• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars OG Saga - Masou Kishin The Lord of Elemental (DS) - May 27th

hteng

Banned
regarding difficulty, i think it will be proper if it's around Z level difficulty and not Impact level hardcore, i know there were harder ones like F and F Final but impact was pretty frustrating when i played it because Alt Eisen kinda sucked early on.

TreIII

Bebpo said:
Basically if they are marketing this as a mainstream SRW for the kids, it'll be easy like W/K. But if they're marketing it as a hardcore remake for the fans, it'll be balls hard.

I don't think I could see it any other way.

Kids today, by and large, don't even know the majority of the Masoukishin lore. This one guy at another forum I go to didn't even know the Valsionne stems from the Masoukishin stuff. :lol

For a game that's likely going to have limited sales any way, they might as well go for broke and give some thing closer to what older fans desire.

duckroll said:
If anyone really thinks that this has the same animation quality as this then I really don't know what to say. There's a very clear difference in the quality of the animation in terms of moving parts, details, and how the sprite moves when in motion.
The problem I have with @3's animation is that it's not much actual animation. Most of it is sprite tweening. In comparison K and W both have much more frame by frame animation and much less tweening. Nitpick, yes, but it knocks it down a peg in my eyes. In comparison, OGs and Z have much less of that, or at least hide it better.

Even more pointless nitpick: I don't like the way the beams are done in @3. :p

Anyways, this derail is over. I may be biased in W's favor since it is one of my favorite DS games. :p

Re: Difficulty, K and A Portable are showing that they are trying for a more difficult experience. (K they just messed up a little bit with Strike Freedom and Chain attacks)

hteng

Banned
i kinda hated Alpha3's seed sprites... actually.. i think the same team made the Eureka 7 LFO sprites in Z.... just my 2cents. not to derail.

Does neo granzon makes an appearance in this?

TreIII

hteng said:
i kinda hated Alpha3's seed sprites... actually.. i think the same team made the Eureka 7 LFO sprites in Z.... just my 2cents. not to derail.

Does neo granzon makes an appearance in this?

Yes.

And....
recruitable, if you take the right route!
:D

F/FF were some of the most intense SRW ever, but that level of difficulty is a thing of the past, especially now when 10 level upgrades are available off the bat. Z had a good difficulty balance, hope they go for that.

i would like to see a overhaul in the assist system, less "move units in a blob, assist things to death."

I wonder if Atlus is going to pick this game up if it ever gets made.

And as long as we're speculating, I wouldn't half mind a handheld iteration SRWZ down the line.

Abel

Famitsu scans are out :D

Has some nice art and screens (I think most we've already seen) as well as a long interview.

Bebpo

Banned
Abel said:
Famitsu scans are out :D

Has some nice art and screens (I think most we've already seen) as well as a long interview.

So those pics were real? Ugh.

Hopefully the PV will show off some great animation whenever they release it and it'll look good in motion.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sorry guys, I'm not seeing the hate. Still looks damn promising to me!

duckroll

Errr.... yeah...... I'm not feeling this at all. They're obviously using some sort of 3D modeling and animation to create the sprites and animation, and it looks really cheap. It loses the awesome hand drawn look of the original sprites, and instead reminds me of the awful Shin Masou Kishin Panzer Warfare on the PS1 instead.

I've pretty much lose all interest in this now. Crappy art + no voice = pass. It's not like I play SRW games for gameplay anyway. :/

neo2046

duckroll said:
Errr.... yeah...... I'm not feeling this at all. They're obviously using some sort of 3D modeling and animation to create the sprites and animation, and it looks really cheap. It loses the awesome hand drawn look of the original sprites, and instead reminds me of the awful Shin Masou Kishin Panzer Warfare on the PS1 instead.

I've pretty much lose all interest in this now. Crappy art + no voice = pass. It's not like I play SRW games for gameplay anyway. :/

it seems people at Winky Soft really like to use 3D models ...

In the trailer the graphic in the batttle zone run more smooth this time
Since I never play the original SFC version
so I myself will still get a try when the game come out

Xater said:
So since this is an OG game there is a chance someone might pick this up for localization right?
I remembered OG1 & OG2 also got released in NA
so I think it is possible

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OGs and OG外伝 didn't get picked up though.

duckroll said:

I'm kinda feeling the same way here....

Though, that akashikku buster looked gorgeous...

Xater

neo2046 said:
I remembered OG1 & OG2 also got released in NA
so I think it is possible

Yes Atlus brought them over. They also released that other OG Saga game so I guess chances ae pretty good.

BTW how good is Super Robot Taisen K? I was thinking about picking that up in Japan.

hteng

Banned
hahaha they are using the same techniques as the latest G generation games... disappointed, looks like some cheap flash animation

Andrew J.

I think it looks pretty cool. And honestly, who would expect voice acting in a DS SRW game anyway? Hope this gets picked up for localization.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Andrew J. said:
I think it looks pretty cool. And honestly, who would expect voice acting in a DS SRW game anyway? Hope this gets picked up for localization.

there is voice acting Endless Frontier Exceed.

as for this game, I prefer sprites, but this doesn't look too bad.

Bebpo

Banned
It looks like a cheap saturn game.
Also no voices SUCK. It's understandable with a SRW game with 200 characters and 1000 lines. But in a game like this with a smaller cast, lq battle clips should be doable.

hteng said:
hahaha they are using the same techniques as the latest G generation games... disappointed, looks like some cheap flash animation

yeah, this is why I've never played a G Generation game. I really despise this style of art.

but since unlike duckroll, I actually DO play these games for the gameplay & story I will probably still play this since I never played the original.

Bebpo

Banned
Still looks ugly & has no battle voice. But if I'm not playing anything when it comes out I'll give it a shot because I love SRW.

hteng said:
regarding difficulty, i think it will be proper if it's around Z level difficulty and not Impact level hardcore, i know there were harder ones like F and F Final but impact was pretty frustrating when i played it because Alt Eisen kinda sucked early on.

Getting every skill point in Z Ex-Hard is the most difficult SRW challenge. Trying to get all the Impact skill points can be tough as well. OG2 Ex-Hard would have been difficult but they wimped out and allowed you to spend PPs.

None of the SRWs are exceedingly difficult to clear/reach the ending screen.. especially if you start save/reload abusing.

mutsu

Hm... I don't know, very mixed feelings about this one. May or may not give it a try depending on comments when it's released.

I am just not used to having no voice anymore on SRW games.

Also... that promotional video pretty much just showed me all the major attacks in the game... so no point playing it for the attack scenes anymore!?

Bebpo

Banned
Anyone else playing this? I'm about 5 maps in and it's better than I expected although I find the interface very clumsy.

On the plus side, the map graphics are very good looking with forests, and buildings, and waterfalls. Same with the level of detail on the map sprites for the robots. Makes me wish SRW games had map graphics like this!

The battle animations are ok. The 3d camera movement along with really zoomed out/small sprites make it look ok and hard to tell it's pre-rendered sprites. The animations are fairly plain. They cannot compare to the animation of the masou kishin in @Gaiden.

I like that they've added lots of full screen art pieces for the story parts. Makes it more like a visual novel now instead of just text boxes with a floating head.

Combat is alright so far, it's about medium speed and it's interesting how the direction you attack from matters a lot for accuracy. What sucks is that you can't change the direction you are facing after attacking. So if you do an attack that has to be done pre-movement you can't change directions that turn. You only get a chance to change direction after a movement.

The story itself is slow at the start, but the dialogues are MUCH shorter than a typical SRW so instead of 15 mins of text between maps it's more like 5 mins. I prefer this since some of the SRW games just have waaaay too much text.

Also I don't see any skill points, so it looks like just a single difficulty level.

Nothing mindblowing, but if you haven't played the original (like me) it's neat seeing the origins of Misaki and the masou kishin. Since the attack animations aren't really worth playing for, whether I keep playing or drop this will depend entirely on the quality of the story as it progresses.

I've always been an advocate of developers catering to players of all skill levels. So looks like namco-bandai disappoints me again with no skill points and no difficulty levels.

The vids of all the attacks are already on youtube, so I'll just watch those and save myself a $70 import for a game that will bore me in difficulty. Especially considering I've played so many SRWs before, it's not like the minor tweaks they make to the formula are going to be that different or exciting.. especially since it's not going to matter much anyway.

EDIT: If Atlus ports it I'll buy it. I just don't think it's worth $70 and wrestling with the language.

Shouta

I may play it eventually if only because I never played the original beyond map 1 or 2 and I wanted to see the story.

Bebpo said:
The battle animations are ok. The 3d camera movement along with really zoomed out/small sprites make it look ok and hard to tell it's pre-rendered sprites. The animations are fairly plain. They cannot compare to the animation of the masou kishin in @Gaiden..

From what I've heard, the animations actually get more flashy as you upgrade them.

I'm personally waiting to see if Atlus will localize this before I decide to import.

TreIII

Since I already did buy the original game (alright, got it cheap from a friend a lil while back) and this remake didn't do much to enthuse me as much as I wanted, I guess I can just wait for that PS3 SRW OG3 to eventually materialize.

With OG3 rumored to be a game that will basically introduce the Masoukishin cast into the OG-verse, I guess I can just wait for that to be the day I get to see the likes of Diablo and the other Masoukishin make their big come back. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, can't wait for OG3. I started playing OG Gaiden when it came out, but then I decided to put it on hold until OG3 gets announced so I can get hyped for OG3.

Bebpo

Banned
As more and more Masouki show up each map and are badass looking designs, I NEED THESE GUYS IN OG3. I'm youtubing around and the major ones got alpha gaiden animations, but a lot of the other's didn't?

It's a shame that no cool animation version exists for some of these guys. I just got Solgady and he looks awesome! But apparently he wasn't in @G so there's no HQ version of him :X

If OG3 has like ALL 16 Masouki...holy shit, best original robot game ever. Make it happen Banpresto!

Bebpo

Banned
The more I play this, the more I really like it. I really couldn't care less about the battle animations since after I see them once I turn them off anyhow.

This game reminds me of why I really liked OGs. It has a huge cast and every chapter more and more characters show up in awesome looking original mechs and the worldview continually expands as events occur and the story gets more and more interesting. The characters, the character interaction, the worldview are all what banpresto gets right with their original stories. I love the story and I can't wait to see what happens next each map, which is exactly how I felt about OGs and slightly less about OG Gaiden.

It's even got path branches like a good old SRW.

At this point about 14 maps, I think by far it's the best SRW on DS. It's basically the equivalent of having an OGs game on the DS just without the zomg awesome battle animations.

Plus it's got Shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Bebpo

Banned
Gameplay is very different from the SRW you are used to.

For the first 10-20 hours, you get 1-2 units max to use for each map. So it can easily be 1 unit vs. 8 enemy units or 2 friendly units vs. 1 boss + fodder. Not to knock the game, because I'm still enjoying it, but I have to admit the gameplay feels dated compared to modern SRW. No unique team systems or anything either. Just your 1 or 2 guys, their seishin skills and their 3 or 4 attacks.

This is kind of made worse by the overall slowness of the game. All the commands and menus lag and are slow. The computer has to take a second to think before each move. And the more robots you have on the map, the more lag and slowdown there is. I finally did a map with a full 6 unit party and the game was struggggling to stay alive. I kind of feel the endgame maps will probably run at like 3fps.

It's still a fun game and the story stuff is good, but compared to modern SRW (or the other DS ones) the gameplay is simple and slooooow. A map might be a throwaway map of Cybuster + 10 grunts, but it'll take 20-30 mins to do it.

Also because unlike normal SRW, the story revolves entirely around Cybuster and on a lot of maps it's JUST Cybuster, I'm finding that Cybuster is like lvl.20+ and everyone else is lvl.15 or less and totally useless :X So it's a 1 man fight every map. Almost feels like I'm playing a Disgaea game or something!

I'm a few maps away from finishing "part 1". Curious to see how it ends and how part 2 begins.

Bebpo

Banned
Also it makes me a little sad that the gameplay is largely unchanged from the original. Because I've been holding out hope that one of these days we'll get Alpha 1 remake on a handheld with fast and great gameplay up to modern SRW standards.

I've tried many a time to play @1 and I've never gotten particularly far because it's just too slow for me (though Masoukishin DS is about as slow but at least I can play it on my bed). Now I'm guessing if we do get it, it'll be relatively unchanged from the PS1 version.

kiun

I'm sold. Just bought a copy from Ebay. Shame about not having 2d sprites but I always enjoyed the OG series.

Bebpo

Banned
I just finished chapter 1

wow, that was awesome. I see why people like this story so much. As much as I love the SRW games for the robots, I think my favorite part of them are the Banpresto original storylines. Sure they follow general robot anime archetypes, but they make really likable characters and do a great job at giving that giant robot epic story feeling where when the character makes a comeback you go YEAH!!! and shout his line with him, etc...very satisfying stuff.

I REALLY want to see some of this stuff show up in OG3 although I'm not sure how they would do it since this is a prequel to OG1/2. Masoukishin spoiler talk:
Like, Ricardo just died so I don't see how him or his mech can get nice high-res sprites treatment :( Too bad because he was my 2nd favorite character so far behind Masaki

Did anyone here play Alpha Gaiden? I don't know much about the storyline besides that it has a lot of the Masoukishin & Masoukikai. Does that mean that the storyline of Masoukishin and it's events play out throughout Alpha Gaiden? Or do they just show up and fight and not really have any plot relevance. Also where does @1/2/3 Masaki/Shuu storyline fit in? I've only played @2 and I don't remember well enough what Masaki/Shuu were doing in the game.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh and since no one every clarified it (probably because I'm talking to myself in this thread), the way attack animations change is this:

You upgrade your attacks like usual in a SRW game
500cash first bar, 1000 second, 25,000 by the final 5th one.

But when you upgrade to the final bar the attack either changes to a new one or ranks up the current attack and drops back to 0 bars. If it's a rank up, the attack improves. For instance Cybuster's Akashic Buster attack goes from range 1 to range 1~3 and ups the damage. Plus the animation gets beefed up with more parts to the attack. OTOH for attacks that level up like Cybuster's basic sword slice, they get turned into an entirely new attack which means the stats DECREASE but the new attack is better and has higher damage potential when fully upgraded.

Also since the ranked up attack or new attack drop the upgrade bar back to 0, the costs drop down again too. So Akashic Buster costs 25,000 to go to level 5, and then 200 cash for level 6. So you can REALLY upgrade the damage potential fast on a rank up attack. Or with attacks that become new attacks you can get them back to the strength of the previous attack quickly since it's cheap for the first bunch of upgrade bars.

BUT since it's a SRW game and most players know you don't get all that much money, you're not going to be maxing many attacks in the game to open up the next rank or a new attack. By the end of part 1 I had upgraded two on Cybuster. But then since unlike a normal SRW game where you have 40 units to upgrade, in this game you have like...10 (or 4 actually good ones), it's likely you'll focus on just a couple units and actually hit the next attack on their upgrades.

Just noticed the trailer, looks like it could be fun. From playing Alpha Gaiden I must say the Elemental Lords were the most interesting bunch to play, so hoping for a western release. Like the sound that the conversation being cut down and not lasting for too long.

Top Bottom