• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Platy

I really need to see pokemon origins ....

Ghirahim would suck because everyone would just use taunts instead of fight

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Found the source about Sakurai and his comment on Takamaru.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn020.html

Sakurai mentions that if there was ever another Nazo no Murasame-jou game, its protagonist, Takamaru, would probably get into Smash. This was said about eight or nine years ago and the closest thing was the GBA port of the game, so it didn’t work out.

(note: NnM is a Zelda-ish, Japan-only NES game (in fact, it runs on Zelda’s engine like how Kid Icarus runs off of Metroid’s). The series never got any kind of continuation and as I understand it, Japanese fans see it and its samurai protagonist in a similar light to Kid Icarus and Pit)

Anth0ny

PSA: This weekend is the biggest Smash Bros tournament of the year, Apex 2014. The best players from around the world will be there to compete in Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and Project M! Team Sp00ky will be streaming the event, which starts tomorrow and ends Sunday night.

It's gonna be hype. This will be the last year with Brawl in the main event, barring any delays!

452.gif

Damn the animation in those films/series has gotten amazing.

PSA: This weekend is the biggest Smash Bros tournament of the year, Apex 2014. The best players from around the world will be there to compete in Smash 64, Melee, Brawl and Project M! Team Sp00ky will be streaming the event, which starts tomorrow and ends Sunday night.

It's gonna be hype. This will be the last year with Brawl in the main event, barring any delays!

not enough :jnc or Kappas in the world for that

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68352901

i'm not going to bother with how i know this but to prove i'm legit captain falcon will be announced on the 21st,

the roster has similar layout to brawl and 10 by 5 in size giving us 49 characters.
first off: mario, you've seen all of them.
mario spin offs: the dk series does have a newcomer and its cranky kong, using his cane attack, wario and yoshi are back aswell, dixie will be an assist trophy to those upset about her not being playable
next up zelda: ganondorf is back and sadly he has his tp design, so does shiek, the zelda newcomer in this is tingle, alot of his moves have a confetti effect to it,
now for space characters, metroid and star fox: zero suit is back with her other m design and ridley is playable with a design similar to both other m and brawl, he uses his claws and tail to for most of his attack, the star fox characters are unchanged, sorry krystal fans.
sakurais ips next, kirby and kidicarus: meta knights back and toned down, he can't move when using the tornado and can't steer when when using his side b, he no longer hops backwards when finishing the attack meaning if you go off the edge you'll probably die. palutena is also a newcomer and uses her staff to attack
now for fire emblem and earthbound: ikes back and unchanged, and robins in the game as a newcomer, chrom will be an assist trophy, ness and lucas are un changed,
now pokemon: this make alot of people upset, jigglypuff is the only veteran besides pikachu, well pkmn trainers back but uses different pokemon, greninja, braixen and chespin. greninja is like a mixture of shiek and squirtal, nimble with alot of water/ninja moves, braixen will please alot of people wanting a mage character, using her stick for fire based moves, chespin uses alot a needles and spikes in his attacks and is very physically based, next is blaziken, he acts exactly how you would expect, kicking, punching and swiping at his enemy with a nice fire effect, also new despite alot of people thinking his chances had deminished is zoroark, his character is actually complete and even has a final smash, he makes the stage look like another one while changing between pulling you in and pushing you away, it last for 10 secs, besides that he is very physically based.
now for the single rep veterans, captain falcon (as mentioned above), olimar, ice climbers, r.o.b. and mr game & watch,
newcomer single reps now, villager and wft obviously, we also have little mac, isaac is also here, these characters are still in early stages of development so i don't have much information on them, and shulk is in, lips not in sadly.
now for third party characters.....plus takamaru: i think they put takamaru here because he will be the game & watch from melee in this game, uses many samurai/ninja weapons in his moveset, pac-mans in but his moveset looks like its going to be the blandest of all the newcomers, he acts similar to sonic.

if there's anything else you want to know just ask.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Falcon on 21? Isaac!? May this glorious prophets prophecy be true.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Untitled_1.png

Lucario getting the Mega Evolution makes more sense to me than Mewtwo: having played Pokémon X/Y, the game definitely drives home the fact that Lucario was the first Pokémon to Mega Evolve. Also, I’d much rather have the “classic” gen one Mewtwo with its Melee voice.

I like the idea of Lucario being a catch-all “newer Pokémon game” representative. We have the gen one protagonist in Pokémon Trainer, the mascot in Pikachu, and the most popular legendary/pseudo-villain in Mewtwo. On the other hand, Lucario was introduced in gen four, remained popular through gen five, and was the first to Mega Evolve in gen six.

Besides Mewtwo retuning sans mega evolution, the only other characters I hope you are right about are Takamaru, Palutena, and Pac-Man.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Other Rumor but no source (was linked to SmashBoards' post)

Hey guys, I actually know someone over at japan, (trust me on this one) and he's friends with someone who is working on the game. more specifically, they got a new-to-the-industry musician to do re-makes of songs. that being said, most of the stuff he knows about are music that he's hired to re-make, but at the same time he did hear (and see) a few things. apparently he has also played with Mr. Sakuri during one or two lunch breaks, so he knows a little bit about the newcomers, as well as a couple stages. here's what he knows at this point.
-There is going to be another mario stage, but right now it's in the planning stage. it's either going to be a Bowser's castle stage, or it's going to be a Bomb-omb Battlefield stage. my friend's friend attended the meeting of the stage to discuss whether to create a new BGM for the stage or rip music from Super Mario Galaxy.
-A new Yoshi stage, based off Yoshi's New Island. it will appear on the 3DS.
-Kamek is an assist trophy, he flies across the top with magic that will randomly either grow or shrink all players.
-The Stork will appear as playable, with inspiration taken from the babies in Yoshi's Island DS
-Mona was added as a playable character. rumor that she was added just so Sakuri could see how many costumes he could fit onto one character without eating up too much development time.
-There is also a new DK stage, which is frozen DK island from Donkey Kong Country Returns. a stage for DKC is also present in the 3DS version, which can be seen in the first trailer.
-Cranky Kong is an assist trophy that serves a purpose similar to Mr. Resetti.
-Dixie Kong is supposedly in alpha stages if office chat is correct, King K. Rool is supposedly also planned, and work will begin on him shortly.
-Pokemon has a new stage, Lumoise city. My friend was asked to compose any pokemon music he would like, so he's making "The Sea of Time" from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time fit the setting.
-All Pokemon veterans return. Pichu is in the background of the stage as a cameo.
-Kirby's Epic Yarn stage exists, it's combined with the Yarn Yoshi stage. it's a 50/50 chance whether the background elements resemble the yarn/fabric segments of Yarn Yoshi or Kirby's Epic Yarn.
-no info on any new kirby character, except Meta Knight has been balanced more properly
-Pyrosphere apparently has an amazing remix of Ridley's theme.
-Ridley was managed to be resized. apparently when someone came to sakuri with ridley's first model, which was based off other M, he flipped out and demanded a model based off Super Metroid's Ridley. according to my friend it was the talk of the office for a while.
-Sector Z from the first smash comes back in HD. the cast of star fox should stay the same.
-Saturn Valley is a new Mother stage.
-the Punch-Out!! stage is indeed a Punch-out stage, currently labled "Smash Circuit". It has mostly Punch-Out songs, with one Kirby track to accommodate the many wrestling rings in the Kirby games, the track is a remix of "Masked Dedede".
-Little Mac is a newcomer, and is mostly complete for the most part.
-Kid Icarus has a new character, Palutena, who was supposedly one of the first newcomers "finished".
also, he's just a music guy, so he doesn't know any of the announcment dates, sorry.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
-The Stork will appear as playable, with inspiration taken from the babies in Yoshi's Island DS

yep

I... would very much like that rumor to be true. That is a beautifully crafted rumor.

Only because I like Palutena so much :( and Mewtwo returning, and Ridley (Non-Other M Version) and just so much good stuff.

Here's hoping :)

/dreams

edit: besides all the fanservice rumors, what stood out to me was the music choices. There was some odd choices, wouldn't a Lumiose City stage have Lumiose City music by default? Or is he just saying one of the tracks for the stage?

J@hranimo

Banned
-the Punch-Out!! stage is indeed a Punch-out stage, currently labled "Smash Circuit". It has mostly Punch-Out songs, with one Kirby track to accommodate the many wrestling rings in the Kirby games, the track is a remix of "Masked Dedede".

Even though it's fake, that would be awesome. If it isn't done then I'll be severely disappointed.

Richie

Not gonna lie, I fully expect Dixie to join, what with her TF comeback and Sakurai's comment about more females joining the fray ...
...But at this point, I'd fucking kill for Cranky Kong.

Jagsrock

Banned
haha favorite part of that last one.

-Ridley was managed to be resized. apparently when someone came to sakuri with ridley's first model, which was based off other M, he flipped out and demanded a model based off Super Metroid's Ridley. according to my friend it was the talk of the office for a while.

I've never been a competitive tourney player, so I'm not sure about all the 'secret moves' like wavedashing and whatnot. Even then, Brawl felt really off. It's not just competitive players that have a problem with it. It's really floaty and slow.

I'm glad that it looks like it is a lot faster from videos.

Other Rumor but no source (was linked to SmashBoards' post)

Pretty ridiculous sounding for the most, but I love the part about Ridley. I would hope Sakurai would have more sense than to use the Other M model.

Also, I am in favor of the Stork. That would be really funny, but cool.

Last year with Smash 64 at all..
or so they say ;]

I wish you and your partner the best of luck.

Thanks!

Richie

Oh, and that latest rumor's a thing of beauty, definitely has more heart than 90% of the other rumors out there. I wouldn't mind if it became true; Stork as a way to introduce the Yoshi Island's babies would be a pretty neat way to introduce a Yoshi newcomer, and I used to root hard for Mona's inclusion back in the day (and theorized they'd work her vast wardrobe in her moveset somehow, hah!).
Not thinking it's real, but for once, it'd be -nice- if it was.

Also, I am in favor of the Stork. That would be really funny, but cool.

The Stork would be more of a critical meltdown character than Wii Fit Trainer, ROB, G&W and every clone ever made combined.

I don't HATE it, it just might be the attempt of making Ridley practically bipedal that was odd. His arms look too big and long, with his head looking too proportionate to his body.

I think Brawl's was almost perfect to what Ridley should be.

Oh, I know that there are design differences. But aside from getting bulkier and having longer arms, as well as a slight change to the snout, the design is still mostly the same.
I agree that Brawl Ridley looks better, but I wouldn't call the Other M design shit, either.

At this rate, I'd be happy with ANY Ridley

Drago

haha favorite part of that last one.

Yet he's perfectly OK with Other M Samus!

J-Tier

Hi guys, (sorry bad inglish I from Japen) my onee-san (couldn't possibly be this cute) is Samurai. He told mii that there will be:

- A new Poketto Monsta stage basil on Route 116 from Gold and Silver. I don't remember what route that one is, but I hope is tsundere.
- A old stage from Smash 64 and or Melee and or Brawl. I don't remember which one, but it was pretty sugoi. People will be happy about it.
- Mewtwo will come back in a playable chara. He will henshin into X and Y baby! He will be Lucario clone.
- Waruigi will be new challenger. Samurai say that he will be S-tier. He will be heavy, but fast, and his taunt will make you and your friends dogeza.

Thats all I know for now, but truss me. Is all truth.

Everyone was doing character rosters, so I decided to try my hand at a stage roster (Wii U version). It's rough and not terribly pretty to look at, but it is what it is:

kBf5ZNs.png

No names, as is customary, and you're supposed to guess, I guess.

The images are more intended to show what I think they should be based on, not what the stages themselves would actually look like.

Though I will give you the answer to one of them, because it's just not possible to guess--dark green one with the tree on the bottom left of the main group is supposed to be a Fire Emblem countryside type thing, kind of a field battle version of Castle Siege. Not easy to get a picture that communicates this idea.

Maybe I'll do a 3DS one later.

Top Bottom