• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Miiverse Update Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
See, the thing is, if it wasn't for the ESRB leak, there would be minds being blown by Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr. + Koopalings etc.

Now, we just have people being disappointed.

ANYWAY, tomorrow, in addition to my stream, I will be providing some crisp pictures for whoever wants them. THAT SAID, my site is priority so I will be needing to take screens for that as priority when something comes up.

Let me know what you want to see :)

Charizard Final Smash pls. (I know he changed into Mega Charizard but I want to see if it would have cutscene or not)

I hope DLC comes out in the near future. Hate to see characters to get cut. I didn't like to play as most of them (loved their characters in their respective games), I would have loved to see Smash 4 be the Smash game to include every single character from past Smash games and have their movesets tweaked (I.E. Toon link to make him more in line with Majoras Mask instead of a clone).

Overall, I am pleased with the newcomers. Hated DHD and Bowser Jr. at first, but they both look fantastic and fun to play. Probably will play with Shulk and Ike the most. And I don't really get why Alph wasn't a clone like Dark Pit.

Rapture

What crazy ranking is this. Pit the most requested? Over mario and link and pikachu? 4 characters from KI in the top twenty?!?

That's a case of blatant sampling bias there if I ever did see one. Sales of KI uprising alone should be plenty to show the series is nowhere near as popular as that ranking would suggest.

If i recall from a previous thread, this poll was taken right after KI:U release, by a third party gaming publication. That probably would explain the high amount of characters from that game.

Neiteio

Ice Climbers is such a loss that I'd personally refrain from incredible, but everything else is pretty great.
For me, personally, the greatest loss is Squirtle and Ivysaur. Well, I suppose the real greatest loss is Snake, but I mean of the characters who would be eligible to return no matter what. I do feel for the IC, Lucas and Wolf fans, though. I wanted EVERYONE to return. Cuts are never fun, and no one should be mocking those who are bummed their favorite character didn't make the cut.

That being said, I really am ecstatic about this roster. Looking at it for what it is, and not what it isn't, it's an amazing selection that borders on being overwhelming. Like I said, I'm not even sure who to choose first. It's almost maddening how many awesome choices there are in this roster. :)

I probably wouldn't use the term "incredible" but I feel like this is probably the most well rounded roster outside of maybe Smash 64.

The only thing that bothers me is how many original characters were cut. With Melee -> Brawl, the only real loss was Mewtwo, whereas here, we lost Squirtle, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Lucas, and a far removed clone in Wolf.

Ninka_kiwi

Neo Member
Im glad to see my leak was finally completely comfirmed with the koopalings alts.

Cannot wait to see what goodies are still hidden on 3DS as well as Wii U

I'm really doubtful that we'll see DLC characters. If we do get DLC, it will most likely be in the form of stages and costumes.

The team spent months trying to create a perfectly balanced roster. Tossing a few new characters into Smash would completely upset this balance. Sure, the team could spend months fine tuning the game yet again with the new characters, but this just doesn't seem likely.

Fighting games do it all the time, though. Namco in particular has done this a lot with both their Tekken and Soul Calibur series. The only reasons we might not get DLC are 1. Sakurai seems pretty burnt out right now and 2. Nintendo rarely does the no-brainer thing. It's pretty typical for us to get something that indicates one direction that Nintendo is going followed by a lot of games that ignore that feature.

PKGaming

Banned
Man...I was really hoping for Chorus Kids, especially considering Rhythm Heaven characters appeared in Smash Run. Smash 4 does have some odd decisions. Can't say I'm particularly happy with Lucina, Dark Pit, or Dr. Mario. And if the logic was that they were gonna be alts, but Sakurai decided "why not just make them characters?", then why didn't he do the same for Alph? If Alph can just be an alt, why not the others?

JoeInky

any actual gameplay impressions.

Like was the demo the real deal and the game is fun? (looks amazing to me but y'know)

Classic mode doesn't tell much with the scaling.

-Little to no shieldstun.
-Incredibly fast rolls and air dodges to the point where you can do it and only barely see the animation between air dodges/rolls.
-Multiple air dodges mean you can just spam in on your way down or whilst you recover with very little fear of being punished.
-Massive massive blast zones combined with floatiness and good recoveries makes everyone live too long.
-Characters can tech a meteor smash if you hit them while grounded, meaning you can get punished just for successfully attacking the other player.
-Some moves have needlessly high end lag (not necessarily landing lag) which ends up just feeling off to me.
-Shield degradation is practically minimal and there is very little shield damaging moves (in the demo).
-Momentum conservation still not being in the game hurts the fluidity for me.
-The quick rolls and lack of dash dancing makes tech-chasing practically non-existant.

+Game is faster than Brawl atleast.
+Tripping is gone.
+Characters generally feel good to play as.
+Combos are more of a thing due to no hitstun cancelling (apart from a megaman glitch)
+Meteor Smash ground bounces are amazing for combos with characters who have them (unless the other player is competent and techs it).
+Game runs and looks fantastic.

I like it, but it comes so close to being perfect and misses a load of minor and major things that aren't big changes and feel like no brainers that it makes me anxious about the future of the game and whether I want to drop Project M for it.

I think that character ranking is just the regular Nintendo Dream (?) ranking they do in the magazine every month, tbh. It doesn't mention Smash at all.

Just saw the final roster. There are a couple mildly disappointing cuts/non-inclusions (Paper Mario, here's to youuuuu,) but on the whole, I'm very pleased. This is the most exciting roster in all of Smash to me.

Thank you. Too bad people're gonna get on your case and say it's still "reading too much into things," though.

I'm less concerned about those people, and rather the smug self-satisfactory assholes who are like "Haha, you didn't get your most wanted character, omnomnom let me taste your tears" that have been spamming that shit all over the last few pages.

All of you who are doing this: You're giant, throbbing dicks, and you don't deserve any sympathy.

Pizza

The thing is, though, that Sakurai has teased Pac-Man, Palutena, Dark Pit and Shulk in a very similar fashion. Pac-Man was teased with the arcade Namco items being shown in that one screenshot pack, Palutena with the Pseudo-Palutena trophy in the Direct and the image of a Palutena statue he randomly dropped one time, Dark Pit in Palutena's trailer, while with Shulk it was the whole charade on Twitter, and all of those characters ended up being playable. Every character who didn't make it in as playable was immediately in the same picture/video confirmed to be whatever they are (stage hazard, trophy, AT, pokeball), and only in regards to Ridley and playable characters has he been coy.

If Sakurai wouldn't have set the precedence of teasing playable characters in this way, but outright would've shown Ridley and said "Ridley is a boss", I don't think any of us would've interpreted it any differently. But what he did was show a shadow that behaved completely abnormally to a boss character, and multiple ambiguous references to him in other instances. He never even said the name of Ridley, as of yet.

Thats about how I feel, I coooould see ridley becoming a Wii U exclusive newcomer (maybe you can link up to unlock him on 3ds?)

Imagine the hype if the Wii U version gets a couple really really rad characters, especially if we still hear nothing of ridley at all until then.

Either Ridley is a surprise DLC/Wii U addition or Sakurai is a dumbass when it comes to teasing, simple as that.

- Ridley is teased multiple times, without a clear concept behind it
- Ridley is said to be a stage boss, but not conclusively; compare to every other deconfirmation in Smash Bros. history, where the character is said clearly to be not playable
- No more mention of Ridley until release, despite the fact that someone on the PR team must have noticed that a lot of people were reading into that tease

If Ridley wasn't playable they should have shown him by now, and anyone who is defending these teases as reasonable simply hasn't been paying attention.

EulaCapra

BTh5Glm.jpg

http://mastiff.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1410454936/910
Ah... the stupid explanation as to why the fifth row would exclude Shulk: to make it evenly drop from 8 to 6. A perfect 50 boxes in a neatly organized package.

Fireblend

Banned
My newcomer ranking:

1. Robin
2. Greninja
3. Lucina
4. Villager
5. Bowser Jr.
6. Megaman
7. Little Mac
8. Pac-man
9. Duck Hunt Dog
10. Shulk
11. Mii Fighters
12. Rosalina
13. Palutena
14. Dark Pit
15. Wii Fit Trainer

What crazy ranking is this. Pit the most requested? Over mario and link and pikachu? 4 characters from KI in the top twenty?!?

That's a case of blatant sampling bias there if I ever did see one. Sales of KI uprising alone should be plenty to show the series is nowhere near as popular as that ranking would suggest.

That's just a general "Who's your favorite VG character" poll that the magazine Nintendo Dream does in every issue.

This particular poll was done in April 2012 -- right after KI:U came out, hence the amount of characters from that game on there. The most recent poll I've found was August 2013 and that only had Pit on it and he was like #8.

zroid

Banned
Can you imagine how good the Smash Bros roster could have been if Sakurai didn't waste time on Dark Pit?

Like, he probably would've had the resources to give Fire Peach a ponytail. The game would've been so much better omg.

Soulstar

Time to rank the newcomers:

Robin
Palutena
Greninja
Mii Fighters
Lucina
Duck Hunt Dog
Bowser Jr.
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Pac-Man
Little Mac
Villager
Rosalina
Dark Pit

Let's do this! I'm more of a fan of tiers so I went with that.

S Tier
Robin, Shulk, Palutena, Rosalina, Little Mac, Megaman

A Tier
Lucina, Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr, Wii Fit Trainer, Green Ninja, Pac Man, Villager, Mii Fighters

B Tier
Dark Pit

I'm actually happy with everybody even Dark Pit even though he is on the bottom. Also the only reason that Lucina is not on S tier is because she is just a clone.

beanman25

Sad about Lucas, but what can you do. Villager seems to have a charm, plus I like using him in the demo. Excited for tomorrow so I can try everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom