• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Community Thread and |OT|

El_Belmondo

Didn't see this thread before. Belmonts+Isabelle main here. Both characters are beasts, from Isabelle's ways of toying with the adversary (Gyroid and fishing rod are always a good laugh) the Belmonts' insane reach, power and anti-air play.

This is the Smash i'm enjoying the most, and that's saying something. Sometimes it makes me forget i have more games on my switch.

Also, gotta love the treatment Castlevania gets. One can only imagine what Sakurai would do with Final Fantasy if Squenix weren't so stingy.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Ok, I have to say: Light World sucks. Sakurai, you're awesome, but you have to know when the game needs to end.

El_Belmondo

Is it me or is this game fuckin' hard? This is, dare I say it? The Dark Souls of Smash.

It is. The IA is amazing and is obviously based on pro Melee players (Sheik in high levels is INSANE)

Ok, I have to say: Light World sucks. Sakurai, you're awesome, but you have to know when the game needs to end.

Nah, it's ok. It’s nothing groundbraking but it could easily be the best Smash adventure mode: Not ridiculously scarce like Melee's nor overdesigned like Brawl's. It’s a contextualized event mode, and really fun.

kunonabi

Is is it possible to change rules for smash matches without having to save it as a preset? I have to say if it wasnt for Simon and the other new characters, stages, etc. I'd probably like the Wii U entry better.

TheBoss1

Big Boss's special ability should've been "Giant AND Metal Killer", and not just Metal Killer.

Snake is tough to beat once you understand when to use his explosives. That missile guiding spam is so hard to not abuse.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I'm absolutely loving playing Simon/Richter now online. It took me a bit to get used to them, but I'm having a blast now.

So far, my favorites are:

- Samus / Dark Samus
- Simon / Richter
- Ganondorf
- Donkey Kong
- Wii Fit Trainer

I also finally completed all the challenges and 100% of World of Light on the hardest setting. I couldn't believe how strangely easy Olimar makes all the fights in that mode...by the end of the game, he is insanely strong!! (He somehow gets a crazy damage boost on seemingly any melee attack featuring his Pikmin.)

I still have yet to play this game online with any friends. Hopefully that can change soon! :)

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I have to agree. By the halfway point, I was bored to tears and just wanted the damn thing to end. The final sequence was good and all but the mode lasted about 10 hours too long (ended with 15 hours) for what it is. Its basically re-skinned event matches and while I really enjoy event matches, i'd prefer if they kept it down to 50 to 100 of them, not 400+ of them. The only reason I continued the pain of completing it was because of what you unlock at the end (which honestly wasn't really worth it but I had committed too much time to the mode when I started having second thoughts.). It's better than the nothing that we got in Smash 4 but out of Melee and Brawl's adventure it was the least enjoyable for me.

Dr.brain64

Finally the single player got me hooked and made me play again for new game+. Played on easy of course.
This game still reeks of laziness though so I hope the next game has at least better graphics (dk anyone?).

Shaqazooloo

I might have to buy a second Switch if the Project Ultimate mod is good and gets decently popular. Typically I don't like the idea of modding a system during its life but Project Ultimate might get me to change my mind...

ROMhack

I'm enjoying going through World of Light at a leisurely pace an hour every couple of days but I couldn't imagine playing for hours on end - there's not enough to it.

Last edited:

DonF

Some stages in world of light are simply shit. OP 2 v 1 situations. It sucks. I'm just skipping lots of the super hard stages and the rest is way too easy, there is no balance or challenge.

AntsaK2

Neo Member
If I unlock main Spirit that has power level 1000 (500 attack / 500 defense) is there a way to determine how good that Spirit is when it is upgraded to level 99?

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
If I unlock main Spirit that has power level 1000 (500 attack / 500 defense) is there a way to determine how good that Spirit is when it is upgraded to level 99?

It will honestly vary depending on the spirit. Usually anything 3 or especially 4 stars is pretty good, but also the more support spirit slots the better. (Also, just a big tip...Olimar strangely gets incredibly strong in World of Light. I was eventually able to crush nearly any challenge with him even on the hardest difficulty...including the last bosses.)

ultimateolimar_by_ailynn_shinsamus-dcxjjax.gif

Shouldn't this thread be in Communities or something Ailynn Ailynn or am I misunderstanding Neogafs layout?

I believe it should be there, too...but I wasn't aware of that possibility when I created this topic (as it was my first one.) I'll send the mods a request to move it over - Thank you so much! :)

AntsaK2

Neo Member
It will honestly vary depending on the spirit. Usually anything 3 or especially 4 stars is pretty good, but also the more support spirit slots the better. (Also, just a big tip...Olimar strangely gets incredibly strong in World of Light. I was eventually able to crush nearly any challenge with him even on the hardest difficulty...including the last bosses.)

Ok Thanks! How about those excavations etc. should I put support spirits on them while I am not playing? Do support spirits gain level or improve at all?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Some stages in world of light are simply shit. OP 2 v 1 situations. It sucks. I'm just skipping lots of the super hard stages and the rest is way too easy, there is no balance or challenge.
Sounds like you don’t get how the spirits work

Hi, I have a question: what maps from Super Smash U/3DS are missing from Ultimate. And better yet because it supposedly is "ultimate" what maps from previous Super Smashes?

DonF

Sounds like you don’t get how the spirits work
I agree. I equip spirits according to the situation (like anti poison, anti fog, anti screen flip) and thats it. My spirits are very high level. Besides that I just auto equip. Whet else is there no know?

TheBoss1

Matches that include PVE are rage inducing. Especially when they are modified, like super armor or boosted specials. I end up beating them anyway but I hate that CPU doesn't ever beat me fairly (1 vs. 1)

TheBoss1

I’m such a noob in this game. Struggling against enemy AI
At first I did but once I started unlocking 4 star spirits and more characters it became an easy but long grind. Only unfair matchups, like 1 vs 6 projectile spamming opponents, were super annoying.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
At first I did but once I started unlocking 4 star spirits and more characters it became an easy but long grind. Only unfair matchups, like 1 vs 6 projectile spamming opponents, were super annoying.
Believe it or not I played like most of Smash games and still suck. Maybe because I just play them when the lads gather up. The only fighting game I’m super at is my beloved KoF

I just think the game is a little too overpowered and World of Light gets a little too repetitive. Classic mode is great though with the boss fights. I just do not think that if you do not attack for a little while you can one hit kill, a lot too overpowered. World of Light needs some remixing, not the ability to get spirits that make you overpowered, ruins the challenge. Spirits are just a excuse to give you upgrades. Most of them have little thought into them. Should be about skill, not how can you make yourself overpowered.

Shouta

Reminder for all folks that your last chance to get Piranha Plant is coming up in a few days. You need to make sure you register your physical game before that day to qualify and they'll mail you it. Digital folks should get an email within 10 days of when they purchased it. If it isn't in your email, gotta contact Nintendo about it.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update Ver. 2.0.0 - Fighter Adjustments
(Patch notes on almost every character - Just click the link above!)
(May note appear correctly on mobile)

Also...
Smash_Ultimate_update_2_Piranha_Plant.jpg

Piranha Plant is available to play now!
(Piranha Plant will also become available for purchase as DLC at a later date.)

You can also now play Spirit Board with up to four players. Select the spirit you want to challenge on the Spirit Board, and then go to Party → Fighter to select the number of people who will play. When playing with multiple people, you will lose the battle if any player is KO’d.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I'll give piranha plant a shot but afterwards I'm probably gonna take a break from Ultimate and do some Melee plus other games. I have a decent sized backlog and lately I just haven't been having fun with ultimate.

ThaGuy

Hmm, most people actually got buffs. Nice.

And for the life of me buy a lan adapter. It's so much better in general for everyone

iconmaster

Banned
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update Ver. 2.0.0 - Fighter Adjustments

I'm surprised K. Rool got several nerfs -- he wasn't really turning out to be the powerhouse he'd been initially expected to be.

Inkling's bury time got reduced, as literally everyone wanted.

No changes to my Belmonts. Completely fair -- those characters are well-balanced IMO. The terrible recovery is frustrating but it's a necessary tradeoff for their stage space domination.

Piranha Plant is a fun, zany character! Tilting the flowerpot seems like it'd be too slow in an actual game. Will be interesting to see how good players make use of that.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Man, I had planned to get the Japanese version of the game so I wouldn't have to listen to Ryu and Joker's godawful English voices but the Japanese version doesn't have Bayonetta's English VA. Looks like I'm stuck with the US version after all. I really wish they had done it like SFV.

Top Bottom