• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

LDAF

not terribly happy about 3DS and Wii U sharing the same cast, but at least they are considering DLC

and can we call this game just SSB4 now?

I'm glad they're considering DLC too. The DLC would just go to the system memory/SD card on the Wii U or 3DS, so they wouldn't have to worry about filesize restrictions; I think that's the problem here, not necessarily the 3DS being unable to handle certain characters (although that's a possibility).

Not

Banned
Skyloft ?

Really ?

A stage from the previous zelda ?

If you said "no tripping" I would have been more believable =P

There's no tripping in Project M, either

EDIT: and the thing about the new Skyloft stage is it's practically identical to the one in Project M, released a good year and a half ago. I laughed when I saw it in the trailer

Ryce

Here's something I'm thinking about: If HAL Laboratory is being listed next to Nintendo in the copyright, where's Namco Bandai? Are they still aiding in the development of the games? If not, when did HAL take over the reins? And why have none of the press asked Sakurai about this?
It's not an internally developed Namco Bandai game -- it's just that a lot of their staff are being contracted to work on this. Brawl was the same way with Game Arts.

JB2448

Namco doesn't own the copyrights unless a third party character they own is involved, at which point they'd simply be licensing it to Nintendo. They're a third-party contractor.

All the more reason that there would be a "co-developed by Namco Bandai Games" credit in there somewhere, no?

*sigh* was worried about something like that, i know some people will dislike this but i really wish it was WiiU only rather than being held back by the 3DS version.

I still want a 3DS version because I feel like Sakurai will tailor the 3DS version towards a more single-player experience, which will be neat. Also I can play the Wii U version with my friends, but take the handheld version and play it online. Can hardly imagine the possible customizations they can do to make StreetPass interesting as well.

ugoo18

It seems way too early for people to be freaking out this much just based on one vague comment. The 3DS isn't so weak of a console that it can't handle a fighting game. The system is probably more powerful than the Gamecube was in many ways, after all. I would wait until we have more info before jumping to conclusions that characters are being cut. The comment could just as easily mean that they can't do some of the crazy stuff they were hoping to do that wasn't in a previous Super Smash Bros. game.

That's still a bad thing though.

The 3DS isn't in need of a big seller, it's pretty much set for the near future at least. So i really don't see why a 3DS version of the game is needed especially if it holds back the main console version. Also considering the big draw of SSB has been it's 4 player local multiplayer the 3DS version seems even more pointless.

EDIT: I may be jumping to conclusions but an all out console version with nothing to hold it back sounds a lot better than a restricted version in order to accomodate the 3DS.

Mista Koo

Namco doesn't own the copyrights unless a third party character they own is involved, at which point they'd simply be licensing it to Nintendo. They're a third-party contractor.
I think he's talking about the first line of this:
© 2013 Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / CAPCOM CO., LTD.

Not

Banned
That's still a bad thing though.

The 3DS isn't in need of a big seller, it's pretty much set for the near future at least. So i really don't see why a 3DS version of the game is needed especially if it holds back the main console version. Also considering the big draw of SSB has been it's 4 player local multiplayer the 3DS version seems even more pointless.

Ditto, kinda. The 3DS version was announced when the handheld was struggling, in summer 2011. Probably one of the reasons for the "pre-development" reveal.

RM8

Honestly my 3DS hype is pretty HUGE and there's no way I'll skip that version. But I fear it will make the WiiU version less impactful just by virtue of existing - not really because of hardware issues. I can see plenty of people not buying a WiiU because Smash Bros. is also on 3DS, with the exact same roster. This is why I think NSMBU wasn't such a huge hit, because NSMB2 was still quite fresh and on a much more popular system.

Aghiliz

Neo Member
My personal prediction was ~47 characters total,
I only cut three vets for my roster prediction (Lucario, Wolf, Snake) and added Mewtwo, but I could easily see Sakurai cutting Lucas, Falco, Toon Link, and Ike as well

About cutting chars I feel Toon/Young Link char is highly possible to be kept though since Windwaker HD and Link between worlds and stuff.

Marth for girl Marth? Ike might be traded for Chrom unless FE has 3 chars now (would be cool)

Idk about Snake but I don't think it's good

Wolf/Falco one (probably wolf) or both (I doubt it) might be cut

idk I may be bias but I feel A Toon/Young Link char seems to have a more likely chance to stay than the rest ( besides maybe Lucas?)

What's the chances they'll cancel such a big Nintendo game after showing in-game footage and the game's date of next year? Live with it guys, I'll be playing Smash in stereoscopic next year.

ugoo18

What's the chances they'll cancel such a big Nintendo game after showing in-game footage and the game's date of next year? Live with it guys, I'll be playing Smash in stereoscopic next year.

It has happened before for Project Hammer and Cosmic Walker if i remember correctly.

Spinluck

An that would suck :(

They should at least keep it at Brawl levels. I'll resent the 3ds version if they reduce the number.

The Wii U version shouldn't have to yield to the 3DS one at all. Everyone here knows console Smash is best Smash, and local mp play is where Smash shines. I have nothing against handheld Smash, but it shouldn't be holding back the Wii U version at all. -___-

DaBoss

Guys, I don't think Sakurai mentioned Ice Climbers in the interview. I think Rich added it as an example. Kotaku doesn't have it in their article and I imagine they were all there. Hopefully Jason Schreier can post here and clear it up.

Pompadour

I always assumed that there were versions of Smash Bros. being made so they could use a super sized budget to create a massive game with tons of characters. Sure, character models and stages have to be different for each version but things like the engine, animations, and balancing could be used for both games.

Doesn't sound like this is the actual case, though.

Nothing yet, but I'm glad I'm not the only one eager for this! :D
Alternate costumes are a whole territory of references in Smash.

They need to go all out with this. Actual clones could be alt. costumes and help stretch out the roster a bit with aesthetic changes to attacks (e.g. Dr. Mario's fireballs look like pills).

Less than 50 characters will mean less than 10-12 newcomers. Unacceptable

Kouichi

http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771

Masahiro Sakurai said:
"I would consider the changes that we're making this time around not as fixes, but that we're changing the direction," he said through a translator. "And so the vision for the overall balance of the game in Smash Bros Melee, it was sort of more focused towards more hardcore players. Then when it came around to making Brawl, this was a game that was targeting a Wii audience where there were a lot of beginner players, so it sort of leaned a little bit more in that direction.

"So now, for this time around, we're sort of aiming for something that is in between those as far as the speed of the game. Because I don't really think this time we're in a situation where we're trying to accommodate that many new players."

That is assuming there won't be cuts in the roster, which is simply incredibly unlikely. I'm afraid that characters like Falco, Ike and Lucario will be looking at us from the audience in SSB4.

Falco?

This is nuts, you're nuts. He's been in two Smash Bros and is one of the most played characters in the game.

If anyone from Star Fox is cut, it'll be Wolf, but even he's unique enough to stay.

I'm pretty confident Snake is out. So that's one cut I'm willing to concede, but I really don't see him cutting anyone. It's one thing to cut no-name Roy, "why did this happen" Dr. Mario and Pichu nobody uses, but you don't cut long time, unique, popular characters.

There's a reason people feel like Mewtwo was absent from Brawl but don't care about Pichu or Dr Mario.

I think that's the big problem is that Brawl's roster was strong and only had one character I felt wasn't unique enough (Toon Link).

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Cancelling the Nintendo 3DS version would be absolutely senseless. If it was honestly holding it back, then they could simply change the direction of the game and make the two versions segregated and less intertwined. A portable Smash Bros. in 3D is way too awesome.

RM8

Also, the cast will be the same, but there's nothing stopping them from making characters different between versions. In this case, Ice Climbers could be simply Popo (or Nana) with an adjusted moveset for solo play. The fact that the stages aren't the same clearly indicates these games aren't the same game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm honestly not too worried, it's still pretty early in both game's development, I think people are jumping a bit too far ahead of themselves based off early interviews that may not even properly show the whole picture.

DaBoss

Guys, I don't think Sakurai mentioned Ice Climbers in the interview. I think Rich added it as an example. Kotaku doesn't have it in their article and I imagine they were all there. Hopefully Jason Schreier can post here and clear it up. Or ask Rich on twitter.

Quoting this for the new page.

Super Smash Bros. Goldilocks? Why does it say that at the bottom?

Are you sure?

It would make sense. The 3DS screen is small and Pikmin are small, so it would make sense that Pikmin would appear very small on the screen and it would be due to the limitation of the 3DS. I think they won't make a stage that is very large for the 3DS to accommodate for that.

ash_ag

SSB on the go > any negatives from same roster

l0vMitk.gif

Cancelling the Nintendo 3DS version would be absolutely senseless. If it was honestly holding it back, then they could simply change the direction of the game and make the two versions segregated and less intertwined. A portable Smash Bros. in 3D is way too awesome.

Way more likely to happen. They'll adapt, not simply destroy.

Berordn

I always assumed that there were versions of Smash Bros. being made so they could use a super sized budget to create a massive game with tons of characters. Sure, character models and stages have to be different for each version but things like the engine, animations, and balancing could be used for both games.

Doesn't sound like this is the actual case, though.

It actually does sound a lot like this is the case. Different assets, but otherwise the two games have parity in terms of balance and mechanics. Things like "limitations of the 3DS" could mean things like screen size. Having to distinguish between the two Ice Climbers on a busy stage could be pretty frustrating.

Also the 3DS version is unsightly.

I vastly prefer the style of the 3DS version to the Wii U one. The colors, duke!

(Both versions look great though)

J@hranimo

Banned
Also, the cast will be the same, but there's nothing stopping them from making characters different between versions. In this case, Ice Climbers could be simply Popo (or Nana) with an adjusted moveset for solo play. The fact that the stages aren't the same clearly indicates these games aren't the same game.

Did Sakurai specifically say the roster limit wouldn't be pared down because of the 3DS version? I'd prefer that characters/character abilities be limited as long as a large roster is kept.

I'm honestly not too worried, it's still pretty early in both game's development, I think people are jumping a bit too far ahead of themselves based off early interviews that may not even properly show the whole picture.

This is all there is to discuss, aside from pure conjecture.

Top Bottom