• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the roster, but there's simply no way to defend Dark Pit. He is the shittiest newcomer Smash ever had, and there are a million better options for clones besides him. IMO, he the only stain in the entire roster.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Phew. End of an era. All I really needed to know is whether or not I should expect more than the leaked roster. With that, it's time to ignore everything about this game until it comes out. Feelin way too over-exposed right now. Let some of the hype build back up naturally.

...well except for all those streams tomorrow, I guess I'll check those out a little bit. But other than that!!! Gonna focus hard on Theatrhythm and Hyrule Warriors, blow SSB outta my brain for a while.

Servbot24

Banned
RIP SNAKE

not Lucina? She's basically nearly 1:1 clone of Marth, just like Dark Pit. If they decided to not do Dark Pit, then we wouldn't even get Ridley and Dark PIt.

I'm not sure what I would call Dr. Mario tho.

This notion is just silly. BLAME CLONES FOR NOT ALLOWING MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS GETTING IN.

At least Lucina has her own unique design. Seeing Dark Pit as his own character slot just makes me feel embarrassed that this is what Nintendo came up with.

HabeeNo

aeQx70.gif

IM WEAK LOL

Japanese character poll before Smash got announced.

mFtml7d.jpg

They had time to make a clone and no one else and went with the seemingly most requested one that was easiest to make. That favoritism, though.

Secondly (and I guess lastly)

aDFZT2B.jpg

When I went to bed this morning (ugh) people were damn insistent that there was only one page of challenges and Sakurai ruined the game and fuck his casualized babyfication of the series. So why does this now go to 70?

I guess I'll see people online in October. Or not because I have none of your friend codes and friend codes are dumb.

It clearly was reading into things too much though

The thing is, though, that Sakurai has teased Pac-Man, Palutena, Dark Pit and Shulk in a very similar fashion. Pac-Man was teased with the arcade Namco items being shown in that one screenshot pack, Palutena with the Pseudo-Palutena trophy in the Direct and the image of a Palutena statue he randomly dropped one time, Dark Pit in Palutena's trailer, while with Shulk it was the whole charade on Twitter, and all of those characters ended up being playable. Every character who didn't make it in as playable was immediately in the same picture/video confirmed to be whatever they are (stage hazard, trophy, AT, pokeball), and only in regards to Ridley and playable characters has he been coy.

If Sakurai wouldn't have set the precedence of teasing playable characters in this way, but outright would've shown Ridley and said "Ridley is a boss", I don't think any of us would've interpreted it any differently. But what he did was show a shadow that behaved completely abnormally to a boss character, and multiple ambiguous references to him in other instances. He never even said the name of Ridley, as of yet.

Macka

No. Fuck that notion. All Ridley EVER was teased as was a boss character on Pyrosphere.
Even if Sakurai intended that Ridley reveal to be taken one way, the fanbase went nuts over it and it just convinced more people he was playable. Sakurai follows what the fans are saying so he would have been aware of this, and should have shut it down rather than let it get to this point.

You can get on your high horse and say 'oh, but it was so obvious LOL', but thousands of people thought it was a possibility.

SuperSah

Banned
But yeah, guys, those expecting more past the most legit ass leak kind of had it coming.

Oh well. I'm sure there'll be future DLC.

Either way, awesome looking game. I need to play it now.

Ranking the newcomers:
1.Robin
2.Palutena
3.Duck Hunt Dog
4.Villager
5.Lucina
6.Greninja
7.Shulk
8.Rosalina
9.Wii Fit Trainer
10.Dark Pit
11.Mii Fighters
12.Little Mac
13.Pac-man
14.Bowser Jr.
15.Megaman
I still like all of them though.

Mik317

1. Megaman
2. Lil Mac
3. Duck Hunt ( Especially with the Banjo Kazooie colors)
4. Robin
5. Palutena
6. PacMan
7. Wii Fit Trainer
8. Greninja
9. Bowser Jr.
10. Villager
11. Shulk
12.Lucina
13. Rosalina
14. Dark Pit
15. Wii Fighters (GDLK Trailer tho)

Cse

Banned
I'm really doubtful that we'll see DLC characters. If we do get DLC, it will most likely be in the form of stages and costumes.

The team spent months trying to create a perfectly balanced roster. Tossing a few new characters into Smash would completely upset this balance. Sure, the team could spend months fine tuning the game yet again with the new characters, but this just doesn't seem likely.

Gleethor

I'm happy with the roster although I really wanted Snake and Mewtwo to return. I think there's a really good chance that we'll see more characters either with the launch of the Wii U version or DLC or both.

I think both are constructive. You should let a developer know when you like something and when you don't like something so that down the road they can better facilitate your desires.
I agree, but there's a way to constructively show your disappointment. "This roster is a fucking disgrace" is not the way to do so.

I know you're trying to play devil's advocate, but this point is so obvious that it's not worth discussing anymore.

SuperSah

Banned
Secondly (and I guess lastly)

aDFZT2B.jpg

When I went to bed this morning (ugh) people were damn insistent that there was only one page of challenges and Sakurai ruined the game and fuck his casualized babyfication of the series. So why does this now go to 70?

I guess I'll see people online in October. Or not because I have none of your friend codes and friend codes are dumb.

PM me if you want my FC.

Also, told you guys there'd be more than 35 challenges. ;)

Honestly, this is the best roster a Smash game has ever had, even if it has some drawbacks.

Not a fan of Dark Pit, but there's too many people to be hype for. It's not gonna rain on my parade.

I'm really doubtful that we'll see DLC characters. If we do get DLC, it will most likely be in the form of stages and costumes.

The team spent months trying to create a perfectly balanced roster. Tossing a few new characters into Smash would completely upset this balance. Sure, the team could spend months fine tuning the game yet again with the new characters, but this just doesn't seem likely.
Sakurai already mentioned that patches were a very real possibility for the game, so I don't think the idea of them changing around mechanics is so far fetched.

Bullza2o

I can't believe I'm spending my day watching Smash streams. The day before it releases in Japan too haha. So curious what happens after getting ROB.

harmonize

Still can't believe Mewtwo isn't in, even though unlike most of you others hoping for your favorite characters that were absent from the leak, I was pretty sure that the leaked roster was all that we were initially going to get at launch. I mean, the damn thing is probably the third most popular pokemon outside of Pikachu and Charizard, and he has a fighting style that has been shown to lend itself to the game; what more does he have to do to get in? :lol

Otherwise, it's a solid roster. Here's hoping for DLC, though.

The thing is, though, that Sakurai has teased Pac-Man, Palutena, Dark Pit and Shulk in a very similar fashion. Pac-Man was teased with the arcade Namco items being shown in that one screenshot pack, Palutena with the Pseudo-Palutena trophy in the Direct and the image of a Palutena statue he randomly dropped one time, Dark Pit in Palutena's trailer, while with Shulk it was the whole charade on Twitter, and all of those characters ended up being playable. Every character who didn't make it in as playable was immediately in the same picture/video confirmed to be whatever they are (stage hazard, trophy, AT, pokeball), and only in regards to Ridley and playable characters has he been coy.

If Sakurai wouldn't have set the precedence of teasing playable characters in this way, but outright would've shown Ridley and said "Ridley is a boss", I don't think any of us would've interpreted it any differently. But what he did was show a shadow that behaved completely abnormally to a boss character, and multiple ambiguous references to him in other instances. He never even said the name of Ridley, as of yet.
This.

mFtml7d.jpg

he was one of the most requested characters

What crazy ranking is this. Pit the most requested? Over mario and link and pikachu? 4 characters from KI in the top twenty?!?

That's a case of blatant sampling bias there if I ever did see one. Sales of KI uprising alone should be plenty to show the series is nowhere near as popular as that ranking would suggest.

I understand why many of us feel underwhelmed, it's mainly because we've known about these newcomers for so long that they don't even feel new. I can't wait to try out Palutena and Duck Hunt Dog, I tried Rosalina, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac and Villager out during a press event (in addition to veterans) and they all played fantasticly. Can't wait to give everyone a go. Not only that but many verteran movesets have been altered too, it's one of the most exciting rosters in a Smash game so far imo.

Zubz

Banned

Thank you. Too bad people're gonna get on your case and say it's still "reading too much into things," though.

Spinluck

I love the roster, but there's simply no way to defend Dark Pit. He is the shittiest newcomer Smash ever had, and there are a million better options for clones besides him. IMO, he the only stain in the entire roster.

Dr. Mario gets a pass? It's a plumber with no Med School Degree/Med license cosplaying as a doctor. Nothing more criminal than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom