• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

Drago

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Little Mac, Mii, and Pac Man at TGS or whatever Nintendo does around then. That rumor must turn out to be true!

zroid

Banned
I know Snake's fate in this game is dubious, but I hope he returns (along with Sonic). Then if the Pac-Man rumour is legit, we'll have one rep from each of the "big four" Japanese third parties. That would be pretty neat.

Fuck you, Square Enix

-Horizon-

I know Snake's fate in this game is dubious, but I hope he returns (along with Sonic). Then if the Pac-Man rumour is legit, we'll have one rep from each of the "big four" Japanese third parties. That would be pretty neat.

Fuck you, Square Enix

Snake...who?

lolEnix, but maybe like others have said, Dragon Quest will be represented somehow

Drago

3 third party characters is enough for me. 4 seems like pushing it a bit, even if Snake came first.

I only expect Pac Man because he's basically the face of Namco and that so-far-legit rumor had him as a character. I still need to play Klonoa before I can complain about it not being him instead :p

Vidiot

I just want to know if Sonic is going to be back or not. I'm confident enough that the big Nintendo characters I care about will return and that we'll get a decent amount of the higher requested newcomers. I'm just gonna be really bummed if Sonic gets cut.

Drago

I just want to know if Sonic is going to be back or not. I'm confident enough that the big Nintendo characters I care about will return and that we'll get a decent amount of the higher requested newcomers. I'm just gonna be really bummed if Sonic gets cut.

I have no doubts that Sonic will return.

Snake, on the other hand...

GamerSoul

Cloud for square enix rep ;)

FFVII started on N64 so he can be in the new smash :p

I'd rather Lightning. :3

Nah, just kidding I don't really care who she is. KH: Chain of Memories was the best argument imo for Cloud but that didn't happen. I remember wanting a FFCC character at one point though (Selkies fo life). Smash let's your imagination run wild, too wild at times. lol

qq more

cloud would be so out of place

like... cloud partly represents the downfall of 3rd party support if you think about it

if they were to ever add a FF character, it should be someone that Nintendo fans are more familiar with

i mean yeah i know everyone knows cloud's existance by now... but there's a difference!

-Horizon-

Well, we got a Viva Piñata DS game so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
Wait what? How? Doesn't that go against the idea of first party studios?
Or was this a different time where anything goes for Microsoft to get a foothold in the game industry?

zroid

Banned
So you're pulling for Mrs. Pac-Man?

Edit: I guess it's Ms. Pac-Man even though they're married?

My Pac-Man lore is a bit rusty, but wasn't the "story" of Ms. Pac-Man about how they met?

Wait what? How? Doesn't that go against the idea of first party studios?

For a long time, MS didn't consider handhelds to be in competition with their consoles. I think there's even an Age of Empires game on DS.

DaBoss

Fuck you, Square Enix

Big Four Japanese studios without Square Enix? Kojim- errr Konami is a big Japanese third-party still? Konami has long been downgraded.

Drago

Yeah Rare, even though they were owned by Microsoft, were still able to develop on Nintendo handhelds. They made a bunch of GBA games and a few DS ones. I'm pretty sure they could make a 3DS game if they wanted to, but the Rare of today is not the same as Rare from 2008 and before... there's no point for them to even bother.

Sponge

Banned
Yeah Rare, even though they were owned by Microsoft, were still able to develop on Nintendo handhelds. They made a bunch of GBA games and a few DS ones. I'm pretty sure they could make a 3DS game if they wanted to, but the Rare of today is not the same as Rare from 2008 and before... there's no point for them to even bother.

Their handheld team was shutdown once they were restructured into a Kinect studio. So no, it's almost impossible right now.

Drago

Their handheld team was shutdown once they were restructured into a Kinect studio. So no, it's almost impossible right now.

Oh, I didn't know that.

If they really wanted to though do they still have the ability to make a 3DS game, even without a dedicated handheld team? Not that it will ever happen but is the option still there?

Sponge

Banned
Oh, I didn't know that.

If they really wanted to though do they still have the ability to make a 3DS game, even without a dedicated handheld team? Not that it will ever happen but is the option still there?

If Microsoft allows it and their direction changes then yes, there is a possibility.

Drago

If Microsoft allows it and their direction changes then yes, there is a possibility.

Well, I guess that's something.

Not that I can really expect a quality traditional game from Rare these days. Pah.

On the topic of Rare, I've always wondered; if by some chance Banjo-Kazooie got into Melee as playable characters (it would've been possible no? there were Rareware items after all) then what happens in 2002 when Rareware is sold off? Would they have gotten removed or do they stay? Probably a dumb question but one I've always had in the back of my head.

Well, I guess that's something.

Not that I can really expect a quality traditional game from Rare these days. Pah.

On the topic of Rare, I've always wondered; if by some chance Banjo-Kazooie got into Melee as playable characters (it would've been possible no? there were Rareware items after all) then what happens in 2002 when Rareware is sold off? Would they have gotten removed or do they stay? Probably a dumb question but one I've always had in the back of my head.

I can't imagine that they would have stayed had that happened. On the other hand, though, Banjo and Kazooie making their way into Smash Bros. may have been a sign of a Nintendo that held Rare more dearly and wouldn't have sold them, so...

Sponge

Banned

Banjo more than likely would have been cut entirely. So in a sad sort of way, it's good we never got Banjo in Melee. I'm sure Sakurai would have moved some of his moveset to another character to make up for it.
It's such a shame because before 2002 there wasn't a character I wanted more in Smash than Banjo-Kazooie.

I remember Loveday said Rare made a ton of trophies for Melee but barely any were used. I always wondered why we got a Dixie and K. Rool trophy but no Diddy Kong.

Had Nintendo considered Banjo-Kazooie important enough to Nintendo to include in Super Smash Bros. Melee then I think they would have held onto the series when they sold Rare.

Sponge

Banned
Had Nintendo considered Banjo-Kazooie important enough to Nintendo to include in Super Smash Bros. Melee then I think they would have held onto the series when they sold Rare.

Could Nintendo have held on to Banjo? Hell, I'm not entirely sure. The Stamper Brothers had the bigger share of Rare and they sold that to Microsoft, thus Nintendo sold their share. The only reason they held on to Donkey Kong was because they owned the series.

In a similar way, they also were able to hold on to Star Fox Adventures and Goldeneye 007 for the same reasons. (Nintendo were the ones who had the rights to make a Goldeneye game at the time, they just chose Rare to do it.)

LaNaranja

Hey dudes why was Lucario in Brawl? I stopped paying attention to Pokemon after Fire Red on Gameboy Advance so I assumed that he was the newest badass legendary like Mewtwo but I recently found out he is just a regular ass Pokemon. So why him?

Sponge

Banned
Hey dudes why was Lucario in Brawl? I stopped paying attention to Pokemon after Fire Red on Gameboy Advance so I assumed that he was the newest badass legendary like Mewtwo but I recently found out he is just a regular ass Pokemon. So why him?

Diamond and Pearl was out at the time and Lucario was heavily marketed and popular. Game Freak probably pushed Sakurai to use him.

Drago

Banjo more than likely would have been cut entirely. So in a sad sort of way, it's good we never got Banjo in Melee. I'm sure Sakurai would have moved some of his moveset to another character to make up for it.

Makes you wonder who the hell the replacement would have been to have gotten his moveset. The moveset would've probably been extremely unique to that collaborative set up with Banjo and Kazooie. Thinking of the kind of moves they had in Kazooie and Tooie that can easily translate to Smash Bros...

Man, they would've been so perfect :(

He is extremely popular, even today.

Could Nintendo have held on to Banjo? Hell, I'm not entirely sure. The Stamper Brothers had the bigger share of Rare and they sold that to Microsoft, thus Nintendo sold their share. The only reason they held on to Donkey Kong was because they owned the series.

In a similar way, they also were able to hold on to Star Fox Adventures and Goldeneye 007 for the same reasons. (Nintendo were the ones who had the rights to make a Goldeneye game at the time, they just chose Rare to do it.)
I could have swore I read that Banjo and Perfect Dark were originally actually owned by Nintendo but they sold them off when they sold Rare, but I'm probably remembering incorrectly, because, now that I think on it, that sounds kind of silly.

He's basically the mascot of the fourth generation. He's not legendary but he's not really a "regular ass Pokemon" either. Getting him in Diamond & Pearl is kind of an event, and he even had a movie made about him. Probably one of the most (if not the) popular Pokemon not from the first generation.

SmithnCo

Heavily promoted, had a movie. Probably helps that he is humanoid with some Mewtwo-esque abilities to ease the pain.

LaNaranja

Diamond and Pearl was out at the time and Lucario was heavily marketed and popular. Game Freak probably pushed Sakurai to use him.

He is extremely popular, even today.

He's basically the mascot of the fourth generation. He's not legendary but he's not really a "regular ass Pokemon" either. Getting him in Diamond & Pearl is kind of an event, and he even had a movie made about him. Probably one of the most (if not the) popular Pokemon not from the first generation.

Heavily promoted, had a movie. Probably helps that he is humanoid with some Mewtwo-esque abilities to ease the pain.

Ah I see. So are we likely to see him return or get replace by another newer Pokemon?

Sponge

Banned
Makes you wonder who the hell the replacement would have been to have gotten his moveset. The moveset would've probably been extremely unique to that collaborative set up with Banjo and Kazooie. Thinking of the kind of moves they had in Kazooie and Tooie that can easily translate to Smash Bros...

Man, they would've been so perfect :(

I agree, it's such a waste that Banjo is stuck at Microsoft. It's the only classic Rare IP I still mourn over. I don't really have much feelings the other IPs Rare created, but Banjo felt like he belonged with Nintendo. Nintendo probably felt the same way back then, too. You could even use some of his renders in Mario Paint 64.
QIXGNO4.jpg

Gorillaz

Idk why I didn't see it before but....they said no DLC right? Not even a few extra stages or characters?

Are they committed to supporting it post launch at all? Or is this going to be the brawl deal where the game is shipped as it is and thats all?

SmithnCo

Before we learned that Lucario also had a mega form I would've said Mewtwo had a pretty good shot. Now I don't know. They could add both but I kinda doubt it.

Sponge

Banned
This, dudes popular and just got super saiyan mode.

If I were 10 i would be going ape shit.

It's funny how Lucario was who I'd say was first on the chopping block, then his Mega form was announced.

I'm positive he'll be back because of that.

Top Bottom