• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U: More evidences to support DLC Store and Connectivity

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Remember this picture.

hyuGj2v.png
q9NYd0L.png

Yeah, it's the motivation that kept people going on to find more information in the data. People kept searching for more hints so they found some information so PushDustin found something in Smash 3DS data. I'm going to copy and paste the content that was posted in other forum.

All information should be credit to PushDustin.

『だいらんとう大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ for Nintendo 3DS』 のついか追加データをSDカードにつく作ります
SDカードがさ差さっていません でんげん電源をき切って SDカードをさ差してください
SDカードをにんしき認識できませんでした でんげん電源をき切って SDカードをさ差しなおしてください
ついか追加データがこわれているため SDカードに 『だいらんとう大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ for Nintendo 3DS』 のついか追加データをつく作りなお直します
SDカードをにんしき認識できませんでした

= Messages to create data for DLC

(きょうゆう)共有 is the name of the handshake icon in Japanese, which means to have jointly/ to share.

ショップ(きのう)機能 is the DLC store.

Proof that the game has code to load character and stage DLC:

ui/replace/customize/spi_10
ui/script/lib
ui/replace/field
ui/replace
ui/replace/image
ui/replace/stage
ui/replace/profile
ui/replace/figure
ui/replace/customize
test/lumen/resource_font/FOLKH_Light/FOLKH_Light.brf
ui/replace/image/com_bg_d_img
effect/ui
ui/replace/mark
ui/script/util
ui/replace/item
ui/font/lumen
ui/script/app
ui/replace/popup
ui/replace/clear
ui/replace/chr
test
ui/replace/category

The shop will appear on the main menu. There is an extra Nintendo Network logo that I believe is unused.

SMASHOnlineSmash RunGames & MoreChallengeWii UStreetPassTest your skills in classic Smash! Challenge the CPU or nearby players.Connect to the Internet, and test your skills against your friends and the world!Collect boosts in a vast labyrinth to prepare for an epic final battle!Solo and group games, plus Training, custom fighters, the Vault, and more!Take on challenges and win prizes!Connect to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.A StreetSmash of epic proportions! Defeat your rivals and win prizes!ChallengesNotificationsShop

In Japanese it will be called the "Notification Shop"

だいらんとう大乱闘インターネットフィールドスマッシュいろんなあそびクリアゲッターWii Uすれちがいきほん基本となる だいらんとう大乱闘! ひとりでも ちか近くにいるひと人とでもネットをつう通じた だいらんとう大乱闘! フレンドとも せかいじゅう世界中のひと人たちとでもきょだい巨大なせんじょう戦場をか駆けめぐり さいしゅうせん最終戦にいど挑む パワーアップがた型 アクションゲーム!ひとりで みんなで キャラづく作り きょうぎじょう競技場やコレクションもこちらじっせき実績におう応じて ごほうびをゲット!『だいらんとう大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ for Wii U』とのれんどう連動はこちらすれちがいつうしん通信で ライバルをはじきだせ! お落としたかず数で ごほうびゲットクリアゲッターしらせショップに行く

Also I think PushDustin found those following in Wii U Connectivity section. Take a good look at the bolded words.

Connect to a Wii U
 Look for Wii U
Searching for nearby Wii U consoles...
Found [VAR] Wii U consoles!
 Search again
Connecting to [VAR]'s Wii U console...
Connected to [VAR]'s Wii U console.
is available!
is connected.
Please wait for the Wii U console.
Tap to select an option.
Disconnect
Allow copying of customized characters?
No
Yes
Go to the Nintendo 3DS connection screen in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
Wii U
You can exchange custom fighters or use your Nintendo 3DS as a Wii U controller.
Copying of customized characters disabled.
Copying of customized characters enabled.
Found a Wii U console!
A Challenger Approaches!

Japanese

/!Wii Uにつなげる Wii Uをさが探すちか近くにあるWii Uをさが探していますWii Uが

だい台みつかりました!
 もういちどさが探す
“[VAR]”のWii Uにつないでいます…
“[VAR]”のWii Uにつながりました
のWii Uにつなげる
のWii Uにせつぞくちゅう接続中
Wii Uがだいらんとう大乱闘にはい入るまでおま待ちください
タッチしてせんたく選択してください
せつぞく接続をき切る
カスタマイズキャラのコピーをきょか許可
しない
する
『だいらんとう大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ for Wii U』で 「3DSとつなぐ」のがめん画面にすす進んでください
Wii U
3DSほんたい本体をWii Uにせつぞく接続して カスタマイズキャラを やりとりしたり コントローラーとしてつか使うことができます
カスタマイズキャラのコピーをきょか許可しない
カスタマイズキャラのコピーをきょか許可する
Wii Uが1だい台みつかりました!
挑戦者があらわれました

PushDustin's conclusion

The game uses pictures (EFF and BCO for Japanese and English) to animate "A Challenger Appears" on the top screen, so since there is a text version in the dump, either characters are unlocked through connecting to the Wii U, or it will display the text when a character is purchased through the store. Even though I hate to admit it, it's most likely connected to the Wii U menu as there is no other text for the store (it'll probably connect to the E-Shop, or download the page from the Internet). However, there are no additional characters files in the game which severely hurts the chances of this being the case (as the 3DS would have to download quite a bit of data from the Wii U in order to utilize the character).

The 3DS can be used as a controller in 8 player Smash for the Wii U, based on the pictures with the file names: 29CE and 279A (Essentially: the 1-8 Player Icons, and numbers with pictures of 8 fighters). Files with CFC13 are the menu pictures (posted above).

I'm going to add my feedback on it. That would make sense why Smash 3DS' Download Package said that it required 2.1GB awhile the game that we downloaded were 1.1GB or so. I'm not saying that it would happens but who know.

Hatchtag

Banned
Watch "A Challenger Approaches!" end up being the text for successfully connecting a 3DS as a controller.
just kidding its totally for unlocking ridley

HUELEN10

I can see DLC, stage DLC and the like, but characters?

That would be like over 60 Amiibos total, right?

Neiteio

Thanks for making this thread, Heath. I'm interested to see what people make of it, now that we can focus the conversation on this discovery.

HUELEN10 said:

That would be like over 60 Amibos total, right?
You're right, Nintendo wouldn't want to make too much money ;-P

DrStiles

I think the challenger approaches info is for unlocking the hidden characters right away if you've gotten them in one version. But just my guess.

You're right, Nintendo wouldn't want to make too much money ;-P

I feel like Amiibo is poised to fall flat on its face. The implementation is pretty crap, andi f they do go with 50+, they're going to need to be very careful to avoid people just ignoring all fo them that aren't mario/pikachu.

Hatchtag

Banned
I want someone to correct me here, but would the characters really be all that big? Game's 1.1 GB, there's 48 characters plus Miis. I'm just rounding here so I'll go with 48. 1,1 GB/48~=23 MB. Multiple that by 4 and you have ~92 MB. That doesn't seem like all that much data.

Foffy

Banned

That would be like over 60 Amiibos total, right?

If it is characters, how do you have a hard time seeing that? Mario Kart is getting more playable characters, Hyrule Warriors has gotten more playable characters, and they can very easily have more characters for Smash.

Typically fighting games get updates/mini-sequels that add more to the roster. With the advent of DLC, it is more common than ever to see downloadable expansions to such games, and it almost seems like a no brainer that Smash can have such a thing, too. And for a franchise like Smash, you have Nintendo's entire catalog to work with: they can promote new games like Splatoon or represent older franchises by beefing up the roster every now and again. It seems like an absolutely perfect concept to apply here, more than in any of Nintendo's other games.

Too many rumors coupled with this sort of evidence really do give the impression that connecting the games probably does more than just unlock the basic hidden characters for the Wii U version. I'm more willing to bet DLC being a thing than that, too.

I feel like Amiibo is poised to fall flat on its face. The implementation is pretty crap, andi f they do go with 50+, they're going to need to be very careful to avoid people just ignoring all fo them that aren't mario/pikachu.

Yeah, I agree. They basically would have needed to relegate customization to a 100% amiibo-based system for the figurines to be meaningful. (i.e. instead of just training a CPU buddy, you can actually use your amiibo character as your player character) And it would have needed to be a strong enough feature to stand on its own.

J@hranimo

Banned
As I said in the Direct thread, I really see this as more so being able to unlock everyone on the Wii U version from the 3DS version. Guaranteed 3DS/Wii U connectivity for characters is up in the air though.

Honestly, if there is DLC it probably won't get announced on Thursday. That's something to announce a few months down the road when the game's grown some..."legs" with sales.

Neiteio

The Direct on Thursday is going to end with a new challenger video. I can feel it.
I'm hoping we'll get trailers for both Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr/Koopalings. They can open the Direct with one, and end it with the other.

Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings would be perfect for showcasing 8-player mode.

3bdelilah

Banned
I'd be all for characters and stages as DLC packs :) You tend to get more than your money's worth with Nintendo. 12 bucks for MK8 16 stages, 7-8 characters and tons of accessory is a steal.

Goon Boon

Banned
I'd be all for characters and stages as DLC packs :) You tend to get more than your money's worth with Nintendo.

Stages should be free DLC, and character's paid. Nearly everyone will buy the characters regardless, but this way there's no split queues online based on who has what DLC for the few who can't afford/don't want .

I really hope that the Shop ends up being a thing, Smash is the one series that I'd want DLC for more than any other.

Could "A Challenger Approaches" be for a customized character being transferred from Wii U to 3DS?
Of course, I'd like to believe otherwise.

Gustaf89

Banned

well, thank god that the "pretty carppy implementation" only works on Smash Bros, and that amiibos will workd differently on the other games that support it

Xav

I think Nintendo should use Smash Bros DLC to help keep the game active and create awareness of upcoming games.

The week before Yoshi's Wooly World launches, release a Wooly World themed stage and skin for Yoshi.

Dr. Buni

I only hope there is a way to get the characters without connectivity, even though I have a Wii U and a 3DS... It is not the same for everyone out there.

Edit: I also hope DLC characters are new characters instead of cut veterans.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I hate to break people's hearts here. There is no way that Waluigi will ever become playable character for Smash 4.

He's just a terrible choice of playable character that people kept gushing for.

I'm pretty certain we'll see DLC, but a lot of this seems to be coincidental or interpreted too deeply. "Notifications Shop" doesn't make much sense for the name of the DLC store in Japan or here, and that entire block just looks like text pulled from icons already in the game juxtaposed together-- "shop" is right there under trophies, for instance.

Also, like others have said, it makes sense to have the "Challenger Approaching" screen appear after connecting the two systems as to notify the user that all their unlocked characters are also available on their new version of the game. I mean, it'd be neat if it was actually a new character, but it seems likely there'd be more to it than one line of ambiguous wording in the code.

Are we sure that the first message doesn't correlate to downloadable data, or patches, or anything like that, instead of specifically DLC? I don't know. Most of this stuff looks nice from an optimistic perspective, but it it's not concrete enough to convince me 100%-- I believe it's coming eventually, I just don't think this specifically confirms it.

Trike

I hate to break people's hearts here. There is no way that Waluigi will ever become playable character.

He's just a terrible choice of playable character that people kept gushing for.

Well he was one of the most requested characters for SSB4, so it is possible for a future installment. But I still agree with you, and with him being an assist trophy probably cements this for SSB4.

Ryce

"Notifications Shop" doesn't make much sense for the name of the DLC store
It just says "Shop" -- I don't know why Heath lumped them together like that. The game doesn't contain any references to a "Notifications Shop." That doesn't even make sense.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It just says "Shop" -- I don't know why Heath lumped them together like that. The game doesn't contain any references to a "Notifications Shop." That doesn't even make sense.

I didn't. I mentioned that I copied and pasted what PushDustin posted in other forum.

Yaranaika

Is there any way it would only let one 3DS unlock the new character for each Wii U?
Maybe as DLC, possibly tied to your NNID.

That could sell a lot of consoles. Otherwise people will just get it off a friends Wii U.

Ryce

I still think the most damning piece of evidence in favor of DLC comes from the Kaphotics text dump:
ショップ機能を利用するにはニンテンドーeショップから ソフトの更新が必要です

“To use the Shop function it is necessary to update the software via Nintendo eShop.”

That’s really straightforward.

Top Bottom