• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molemitts

I've played some of the demo now. My major complaint is the controls.

Especially, pulling off a recovery jump (up special? I'm unsure what you guys call it) is so hard I've died several times because of that. Maybe I'll get used to it eventually, but it's still annoying, for now.

GamerJM

Banned
Is it just playing the battle mode? I just played and Ness randomly challenged until he got ktfo by Little Mac.

I played through classic mode several times and unlocked a few characters until I said fuck it and just did a bunch of 1 stock matches with level 1s until I unlocked everyone.

Hatchtag

Banned
Gonna head to bed. Unlocked every character and stage and all of my main's custom moves, plus played a few hours with a custom Ganondorf character that is just awesome. Good day I would say.

JoeInky

Going to make posts on every set of custom moves in the game, starting with Ness, I don't read japanese so I don't know the official names and it's hard to test if they have extra properties like shieldbreaking because of the barebones training mode, but anyway:

Neutral Special 1 (PK Flash)

Fpcq3z4.jpg

Ness' usual NSpecial, has to travel a set distance vertically before it starts moving horizontally, can be detonated as early as about half Ness' height above him or whenever it falls to the same height that Ness used it, not much range or height to it.

Does around 8% at it's minimum charge and 35% at max charge. Has decent KO power, but the very slow nature of the move and lack of horizontal control means it's also not very useful at all.

The move also puts you into special fall still despite it providing no benefits as a recovery move whatsoever.

Neutral Special 2 (Rising PK Flash)

yvgdkYa.jpg

Can be detonated practically instantly, it's the opposite of the default PK Flash in that the horizontal distance it covers is negligible but it will constantly move upwards instead of for a set period, will go from the bottom of Battlefield right to the top of the screen.

Does 5% at minimum charge and only 23% at max charge, the blast radius is about twice the size of the default NSpecial though.

The large blast radius and high vertical distance means it's quite useful as a move for getting players falling to the stage.

Move still puts you into special fall.

Neutral Special 3 (PK Freeze)

42FoyjV.jpg

Looks and moves exactly the same as the PK Flash, except it's blue and freezes whoever it hits based on the amount of damage they have.

Does 9% damage, 2 second freeze at minimum charge and 18% damage, 4 second freeze at maximum charge, though I'm assuming the freeze times should be lower when used on real people (if it ever actually hits them) seing as you can probably escape it by pressing buttons. Knockback is massively reduced.

Again, special fall, don't ask me why because nobody knows.

Side Special 1 (PK Fire β)

O7WL1iZ.jpg

Travels horizontally on ground, diagonally in air, if it hits a person it spawns a flame pillar, if it misses, hits the ground or hits a shield, it does nothing.

The flame pillar hits about 9-10 times for a total of around 20% but it is DIable and you can escape it having only taking 5 damage.

There are a lot of startup frames, enough for anyone with a reflector to use it on reaction or just dodge it by rolling towards you, and a lot of endlag on the move.

Do not use it in the air if the other person is grounded, do not use it if the other person is approaching you and you're standing still, you're going to get punished for it.

Either use the move as an edgeguard tool to try and get them trapped long enough for you to dair them or pivot cancel it when grounded, and even then the pivot canceled PK fire is still pretty unsafe because there's still enough time to dodge it.

Side Special 2 (PK Fire Ω)

4Ni6xRZ.jpg

Travels the same distance, moves horizontally when grounded and diagonally when airborne.

Creates a flame pillar that does more damage and lasts longer but the individual hits are more spaced out and they have higher knockback, so it's much easier to DI out of it.

Will do about 40% damage if you hit someone with the entire move, but that's never going to happen.

The startup frames are exactly the same but the endlag is almost one and a half seconds.

The move sounds like a good idea on paper but the way they've implemented it means it's objectively worse than the default SSpecial, don't use this.

Side Special 3 (PK Fire α)

nM3r2kL.jpg

Seems to go slightly further than the default PK fire and will always travel horizontally.

Spawns a flame pillar that will only last for 2 hits that do 1% and then 8%, the knockback on the second hit is higher and knocks them away from you, which means it's a good keepaway tool. Has exactly the same startup and endlag as default PK Fire from what I can tell.

The increased travel distance means that you can pivot cancel it from further away, make it a safer option, it doesn't have the same potential for combo setups as PK fire 1, but there aren't many combo options off of a PK Fire in this game other than 1 more move or a grab.

Up Special 1 (PK Thunder β)

0ff2f6U.jpg
jLfuKar.jpg

Ness' usual PK thunder, moves relatively fast, does 8% damage and his higher knockback than in previous games.

The thunder will disappear and put you into special fall if you hit another player or some other surface, though it does appear to have immunity to destruction on the first few frames as it will go through people at first.

Hitting yourself with it will cause you to fly in the opposite direction, travels about the same distance as it always has, damage and knockback decreases as you travel, starting from 25% damage and very high knockback to 20% with very low knockback.

Up Special 2 (Lucas' PK Thunder)

d1rZ6Fw.jpg
o7Knyy0.jpg

The thunder this time travels slower but can go through enemies, the head of the thunder has pretty high knockback to prevent you from hitting multiple times, but the tail hitbox does less knockback and damage, so if you manage to hit them with that, you can trap them inside the thunder and do around 20-30% damage, otherwise it does 7-8% damage.

When you hit yourself with it, you seem to go further than the default PK Thunder and it traps other players inside your hitbox, doing 1% damage a hit until the final hit which does 10% and has increased knockback, which is less than default PK Thunder.

Up Special 3 (PK Thunder Ω)

2SrAot9.jpg
eYNFivV.jpg

Travels slower, has a larger hitbox and does 12% damage and increased knockback on hit. The move isn't piercing so it won't go through other players.

When you hit yourself with the move, you travel about half the distance of default PK thunder, but it has a larger hitbox, does 30% damage and has some of the highest knocback in the game (I killed bowser at 60% with it). Knockback decreases as the move goes on, but damage stays uniform throughout.

If you think you're not going to have a problem recovering use this, otherwise it's probably better to use Lucas' PK Thunder.

Down Special 1 (PSI Magnet)

dP707Z2.jpg

Same as it always is, heals you when it abosrbs energy projectiles based on the amount of damage the projectile would have done, pushes people away very slightly when the move ends, has no real applications if you're fighting someone without an energy projectile.

Down Special 2 (Explosive PSI Magnet)

nSSn077.jpg

Has no projectile absorb properties whatsoever by the looks of things, whilst held it will suck people in towards you from quite a large distance (y'know, just incase you wanted that badly spaced aerial from the other player to hit you instead of miss) and when the button is released, does a small explosion that does 10% damage. Knockback is equivalent to his Ftilt so it's about average, the damage and knockback are unaffected by the length of time you held the button.

You can't explode instantly and the endlag seems to be less, probably ends up being the most useful version of PSI magnet if you're playing against someone without energy projectiles.

Down Special 3 (Lucas' PSI Magnet)

KmRFu2v.jpg
WfCARt7.jpg

For this move, Ness holds the magnet out in front of him, has higher ending lag and does 9% damage if the other player's hitbox is overlapping the center of the Magnet hitbox when you release the button, they can be inside it without touching the middle and not get hurt.

The higher endlag makes it easier to punish you if you read the wrong move or something and that combined with the fact that the magnet is in front of you makes you vulnerable to crossups, but I think it's a better option than the default if the other player has an energy projectile, otherwise I'd just go with the second DSpecial.

Final Thoughts

I think there are only 2 customs that I'd say you should use over the others, Side Special 3 and Neutral Special 2, the default and other variation of the move are just useless compared to these two.

For the other two moves it really depends on what the other person has picked, using the Green PK Thunder will give you the edge against slower, heavier characters, allowing you to go toe-to-toe with them in terms of damage and knockback potential whereas you're going to want to use Lucas' PK thunder if you're playing against a fast characters that's going to be trying to jump off the stage and edgeguard you.

For PSI Magnet it really just depends on whether the other person has an absorb-able energy projectile or not, but whichever version you end up using, you should probably refrain from using the move in actual play 90% of the time, it has very few applications.

And the annoying thing is that none of this matters when you play online for the most part! Have fun not being able to use straight up better versions of moves on a character that has very bad defaults.

My personal loadout for the character (never thought I'd be using the word loadout in Smash) is 2322, though I change it to 2332 against heavy characters sometimes.

So that's that then, it actually takes a while to unlock all custom moves for a character due to the complete random nature of it and the fact that you can get duplicates, but I'm going to keep plodding on. Is there any particular character you guys want me to go into detail next? I was planning on doing Olimar.

Nintendad

I'm in love with Little Mac now. Some of his punches just throw him off the stage though. The problem with that is his Up B is terrible.

Hatchtag

Banned
Cross posting from what I posted on another forum, so that you don't have to do one for Ganondorf, JoeInky. Here's his custom moves:

Custom B 2: Similar to his normal B, but with a sword that greatly extends the range of the attack, and comes out a little faster. It loses some power, but with the super armor and range, its a very, very usable move in combat.
Custom B 3: A sort of in between of his normal B and Custom B 2. In between range, power, and speed. Has a magic effect to it.

Custom Up B 2: See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65FnotezJd0, I start hitting with it around a minute it. Has the same height as the normal Up B, however, this starts with a circle of meh damage at the start of the jump, and at the apex of the jump, has an almost knee-like knockback effect. At high percents, these two hits combo into eachother, often being able to finish off a character. It's a really, really good attack when used correctly.
Custom Up B 3: Two short jumping hugs. Admitably, I haven't found a real use for this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's something to it I haven't figured out.

Custom Side B 2: Shorter range than the default, but instead of slamming the opponent down, blasts them off with a lot of knockback at a diagnol angle. This could be very, very useful, though I personally prefer his next one.
Custom Side B 3: Doesn't grab the opponent. Instead, pushes them with multi-hitting lightning effects with decent knockback. You know how in Project M, Ganondorf's Side B is great for entering into a tough situation? This is a hundred times better. It eats through shields. It knocks in opponent off the side of the stage, readying them for an aerial attack. It is an excellent, excellent move.

Custom Down B 2: Trades the purple looks for blue, and hits at much more of an angle. Ganondorf jumps airborn if on the ground before using it. This is great for moving Ganondorf around, though it isn't quiet as useful as it would be since Ganondorf doesn't regain his jumps after a down b. Still, a lot of potential with this attack.
Custom Down B 3: My custom move of choice. It loses some power and gains some start up time, but hits at more of a straight down angle in the air, making it excellent at meteor smashing, and covers more distance when used on the ground. Combined with Custom Side B 3, this can really lead to some unique mix up options.

Tenck

Decided playing was more important than sleeping. Wish Nintendo would let you add people you play against in for glory mode.Played against the same dude for like three hours. We were evenly skilled too. Was perfect ;__;

Edit: I'd also like to add that after 150 online matches I can without a doubt say I can count on one hand the amount off matches that had any noticeable lag. Once it's officially out worldwide you guys are in for a treat.

Griss

Ness analysis. (snip)

That's a super analysis and a super post.

I'm not sure what the point of these customs are, considering the restrictions and how minor the differences are between most moves. More importantly, seeing as how Ness now has three of Lucas's moves as customs, I'm thinking that if Lucas was cut just so Ness would have some potential custom moves then I would be fuming mad.

Hip Hop

I played through classic mode several times and unlocked a few characters until I said fuck it and just did a bunch of 1 stock matches with level 1s until I unlocked everyone.

Wait, so how exactly do you unlock characters? Just playing random matches?

SuperSah

Banned
Edit: I'd also like to add that after 150 online matches I can without a doubt say I can count on one hand the amount off matches that had any noticeable lag. Once it's officially out worldwide you guys are in for a treat.

Well damn.

Now I'm even more excited!

JoeInky

For custom characters, if I don't add any stat skills, do they have the same attributes as non custom versions?

Yes, everything about them is exactly the same, except from the special moves.

I'll do Zelda next then, Munchie. I'm not a Zelda main but I should still be able to go into the same amount of depth.

Thanks Hatchtag for the analysis, I'm still going to do my own because I'm a Ganondorf main as well thouh and I'll take any excuse to talk about him haha.

And yes, Ness took most of Lucas' moves (Though they're not actually called "Lucas' X", that's just my name for it), but I don't think that's why he was cut because it was his normals that really differentiated the character, otherwise Falco would probably have been cut as well.

Could just be time or budget constraints or even DLC plans.

And yes, the matches online rarely have lag, but an online match is very noticeably different from a local one if you're a competitive player, it feels like the controller is covered in glue or something to me, moves come out 10-20 frames slower than you might have wanted them to and it can ruin a lot of games or key moments.

Though for casual play, the majority should be completely fine, much better than Brawl.

Decided playing was more important than sleeping. Wish Nintendo would let you add people you play against in for glory mode.Played against the same dude for like three hours. We were evenly skilled too. Was perfect ;__;

Man, I really hope you're right. Are you in Japan and playing people from Japan?

Tenck

Man, I really hope you're right. Are you in Japan and playing people from Japan?

In the states. Phoenix Arizona to be exact. Pretty shocked at how well the matches go.

And it's been Japanese players since I always check their username. A few occasional English usernames, matches are still smooth.

Edit: oops double post

Haldinian

Sakurai blessed me and three friends with the special demo to burn our 3DS until the real deal arrives in October. Also I mash the Little Mac icon but nothing happens.

PS: Hi SmashGAF.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I will pass on this... It's just a horrible decision to release this first, it lessens the experience of getting a new smash brothers game. And I don't want to get tired of it by the time the actual version releases. Why do I want a party game on a handheld? Such a bummer.

SuperSah

Banned
I think I've come to the conclusion that I will pass on this... It's just a horrible decision to release this first, it lessens the experience of getting a new smash brothers game. And I don't want to get tired of it by the time the actual version releases. Why do I want a party game on a handheld? Such a bummer.

Because it feels and plays like a boss.

Tenck

Sakurai blessed me and three friends with the special demo to burn our 3DS until the real deal arrives in October. Also I mash the Little Mac icon but nothing happens.

Brace yourself. Little Mac is easily countered :(

He was my most anticipated character.

Also anyone feel Zero Suit Samus is somewhat weak? Like the only way I can really knock someone out is if they're pretty high damage percentage. Or if they're feeling lucky and come at me after the ledge grab. Unfortunately people don't let me have it so easy.

Others characters have some strong attacks that pretty much guarantee a knockout without resorting to bring your opponent to like 180 percent.

In the states. Phoenix Arizona to be exact. Pretty shocked at how well the matches go.

And it's been Japanese players since I always check their username. A few occasional English usernames, matches are still smooth.

Edit: oops double post

That's great! Man, can't wait. I...can't stop playing the demo.

ffdgh

Hello mah boi! Welcome to GAF and more importantly Smash GAF. Platinum edition!

Kouriozan

I always thought Smash 3DS looked good.
But damn, when I started the demo, it was BEAUTIFUL *-*
And that 60 FPS is awesome as well.

Ozium

so smooth.. so good... shame that megaman sucks (at least I have no idea how to use him)

villager is amazing though.. one thing that has sold me on the 3ds version is that I'm not big on playing the computer over and over (humans sure, or if unlocking stuff) but it's nice to just pick it up play a couple matches and then close it and then pick it up in a half hour or so..

Do I get this on eshop or cart?

I usually go cart but went eshop for animal crossing, which was great for the time I was playing it but now it just wastes space... I never finished AC jus took a break from other games but I feel like I'd want to go back at some point...

#NintendoProblems

JoeInky

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but you only keep the last 10 pickups you pick up in Smash Run, everytime you collect a new one and you already have 10, it replaces the knocks the earliest one you got off the stack.

The best way to unlock custom moves is to play smash run and only pick up the bags with the wrench on them, avoid the ? bags and the coins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom