• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe tourney organizers can create a "high-skill" tournament bracket where players have to take into account stage hazards like the mother in Gamer, in addition to fighting their opponents?

Not really "high-skill" in a meaningful sense, since quite a few stages have entirely random hazards, Gamer being one such example.

I didn't mind that original piece, but I was surprised they didn't just reuse the Wistful Wild theme. Personally, I just want the Forest Navel music to play, if we're not getting it as it's own stage, that is. A Cave/Dungeon level would represent Pikmin just as well as reusing the Forest of Hope/Awakening Wood/Garden of Hope locale again.

And I'd like some Doshin representation, to be honest. Always wanted to give Doshin a shot.
I think above-ground stages are more recognizeable, especially when there are things in the background to keep you to scale. I like the "small" feeling of Garden of Hope, Distant Planet never gave me that vibe.

I think a terraformable stage based on Doshin would be neat. You could throw trees around and change the height of the landscape.
Doshin could even come by and pee on the fighters.

I just realized who you are by the way.

Man, this just makes me more salty that we don't get more Pikmin music.
I'm hoping they add some more Pikmin stuff in general. Something like the Swooping Snitchbug would make a great Assist Trophy, and I could easily see the Ultra-Spicy Spray become an item.

Neiteio

Not really "high-skill" in a meaningful sense, since quite a few stages have entirely random hazards, Gamer being one such example.
Gamer is well-telegraphed. The skill comes from being able to react to changes in the environment other than the actions of your opponent. :)

Doshin the Giant was an underlooked game with an amazing soundtrack. If W101 can get a few tracks in, I hope Doshin can as well.

Unfortunately, I think this is the only thing we'll see in Smash in terms of Doshin representation.

Pe3a1aa.png
GWcQfBh.png

We haven't had anything new since Melee, and it seems that the only retro-revival characters in Smash are really, really old.

Stuff like this is why I would really prefer smaller series like Chibi-Robo!! and others to get characters instead of already well-represented series. It would certainly help sales.
It worked for Fire Emblem after all.

Zubz

Banned
I think above-ground stages are more recognizeable, especially when there are things in the background to keep you to scale. I like the "small" feeling of Garden of Hope, Distant Planet never gave me that vibe.

I think a terraformable stage based on Doshin would be neat. You could throw trees around and change the height of the landscape.
Doshin could even come by and pee on the fighters.

I just realized who you are by the way.

I'm hoping they add some more Pikmin stuff in general. Something like the Swooping Snitchbug would make a great Assist Trophy, and I could easily see the Ultra-Spicy Spray become an item.

... Who I am?

I know the peeing isn't happening, but there's nothing I don't love about that Doshin stage beyond the urination. And I know that's part of the game. And I know we see more above ground stuff, but we know of 2 garden stages with Pikmin. 2 was basically half-dungeon, and the Forest Navel was a cave, too.

Wasn't the Careening Dirigibug considered to be a cut AT from Brawl? I mean, it's trophy talked about it throwing duds, which wasn't true in Pikmin, but was totally true for all explosives in Brawl. A Snitchbug is more iconic, though, so I can see that. Same with the Spicy Spray, or maybe even the Bitter Spray? I'd like to see one of those two become an item.

Sponge

Banned
We haven't had anything new since Melee, and it seems that the only retro-revival characters in Smash are really, really old.

Stuff like this is why I would really prefer smaller series like Chibi-Robo!! and others to get characters instead of already well-represented series. It would certainly help sales.

Another small series getting a representative would be fantastic! Chibi-Robo would be my first pick. I got Photo Finder recently on my 3DS, and it's a nice little game.

Mr. Doop

Unfortunately, I think this is the only thing we'll see in Smash in terms of Doshin representation.

Pe3a1aa.png
GWcQfBh.png

Yeah, it's kind of sad. Cubivore is another underrated Gamecube game that deserves some representation too.

Neoxon

Pe3a1aa.png
GWcQfBh.png

If any franchise needs the Smash boost, it's W101.

I'n actually a bit disappointed by the Wonderful 101 music reveal. It kills any hope of a Wonderful 101 stage (imagine fighting on the arm of the first boss as it rampages through Blossom City), and if Wonderful 101 representation is going to be limited to just music, then it'll be a wasted opportunity if "The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 101" is absent.

http://youtu.be/HvHKxnMv04k

Itcould be the new DK Rap, only so much better.

... Who I am?

I know the peeing isn't happening, but there's nothing I don't love about that Doshin stage beyond the urination. And I know that's part of the game. And I know we see more above ground stuff, but we know of 2 garden stages with Pikmin. 2 was basically half-dungeon, and the Forest Navel was a cave, too.

Wasn't the Careening Dirigibug considered to be a cut AT from Brawl? I mean, it's trophy talked about it throwing duds, which wasn't true in Pikmin, but was totally true for all explosives in Brawl. A Snitchbug is more iconic, though, so I can see that. Same with the Spicy Spray, or maybe even the Bitter Spray? I'd like to see one of those two become an item.
Well, you did change your avatar. I tend to recognize people that way, I only realized when quoting you who exactly you were.

Wow, that's a really weird thing to put in the trophy description. I checked the Piklopedia log too - wasn't mentioned there either.
Dirigibug would be a great Assist Trophy, but the Snitchbug has been around more and has a shiny new appearance.
A Plasm Wraith Assist would've been great too. It seems like they were setting it up to be some kind of consistent main villain, and he has a lot of attacks to use.
I'm hoping that if it comes back in a future Pikmin game, it might become a newcomer.
Another small series getting a representative would be fantastic! Chibi-Robo would be my first pick. I got Photo Finder recently on my 3DS, and it's a nice little game.
I think Chibi Robo could be really cool if they incorporate the energy mechanic. Maybe he'd become weaker over time, and would have to recharge with his down special.
How is he not an Assist already though?
Only because it still has a chance of success. A Doshin reboot is doubtful.

Zubz

Banned

I'n actually a bit disappointed by the Wonderful 101 music reveal. It kills any hope of a Wonderful 101 stage (imagine fighting on the arm of the first boss as it rampages through Blossom City), and if Wonderful 101 representation is going to be limited to just music, then it'll be a wasted opportunity if "The Won-Stoppable Wonderful 101" is absent.

It'd be different for one reason, though: It's legitimately good and campy good. The DK Rap just covers one of those.

Well, you did change your avatar. I tend to recognize people that way, I only realized when quoting you who exactly you were.

Wow, that's a really weird thing to put in the trophy description. I checked the Piklopedia log too - wasn't mentioned there either.
Dirigibug would be a great Assist Trophy, but the Snitchbug has been around more and has a shiny new appearance.

A Plasm Wraith Assist would've been great too. It seems like they were setting it up to be some kind of consistent main villain, and he has a lot of attacks to use.
I'm hoping that if it comes back in a future Pikmin game, it might become a newcomer.

I think Chibi Robo could be really cool if they incorporate the energy mechanic. Maybe he'd become weaker over time, and would have to recharge with his down special.
How is he not an Assist already though?
Only because it still has a chance of success. A Doshin reboot is doubtful.

And ah. Yeah, I wanted to get spooky for Halloween, and then realized that if I was going skeletal, I'd go with the best skeleton, Skeletor.

One thing I like about the Plasm Wraith was that
I think it already was a main villain. I mean, it may have just been cobbled together during 3's production, but the Plasm Wraith ties together the Goolix, the Waterwraith, the crash in Pikmin 1, and the almost-crash in Pikmin 2.
I want to see more of that thing, and as cool as it'd be to be playable, it'd be a nice Assist character to see. Maybe have it be like Clefairy was in 64, where it transforms into one AT for half its duration then another for the rest of it? Or utilize its variety of Plasm Goops? There's so much potential there!

And I know Chibi's not happening (I'm as baffled about the AT deal as you are), but he'd totally have to have an Battery mechanic. I don't know if it'd be fun, so maybe that's why they didn't put him in?

As for the Doshin reboot? I dunno, maybe if we start asking enough, they'll do a rush translation for it and release it to the eShop? That'd be cool. Also impossible, seeing how poor of a state the VC service is at the moment, and has been since the Wii U's launch. But if we weren't struggling to get games EU/JP has, let alone other consoles/games we had back on the Wii, Doshin'd be one of my top GameCube requests. Besides, wasn't there an English version for the UK?

Zubz

Banned
I put together a quick collage that shows all four transformations of Kalos Pokémon League:

ssb-wiiu-compile-kaloqspec.png

Just gorgeous... <3

Gorgeous, yes. I just wish I could turn off Rayquaza and the Water Slide. The Lava Geysers'll get it banned, too, but with friends, I can handle that.

Zubz

Banned
Hey now, Prince Sable is one of the most useful ATs in the game.

I know... That kinda surprised me, but I like it. He makes cute little blips and a cute cartoon dust cloud before ruining an opponent's day. I like that mild juxtaposition.

This and the new Mario Circuit are probably my favorite stages so far.

Oh man, that stage is going to be beautiful with an MK8 Soundtrack to back it up. Don't we have confirmation on Dolphin Shoals from somewhere?

Oh man, that stage is going to be beautiful with an MK8 Soundtrack to back it up. Don't we have confirmation on Dolphin Shoals from somewhere?

Wait, I take it back, Kalos Pokemon League and Wuhu Island are my favorite new stages.

I personally enjoy MK8's Cloudtop Cruise theme.

always eastern :3
You're welcome for letting you play the game earlier in the day, West Coast people!

Speaking of Prince Sable, has anyone seen him in the WiiU version? I've been thinking he might be a 3DS exclusive AT.

His trophy was in the Photo Studio thing. He's probably in.

And ah. Yeah, I wanted to get spooky for Halloween, and then realized that if I was going skeletal, I'd go with the best skeleton, Skeletor.

One thing I like about the Plasm Wraith was that
I think it already was a main villain. I mean, it may have just been cobbled together during 3's production, but the Plasm Wraith ties together the Goolix, the Waterwraith, the crash in Pikmin 1, and the almost-crash in Pikmin 2.
I want to see more of that thing, and as cool as it'd be to be playable, it'd be a nice Assist character to see. Maybe have it be like Clefairy was in 64, where it transforms into one AT for half its duration then another for the rest of it? Or utilize its variety of Plasm Goops? There's so much potential there!
I think the Plasm Wraith was probably only created during Pikmin 3's development, but his design was inspired by the Water Wraith.
Never connected the Goolix to the Mysterious Life Form though - that's an interesting thought.
Causing the original crash was a total retcon, but I think more crashes will be caused by it in future games, just like the one that happened at the end of Pikmin 3's credits.
I put together a quick collage that shows all four transformations of Kalos Pokémon League:
ssb-wiiu-compile-kaloqspec.png

Just gorgeous... <3
Hey! Where did the Dragon types go?

Neiteio

I'm excited about Metal Face on Gaur Plain. I don't mind a boss mixing things up, at least not on a stage where you have plenty of room to go around him. Doesn't hurt that in my 70+ hours playing Xenoblade Chronicles, he is still my favorite character from that game. I can listen to his voice all day...

*Metal Face tucks Neiteio into bed*

Neiteio: "Tell me a bedtime story!"

Metal Face: "You just want me to talk! Go to sleep!"

Also, he looks so... so... so METAL!

ssb-wiiu-bosscompile-tci3k.png

Golnei

Wait, I take it back, Kalos Pokemon League and Wuhu Island are my favorite new stages.

I personally enjoy MK8's Cloudtop Cruise theme.

Cloudtop Cruise has to be there. And if it's a direct rip and not an arrangement, I hope they incorporate its multiple variants, which would fit with Mario Circuit being a traveling stage. A setup that used the primarily orchestral 'exterior' version for half of the stage and the more guitar-driven 'interior' version for the other, with the first-place percussion fading in whenever the stage is in motion would work really well.

I'm a little disappointed with the implications as well - W101 had so many great locations to use as the basis of stages - but this is at least better than no musical representation at all. If Jergingha isn't all we get, I'm hoping to see "Intertwined" on Colosseum, "Guyzoch Space Pirates ~ Teios Form" on Lylat Cruise or Orbital Gate, and "Lost City of Lowrule" on Bridge of Eldin or Temple.

Neiteio

BTW, we know that there are X/Y Pokémon not pictured in the X/Y Pokémon trophy set, like Fennekin, who presumably has a trophy, as well:

ssb-wiiu-trophysetxycbkcct.png

This makes me think that the trophy sets do not represent the full extent of trophies that fit that criteria. Rather, they probably just require you to collect a number of qualifying trophies in order to "complete" the set.

In other words, you could've completed the above set by using a Fennekin trophy instead of Swirlix, for example. Or even Greninja himself, seeing how Toon Link can be used in the Wind Waker trophy set.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Really basic question, but is there a mode in Super Smash Bros Wii U that I could play together with my wife? Not against her, because I'm likely to be too good a player. We just completed Diablo 3 coop on Hard and she really enjoyed playing together.

Neiteio

Really basic question, but is there a mode in Super Smash Bros Wii U that I could play together with my wife? Not against her, because I'm likely to be too good a player. We just completed Diablo 3 coop on Hard and she really enjoyed playing together.
You can play Team Smash on the same team against the CPU, which means you can enjoy all of the core content without fighting each other.

You can also play Classic, All-Stars, Event Mode, and certain Stadium events on a co-op team.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
BTW, we know that there are X/Y Pokémon not pictured in the X/Y Pokémon trophy set, like Fennekin, who presumably has a trophy, as well:

ssb-wiiu-trophysetxycbkcct.png

I can't really express how much I really love the idea behind Trophy Box feature. I'm going to have a lot of fun to completing those Trophy Boxes :)

Yes, you can. From top of my head, All Stars, Multi-Man Melee, Home Run and Event Mode.

Xux

Most of the single player content is co-op. Watch the 50 fact thing on Nintendo's YouTube to see.

Edit: Beaten because mobile.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Most of the single player content is co-op. Watch the 50 fact thing on Nintendo's YOuTube to see.

Yes, you can. From top of my head, All Stars, Multi-Man Melee, Home Run and Event Mode.

You can play Team Smash on the same team against the CPU, which means you can enjoy all of the core content without fighting each other.

You can also play Classic, All-Stars, Event Mode, and certain Stadium events on a co-op team.

Fantastic, this might be our next game then! Hope there is a good tutorial - will check the 50 facts video to find out!

Neiteio

Fantastic, this might be our next game then! Hope there is a good tutorial - will check the 50 facts video to find out!
In the game, there's a "Movies" menu, and one of the videos listed there is a tutorial on how to play the game. It's very easy to learn, but of course there's a lot of depth to master. No complicated button inputs, though. The controls are extremely easy, and all of the moves have super-satisfying feedback. :)

They haven't spawned/appeared yet.

CCXhh5L.gif

Can I just take a second here to complain that it bothers me 4/5 Pokemon in this game have exactly the same introduction animation.

It makes sense on Charizard and maybe Greninja. Pikachu is anime, he hates Pokeballs. Jigglypuff alwarys struck me as a wild Pokemon in Smash. She should jump in, as if ambushing from a grass bush.

Hopefully Mewtwo teleports in and they don't just make his entrance the same but from a master ball.

Neiteio

Can I just take a second here to complain that it bothers me 4/5 Pokemon in this game have exactly the same introduction animation.

It makes sense on Charizard and maybe Greninja. Pikachu is anime, he hates Pokeballs. Jigglypuff alwarys struck me as a wild Pokemon in Smash. She should jump in, as if ambushing from a grass bush.

Hopefully Mewtwo teleports in and they don't just make his entrance the same but from a master ball.
Mewtwo's stage entrance should be him floating in a laboratory tank, before awakening and bursting out mad as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom