• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XV: Kübler-Ross Edition

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No Bayonetta. I'm pleased. :)

Sakurai should have chosen her over Toon Link in Brawl.
tetra-big2.png

Oh yeah. Tetra would be cool.

Chesnaught is definitely underrated.

Definitely! Chesnaught is underrated big time. I'm one of original supporter for him.

Not

Banned
I still have no idea why any of you thought Bayonetta would actually be in this game. Especially after the entire roster was just leaked. It's like, the Ridley folks are less delusional

I just wanted to pop in to say I friggin' love all of you SmashGAFfers. I've become so dedicated that I've read every reply in threads 13 - now... while I can't post at work, you guys make my work day MUCH more entertaining.

Can't wait to get my ass whooped by you all while I'm stoned as fuck villager

IBNnuJK.jpg

NotLiquid

Are you saying Dr. Mario is a bad game? Well you're wrong, just so you know, but everyone has their own opinion.

Did you try this, though?
DrWarioMinigame.png

It's mostly the same, but it has Wario, so it's a lot better.

I said no such thing. I was talking about having a good rep, not having one from a good game. Doc is great but if it were just a case of representing a puzzle game I'd go with Lip due to a more original inclusion.

Ideally I'd prefer to have both.

But yeah, I can tell you right now that Mega Man does not suck, but he takes a far greater deal of effort to get good and dangerous with than, say, Little Mac or Zero Suit Samus. He feels just like he should based on his source games, which means as a Smash character he feels really different; there's literally no one else who plays like him. He's almost entirely projectile-based, which makes spacing more important with him than maybe any other character. Whipping out a quick forward smash to clear space immediately is not an option with him, since his forward smash is only good when it's charged, which can only be done from far away without being punished.

Due to his really high learning curve, I don't think we're going to be seeing many Mega Man mains and I predict that a lot of people are going to write him off as low-tier/shitty and leave it at that. I'm cool with that, though; it'll just mean that only real Mega Man fans will put in the time and effort required to master him, which makes it all the more special!

I have to agree with you Ash, since I did try out Mega Man during the Best Buy event. During halfway through the match, I tried to punch my opponent since they were next to me, but I had literally forgot that Mega man can't punch (except his strong up attack). I ended up relying on his air attacks and dash attack most of the time.
and items
I wasn't really used to playing a character that shoots as his standard attack.

Even though he has a high learning curve, I think it will be worth it. I am planning on mastering him, and end up as my second main! (My first is Samus :p)

I said no such thing. I was talking about having a good rep, not having one from a good game. Doc is great but if it were just a case of representing a puzzle game I'd go with Lip due to a more original inclusion.

Ideally I'd prefer to have both.
Oh my bad then. I misread your post and wanted to make a tongue-in-cheek reply lol.

Has Nintendo done more than one game-specific Direct for the same game before? Smash kind of already had one, and though I'd love to see another, I'm not sure what else they could do other than reveal all the secret characters. I guess expand on Wii U features and modes, maybe some Amiibo stuff, but that feels like stuff they could work into a more general Direct.

But have they done two for the same game before?

They've done 2 Directs for Tomodachi Collection, though one of them was a Mini Direct (and both were Japan only). That said, I think Smash Bros. with its staggered releases of the 2 versions would warrant 2 Directs, with the second one being focused on the Wii U version, although I don't think we'll be getting another Smash Direct for the 3DS version, unless they incorporate info about possible DLC.

Edit: Actually, they've also done 2 Directs for Animal Crossing New Leaf apparently.

So... am I the only one around here who actually likes Dr. Mario as a separate character? Among all the low effort clone possibilities, Dr. Mario comes from an incredibly popular/high-selling game and serves as Smash Bros.' sole puzzle genre representative. Superficially he's just Mario in a lab coat, but he embodies so much more than that. I just wish the viruses were incorporated into his moveset somehow, but I know that's unlikely considering he's a clone.

I like Dr. Mario being a unique character. I was pushing for a Dr. Mario alt because I never thought he'd come back after being axed, but hey, I'm all for him being brought back as full character. That said, I believe they could incorporate the viruses in Doc's Final Smash - I doubt he'll have the huge fire blast Mario has since Doc has lightning-based effects as opposed to fire-based ones (in Melee at least).

During halfway through the match, I tried to punch my opponent since they were next to me, but I had literally forgot that Mega man can't punch (except his strong up attack). I ended up relying on his air attacks and dash attack most of the time.
and items

I honestly forgot about that for some time. Really shows how individualistic the character of Mega Man really is as a fighter

Sure, it's always possible, but I think Capcom and Nintendo have better relations than you might be giving them credit for. Nintendo's running a Capcom sale on the eShops right now, Capcom is easily the third-party with the most games on the Virtual Console (Wii U at least), Capcom is the only third-party to get (two so far!) StreetPass puzzle panels dedicated to their games/franchises (Mega Man and Monster Hunter 4), and with the way Mega Man has been constantly featured on the eShops as an honorary "Nintendo character" and how his many Virtual Console releases have all been treated as major events by both Nintendo and Capcom (even going so far as to have two entire months dedicated to Mega Man VC releases), it's honestly like Nintendo has once again become Mega Man's second unofficial home. With how heavily Nintendo is promoting him as one of "their" brand characters, I don't think seeing him come back for Smash 5 is out of the question at all.
Well, they did decide to make a sequel to what was supposed to be a 3DS-exclusive game (which was then ported to other systems) exclusive to Microsoft and Sony's last gen and current gen systems, but nothing for Nintendo. I am of course talking about Resident Evil: Revelaitons 2.
I think Mega Man's chances aren't really worth determining now. The next installment is years away, and who knows what might change in that time? Maybe Microsoft will buy Capcom and decide to not use IPs like Mega Man... though that wouldn't be too much of a change, considering the series' current state. Or maybe (hopefully), Mega Man will have a huge revival as a Nintendo-only product, sealing his slot in the next Smash Bros. game.

Please Sakurai give me Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as one character ='(
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi as one character? Taking away the unique aspect of the Ice Climbers and giving it to what would be the Mario series' eighth rep?
Over my dead body.

J-Tier

I would of preferred Paper Mario over Doc as playable if we're talking about Mario clones to be honest. I know he reps a game, but he's JUST Mario in a doctors outfit.

It would've been more proper IMO to upgrade Mario to having a moveset that added Doc and Galaxy moves to his repertoire.

Mariolee

I still have no idea why any of you thought Bayonetta would actually be in this game. Especially after the entire roster was just leaked. It's like, the Ridley folks are less delusional

You all will look like assholes once Ridley is revealed to be playable. YOU'LL ALL SEE.

I would of preferred Paper Mario over Doc as playable if we're talking about Mario clones to be honest. I know he reps a game, but he's JUST Mario in a doctors outfit.

It would've been more proper IMO to upgrade Mario to having a moveset that added Doc and Galaxy moves to his repertoire.

Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone though. His moveset is completely different - hammer, paper abilities like the airplane and tube, or maybe even Pixl abilities from Super Paper Mario.

Ridley direct announced next week --> Ridley announced
to be not in smash.

Ridley's already in Smash
as a stage boss.
They'd have to announce Ridley as a playable character in Mario Kart 8 - the only location where "too big" wouldn't be a problem.
BrPHp1OCcAEIFbF.png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So... am I the only one around here who actually likes Dr. Mario as a separate character? Among all the low effort clone possibilities, Dr. Mario comes from an incredibly popular/high-selling game and serves as Smash Bros.' sole puzzle genre representative. Superficially he's just Mario in a lab coat, but he embodies so much more than that. I just wish the viruses were incorporated into his moveset somehow, but I know that's unlikely considering he's a clone.

Nope, you are not only one. I used to play Dr. Mario a lot when I was young so Dr. Mario's inclusion in Melee made me thrilled. Ironically I still used Mario's Dr. Mario alt in Project M. Now he's back so I'm hoping that he would have unique final smash that would involved with viruses.

J-Tier

Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone though. His moveset is completely different - hammer, paper abilities like the airplane and tube, or maybe even Pixl abilities from Super Paper Mario.
I meant "Mario clone" as in another Mario, not a clone mechanically. I should have clarified that I didn't like doc as playable because he really is just Mario. Whilst Paper Mario could be construed as an alt dimension Mario just like Toon Link to Link.

Hatchtag

Banned
Customized controls need to be shown soon, I wanna be able to use the English and Japanese screens for reference so I know what the hell I'm doing.

I meant "Mario clone" as in another Mario, not a clone mechanically. I should have clarified that I didn't like doc as playable because he really is just Mario. Whilst Paper Mario could be construed as an alt dimension Mario just like Toon Link to Link.

I'm not really sure if Dr. Mario is just Mario in a coat. Maybe he's from an alternate universe where Mario decided to go into medicine instead of plumbing?
Nintendo's pulled shit like this before, with Tanooki Mario, Metal Mario, and Gold Mario being their own characters in games like Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf: World Tour, despite them just being Mario with a powerup.
Not that I'm trying to defend Dr. Mario being playable - he's an awful addition in my opinion.

What's your opinion on Zero Suit Samus?

I have to agree with you Ash, since I did try out Mega Man during the Best Buy event. During halfway through the match, I tried to punch my opponent since they were next to me, but I had literally forgot that Mega man can't punch (except his strong up attack). I ended up relying on his air attacks and dash attack most of the time.
and items

Even though he has a high learning curve, I think it will be worth it. I am planning on mastering him, and end up as my second main! (My first is Samus :p)

Yep, you described the exact situation I have found myself in many times with Mega Man, and the one situation that I think will mess up new Mega Man players more than any other. You really have to get used to using his up and down smashes to clear immediate space instead of his forward smash. His forward smash can ONLY be used effectively from a distance. It's really jarring, but damn if that forward smash isn't amazing when you get good with it.

And yeah, his up tilt (Mega Upper) is his only real melee move aside from Top Spin (dash) and Slide (crouch). As someone who doesn't consciously use tilts as much as he should, that's going to be something that forces me to use tilts on purpose more often.

Well, they did decide to make a sequel to what was supposed to be a 3DS-exclusive game (which was then ported to other systems) exclusive to Microsoft and Sony's last gen and current gen systems, but nothing for Nintendo. I am of course talking about Resident Evil: Revelaitons 2.
I think Mega Man's chances aren't really worth determining now. The next installment is years away, and who knows what might change in that time? Maybe Microsoft will buy Capcom and decide to not use IPs like Mega Man... though that wouldn't be too much of a change, considering the series' current state. Or maybe (hopefully), Mega Man will have a huge revival as a Nintendo-only product, sealing his slot in the next Smash Bros. game.

Good point about Resident Evil: Revelations 2. But yeah, I totally agree that it's not worth worrying about now - as you said, the next Smash game is YEARS away, and what matters is that Mega Man is playable in Smash here and now. I'll worry about the next game when that time comes. ;)

GamerSoul

I’m going to go out on a limb here by presenting our next nomination:
utzymq.png

Sukapon

Notable Appearences
Joy Mecha Fight (1993)

Bio
Sukapon is the main robot from the fighting game Joy Mech Fight. He is designed to become a spectacular fighting robot. Like all robots in the game, his limbs are seemingly separate from his torso, but this allows him to become more flexible and agile while fighting. Sukapon was made by the two doctors Dr. Little Emon and Dr. Ivan Walnuts. When Dr. Walnuts declared his intent to rule the world, Dr. Emon used Sukapon to defeat Dr. Walnuts's robots, and stop the evil doctor.

After an epic battle on the moon and the defeat of Dr. Walnuts, Sukapon was rebuilt to become even more powerful. Sukapon is the most basic robot playable in Joy Mech Fight, and therefore has the most basic attacks. While not weak, he is not powerful in any regards, and is mostly played by newcomers and players looking for a challenge.

What NeoGAF Says

What do you guys think? Should Smash Bros. honor its roots with the lead of one of Nintendo’s earliest fighters? Or is this bot better left in the junk pile? Let us know below!

Previous Newcomer Nominations Click on them to find out more!

Note: Unlike veterans, the newcomers being posted are not being revealed in order of most votes due to the amount of different choices; I'm just sharing the ones I find most interesting. However, for the last five newcomers, I will present those in order as the newcomers who got the most votes.

A few people have mentioned him before but I don't know if I'm lik the lack of limbs in a game like this.

WHat the?! I missed the Syrup post?? :0 I regret not writing a bit more on her when I had the chance. dammit lol

Captain Syrup would be fun character. We need a pirate character!

yesss, if Heath is on board then I know I'll be alright. He got his Duck Hunt Dog somehow. lol I need some of the good luck for next time, man.

I'd be kind of annoyed if the new clones + doc mario had new Final Smashes while Toon Link, Shiek, and possibly Falco are stuck with the same ones they had in Brawl doubly so in the case of Toon Link and Falco. Not that I dislike the landmaster of the triforce slash but it'd be kind of bogus if Dark Pit and Lucina get unique Final Smashes while they're stuck with their clones original FS.

Die, Intelliheath.

Where was the entire roster leaked?

Golnei

I'd be kind of annoyed if the new clones + doc mario had new Final Smashes while Toon Link, Shiek, and possibly Falco are stuck with the same ones they had in Brawl doubly so in the case of Toon Link and Falco. Not that I dislike the landmaster of the triforce slash but it'd be kind of bogus if Dark Pit and Lucina get unique Final Smashes while they're stuck with their clones original FS.

Oddly enough, Sheik's the one which bothers me most, perhaps due to ZSS's new FS. They could have even given her Luigi's old FS - except instead of dancing, she'd play the Nocturne of Shadow on her harp.

georly

So with the news of Twitpic shutting down, I immediately set to work on saving the pics of Sakurai's cat (Fukurashi) and I came across two very interesting pics...

This was taken over two years ago. Research material, or a gift from Namco? :O

GUYS THE SSE CLOUD THEORY WAS TRUE

georly I'm sorry

I'm just honored you remembered me. I still stand by it as foreshadowing the villains of sse. Until samurai laughs it off and says no, no one will be able to convince me otherwise.

Toon Link really should have had the Hurricane Slash. : Or something nuts like calling in an actual hurricane with the Wind Waker. Still bummed about that cloned FS more than the others.

J-Tier

Toon Link really should have had the Hurricane Slash. : Or something nuts like calling in an actual hurricane with the Wind Waker. Still bummed about that cloned FS more than the others.
He could've had something related to the King of the Red Lions too for an FS. He could've had a wildly different moveset-- but nope.

Good point about Resident Evil: Revelaitons 2. But yeah, I totally agree that it's not worth worrying about now - as you said, the next Smash game is YEARS away, and what matters is that Mega Man is playable in Smash here and now. I'll worry about the next game when that time comes. ;)
We can speculate about Splatoon's Inkling or a character from Codename: S.T.E.A.M. being in, but considering we're several years away from development even beginning, it's really not worth it.
Might as well spend the next few years playing tons and tons with Mega Man, right?

Lucina's almost definitely getting a "new" Final Smash. I think it will work exactly like Marth's, but instead of showing the little box with the health going down, it will do the cut-in where she says one of her lines from Awakening, then dashes forward and attacks.
Once again: Toon Link's Final Smash REALLY should've been the Ballad of Gales. He plays the song, gets lifted up in the King of Red Lions while everyone is getting blown around, then smashes down like Olimar's Final Smash.

Toon Link should've used wind in some way (see my above post for the Ballad of Gales idea), and Link's should've changed too. The Triforce Slash feels so generic. Even a copy of Captain Falcon's Final Smash with Epona instead of the Blue Falcon would've been more interesting.

Oddly enough, Sheik's the one which bothers me most, perhaps due to ZSS's new FS. They could have even given her Luigi's old FS - except instead of dancing, she'd play the Nocturne of Shadow on her harp.

I'm half expecting Doctor Mario to have Luigi's old one

Yoshi's invasion of the Panel de Pon series is not something that should be celebrated.
Doesn't really bother me to much since it was basically the same as Doki Doki Panic conversion to SMB2.

There's also no way the game would have succeeded in it's original form WW.

Top Bottom