominates.

Since they just announced Japans do you think they're going to announce and show a pic of Americas tomorrow?

No. If history tells us anything, this will be years away. I'd love a surprise, but they're gonna let Tokyo's park get all the attention for awhile.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Now to build a time machine and bring my 8 year old self to this newfound Eden.

In LA Universal will probably respond with a Diagon Alley clone. I bet Orlando sees a Nintendo Land in their third park, which I doubt will open till well after Star Wars land dominates.

It makes more sense to me do Mario/DK/maybe Yoshi in Universal Studios Florida, then open the third gate later with Zelda and Pokemon lands. Plenty of Nintendo IPs to go around.

Since they just announced Japans do you think they're going to announce and show a pic of Americas tomorrow?

No idea.

Is that actually happening? It's surprising that they can even build Nintendo in California. There's like no space.

Interesting about this "third gate". I didn't know Orlando was opening another park. I'm assuming it's near the ET area since it's speculated Nintendo Land could grow into it.

Mario only? My dream for Hyrule Castle / Inkopolis is dead.

Edit: Based on the wording of the press release, there's still hope.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

LA universal doesn't have room for Diagon Alley right now. I don't think Universal has a good plan on how to add that in.

Plus Hogsmeade didn't really set Universal Hollywood on fire like they thought it would. I'm not sure doubling down on more Harry Potter makes sense when Nintendo might continue to broaden the appeal of the park.

The Argus

Is that actually happening? It's surprising that they can even build Nintendo in California. There's like no space.

I asked earlier in the thread about this. Hollywood has no space, they already had to purchase and level outside buildings. Unless they remove a ton of soundstages on their lot they're out of room. They'd kill a ride or two for Harry Potter no doubt.

Plus Hogsmeade didn't really set Universal Hollywood on fire like they thought it would. I'm not sure doubling down on more Harry Potter makes sense when Nintendo might continue to broaden the appeal of the park.

Interesting. I know they were really expecting a huge hit. They even had plans for shutting the whole land down in the afternoon due to crowds.

Interesting about this "third gate". I didn't know Orlando was opening another park. I'm assuming it's near the ET area since it's speculated Nintendo Land could grow into it.

The third gate/resort would be located closer to the Orlando convention center. Universal (Comcast) recently purchased over 400 acres of land there.

The first phase of Nintendo is rumored to replace most of what's around ET, though.

Sure. I don't have doubts that can make Nintendo work. They already announced it. But Daigon Alley just seems really, really unlikely.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't hold out much hope for Diagon Alley in Hollywood. Nintendo should beat it out easily if it's one or the other.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Mario only? My dream for Hyrule Castle / Inkopolis is dead.

Edit: Based on the wording of the press release, there's still hope.

Long-term, if this is super successful, you might see Zelda stuff.

But Mario + Yoshi + DK are the initial focuses. I'd think Zelda and Pokemon would be interesting phase 2 type things.

Atheerios

According to the Japanese press release they (Universal and Nintendo) expect to invest more than 50 billion yen into the area, which is close to 500 million dollars.

But Mario + Yoshi + DK are the initial focuses. I'd think Zelda and Pokemon would be interesting phase 2 type things.

Yeah, there is always the chance for an expansion a la the Wizarding World in Universal Orlando.

Neoxon

It being Mario-only is a shame, but hopefully they expand it going forward. Hopefully the American Universal Studios gets a more comprehensive Nintendo section.

I feel like a pokemon world would be way more popular than a mario world at this point.
The Pokémon Company is really weird about how Nintendo uses the Pokémon IP in other games or other forms of media not dictated by them.

JB2448

Highest resolution image I can find of it (don't forget to use :eek:rig instead of :large for Twitter!):
CzcMSKJUUAAkamM.jpg:orig

Yeah, I also hope they would build a theater to hold special movie shows or events for the second-tier titles like Kirby. Could be very interesting.

The Yoshi's running around outside that the Mario World tower would imply the Yoshi's Island Dark Ride.

This is a damn good observation. You might also notice that the structure is very tall, so as a show building it would fit the rumor of Universal heavily utilizing vertical construction for the land.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This is a damn good observation. You might also notice that the structure is very tall, so as a show building it would fit the rumor of Universal heavily utilizing vertical construction for the land.

yeah, vertically both up and down I think. Vertical also means going underground. Disney has hid many of its show buildings for years by putting them underground and behind... so it looks like a little Haunted mansion but there's a giant building behind it with the ride. Even Forbidden Journey does this well (in Orlando... the show building is pretty obvs in Hollywood).

Also notice that people aren't walking around on most of that building. That implies it's all mostly for show up above. Could be Small World sequel with Yoshi's and stuff moving around even on the outside

Some discussion on the Orlando United forums is pointing toward DK indeed being part of the land, and located behind the arches on the right. It certainly looks very jungly back there.

Some discussion on Orlando United is pointing toward DK indeed being part of the land, and located behind the arches on the right. It certainly looks very jungly back there.
Damn you're right. It does look jungley in the back right area. Wow so Japan will get three rides. Man I want three rides in America too.

yeah, vertically both up and down I think. Vertical also means going underground. Disney has hid many of its show buildings for years by putting them underground and behind... so it looks like a little Haunted mansion but there's a giant building behind it with the ride. Even Forbidden Journey does this well (in Orlando... the show building is pretty obvs in Hollywood).

Also notice that people aren't walking around on most of that building. That implies it's all mostly for show up above. Could be Small World sequel with Yoshi's and stuff moving around even on the outside

I was thinking the mountain itself could maybe be the show building. Heck, the elevator tech from Transformers would let them build vertical dark rides all day. At least that's how I've interpreted the "vertical construction" rumors. Basically more multi-level attractions to save space.

Top Bottom