• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Sakurai's Terry Bogard Presentation.

GrayFoxPL

I must say I never played Smash but Terry's design in this is awesome and his animations are godlike, other devs can watch and learn.
Sakurai seems to know Terry very well, he even recommends my favorites - Fatal Fury Special and KOF95!

As a Terry fanboy I must say I'm super impressed with this version.

au57Fyq.gif

Btw did they use the KOFXIV voice actor? Why does he sound so much better here? Almost like OG.

Edit: fixed outdated link.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Sakurai clearly loves Neo Geo and the SNK games. Being schooled on some unfamiliar game history was a joy.

I've been watching Maximilian's Terry Legacy series in preparation for this showcase, so I knew the main moves Terry was supposed to have. They included every last one.

And because Maximilian is such a fan too, his take on the event is a must-see.

Can't wait to see what the pros lab out with all Terry's options. Cancels, dodge counters, command inputs...

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I came into the thread to make a humorous, negative remark about Terry, and the niche nature of almost this entire fighter pass. but...

If you guys are that happy with this inclusion, then I’m happy for you.

I hope some future fighters hit a wider level of recognizability, and personal meaning to more gamers, but yeah, probably some dreams coming true for fans here, and that’s awesome.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I came into the thread to make a humorous, negative remark about Terry, and the niche nature of almost this entire fighter pass. but...

If you guys are that happy with this inclusion, then I’m happy for you.

I hope some future fighters hit a wider level of recognizability, and personal meaning to more gamers, but yeah, probably some dreams coming true for fans here, and that’s awesome.

Terry is plenty recognizable enough with how big he is in central/south america and China.

Belmonte

Really cool. So glad they choose Terry! As usual, a lot of passion for videogame history.

Wish they did a Marco (Metal Slug) Mii Fighter though. It would be perfect for it!

And WTF, Nintendo! Free Mai Shiranui!

kunonabi

Really cool. So glad they choose Terry! As usual, a lot of passion for videogame history.

Wish they did a Marco (Metal Slug) Mii Fighter though. It would be perfect for it!

Yeah the Mai thing is weird. She has plenty of more covered up outfits they could have picked from to avoid raising the rating.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
At first I was worried they WERE gonna do that.

No way I would have paid $25 if it meant getting a bunch of recently made indie game characters or those who don't even have their main games on the Switch. I'd rather have older characters that have some history with Nintendo. Hopefully Ryu Hayabusa will show up after #5 whoever that will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterHero

He's probably lying and keeping Mai just in case she would really sell. :p Just like Haohmaru was referenced but didn't get skipped like those other guys.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The fat guy with the ball and chain in KoF is coming to Smash?

Got to tell my niece and nephews to update the game.

(False alarm.... cameos in the background)

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Yeah the Mai thing is weird. She has plenty of more covered up outfits they could have picked from to avoid raising the rating.

Her absence is disappointing but I also respect that the team weren’t willing to water her down. Yeah, Mai has had another costume or two but we all know what she’s supposed to look like. They decided it had to be go full Mai or go home.

Btw:

The original joke had more to do with the ratings board making sure Smash remained appropriate for the good boys and girls.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I have no dog in this smash, but damn do I like Terry's design. Having Mai join the battle would be sweet too. The big 3 need to just swallow their pride and let Smash become the Olympics of gaming. PlayStation Battle Bois or whatever was pitiful.

iconmaster

Banned
Man, I think Terry is my new main. I love how easy his jab-cancel combos are.

My big problem right now is Buster Wolf. You have to do the two quarter circles in very quick succession, or you get Burning Knuckle. Power Geyser seems like it'd be the harder move but I can do it reliably with no issue, in whichever direction I want.

This is funny:

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Man, I think Terry is my new main. I love how easy his jab-cancel combos are.

My big problem right now is Buster Wolf. You have to do the two quarter circles in very quick succession, or you get Burning Knuckle. Power Geyser seems like it'd be the harder move but I can do it reliably with no issue, in whichever direction I want.

This is funny:

Hentai Amibos? I'm in.

iconmaster

Banned
This is very interesting. Terry can do what's called "charge partitioning": he can hold partial charges for a brief period and accumulate them over time until he's ready to unleash the fully-charged Rising Tackle.

This has some interesting applications. For example, you can build up and maintain a charge while dancing around in neutral, or jumping around.

Apart from partitioning, you can do things like fully-charge your tackle while executing a jab combo.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
This is very interesting. Terry can do what's called "charge partitioning": he can hold partial charges for a brief period and accumulate them over time until he's ready to unleash the fully-charged Rising Tackle.

This has some interesting applications. For example, you can build up and maintain a charge while dancing around in neutral, or jumping around.

Apart from partitioning, you can do things like fully-charge your tackle while executing a jab combo.

x8xjdpP.gif

I will find ways to make use of this.

Top Bottom