• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal27

Banned
Well, the salt is getting legit crazy so I'm gonna go for now. Had a lot of fun guys! Final roster is great! I hope you find someone you'll like playing as!

I'm really not happy over Dark Pit guys.

Like he's the the most striking thing about the roster I'm desperately trying to remain positive about.

But the combination of blatant favoritism and being another clone is making things exceedingly hard for me accept.

MrBadger

I sort of think all of Sakurai's Ridley teasing was just speculation getting wildly out of control. He was confirmed as a Pyrosphere boss ages ago but people still thought he'd be playable for some reason or another.

Although leaks are the most exciting part of Smash hype, I wish nothing leaked in retrospect. Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt look like such great characters, and the "play as every koopaling" thing was a good inclusion. Also after seeing every newcomer listed, Dark Pit is the only boring one. Every other newcomer looks great.

Majukun

Time to rank the newcomers:

Robin
Palutena
Greninja
Mii Fighters
Duck Hunt Dog
Bowser Jr.
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Pac-Man
Little Mac
Villager
Rosalina
Dark Pit
Duck Hunt Dog
Little Mac
Megaman
Robin
Villager
Pac-Man
Bowser Jr.
Palutena
Greninja
Mii Fighters
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Dark Pit

Lunar15

I'm really not happy over Dark Pit guys.

Like he's the the most striking thing about the roster I'm desperately trying to remain positive about.

But the combination of blatant favoritism and being another clone is making things exceedingly hard for me accept.

You're not mad at Dark Pit, you're mad at the lack of something else and projecting it on the inclusion of Dark Pit.

Zubz

Banned
He was teasing Ridley? Since when? Oh it's just fans reading too much in to things.

By announcing Pyrosphere alongside "An enemy from Samus' past can appear at any second!" but not showing it right away like he had with the other boss characters, by showing the hole in Pyrosphere's wall without explaining why, by showing the silhouette in the Direct in a part about boss characters despite only showing off one boss character prior, and I'm sorry, but it's entirely justified that, by the 3rd PotD focusing solely on the skewed scales of the characters, he might have been hinting at something new with an abnormal size being scaled to fit the game somehow.

It's not "reading too much into things" if literally every other potentially-playable character was bluntly deconfirmed the second they were announced; ZSS actually was deconfirmed. before he came around and said he was joking, too, so it's not like there's no precedence for this kind of "trolling." "Assholish" wasn't the right word, and I apologize, but it's still not that smart of a decision. Sakurai was aware that Ridley was a widely-wanted character; Nintendo Power even blatantly brought it up to him during Brawl. I think he was hoping we'd be excited to see him as a glorified stage hazard, which doesn't seem to be the case.

There is another explanation, but it's an explanation suggesting he was trying to get us excited for something that should have been clear was going to be a let down since the explosion over the Pyrosphere reveal last August, where many immediately brought up that when they said they wanted Ridley in the game, they meant they actually wanted him to be playable as an immediate response to the mere suggestion Ridley might just be a stage hazard. Thus, I honestly don't find it unreasonable to have expected Ridley, and definitely think Sakurai was teasing him. Unfortunately, it just turns out he was teasing something disappointing, and I thought that would have been clear to the team since the teasing began; the proof wasn't just all over the Internet, it was specifically on Miiverse, which means they had to have seen it.

JoeM86

See, the thing is, if it wasn't for the ESRB leak, there would be minds being blown by Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. + Koopalings etc.

Now, we just have people being disappointed.

ANYWAY, tomorrow, in addition to my stream, I will be providing some crisp pictures for whoever wants them. THAT SAID, my site is priority so I will be needing to take screens for that as priority when something comes up.

Let me know what you want to see :)

Axass

AMAZING roster, still I'd have liked if it were a lil' more grounded in the past, we got a crapload of recent characters this time around.

Time to rank the newcomers

Worst to best:

Dark Pit
Lucina
Dr Mario
Mii Fighter
Wii Fit Trainer
Palutena
Pac-Man
Greninja
Duck Hunt Dog
Villager

5 -
Shulk
4 -
Rosalina
3 -
Robin
2 -
Bowser Jr.
1 -
Little Mac

Sakurai would be aware that the stage boss thing just made Ridley fans even more convinced he was playable. He should have shut it down ages ago like he did for Waluigi fans, etc. Not doing so when the fanbase was going crazy with hype is a dick move, imo.

Teasing him as a stage boss made people think he was playable.

Read what you just wrote.

It's not up to Sakurai to counter every theory fans come up with based on thin air

Durden77

Ah. Overall, the newcomer list is pretty fantastic. But some odd choices and some very odd cuts are still making me pretty indifferent to this roster.

Ugh....please let there be DLC....

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dark Pit is probably my only real problem with the roster. He was such an obvious cop-out. I would have much rather had Hades, even if he was a direct clone of Ganondorf or something.

I'll be straight up, I never liked WFT as an inclusion, or Duck Hunt and I still don't. Along with ganondorf as a captain Falcon clone are complete wastes of space on the roster where far better and more deserving characters should have made it. Nobody in Brawl outside of Ganondorf still being a falcon clone made me feel this way.

That's my opinion

I like the final roster. I got my most wanted newcomer (Shulk) and aside from the clones all of the newcomers look incredibly unique and fun to use. I think 49 is a pretty solid roster number, too. The only thing that hurts is losing Ice Climbers. I do feel bad for everyone who didn't get their most wanted newcomer in or had their favorite veteran cut, though.

Anyway, come at me. =p

GenG3000

This roster is incredible.

And again, You Will Know Our Names in the Gaur Plains stage. Incredibly hype.

Has anyone heard the main Gaur Plains theme, though? Is it lifted straight from Xenoblade?

Also, I like how the time of day changes, and the eyes of the Mechonis glow at night. :)

Yes, it's the original Gaur Plain theme.

The remix heard in Shulk's reveal trailer is probably in Wii U.

Kewl0210

Neo Member
BTh5Glm.jpg

http://mastiff.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1410454936/910

By announcing Pyrosphere alongside "An enemy from Samus' past can appear at any second!" but not showing it right away like he had with the other boss characters, by showing the hole in Pyrosphere's wall without explaining why, by showing the silhouette in the Direct in a part about boss characters despite only showing off one boss character prior, and I'm sorry, but it's entirely justified that, by the 3rd PotD focusing solely on the skewed scales of the characters, he might have been hinting at something new with an abnormal size being scaled to fit the game somehow.

It's not "reading too much into things" if literally every other potentially-playable character was bluntly deconfirmed the second they were announced; ZSS actually was deconfirmed. before he came around and said he was joking, too, so it's not like there's no precedence for this kind of "trolling." "Assholish" wasn't the right word, and I apologize, but it's still not that smart of a decision. Sakurai was aware that Ridley was a widely-wanted character; Nintendo Power even blatantly brought it up to him during Brawl. I think he was hoping we'd be excited to see him as a glorified stage hazard, which doesn't seem to be the case.

There is another explanation, but it's an explanation suggesting he was trying to get us excited for something that should have been clear was going to be a let down since the explosion over the Pyrosphere reveal last August, where many immediately brought up that when they said they wanted Ridley in the game, they meant they actually wanted him to be playable as an immediate response to the mere suggestion Ridley might just be a stage hazard. Thus, I honestly don't find it unreasonable to have expected Ridley, and definitely think Sakurai was teasing him. Unfortunately, it just turns out he was teasing something disappointing, and I thought that would have been clear to the team since the teasing began; the proof wasn't just all over the Internet, it was specifically on Miiverse, which means they had to have seen it.
It clearly was reading into things too much though

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Still haven't unlocked Ice Climbers? Those two are so wily! ;)

*comfort*

I like the final roster.

Not looking forward to the next month of constant bitching about it, so I'll probably just peace out from Smash discussion soon.

I really love the final roster but it would be super perfect if we didn't have any cut characters (mainly Ice Climbers) Yeah, people are going to complain about the final roster for LONG LONG LONG TIME.

See, the thing is, if it wasn't for the ESRB leak, there would be minds being blown by Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. + Koopalings etc.

Now, we just have people being disappointed.
To be fair, people would have also been wayyy more disappointed with that ROB reveal, and now people have had time to prepare for that being the final roster.

The roster is pretty great, and I think a lot of the newcomers here are more interesting than the ones from Brawl.

But still, I feel like the roster would be PERFECT if Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Mewtwo were in too. The Gematsu leaker had said that Lucas may be considered for DLC, so I guess we'll just have to wait. Even with those 4 missing, it's still a pretty solid roster, though.

Varjet

Sakurai would be aware that the stage boss thing just made Ridley fans even more convinced he was playable. He should have shut it down ages ago like he did for Waluigi fans, etc. Not doing so when the fanbase was going crazy with hype is a dick move, imo.

Nope, Ridley was always teased as a stage boss. If people want to jump to their own irrational conclusions, well, that's their problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom