• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl - an error has occurred please eject disc...?

Please help.

So my son bought SSBB yesterday used from GameStop, (he prefers to visually shop for his games & GS is the best choice for doing so) and he was able to play it for a little while last night however when he tried this morning, the game loads almost to the title screen and then the screen turns white and an error message appears that reads...

"An error has occurred. Press the Eject Button, remove the Game Disc, and turn the power off. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information."

(edit: he told me he ran into same error last night, but after resetting the console it worked fine for a short while)

I followed the instructions and even cleaned the disc, and still encountered the same error message. We tried other games, and they work just fine - he is playing Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 as I write this.

So I did a bit of research on my own, and after reading some other forums & blogs it appears to be directly related to the SSBB game using a dual layer type of DVD, and was said to mostly only affect older Wii consoles?

http://www.destructoid.com/super-smash-bros-brawl-errors-more-than-meets-the-eye-74637.phtml

My sons Wii is fairly new, (purchased Christmas 2012) it is actually the console that removed backwards compatibility with NGC games. So as far as I know, it is either the newest model, or second newest model. The game disc is not in mint condition, but does have a few tiny scratches.

Could the system firmware be out of date? Can you even update Wii firmware? Also, when doing the research earlier I found that a large percentage of the people affected where using modded Wii's.

Has anyone here on GAF run into this problem? Or can someone direct me to a thread where this problem was discussed? (and hopefully resolved). I tried searching GAF but found no related thread.

From what I have read so far it appears that the solution is to send the Wii console into Nintendo (They even pay shipping costs), who then does some magic lens cleaning that makes your Wii be able to read these dual layer discs, or some people have also stated that they received brand new consoles back, free of charge.

Berordn

It's the disc. The Wii's optical laser is really finicky when it comes to dual layer discs like Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Small scratches or a dirty drive cause issues way faster than with standard DVDs.

Something is wrong with the disc, return it for a different one if possible.

Yeah, that is what I plan to do a little later, but I read a few other people who experienced the same issue said trying diff discs did not resolve the issue - but I'll still try doing that, as that is a much easier process than sending the console to Nintendo (honestly, not even sure if they are still offering this fix).

Could it be a corrupt save game? If you've only played it for a small amount of time, try deleting it in the Wii system menu and then re trying. Failing that, it's probably the disk.

EDIT - Sounds like it's the disk then.

It's the disc. The Wii's optical laser is really finicky when it comes to dual layer discs like Brawl and Metroid Prime Trilogy. Small scratches or a dirty drive cause issues way faster than with standard DVDs.

So a diff disc may actually remedy this problem?

Metal B

Do you smoke at home? I hope not with a kid around you, but the smoke can get on the DVD-lens of the Wii and then has a hard time reading the Brawl Disk.

Makonero

I had this same problem when Brawl came out. I called Nintendo, and they said it was a problem with older Wiis. I had to send it in. It took about two weeks before I got it back, but I've had no problems since then. It does cost quite a bit though. :(

Good luck!

Berordn

So a diff disc may actually remedy this problem?

It's very likely. If the Wii is kept in a dusty place or around smokers then there's a good chance the lens itself is dirty and you can get a cleaning kit for it.

Nintendo's online store used to sell them, but it seems like they're sold out now.

Damian.

Banned
I had this same problem when Brawl came out. I called Nintendo, and they said it was a problem with older Wiis. I had to send it in. It took about two weeks before I got it back, but I've had no problems since then. It does cost quite a bit though. :(

Good luck!

This is probably what's wrong. This happened to me as well.

Do you smoke at home? I hope not with a kid around you, but the smoke can get on the DVD-lens of the Wii and then has a hard time reading the Brawl Disk.

Nope. Smoke free home.

Good luck!

Really? From what I read so far, it is a free process to send it in for this SSBB related issue.

It's very likely. If the Wii is kept in a dusty place or around smokers then there's a good chance the lens itself is dirty and you can get a cleaning kit for it.

Nintendo's online store used to sell them, but it seems like they're sold out now.

Console is kept in a pretty dust free area. (obviously no area of a home can be completely dust free).

Well thanks for the replies, I'll certainly try exchanging the disc and see I'd that works.

georly

My girlfriend's wii will not play brawl anymore because the laser is bad. Has to be played on my wii. Try another copy of brawl, but it might be your laser, unfortunately.

I may be remembering it wrong since it was quite awhile ago. It would be great if it doesn't cost a thing.

Yeah. Free is prob the only way I will go thru with the process, as I only paid $80 for console, can't see myself paying near that to have it "repaired/fixed/made to do what it should already do" just to be able to play a single game.

I did try cleaning it again a little more thoroughly - I uses a very soft cloth (kind that comes with cell phone screen protectors) and a little bit of peroxide and the game did boot up, my son & I played about three matches against each other. He then went on to play solo and made it to about the 5th opponent when that damn error message popped up on screen! Grrr, thought we were in the clear.

Something to note, while cleaning it I did notice a very tiny crack on the label side of the disc, in the very center of the clear plastic - I can't tell if it actually extends to the optical part of the disk tho - unlikely the major culprit of my problems, it's still not cool.

So I went to GameStop to try and exchange discs - go figure, they didn't have any more used copies. Luckily after some quick thinking, I asked if it was possible to exchange it for a new copy and the sales associate didn't think they even had any new copies on hand. I asked him to verify, and sure enough there was one new copy available. The dude let me exchange the used copy for a new one, I just had to pay an additional $2.

So I took the new copy home and put it in and played for about 2 hours, the system was running kind of loudly, but other than that - no problems.

Top Bottom