• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 2: Where Pilotwings is apparently Minecraft

DeVeAn

Played a buncha of Brawl with my little bro (now in high school) and man fun times. I really hope they don't waste what they did with Sonic and bring him back.

sakurai quote on ridley could be a couple of things

1) stage hazard

2) he just refering to what happened in the game

3) playing on the stage is the way you unlock ridley

qq more

sakurai quote on ridley could be a couple of things

1) stage hazard

2) he just refering to what happened in the game

3) playing on the stage is the way you unlock ridley

But the holes either show up or don't in the screenshots...

Then again... I'll just wait and see. I really really doubt Ridley will be playable but eh... there was that Ness situation.

What's wrong with Other M's design?

It's ugly, terrible, and misses the point of Ridley entirely.

It's basically the reason I don't really want Ridley to be playable in SSB4 anymore. I'd rather just wait until SSB5 so we can (hopefully) have a new Metroid and a better Ridley design under our belt for his playable debut.

SuperSah

Banned
super-smash-bros-for-3ds-mega-man-samus.jpg

I didn't notice we can charge the attacks up. Is this possible in earlier Smash games? I haven't played since my Wii broke. :/

Dragoshi1

I think Ridley could be playable.

Remember the CHALLENGER APPROACHING thing from Melee and Brawl?

What if its more dynamic?

For example, play on Ridley's stage a bunch of times, then after the match is over, the screen gets darker and the CHALLENGER APPROACHING flashes onscreen, followed by cutscene of Ridley bursting out of the background and landing on the stage.

Also to get an idea,remember how we got Toon Link, Wolf, and Jiggs in Subspace? Their opening cutscene? Something like that would work too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It's ugly, terrible, and misses the point of Ridley entirely.

It's basically the reason I don't really want Ridley to be playable in SSB4 anymore. I'd rather just wait until SSB5 so we can (hopefully) have a new Metroid and a better Ridley design under our belt for his playable debut.

I think i'll step in and say that the ridley design isnt as bad as you guys are making it out to be, usually when someone ask why, this one photo of other M ridley is posted and which is of a bad screenshot of him, but ridley looks largely the same as his standard form throughout, only with small detail changes because this was a clone of ridley and not ridley himself

At this point, I'm convinced Ridley will be a stage hazard. The holes in the wall say it all for me.

I've never really cared about him nor understood the massive support for him*, so I'm good.

*Keep in mind I'm fairly late to Metroid so I didn't grow up with the franchise and embrace everything about it, hence why Other M had zero impact on me.

Drago

I have a copy of every main Metroid game other than Zero Mission and Other M (dunno if the DS games count cause I don't have them either) and I've never finished or have any attachment to any of them. Yes I'm awful.

I'd still want to see Ridley get in though... he has a great design and the reaction would be glorious.

I think i'll step in and say that the ridley design isnt as bad as you guys are making it out to be, usually when someone ask why, this one photo of other M ridley is posted and which is of a bad screenshot of him, but ridley looks largely the same as his standard form throughout, only with small detail changes because this was a clone of ridley and not ridley himself
As someone who takes character design pretty seriously, no, Ridley's design is just that bad in Other M.

His muscles are overdone.
His extremely curved and long claws are absurd.
He has random spikes jutting out of his body.
His tail looks like a toy.
The pattern on his wings is distracting.
His proportions are nasty.
His Woody Woodpecker beak is just doofy.

He looks like something I would have doodled in a notebook in sixth grade. Absolute amateur hour.

This is Ridley:

This is Ridley designed by a twelve year old:

I suppose we can take solace in the fact that the artist who designed him saw it pertinent to give him a finely sculpted ass:

zroid

Banned
I have a copy of every main Metroid game other than Zero Mission and Other M (dunno if the DS games count cause I don't have them either) and I've never finished or have any attachment to any of them. Yes I'm awful.

I'd still want to see Ridley get in though... he has a great design and the reaction would be glorious.

Apparently we are in a similar boat :p

I own every Metroid game in some form or another except for Metroid II, Zero Mission, and Hunters. But the only two I have beaten are Metroid (NES) and the first Metroid Prime.

I almost finished Fusion... but my GBA got stolen and it had the cart inside. I have a copy again thanks to the Ambassador program, but I didn't go back to it.

How would Ridley even work as a character?
His dragon-like proportions and tendency to fly more than walk fit a boss more than a playable character.

I am more than willing to accept another playable charater from the Metroid universe, but most of the antagonists(Ridley, Kraid, etc.) are too big.

If you can find a way to make them fit into a brawl easily and without them looking out of place then more power to you.

Ryce

At this point, I'm convinced Ridley will be a stage hazard. The holes in the wall say it all for me.

I've never really cared about him nor understood the massive support for him*, so I'm good.

*Keep in mind I'm fairly late to Metroid so I didn't grow up with the franchise and embrace everything about it, hence why Other M had zero impact on me.
Ridley support only really exists to the extent that it does because all of the major Nintendo characters are already accounted for. Ridley's fanbase is the loudest by default.

I mean, objectively, Metroid isn't a "major" series. It's not in Nintendo's top ten in terms of sales. It's even less significant in Japan where the Prime games never took off. From Sakurai's perspective, Ridley is a secondary character from a lukewarm series. There's certainly no urgency to include him as a playable character.

And I say all of this with Ridley at the top of my most wanted list, mind you.

Nibel

super-smash-bros-for-3ds-mega-man-samus.jpg

I didn't notice we can charge the attacks up. Is this possible in earlier Smash games? I haven't played since my Wii broke. :/

You could charge Samus' beam in the N64 version and not only that, but you could charge -> dodge roll -> charge -> dodge roll etc. until the beam was charged which felt pretty satisfying

SuperSah

Banned
You could charge Samus' beam in the N64 version and not only that, but you could charge -> dodge roll -> charge -> dodge roll etc. until the beam was charged which felt pretty satisfying

Was it removed in Brawl/Melee? I can't seem to remember.

Was it removed in Brawl/Melee? I can't seem to remember.

Off the top of my head, Samus, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo/Lucario, Link/Young Link/Toon Link, and Kirby (if he sucks up one of those mentioned) can all charge their attacks in Melee and Brawl. You can also charge up the lazer rifle, and all characters can charge their Smash Attacks in Melee and Brawl.

Tookay

The Other M Ridley hate is totally bizarre.

Especially comparing the Brawl version and acting like it was any better.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That's not particularly fair. Other M is poorly executed in many areas, one of those including its garish creature designs.

Probably not fair but in most cases I see the whole "they ruined my vision of Samus Aran" schtick.

I like that Ninja Theory made Samus more agile but I think in the end outsourcing the franchise out to them in the end was somewhat of a mistake.

I will also say for a series that is centered around Metroids(the species), other then what one enemy they weren't exactly a common experience.

I also wasn't fond of the detective "find the magic pixel to progress" scenes of having to find some obscure object.

And elaborating further on the first person aspect I thought the missile system and how it was implemented was rather poor.

And then you have the story which isn't the best thing to ever experience.

SmithnCo

The Other M Ridley hate is totally bizarre.

Especially comparing the Brawl version and acting like it was any better.

I dunno, hating a neon purple mess of claws and spikes seems reasonable. Just looks like they tried to make Ridley more "extreme" and went off the deep end.

Off the top of my head, Samus, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo/Lucario, Link/Young Link/Toon Link, and Kirby (if he sucks up one of those mentioned) can all charge their attacks in Melee and Brawl. You can also charge up the lazer rifle, and all characters can charge their Smash Attacks in Melee and Brawl.
Heh surely anybody that plays smash knows about that

Anura

DDD, rob, sheik, diddy, jigglypuff, marth, ike, Mario, and squirtle all have chargeable B moves too. I might be missing some there is a lot

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I dunno, hating a neon purple mess of claws and spikes seems reasonable. Just looks like they tried to make Ridley more "extreme" and went off the deep end.

you guys have it in your mind that they're purposely going for "extreme" with other M's ridley, but he is just a fucked up clone, thats all there is to it. ridley is already the design of the extreme 80s and 90s in the first place, he's a space dragon for pete's sake. There is more "extreme" ridley designs that already exist, im not trying to blindly defend this, truly im not, but this is going up to the heels argument on samus even though at the end of most of her games involves her taking off as much clothes as possible levels of nitpicky

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
That is seriously not true. I'm looking at the comparison pics of Ridley from the artwork and Other M and... he really does look ugly there.

Maybe not on NeoGAF. And I was always of the opinion Ridley was supposed to be an ugly dragon monster that hid away Ridley's high intellect.

qq more

Maybe not on NeoGAF. And I was always of the opinion Ridley was supposed to be an ugly dragon monster that hid away Ridley's high intellect.

When I call Other M Ridley ugly... I mean the bad kind of ugly.

Although I always saw Ridley otherwise as cool looking than ugly.

Top Bottom