• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EulaCapra

If anyone likes to read rumors like I do, here's a fun one from GameFAQs. Very likely fake but it's a fun read.
They decided to "leak" crap right after Lucina/Robin and after another Gamefaqs leaker's post was bumped from June that said that Lucina would be getting in and not Chrom along with playable stage bosses for the Wii U. Not to mention that this one says they're French, but they get pretty defensive and argue better than most English-internet users and sure love their question and answering. LOL I'll still believe because what else is there to do here?

Well anyway, at least they put out a timestamp on their leak.
Well the beauty is that in about 14 days we're getting a Nintendo Direct that will play one of the new trailers. [they say Shulk+Takamaru and Dixie Kong+Marshall will be the last two videos]

And a bonus choice quote.
For instance, the reason that each character has their own slot now (as opposed to Zelda and Sheik being in 1 slot) is because Nintendo as a whole apparently has been getting consistent flack that they focus too much on male characters and don't represent females enough in gaming. Iwata, supposedly, asked Sakurai directly to put more females in Smash, and Sakurai was confused, because he believed he already had a number of females. So he separated them out so that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus would have their own slots just to show that visibly.

I was told that's also why we got Lucina in the game. (Originally it was just supposed to be Robin with Chrom as an ultimate.) Supposedly that's also why the avatar characters were made sure to have both male and female options (Wii Fit, Villager, Robin). BUT I was told this from a less reliable source than I normally have, so maybe true, maybe not. Hopefully I made sense with what I said.
I'm not saying this is real, but that's quite a silly catalyst on why there's no more character transformations. God forbid the game mechanics and user feedback lol. I just want this to be real because Iwata would be my hero for executive ordering more female presence after the shitty Brawl oversight.

Moonlight

Banned
How's this? Totally let me know if you want a different color. Really only takes a minute to do.

wahqir.png
Looks perfect! Thanks so much, dude.

Just because you don't find unlocking characters fun doesn't mean it's an inherently bad design. It's meant to appeal to a different personality type. That comparison isn't even remotely the same. Comparing game mechanics across genre's is just a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

To be honest, I'd agree it's not a like for like comparison, but it's worth noting that it still kind of works for your point on differing tastss anyhoo: some people play RPGs just to relax with something that'll just occupy them and as such actually find grinding quite cathartic.
I'm not one of these people, but it's always interesting to find out there are folk out there that like all kinds of things that on the surface seem completely pointless to you or I because we're in these games looking for a different experience from the one they're seeking :3

Durden77

Not the first time we've heard someone say they saw Ganondorf in the demo. Myself, I don't understand those rumors: if Ganondorf wasn't intended to be in the demo, then how could anyone have seen him? You don't just accidentally put a character in a demo.

It's the same guy. The guy that's hearing it was the one that posted it to the Smashboards. Jus depends on if the other dude was bullshitting or not.

justchris

By the way, D1 (Melee and Smash Invitational commentator) was on a podcast tonight and said he continues to stay in touch with NoA in order to grow the Smash 4 community.

That's pretty cool. I know people like to argue about whether this game will be competitive or not, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, that entirely depends on Nintendo. If Nintendo starts supporting Smash 4 tournaments with prize money, or even starts hosting their own tournaments, this game will easily replace Melee in the tournament scene, even if it's objectively worse than Brawl. People believe Brawl is bad for tournaments because it's not as much fun to watch as Melee, but that's an opinion. Different people like watching different things, and until the last 5 years, the number of people who would watch a video game being played for any significant amount of time was negligible as a market.

Now that game streaming is a big market, Nintendo can bring in the viewers just by putting money into advertising the Smash community in a way it hasn't been able to before. I think this will mean good things for Smash 4, good things for Tournament Smash, and good things for the Smash community if Nintendo is willing to really commit to it.

Tripon

I'll say this for the rumor. Its smart that he only included a text representation of his 'leaked roster', because an actual screenshot would have revealed himself instantly.

It is amazing how now that the Gematsu leak is in question, everyone and their grandmother suddenly has inside information.

There were plenty of rumors like this during Gematsu's heyday, we just paid less attention to them because we were all so sure about Gematsu. I think there's been at least one new "leak" on Gamefaqs every week since the April Direct.

That's pretty cool. I know people like to argue about whether this game will be competitive or not, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, that entirely depends on Nintendo. If Nintendo starts supporting Smash 4 tournaments with prize money, or even starts hosting their own tournaments, this game will easily replace Melee in the tournament scene, even if it's objectively worse than Brawl. People believe Brawl is bad for tournaments because it's not as much fun to watch as Melee, but that's an opinion. Different people like watching different things, and until the last 5 years, the number of people who would watch a video game being played for any significant amount of time was negligible as a market.

Now that game streaming is a big market, Nintendo can bring in the viewers just by putting money into advertising the Smash community in a way it hasn't been able to before. I think this will mean good things for Smash 4, good things for Tournament Smash, and good things for the Smash community if Nintendo is willing to really commit to it.

I think Smash 4 will definitely be able to be played competitively. We know tripping is out. And as long as some effort is put into balancing with a knowledge of past mistakes, then we shouldn't end up with a Metaknight situation. Plus, we have an easy patching method now.

That said, Smash 4 might not be as aesthetically pleasing as high-level Melee without more movement options (i.e. dash dancing and reduced landing lag, etc.) that promote offensive play. And while this is a point easily blown off, an audience is important in building an engaged community. Chess is competitive, but good luck finding an audience for it.

I won't expect Smash 4 to be the game that unites the Melee, Brawl, and P:M players in harmony. But I do expect it to be able to have competitive play, and there will be people who enjoy watching it.

Mariolee

I don't buy it because Shulk.

Sorry Xenofans. I don't think it's happening.

On a different note, I'm disappointed that Lucina is a clone. they could have done so much more with her fighting style.

Why do you not think it's happening? Would you like to bet something on it? Something penis related?

Oh man I wish that bit about the Shulk and Takamaru video with Meta Knight and Ganondorf is true. I'd love to see that. Otherwise, meh, seems like a safe attention grabbing prediction to me.

I don't buy it because Shulk.

Sorry Xenofans. I don't think it's happening.

On a different note, I'm disappointed that Lucina is a clone. they could have done so much more with her fighting style.

Would you want to make a wager on that?

Masked Man

I said wow
So, I managed to get my hands on a copy of this week's edition of Sakurai's "Think About the Video Games" column (thanks, Ryce!). Enjoy!
3AQmK.gif

Masahiro Sakurai said:
We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.
"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.
Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.
I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.
Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!
In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Anyone else here think that Lucas will make it into the game given that the Gematsu leak now isn't 100% accurate?

I sure as hell hope so! :D

Tripon

I think Smash 4 will definitely be able to be played competitively. We know tripping is out. And as long as some effort is put into balancing with a knowledge of past mistakes, then we shouldn't end up with a Metaknight situation. Plus, we have an easy patching method now.

That said, Smash 4 might not be as aesthetically pleasing as high-level Melee without more movement options (i.e. dash dancing and reduced landing lag, etc.) that promote offensive play. And while this is a point easily blown off, an audience is important in building an engaged community. Chess is competitive, but good luck finding an audience for it.

I won't expect Smash 4 to be the game that unites the Melee, Brawl, and P:M players in harmony. But I do expect it to be able to have competitive play, and there will be people who enjoy watching it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013#Schedule_and_results

Well, when you can pay players over a million to play chess, having an audience doesn't matter anymore.

Also, first google search "Chess Twitch" gives me this guy. He has over 2 million views total, I think that's decent.

High level-Melee isn't really aesthetically pleasing to me. It's exciting and thrilling to watch, but the advanced movement is also often irritating as well. It's very jerky and spastic. The characters look very unnatural doing what they're doing. I understand that it's just the nature of competitive Melee, but I hope Smash 4 finds a way around the awkward looking movement, while still retaining the movement options.

Anth0ny

At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.

okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom