• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U Thread 5: Yarning for Yoshi

Gartooth

This past month has been incredibly busy, I've barely commented in here since the Little Mac reveal!

To recap, has there been any new info recently besides Little Mac and Diddy's return?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope they place some of the music this time around based off stage theme rather than game theme...

Because the King DeDeDe Battle theme would go great on the Boxing Ring.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
This past month has been incredibly busy, I've barely commented in here since the Little Mac reveal!

To recap, has there been any new info recently besides Little Mac and Diddy's return?

Not much aside from some items and stuff. Fairy in the bottle, Palkia comes out of a pokeball now, etc.

I made this at like 4am last night with some of the possible female newcomers. I wanted to make something Smash-related, and Miiverse doodles can only go so far for hype.

Here's hoping we see at least one of these ladies playable. I didn't include any FE ladies since there's no 3D renders of them - my pick is Anna, since she's a recurring character, but Robin, or Lucina would be cool too.

tumblr_n1ja9hGHIH1qibib0o1_1280.png

Mit-

For everyone who was dogging on Samus' Brawl look: Samus has always been based off of her appearance in old games such as Super Metroid. Nothing about her character design was ever based on anything newer (which makes sense, Metroid Prime didn't exist when Smash 64 or Melee was made, and since Melee they rarely do anything to update movesets on returning characters).

Brawl didn't update Samus to her Metroid Prime look either. It's interesting that they updated her look once a new Japanese console Metroid was made, with the original director of the series. Racist.

Berordn

Who do you guys think has the best chances, Dixie Kong or Waluigi?

Dixie. DKC's returned to the forefront as an active series, Dixie is playable in more games than any of the other characters not yet included in Smash and also I like her hair.

Waluigi's just a weird guy they made for spinoffs.

Ryce

For everyone who was dogging on Samus' Brawl look: Samus has always been based off of her appearance in old games such as Super Metroid. Nothing about her character design was ever based on anything newer (which makes sense, Metroid Prime didn't exist when Smash 64 or Melee was made, and since Melee they rarely do anything to update movesets on returning characters).

Brawl didn't update Samus to her Metroid Prime look either. It's interesting that they updated her look once a new Japanese console Metroid was made, with the original director of the series. Racist.
Samus’ Brawl design is actually based off of Zero Mission, which was the latest entry in the mainline Metroid series at the time of Brawl’s development. The Metroid Prime games are considered a side series in Japan.

d8HwbpI.png

Her armor obviously isn’t purple in Brawl, but note the green lights.

Other M is the latest mainline Metroid game since Zero Mission, which is why her costume has been updated for SSB4.

Who do you guys think has the best chances, Dixie Kong or Waluigi?
Dixie's chances are 50/50, and Waluigi's chances are nonexistent.

Dixie is playable in more games than any of the other characters not yet included in Smash

This is factually wrong. As a matter of fact, Waluigi is playable in significantly more titles than Dixie is, even if you were to include the GB/GBA ports/remakes of DKC.

Vlade

size_chart_characters_by_neoriceisgood-d77xqte.png

Based on today's screenshots giving us a few more clean shots I decided to try and make a reasonably comprehensive size chart of the cast so far.

I left out any character that doesn't have a clean enough shot to compare though. (Lucario, Diddy, Zelda, Toon Link)

So of the tallest 6 characters, there are 3 ladies and 3 cartoon monsters?

Berordn

This is factually wrong. As a matter of fact, Waluigi is playable in significantly more titles than Dixie is, even if you were to include the GB/GBA ports/remakes of DKC.

I was talking about DK characters. Even so Waluigi may be more titles but it's mainly as a game piece than as a character with fleshed out abilities.

Watch Da Birdie

I was talking about DK characters. Even so Waluigi may be more titles but it's mainly as a game piece than as a character with fleshed out abilities.

Waluigi's probably been playable in more titles than any of the non-Mario characters.

He's been playable in roughly 34 games.

NeonZ

Or maybe the whole "original director of the series" bit is what weighted there? Brawl updated her to Zero Mission, and now we get Other M.

Either way, Little Mac has his updated design and Giga Mac form from a Western developed title.

Ryce

Wouldn't want Dixie in it. Too close to Diddy.

They can find some better female characters.
Diddy and Dixie have nothing in common besides being from the same series. Diddy's depicted as a frantic acrobat, and Dixie is much more subdued. She would fight using her ponytails as limbs, which would set her apart from every other character on the roster. She's also one of the few truly recognizable Nintendo characters left, and to me that's reason enough to include her.

Mit-

Samus’ Brawl design is actually based off of Zero Mission, which was the latest entry in the mainline Metroid series at the time of Brawl’s development. The Metroid Prime games are considered a side series in Japan.

d8HwbpI.png

Other M is the latest mainline Metroid game since Zero Mission, which is why her costume has been updated for SSB4.
Ah, good catch. Didn't think about Zero Mission.

Still lame that they passed on Prime content. All it got was a color variation nod. And I realize it's a "side series" but doesn't it still fit into actual series canon?

Not to mention they're goddamn magnificent games.

Mit-

Either way, Little Mac has his updated design and Giga Mac form from a Western developed title.
There isn't a Japanese equivalent to compare it to other than the original. Not to mention the series as a whole is a bit more western focused. Metroid is (was) a series that had huge titles developed in both America and Japan in the same decade.

Mit-

Waluigi's probably been playable in more titles than any of the non-Mario characters.

He's been playable in roughly 34 games.
The same can probably be said for Toad and Koopa Troopa. Doesn't mean they are more than side characters.

Hell Toad has more of a right to playable status than Waluigi. Easy.

Watch Da Birdie

The same can probably be said for Toad and Koopa Troopa. Doesn't mean they are more than side characters.

Hell Toad has more of a right to playable status than Waluigi. Easy.

Of course.

The point I was illustrating is playable appearance count shouldn't factor into Smash Representation, as the Dixie vs. Waluigi argument based on title appearance alone was flawed.

Ryce

Ah, good catch. Didn't think about Zero Mission.

Still lame that they passed on Prime content. All it got was a color variation nod. And I realize it's a "side series" but doesn't it still fit into actual series canon?

Not to mention they're goddamn magnificent games.
Brawl had a Metroid Prime stage (Frigate Orpheon) and boss (Meta Ridley), so I wouldn't say that the game passed on Prime content. There are hundreds of Nintendo games without a stage or boss in Brawl.

Isn't character selection based on popularity and mechanics? Dixie has appeared in fewer games than Waluigi, but she's iconic. From a game design standpoint Dixie Kong can at least fly and use her hair to grab and attack. What can Waluigi conceptually contribute to the game? His brother Wario's moveset was carried over from the Wario Ware games, so Sakurai was able to make him unique from Mario. Waluigi hasn't had any games to differentiate him from Luigi. He's basically a taller and more angsty Luigi.

I made this at like 4am last night with some of the possible female newcomers. I wanted to make something Smash-related, and Miiverse doodles can only go so far for hype.

Here's hoping we see at least one of these ladies playable. I didn't include any FE ladies since there's no 3D renders of them - my pick is Anna, since she's a recurring character, but Robin, or Lucina would be cool too.

I'd be very, very surprised if we can't toggle Male/Female on Villager like we can Wii Fit Trainer.

Shufel

Waluigi is a memorable character but that's only because he appears in so many games, is Wario's partner (who most assume to be his brother) and Luigi's opposite. I like him but he has no place being playable in Smash and is a complete filler character.

Mr Buddy

Isn't character selection based on popularity and mechanics? Dixie has appeared in fewer games than Waluigi, but she's iconic. From a game design standpoint Dixie Kong can at least fly and use her hair to grab and attack. What can Waluigi conceptually contribute to the game? His brother Wario's moveset was carried over from the Wario Ware games, so Sakurai was able to make him unique from Mario. Waluigi hasn't had any games to differentiate him from Luigi. He's basically a taller and more angsty Luigi.

I think that they could possibly give him a moveset based on all the side/party games he's been in. he could also be a possible rep for those. Like base some of his moves off of mario party stuff, like throwing a dice block, or using some of the mario sports equipment to attack

Mit-

Brawl had a Metroid Prime stage (Frigate Orpheon) and boss (Meta Ridley), so I wouldn't say that the game passed on Prime content. There are hundreds of Nintendo games without a stage or boss in Brawl.
Another good point. I guess I was approaching it more from the playable character side of things.

But I'm disappointed with 99% of returning characters move sets and designs. They hardly change characters up between games. They update the look (sometimes) and that's mostly it. The only exceptions we've seen for Smash 4 so far are Bowser, Pit, and possibly Zelda.

Even though a lot of these characters are still doing moves wholly based off of N64 and GameCube era games when they've had plenty of new games to inspire updated designs.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
size_chart_characters_by_neoriceisgood-d77xqte.png

Based on today's screenshots giving us a few more clean shots I decided to try and make a reasonably comprehensive size chart of the cast so far.

I left out any character that doesn't have a clean enough shot to compare though. (Lucario, Diddy, Zelda, Toon Link)

I think lil mac is shorter
and it sucks fox suffers from smash height differences, in his own universe he is average height at 5'8

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

d8HwbpI.png

Dixie's chances are 50/50, and Waluigi's chances are nonexistent.

yea her design is based off zero mission however there are design quirks that are from metroid prime integrated into the suit.

Top Bottom