• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars OG Saga - Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental (DS) - May 27th

duckroll

OMG YES! An online store on Rakuten which has since taken down the listing has revealed it! A REMAKE is upon us! SRW OG SAGA...... LORD OF ELEMENTAL! Long after the retarded copyright wars with Winky Soft, it seems to be OVER!

- 27th May 2010
- Nintendo DS
- 6090yen
- Not done in SD, real robot sprites like the original
- Brand new high quality attack animations
- Arrangement of gameplay systems based on the original game with refinements of more recent SRW games
- Retains all the feel of the original title

BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

super_robot_taisen_gaiden_lord_of_elemental_import_profilelarge.jpg

833044-srwmasoukishin_large.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

B.K.

Now we know the SRPG that's going to be in next week's Famitsu. I wonder if Monolithsoft will be working on it, since they do the OG Saga games now.

duckroll

B.K. said:
Now we know the SRPG that's going to be in next week's Famitsu. I wonder if Monolithsoft will be working on it, since they do the OG Saga games now.

It might just be OG, or it might be OG Saga. I've seen it listed differently by two different blogs, but the retailer which leaked it has since taken down the listing. We'll see. Either way, it's a SRPG, and has nothing to do with Monolithsoft's series.

Edit: Okay it was definitely listed as OG Saga. I guess they're using that branding for the DS now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
A Lord of Elemental remake? :O

Maybe I should bring back my old avatar in its honor.

EDIT: I don't know why I never got around to buying a copy of Lord of Elemental when I lived in Japan...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Cybuster was my favorite mech in SRW OG, so it's natural that I am SUPER HYPED about this.

thetrin

Oh hey, I just realized I was actually _right_ that the SRPG title in Famitsu would be SRW. :lol

thetrin

The listing is pretty thorough in explaining that it's Lord of Elemental, and not some Lord of Elemental themed RPG knock off.

I'm very okay with this.

duckroll

thetrin said:
The listing is pretty thorough in explaining that it's Lord of Elemental, and not some Lord of Elemental themed RPG knock off.

I'm very okay with this.

Yes. I'm VERY excited. After almost 15 years of having to deal with crappy 3D sequels, cameos in OG games, and bad spinoff anime shit, we're FINALLY back to the point where it really started. The ONE game that started the entire idea of "OG" in the first place. If there was no Lord of Elemental, there would be no Cybuster, no SRW OG, no SRW OG remakes, no SRW Boobie RPG spinoffs. It was THE game in the SFC era which put its foot down and said YES WE CAN MAKE AN ORIGINAL SRW GAME WITHOUT LICENSING AND IT CAN FUCKING ROCK.

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

finally Masaki getting some love, so sick of the Kyosuke/Ryusei circlejerk that is OG.

haven't seen the MK gang since @G, this is gonna be good.

Can we finally have a neo-cybaster to go along with the neo- granzon?

I've always found that a bit unfair.

Cybaster has always been the first unit that I upgrade the crap out of, regardless of how outclassed it's gotten in the recent games, going all the way back to EX and 4.

Wonder if we'll actually get voice work in a DS SRW type game? Not going to count the OG Saga games in that respect, since they weren't the traditional strategy games.

I'll take this thread as a sign from the plamo gods that I should go buy that 1/100 Cybaster this weekend instead of more video games.

Mandoric

Banned
IlliterateBookworm said:
I'll take this thread as a sign from the plamo gods that I should go buy that 1/100 Cybaster this weekend instead of more video games.

I've had mine in box for a while. I think this might be the impetus.

Goddamn, I can't describe how hyped I am. This was the second SRW I played after 2, and I've been missing everything from the refreshingly series-gimmickless flow to the deeper tactical options to the characters and music ever since.

This is also an excellent choice for introducing the US to SRW, far better than the first OG games which relied on already knowing and loving the cast and (for OG1) having played 2, 3, and Alpha to get the plot homages.

SO SOO SOO HYPED. i never got a chance to play the lord of elemental game, but Masaki's plot line is one of the more interesting ones in srw and its been awhile since we've seen the Masou kishin, since Alpha Gaiden. its been long long overdue. i hope atlus localises this, if so day one bitches. if not, importing and ye ol denshi jisho will have to do.

duckroll

Gunloc said:
Famitsu scooped. Since it's an OG title, that means we might get it in English. (Hopefully.)

Yeah just like how Atlus released SRW OGs and OG Gaiden in the US.... oh wait. :(

Anyway, someone on 2ch posted last week that DS would be getting Mugen Frontier and Masou Kishin games, while the next official OG sequel would be on the PS3. Since Masou Kishin is now announced.... hmmm.... :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Yeah just like how Atlus released SRW OGs and OG Gaiden in the US.... oh wait. :(

Anyway, someone on 2ch posted last week that DS would be getting Mugen Frontier and Masou Kishin games, while the next official OG sequel would be on the PS3. Since Masou Kishin is now announced.... hmmm.... :)
Perhaps we can convince Atlus it's one of the SRW: Boob Quest games. Maybe they won't look too closely. >_>

duckroll said:
I know it's still a long shot, but we must fill ourselves with as much foolish hope as possible so it'll be extra demoralizing when our dreams are crushed.

Growlanser PSP... ;_;

mutsu

My friend and I was just talking about this game like... 6 hours ago.

Masou Kishin...! How I missed ye.

duckroll said:

Well, since this will be on the DS I think it certainly has a better chance of coming over.

Judging by those sprites from the original game, this is going to be so hot.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I'm not ashamed to say that my first SWW game was Super Robot Taisen. but since I am a sucker for robots and sprites, I'll get this if Atlus brings it over (IF they bring it over)

neo2046

duckroll said:
To clarify, these are gameplay videos of the original SFC game. But I'm sure everyone can figure that out based on the date the videos were posted. :)
oh yes, forget to mention that :D

hteng

Banned
holy shit, wtf DS!?! *$()#%*#*(%@)$@#$_@#%

oh and does this means that the feud with masou kishin licenses have been resolve?

such an old title... almost 10 years...

duckroll

hteng said:
holy shit, wtf DS!?! *$()#%*#*(%@)$@#$_@#%

oh and does this means that the feud with masou kishin licenses have been resolve?

such an old title... almost 10 years...

Yes, it probably means the license dispute has either been resolved or settled in some way. It's not 10 years, it's closer to 15 years...

hteng

Banned
duckroll said:
Yes, it probably means the license dispute has either been resolved or settled in some way. It's not 10 years, it's closer to 15 years...

can't wait to see the other masou kishins in the new OG games.. if they ever decide to make any. So i guess the rumor about them working on an old SRW game was indeed this one.

Shadow780

duckroll said:

:O

Really? When was that mentioned?!

I....

I was hoping for this.

It was something I really wanted, but didn't think it would happen.

Awesome!

duckroll said:

This is a DS game, not a PS2 game. I think it's more likely then not (60% chance) that it'll be localized.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm very, very excited about this but I will hold it back a bit until we see the pv and see what the visuals are like on the DS. That last DS SRW was kind of weak looking.

Do you think they'll add Ex-Hard?

I've been disappointed in the DS SRW games lack of it.

As for localization, it depends how complicated the licenses are.

Bebpo said:
I'm very, very excited about this but I will hold it back a bit until we see the pv and see what the visuals are like on the DS. That last DS SRW was kind of weak looking.

Really?

I thought K looked pretty good.

Anyways, I'm curious to see how Banpresto will animate non SD sprites.

Since Banpresto tends to improve their visuals each game, I can only imagine this game looking great.

mjemirzian said:
Do you think they'll add Ex-Hard?

I've been disappointed in the DS SRW games lack of it.

As for localization, it depends how complicated the licenses are.

The only license holder you have to deal with if you want to localize an OG game is Banpresto.

TreIII

OH MY JESUS!

MASOUKISHIN, AT LAST!!!!!

This was easily my fave game from the SNES era, and still among my fave of the series. Bout time they got around to remaking this game!

So, does this mean:
They'll tweak the story/dialogues here and there to fit the game in the OG series? (not sure there'd be much tweaking needed but there are a few discrepancies between the original SRW series and the OG series IIRC)
The other masou kishin are finally coming back in the next OG installment?

That would be the textbook definition of awesome.

mutsu

duckroll said:

What's was the license dispute about? Does anyone have more details?

TreIII

Palette Swap said:
So, does this mean:
They'll tweak the story/dialogues here and there to fit the game in the OG series? (not sure there'd be much tweaking needed but there are a few discrepancies between the original SRW series and the OG series IIRC)

They more than likely have to. The original game's story was crafted around the original SNES SRW series. So things like how Shuu died in 3, only to come back to life in EX, were all integrated into the original LOTE storyline (which basically was like "two games" in one).

Since a lot of that same stuff hasn't occurred in OG (yet?), they'll have to change at least a couple of details around. For example, ol girl Xenia can't make a super powerful "Masouki" inspired by a Gundam, when Gundams don't exist in the OG-verse. I'd imagine Huckbeines would have to sub in, in that respect.

But then again, for that matter, how could she even make that Masouki when the OG crew hasn't taken a trip to Masaki's stomping grounds yet?

These are the kinds of things that would have to be "fixed" for the sake of the OG-verse (and more, if the likes of "Asakim" are going to be integrated into the OG-world sooner or later). But, I'm sure they'll work it out some how...

thetrin

I need to rectify certain inequities (I need to find a copy of Lord of Elemental for SFC...)

EDIT: Just got a copy of Lord of Elemental off eBay for $34. I am a happy person.

ILikeFeet

Banned
question here, how does Endless Frontier tie in with the series. yes I am aware it's an entirely different universe, but it contains references to other SRW games. such as:

- Haken, Ashen, and Cardia seem to be the prototype models to some characters in the other SRW games

- the robots (Gestpenst, Altaisen, Nacht, and the ArcGain) are based on robots from some game (the reason they are small is because they are based on the blueprints of the original, pilotable mechs)

- the final boss (Einst) is based on a characters from the SRW series which leads to
the fact that Axel and Einst Alfimie (Einst!) and Fighter Roar are in this game.

I also recall hearing that the Endless Frontier was mentioned in one of the games and that Axel and Alfimie's story continue in this game (I don't know, I am just repeating what I read on the internets)

Top Bottom