• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

GAMERG0D

The online better have voice chat with parental controls for those with children. Going to be really funny to hear reactions when someone beats someone.

Kouichi

Just made this little contribution to the Smash Miiverse community.

zlCfzRA9T7IlUl8Vid

Haha, nice job.

jschreier

I'll have a bigger story from my long chat with Sakurai, probably next week. Really nice guy. Seems like he's still in a lot of pain though - I asked about his shoulder and he said he still can't use a regular mouse. :(

ugoo18

Ah yes, two of Nintendo's biggest titles got cancelled with those.

???

Kirby Adventure for the GCN
Starfox 2 for the SNES as well

Starfox at least was a fairly big series when that happened as well.

Granted this is Wikipedia but according to an interview with Miyamoto in Nintendo Power

"30% of Star Fox 64 came from Star Fox 2"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_2#cite_note-12

Nintendo at least based on past scenarios will not shy away from scrapping a game.

Kouichi

I'll have a bigger story from my long chat with Sakurai, probably next week. Really nice guy. Seems like he's still in a lot of pain though - I asked about his shoulder and he said he still can't use a regular mouse. :(

Damn, that's unfortunate :(

Thanks for the news updates though, Jason. Looking forward to the full interview.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
???

Kirby Adventure for the GCN
Starfox 2 for the SNES as well

Starfox at least was a fairly big series when that happened as well.

Granted this is Wikipedia but according to an interview with Miyamoto in Nintendo Power

"30% of Star Fox 64 came from Star Fox 2"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_2#cite_note-12

Nintendo at least based on past scenarios will not shy away from scrapping a game.

Kirby eventually came out on Wii and Star Fox 2 was combined with 1 and turned into 64. I don't think they ever fully scrap a game, if anything it gets transformed or absorbed.

And yet he still fucking schooled that guy playing as Mario. Respect to the king.

It was confirmed to be 1080p/60fps.

I'd want to see an official statement on the subject. It's clearly reported on Nintendo's site for ZeldaWW, while only suggestion for Smash Bros. comes from a line in an eurogamer article which every site on the web quotes. It's quite suspicious Nintendo didn't emphasize this if it was the case.

ugoo18

Kirby eventually came out on Wii and Star Fox 2 was combined with 1 and turned into 64. I don't think they ever fully scrap a game, if anything it gets transformed or absorbed.

Ideas from them were incorporated into other versions yes.

Same deal happened with Mario 128. If the 3DS version was scrapped the ideas from it could end up popping up in other games.

Man, I admire his work ethic a great deal. Really hope his health improves.

Honestly my 3DS hype is pretty HUGE and there's no way I'll skip that version. But I fear it will make the WiiU version less impactful just by virtue of existing - not really because of hardware issues. I can see plenty of people not buying a WiiU because Smash Bros. is also on 3DS, with the exact same roster. This is why I think NSMBU wasn't such a huge hit, because NSMB2 was still quite fresh and on a much more popular system.

That's how I've felt about the Wii U/3DS dynamic so far.

It has all the Nintendo franchises I want, and the Wii U hasn't provided me with anything yet that has me eager to buy it yet.

NSMB 2/NSMBU (I actually like the coin collection theme in 2 better than the Wii U version)
Donkey Kong 3D/Donkey Kong Returns 2 (didn't play the original on the Wii, so it's new to me!)
Smash Bros 3DS/Smash Bros Wii U (I'm hoping for richer single player content in the 3DS version just by nature of it being portable, like Mario Kart DS had with its mission mode. Can't believe the 3DS version took that out! >.<)
Mario Kart 7/Mario Kart 8 (I'm kinda over Mario Kart at this point so it's not a huge deal either way)
3D Land/3D World (I liked 3D Land for what it was, but I don't want a 3D console Mario to be like that at all)

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and X are about the only games I'm excited about for the Wii U that don't have comparable 3DS versions.

I really think they should have more strongly emphasized the differences between the Wii U and 3DS Smash Bros. in the conference. The graphic styles are the obvious difference, but I mean stuff like different modes or system specific features (streetpass, gamepad, etc.).
THAT is what I care about knowing about the new Smash Bros.

TrueBlue

Hopefully the added manpower of the Namco staff can enable him to rest a bit more.

WatTsu

They want maximum roster with all of the characters ever.

I can see where they're coming from but making the versions different would make more sense than cancelling one.

The roster's going to top out at some point anyway because you have to have some sort of balance, so I guess I don't see the problem. I'd rather have a smaller roster with less filler and more good characters anyway.

Plus I want both versions of this game.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If Snake returned would they use the same voice clips from Brawl? Can't really see Hayter recording new stuff nor the old Solid Snake design with Kiefer Sutherland's voice.

Maybe they will use Big Boss instead.

jschreier

Guys, I don't think Sakurai mentioned Ice Climbers in the interview. I think Rich added it as an example. Kotaku doesn't have it in their article and I imagine they were all there. Hopefully Jason Schreier can post here and clear it up.
My interview was one on one. No mention of Ice Climbers. I didn't ask if any specific characters are returning - I imagine they're gonna dripfeed that on the dojo website.

Spinluck

Dammit. Delay the game Sakurai-san, we can wait! I really hope he gets well soon, still the game just looks so damn great. I'm believing it'll be the best Smash.

Thanks for keeping us updated though!

Gartooth

I wonder if the 3DS version would even exist had Iwata not announced the game before Sakurai even had a chance to start development.

Third Parties
I'm really sorry...If I were to answer that question, I'd get in a lot of trouble in a lot of different ways, so I can't answer. But I think I can say generally that there won't be a trend of adding a lot of third-party characters. You can sort of think of Mega Man as being the special case.

The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS. So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree. but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible
This really sucks..
Source

DaBoss

I'd want to see an official statement on the subject. It's clearly reported on Nintendo's site for ZeldaWW, while only suggestion for Smash Bros. comes from a line in an eurogamer article which every site on the web quotes. It's quite suspicious Nintendo didn't emphasize this if it was the case.

It was confirmed at the software showcase thing when they revealed Wii Fit Trainer.

My interview was one on one. No mention of Ice Climbers. I didn't ask if any specific characters are returning - I imagine they're gonna dripfeed that on the dojo website.

Ahh OK, I thought it wasn't a one-on-one interview due to the times you guys posted your articles, but now I realize that could have been due to there being a set time for posting articles (I forgot the word that is the same definition lol).

Thanks for clearing that up.

Jawmuncher

If Snake returned would they use the same voice clips from Brawl? Can't really see Hayter recording new stuff nor the old Solid Snake design with Kiefer Sutherland's voice.

If he somehow manages to come back that might be the case depending on the contract. But with the current story saying third party won't be very much (maybe even just Megaman unless he's trying to throw us off the scent). I think he might be out. But ill believe until the end but I'm bracing for the sadness now.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Seemed to be playing fine though ;-)
994167_502400036494541_1667197284_n.jpg

Look forward to it Mr Schreier. (Can I also say Kotaku has done a great job covering E3? Because they have :p)

Kurtofan

Guys, he even said both versions might not be released at the same time because some characters are hard to make on 3DS (meaning the 3DS version will be released after the Wii U version)

That doesn't necessarily mean they're cutting characters on Wii U, just that some characters might not play the same on 3DS

wrowa

The quote says that he had to "reduce some characters", which sounds less like there will be less characters, but more that they've limits in term of character complexity.

Xane

Why is Mega Man's icon thing a gear?
Was puzzled by that as well. Either there's another character or trophy or whatev' from the franchise coming so they wanted something more neutral/generic representing the franchise (the same reason why the Mario Bros. series has no Mario hat as icon).

Scrap that, I have no idea.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The way it was worded it sounded like they could have a larger selection of characters in the Wii U version if they weren't going to have the 3DS version which matches all of the characters.

Was puzzled by that as well. Either there's another character or trophy or whatev' from the franchise coming so they wanted something more neutral/generic representing the franchise (the same reason why the Mario Bros. series has no Mario hat as icon).

They should change it to the Metal Blade because that's the only move you're supposed to use in MM2 anyways.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member

Unless they don't do it, they'll have to record new codec dialogue anyways...

FSLink

Banned
Not if the cancel it.
Then people will buy a Wii U for it, it happened with the Wii and the Gamecube, would happen here.

Right?

Isn't it just a Metal Blade? I think they wanted a weapon to be the icon though I would have expected Megaman's head to be the icon.

Fey

Banned
Yesssss, so happy to hear a confirmation about no tripping and that the game is faster than Brawl. My biggest fears erased.

So the 3DS version is holding the Wii U one back? :/ This is why I was hoping the two would be different and separate from each other. :C

one_kill

I hope Snake isn't in this game. MGSV isn't even coming out on the Wii U. I know they released Snake Eater 3D, but that's not good enough at least for me.

Negator

Wow, I take a nap and all this news everywhere!

Mostly positive news. I doubt the 3DS version will have as huge an impact on the Wii U version as some people are thinking.

Top Bottom