• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars V |OT| V is for Voyage! There's an ENG version!

Not gonna lie, I've never played with a ship this much in a SRW, and I've been playing the series since SRW EX.

Also the ship's ExAct (don't remember how it's called) is really broken, straight up give another unit an extra action. I just played 5 stages so far and it's been really easy. Hopefully the difficulty ramps up later.

You didn't use the Nadesico in J when it was crazy stupid OP?
I did, I actually tend to use ships if only because they're usually tanks with a load of useful seishin if you level them up properly.

But right now, the Yamato is pretty awesome. Countering everything, stocking up on Ex points on your defensive turn and then unleashing a flurry of multiple actions on your offensive turn feels really good. It feels so good I almost feel bad for breaking the (early) game.

One thing I haven't mentioned but that is a pretty big deal for me is the ability to use seishin during your defensive turn. We knew about it, but I can see it really changing the way you use these abilities.

squall23

One thing I haven't mentioned but that is a pretty big deal for me is the ability to use seishin during your defensive turn. We knew about it, but I can see it really changing the way you use these abilities.
I'm on the fix about it. It worked in NEO because seishins had to be leveled up. You had powered down versions of seishins until near the end of the game.

lupinko

I wasn't going to keep my preorder because money is sorta tight by choice but I ended up buying the Premium Edition at Sofmap.

It's an early birthday present and it's not that bad since I'm going to sell my WiiU games.

Don't attack me WiiUGAF, I bought the games prior to getting the console but I never ended up buying a WiiU (lack of price drop for starters) and Nintendo is moving on with switch.

massoluk

Banned
Weird, didn't expect Yamato to get in still, but hey, so was Tekkaman Blade. May be we should lobby for Doraemon for next Super Robot War.

lupinko

Weird, didn't expect Yamato to get in still, but hey, so was Tekkaman Blade. May be we should lobby for Doraemon for next Super Robot War.

Crayon Shinchan and Godzilla have already been in SRW.

Okay it was the mobile game but it still counts.

I wasn't going to keep my preorder because money is sorta tight by choice but I ended up buying the Premium Edition at Sofmap.

It's an early birthday present and it's not that bad since I'm going to sell my WiiU games.

Don't attack me WiiUGAF, I bought the games prior to getting the console but I never ended up buying a WiiU (lack of price drop for starters) and Nintendo is moving on with switch.
This made me realize WiiU is the first Nintendo home console ever to not get a SRW.

Crayon Shinchan and Godzilla have already been in SRW.

Okay it was the mobile game but it still counts.
I saw yesterday that mobile game even has (or is getting) Sakura Taisen.

MongKey

qPmoBrR.jpg

Got my copy today by mail. Surprised that it actually came on release date since they usually arrive a day later. Can't wait to get off work and play it tonight.

Question: Is Vangrey a Real or Super robot? Does it have high armor or mobility? From the trailers, it looks like a Real but has the bulk of a Super. It would be nice if it's a Super type.

lupinko

This made me realize WiiU is the first Nintendo home console ever to not get a SRW.

I saw yesterday that mobile game even has (or is getting) Sakura Taisen.

I just noticed that now! You know your console did poorly without a SRW release.

Even the 360 got a SRW (updated GC port but whatever lol).

I took the premium version out for a spin, I panicked originally because I thought lack of custom music. But that's not the case.

Anyway I don't regret buying the premium version but the songs used are from the original TV series airing / theatrical / ova version.

In Z3 I shoved in the original full vocal tracks. Lol

SRW is so much better with the actual music, and Time to Come is from SRW4 super famicom. Which is a nice touch, even though I did like the vocal versions.

I need to put in the Evangelion gainax era music in sometime and maybe the original 70s Yamato theme.

Oh right, F91 music for Crossbone, "The Time I'm Seeing You" is really great. Iirc Impact used it for F91.

And of course Z Toki wo Koete, and why not the Neil Sedaka originals too.

For Banpresto originals I just gave them Susumu Hirasawa music from Paprika and Berserk. Lol

Staab

oh my god, whhhyyy, why isn't this on PS3 :(
I had lost all hope of ever playing a recent official SRW licensed game in english.

Gonna have to buy a PS4 :|

squall23

Question: Is Vangrey a Real or Super robot? Does it have high armor or mobility? From the trailers, it looks like a Real but has the bulk of a Super. It would be nice if it's a Super type.
Vangrey only looks like a super because it's designed by the guy who made Linebarrel. It's a real through and through. In fact, it's the first real since Z1 that upgrades into another real. Revlius turned into Solvrius Rex, Librasta gave you a choice and Riot B eventually turned into Odyssea. Exbein to Exexbein is essentially just a weapons pack.

MongKey

Vangrey only looks like a super because it's designed by the guy who made Linebarrel. It's a real through and through. In fact, it's the first real since Z1 that upgrades into another real. Revlius turned into Solvrius Rex, Librasta gave you a choice and Riot B eventually turned into Odyssea. Exbein to Exexbein is essentially just a weapons pack.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip. The last mainline I played was Z2 and went with Librasta B to keep him Real.

Though after playing OG Moon Dwellers, I'm loving the OG Supers and would like to see more. Can't wait to get Grungust in my team.

Aww, apparently I am getting V tomorrow and not today! Oh well, I mean I originally thought I would have to wait until Monday so tomorrow is not a big deal at all. I am excited since it looks like a good console SRW.

because it has a bit of a Itano Circus effect on it, lol It basically looks like the missiles from the recent Macross units, lol
Yeah it's pretty much the same https://youtu.be/HzXR8tnnKSM?t=29s

It's more than just Yamato being really good, Okita is an amazing captain. Starting the game with max level leadership ability along with this unique skill, it's a gigantic buff to your entire team this early on in the game.

The man is Bright Noa of Alpha 1. Ship captain that does everything. Also in one of the early stages where you need to have a single unit kill 4 enemies for the SR point, obviously stacked in Yamato's favor so you get that line of "We this man leading us...".

Anywho it's pretty fun so far.

otakukidd

Broke down and bought this today. Should arrive between the 3rd to the 21 ha. Not going to be able to play it till after persona though. Got it today cause income tax came in and wanted to buy something but knew I wasnt going play it till way later. Knew almost all other games will probably drop in price by the time I would play it but there was no way in hell srwV probably would so why not. Will be my first SRW. Watched majority of the shows in this one. Really enjoyed excited I will finally be able to play the series.

Apharmd

Man. I totally did not look at the cast list/roster. All these surprises popping up are so friggin COOL.

Stage 5 Spoiler:
OMGOMGBLACKGETTERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

muteki

So strange playing in english for first time. I could nitpick about little graphical issues but otherwise looks nice.

Edit: so there is a PS4 theme included in first copies? How does it look? Wasn't planning on making another PSN account but might for theme and other bonuses...

Blue-kun

I'm getting the game next month, probably, but to those of you who are playing: are there any combination attacks between Ange units? Like Villkiss and Enryugo, for instance?

Been hoping for something like that since they revealed Ange would be in it, because then I'd be able to use both S.Freedom/IJ and Villkiss/Enryugo and blow stuff up with my ~mecha OTPs~.

Shouta

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

First enemy unit kill in the turn gets 2 ExC pts
Any succeeding kills nets 1 ExC pt

Is this a correct assumption?

I think that might be right but I'd need to check.

Any idea what bonus stages are worth purchasing? The DLC stages are all in romanized Japanese.

I don't know if there are any descriptions aside from the one in game. Most of them will provide TAC, Money, and a part so they're all worth it. It'll just be a matter of whether or not you want to see a specific story or set of characters.

Fuuuuuuck I want this so bad but I don't want to spend money on anything until Zelda and the Switch comes out. I was hoping MAAYYBE Singapore prices compared to CAD wouldn't be that bad but noooooo.

Uuuuggggh between this, Tales of Berseria, and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 I'm missing out on a LOT so far just to get Breath of the Wild along with the Switch.

Fuuuuuuck I want this so bad but I don't want to spend money on anything until Zelda and the Switch comes out. I was hoping MAAYYBE Singapore prices compared to CAD wouldn't be that bad but noooooo.

Uuuuggggh between this, Tales of Berseria, and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 I'm missing out on a LOT so far just to get Breath of the Wild along with the Switch.
I'm officially suspending your mecha fan credentials on account of this, pending reinstatement if you can make up for this in the future.

Shouta

So, I just got to the stage where Cross Ange gets introduced and uh,

They still do that to her and they even play a clip of her screaming. Oh boy. I guess they gotta stick close to the source material

mindatlarge

Looks like it's time to put in an import order. Was waiting for this game to come out to save on shipping on a couple other titles I wanna pick up too.

Wait, there's a 2202 remake of the Yamato 2 movie coming out in 2 days in Japan? Whoa.

Sorry for the slight detail but I love that movie.

I assume they'll be remaking the second series rather than the movie, though.

The Yamato is insane. It has some kind of EN Regen with an impenetrable shield and never misses. Not to mention the damage.

I think the main pilot is at Level 10 just to discourage you from making it hound all the EXP. Cause this thing can probably solo the game if the early chapters are any indication.

PSqueak

Banned
So, I just got to the stage where Cross Ange gets introduced and uh,

They still do that to her and they even play a clip of her screaming. Oh boy. I guess they gotta stick close to the source material

I wouldn't have wanted it in, but did anybody expect otherwise? SRW usually is very faithful to the series in the game.

The Yamato is insane. It has some kind of EN Regen with an impenetrable shield and never misses. Not to mention the damage.

I think the main pilot is at Level 10 just to discourage you from making it hound all the EXP. Cause this thing can probably solo the game if the early chapters are any indication.

Is the ship the only playable unit you get for Yamato? I'm only asking because maybe that's why it's so over powered? That's just a guess I'm making but I'm probably wrong anyway. I also never watched Yamato so I have no idea about it.

Thanks all for the feedback last page! I'm going to jump in. Found out there was a SRW with Godzilla in it so disappointed the big g isn't in this one. Now I I want a crossover of Ultraman, Godzilla and Gamera properties...

Thanks all for the feedback last page! I'm going to jump in. Found out there was a SRW with Godzilla in it so disappointed the big g isn't in this one. Now I I want a crossover of Ultraman, Godzilla and Gamera properties...

Theres an Ultraman/Kamen Rider/Gundam crossover on the PS3.

Shouta

Is the ship the only playable unit you get for Yamato? I'm only asking because maybe that's why it's so over powered? That's just a guess I'm making but I'm probably wrong anyway. I also never watched Yamato so I have no idea about it.

Dunno yet but considering it's a mothership and a key unit in this, it's not a surprise it's so strong, lol.

I just got to the part ZZ shows up.

The Double Beam Rifle is such a cool pose for a simple beam rifle shot, lol

s8W3SF5.png

Waiting with bated breath for some English screens.

It's out in English already; there's tons of youtube videos already posted. As far as I can tell after playing through like 7 chapters the translation is pretty good, everything makes perfect sense but it feels a little literal. There's also no "leftover" Japanese as far as I can tell, the whole UI was translated, and there's no really weird name/attack or mecha translations either.

cj_iwakura

It's out in English already; there's tons of youtube videos already posted. As far as I can tell after playing through like 7 chapters the translation is pretty good, everything makes perfect sense but it feels a little literal. There's also no "leftover" Japanese as far as I can tell, the whole UI was translated, and there's no really weird name/attack or mecha translations either.

That's good, at least. Should have let the Project X Zone editors give the script a pass, heh. They have complete and utter disregard for the original Japanese, but who cares when it's that fun.

Top Bottom