• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Community Thread and |OT|

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF Nintendo?! Limited Edition still not available in RU region after a whole week since release last friday. Let me buy the damn game already!
rfUL7QT.gif

By the way, if anyone wants to beat classic mode with 9.9 intensity and is having trouble, do it with Bayonetta. Other than the Pit army, and Charizard's AI sometimes being a dick, pretty easy.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
can someone answer me this -- what are the "credits" listed next to the gift icon? i have had a really hard time finding out cos when i google "Super Smash Ultimate Credits" i just see a list of people who worked on the game lol.

i was wondering bc the SHMUP mini game at the end of Classic Mode has a bar on the bottom of the screen. the bar has 5 credits, shown with icons that look like birthday presents, and if you shoot enough credits, you win all 5 of them. would be nice to know exactly what they are used for so i can decide to ignore the game or not.

can someone answer me this -- what are the "credits" listed next to the gift icon? i have had a really hard time finding out cos when i google "Super Smash Ultimate Credits" i just see a list of people who worked on the game lol.

i was wondering bc the SHMUP mini game at the end of Classic Mode has a bar on the bottom of the screen. the bar has 5 credits, shown with icons that look like birthday presents, and if you shoot enough credits, you win all 5 of them. would be nice to know exactly what they are used for so i can decide to ignore the game or not.
It seems to just be additional rewards for doing classic mode. You know after you beat classic you get a reward screen with spirits, snacks for leveling up spirits, and other things and it says "rewards earned" at te bottom of the screen. I think each gift icon in the credits SHMUP you get as you fill the bar adds an additional reward to that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
New patch is live:

Version 1.2.0
You can confirm your current version by checking the upper-right corner of the title screen.

• Offline Gameplay
    • Adjusted difficulty of approaching challengers.
  • Online Gameplay
    • When matchmaking in Quickplay, the Format setting of your Preferred Rules will be prioritized more. This may cause matchmaking to take more time. Also, there is no guarantee that matchmaking will be done exactly as shown in the set Preferred Rules.
    • Increased the stability of the synchronous connection within Battle Arenas.
  • NOTE: Online features require a Nintendo Switch Online membership.
  • Misc.
    • Game balance adjustments.
    • Various gameplay fixes.
    • The fighters that had specific adjustments and changes are the below:
  • Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the credits you get from the SHMUP mini game -- what are the rewards? can i spend them on the spirit board? i just want to know what you can do with these gifts (or "credits"). can you buy something? where? do you swap them for upgrades or something? how to use them.

i did two matches, one where i did pretty well and entirely ignored the rewards, and another where i did pretty bad, died a lot, but i did really well in the mini game and got all the presents. in that one i got hardly nothing as far as spirit snacks and stuff, but i got the 5 gifts. in the game where i played better and ignored the mini game, i got tons of snacks, lots of additional stuff, just no gifts.

Last edited:

red_shift

Neo Member
Really liking the online since there are so many inexperienced players like me out there.

Last night I set my preferred rules and just floated through a bunch of matches using the rematch feature.
I see people complaining that the service doesn't do 'No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination' well enough but to me part of Smash is that it's unpredictable.

I want to try the new modes, especially the Squad Strike.

JimmyJones

Banned
I haven't played this online since release day because my Switch suddenly changed to NAT type 'F' for some reason. I've tried port forwarding and setting a DMZ and neither work! :messenger_loudly_crying:

My ISP sent someone out to fix my frozen TV box a few days ago, and ever since then I've had this NAT problem.

red_shift

Neo Member
I haven't played this online since release day because my Switch suddenly changed to NAT type 'F' for some reason. I've tried port forwarding and setting a DMZ and neither work! :messenger_loudly_crying:

My ISP sent someone out to fix my frozen TV box a few days ago, and ever since then I've had this NAT problem.

Did you set a static IP for your Switch via the MAC address? If not, the console might be getting a new IP based on your DHCP lease timer.
Generally, enabling Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on your router should enable NAT Type B which works well with consoles.

Manual method from Reddit below but you probably already tried that.

"If you have access to your internet router, configure a port map for destination ports in the UDP 49000-65000 range to your Switch IP (Switch needs a static IP or a static DHCP lease). This will give you NAT A
Apparently the Switch uses that big range of ports for randomisation... dumb but that's how Nintendo designed it."

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
New patch is live:

Version 1.2.0
You can confirm your current version by checking the upper-right corner of the title screen.

• Offline Gameplay
    • Adjusted difficulty of approaching challengers.

Kinda bummed about this. I was looking forward to those not being pushovers.

• The fighters that had specific adjustments and changes are the below:
    • Link, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle

LOL, I think that might actually rate as "specific" for a Nintendo change notes list.

Edit: Smashboards are on it. Mostly glitch fixes found so far.

Last edited:

red_shift

Neo Member
Ohh good thing about patch 1.02.

I've lost so many challenger battles it is a little embarassing and discouraging.

Same here, after the patch the challengers are pushovers but it takes some of the fun out of it. Especially since you can just get them to join your team in World of Light instead.

Just bought this today.

Smash games I played prior are: Smash 64, the Gamecube one and the 3DS one.

I couldn't really get into the 3DS one all that much. But I figured the Switch version would be best, and the fact that it had Solid Snake and Ryu/Ken made me kind of inclined to get it.

Here are my first impressions after about 2 or 3 hours of play.

But I'm just not seeing the appeal of getting hit by random shit. It's so annoying. So many deaths aren't even my fault. It takes too long to reach a new foe to unlock. It'd be better if it was done through the story mode.

Kind of just want to go back to playing Dragon Ball Fighterz. That one doesn't feel cheap at least. But I paid 60 bucks for this so I a determined to make myself like it. I at least want to get Solid Snake and Bayonetta. How long till I get them?

I got to Pit but got my ass handed to me.

Ten_Fold

After playing the game for a bit, I’ve been and out of elite smash(stopped playing quick play) and I think the game is really really good, I don’t play smash it took me awhile to figure out the buttons and how to short hop which is the only hard thing to do imo.

I think the game as a package is amazing got 70+ characters the game feels good an lots of things to do. Now the online is probably one of the worst I’ve played I wished they just made a basic online rank system the gsp system requires you to basically play that mode at least once a day. I still get 3 stock 1v1 with items on me game an watch stage which is weird. I don’t think I’ll play this at tournaments or anything I’ll just stick to sf5 and sc6. I’ll continue to play it as I have fun playing Link, Roy, and Chrom. I’m just kinda sad about the online I guess Nintendo wanted to throw the competitive side a bone but not make it a big focus.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
is there anyone here w wired online? wondering how it works with an ethernet connection.

tried playing online yesterday and it was rough. i have wireless tho. a few months ago i played through Bloodborne streaming through PSNow and it was only playable through a wired connection. im wondering if that's pretty much a necessity.

for me there was constant stuttering. at one point it paused for a couple of seconds.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Incredibly, the sheer amount of unlockable stuff has got Smash finally ‘click’ for me. As in, I have played more than 10 hours of the game, without getting bored. There is so much to do in this game, and the progressive SP difficulty works well.

I decided to go full Smash. Ordered an offical wireless GameCube controller, and the official hard cover strategy guide.

Purple was the only colour in stock but what the hell, might go full GameCube too while at it. Hope I cannise this for Luigi’s Mansion 3!

PowerA-GameCube-Controller-Purple.png

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I was going to wait till Xmas, but I gave in on Wednesday last week and purchased it.
Great game so far, been playing the classic mode with Samus.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played Smash since the original N64 version. Just bought this and fired it up and it's...overwhelming how many options and menus and modes there are.

How would y'all recommend getting started and caught up to speed? What's a good progression of modes? I'm probably going to be SP-only for a while. I'm not super into online play (I'll give it a shot eventually though) and any friends I might play against locally have gone home for the holidays already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Haven't played Smash since the original N64 version. Just bought this and fired it up and it's...overwhelming how many options and menus and modes there are.

How would y'all recommend getting started and caught up to speed? What's a good progression of modes? I'm probably going to be SP-only for a while. I'm not super into online play (I'll give it a shot eventually though) and any friends I might play against locally have gone home for the holidays already.

Classic Mode. Start from the first character, play its campaign, see if you can unlock the new challenger. Pick second character, play its campaign... rinse and repeat. It’s super fun. I learned the basics of Smash Bros doing just that. There is so much to unlock, and it’s so addictive, will probably take weeks to get them all unlocked.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Incredibly, the sheer amount of unlockable stuff has got Smash finally ‘click’ for me. As in, I have played more than 10 hours of the game, without getting bored. There is so much to do in this game, and the progressive SP difficulty works well.

I decided to go full Smash. Ordered an offical wireless GameCube controller, and the official hard cover strategy guide.

Purple was the only colour in stock but what the hell, might go full GameCube too while at it. Hope I cannise this for Luigi’s Mansion 3!

PowerA-GameCube-Controller-Purple.png
Glad to see it grabbed you! I’m having the same experience, got about 55 characters unlocked and a great deal of that is through classic mode, still get owned more than half the time on challenger approaches....

I’m pretty comfortable with Mario now, but seemed to do well with lucario and Lucinda as well. Laughably almost got the 9.9 with princess peach but not quite.

Also chewing through adventure mode pretty hard and mixing in a bit of online here and there

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Classic Mode. Start from the first character, play its campaign, see if you can unlock the new challenger. Pick second character, play its campaign... rinse and repeat. It’s super fun. I learned the basics of Smash Bros doing just that. There is so much to unlock, and it’s so addictive, will probably take weeks to get them all unlocked.

Is Classic mode basically the equivalent of what the single-player mode was for the N64 version? That would be the most familiar to me -- good to know it's a great place to start!

Are there any good guides out there with "getting started" tips that are worth reading? Things I probably wouldn't figure out on my own in terms of moves/abilities, mechanics, etc?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This gives a really good overview of the depth in the mechanics I think

I've got that stupid "It's Ashley" song stuck in my head from the spirit world after trying to get that spirit >_>

stupid is song is catchy as hell.

Last edited:
I have been playing this sense release. I unlocked the roster after a few hours of playing with some friends the day after the game came out. I am horrible at Smash and I feel that this is a great entry to the series and I am looking forward to getting better. Online is a God damn nightmare.

This was my 10 second review. 8/10 bowsettes

Chittagong

Gold Member
R.O.B.? More like G.O.A.T.

Finally managing to get some of those tougher challengers nailed with that spin attack. Awesome character

Last edited:

Codes 208

Summary:
-modest tweaks to lighting and textures.
-1080p docked, 720p handheld (native, not dynamic)
-locked 60fps throughout both docked and handhelds (some minor dips mainly during final smashes and the frame rate drops in 8-player ice climbers due to 16 characters on screen.
-noticed that some graphical effects looks softer and cel-shaded. Like a cross between the Wii U and 3ds games.

banjo5150

I am new to Smash Bros, is there a way to play Couch Co Op vs CPU? The Wife and I would like to go through the game this way. I can't seem to find a way to do this, maybe I am just stupid.

red_shift

Neo Member
I am new to Smash Bros, is there a way to play Couch Co Op vs CPU? The Wife and I would like to go through the game this way. I can't seem to find a way to do this, maybe I am just stupid.

Yes, when you get to the character select there are icons on the bottom right side to add a player. Make sure your controllers are both on and press the icon that looks like a Joy-Con with a + sign next to it.

You can team up vs CPU and you can also team up for online matches.

red_shift

Neo Member
is there anyone here w wired online? wondering how it works with an ethernet connection.

tried playing online yesterday and it was rough. i have wireless tho. a few months ago i played through Bloodborne streaming through PSNow and it was only playable through a wired connection. im wondering if that's pretty much a necessity.

for me there was constant stuttering. at one point it paused for a couple of seconds.

I bought the Hori ethernet adapter from Target because I'm a Nintendo superfan :)
It shortened the time the Switch took to connect to the online service and fixed an issue where my Switch would lose DNS connectivity via wireless.

I tried some online matches last night and it didn't help much; even if you are wired it depends on what everyone else is using to connect. My thought is that most people won't bother to get a $30 ethernet adapter but maybe when the scene calms down more 'serious' players will move toward it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I never understood why people insisted playing Smash on a GameCube controller... until today.

79e3e971-515a-4148-ba4fft.jpeg

Man, this i so good. The button shapes are super intuitive, like made for Smash. I actually play better now.

zenspider

Do we have any hardcore Smash players in the thread?

I'm having a hell of a time short hopping consistently (Gamecube controller) without the shortcut.

Best results I've gotten is 'sliding' off the Y button, but leaves my thumb off and away from other face buttons, so I put attack on a shoulder and shield on X. ...this can't be the best way to do this. Any tips or tricks?

Arkage

Banned
Having never played Smash except like 20 years ago at a friends house, I'm really enjoying this. So many characters to play around with and get a feel for, and the rumor for Erdrick has me hyped.

Though I have learned to start skipping spirits in the world of light. It gets to be way too time consuming to collect them all despite the quick nature of the fights. But overall really enjoying it.

red_shift

Neo Member
Do we have any hardcore Smash players in the thread?

I'm having a hell of a time short hopping consistently (Gamecube controller) without the shortcut.

Best results I've gotten is 'sliding' off the Y button, but leaves my thumb off and away from other face buttons, so I put attack on a shoulder and shield on X. ...this can't be the best way to do this. Any tips or tricks?

The window to between short hop and jump is so small that I've been sliding too. I am not at all consistent with just short hop so I started training on instant overheads.

With jump set as Y and normal attack set as A (Classic controller) I hold the direction of the aerial I want to do then slide my thumb from Y to A. (Back air is harder since if you hold the direction too long you turn toward the opponent.)

Then, once the attack comes out I try my best to fast fall by pressing down at the top of the jump arc. That's the best I've been able to come up with so far.

zenspider

The window to between short hop and jump is so small that I've been sliding too. I am not at all consistent with just short hop so I started training on instant overheads.

With jump set as Y and normal attack set as A (Classic controller) I hold the direction of the aerial I want to do then slide my thumb from Y to A. (Back air is harder since if you hold the direction too long you turn toward the opponent.)

Then, once the attack comes out I try my best to fast fall by pressing down at the top of the jump arc. That's the best I've been able to come up with so far.

I had my buttons mixed up - I've beed doing it with 'X' and 'Y' is now my shield. I copped the method from this video:

I'm actually getting pretty consistent doing it neutral, so I know it's muscle memory when I fail to input it going forward or backward. Still, having my thumb away from every face button means I put attack on a shoulder - but I'm actually getting used to it, amd putting shield on the face has me dodge spamming less.

Have put an inordinate amount of time into this, my first smash game. First, it was all about the Kirby downward smash. And then i got Ganondorf. Vader af. The world of light mode is a blast, its all im about. Its a hyperactive celebration of video games.

So easy to abuse DK's side and up smash once you get +melee dmg spirits... >.>

DK has allowed me to cheese some levels in the World of Light. For example, the Dr. Wily level where you face 8 (!) metal Mega Men plus Dr. Mario I kept dying. Finally I used DK and spammed his down B attack ... I basically killed everyone with it without moving. Did the same thing vs. Zero Suit Samus to defeat her (for whatever reason she never did a jump down attack from above, which would have been the correct countermeasure).

Ulysses 31

DK has allowed me to cheese some levels in the World of Light. For example, the Dr. Wily level where you face 8 (!) metal Mega Men plus Dr. Mario I kept dying. Finally I used DK and spammed his down B attack ... I basically killed everyone with it without moving. Did the same thing vs. Zero Suit Samus to defeat her (for whatever reason she never did a jump down attack from above, which would have been the correct countermeasure).
I saw AdmiralBahroo on Twitch get pretty far with DK's down B and side/up smashes and it's tempting to do the same. >.>

Also went back to that stage that completely destroyed me for nearly an hour before giving up early in the game and beat it, felt good.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Is there any list of spirits that tells you which ones are required to change stuff on the board? I.e. bombing rocks, building bridges, driving a bus (wtf)? I dont really like hoarding all these spirits but am afriad to let any go due to possibly needing them to open up something on the board.

StAidan

Oh boy, I'm pretty mediocre at Smash, but I finally managed to get my first legendary spirit, Azura, from this weekend's Fire Emblem event. That was tough, who knows when I'd have managed it without the battle being pinned for an hour at a time.

That was a really satisfying win.

red_shift

Neo Member
Oh boy, I'm pretty mediocre at Smash, but I finally managed to get my first legendary spirit, Azura, from this weekend's Fire Emblem event. That was tough, who knows when I'd have managed it without the battle being pinned for an hour at a time.

That was a really satisfying win.

Congrats! There are a few Ace and higher spirits where I die in 30 seconds. Fighting two swordfighters is rough.

Top Bottom