• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
DayShallCome said:
Uh that totally blows. I definitely thought they could be used online... I thought that was the whole flipping point.

Can someone check to see if you can SEND custom stages to your friends? If not, then that truly is epic fail that takes away a lot of the need for the editor.

Also, if you CAN send them, has anyone tried the online thing when both users have the same custom stage?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Malfunky said:
5: You cannot use created stages in the online mode.

wat.

Doesn't surprise me. Online play becomes a hundred times harder to get right if you aren't allowed to assume that everyone's copy of the game is the same.

edit:
sending a level to someone in advance and then playing would be even worse. You would have to have some way to create a unique identifier that is attatched to that level that is guaranteed to never again be generated by any other wii in the world, ever. Which could be done, but is just a pain.

The only way I could even see it working is if the level was sent at the start of the match and stored temporarily on the other person's machine.

Metal B

slayn said:
The only way I could even see it working is if the level was sent at the start of the match and stored temporarily on the other person's machine.

Well this the way it works on Online Shooters ...

Jiggy

So after all this time, it turns out that Jigglypuff's final smash really is growing enormous? Or was even that second pic from a few pages back faked? >_>

Malfunky

slayn said:

This would be the most logical route. I'm pretty sure you could create, send, and play levels to and from other players via WiFi in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 on the DS.

Artadius

slayn said:
Doesn't surprise me. Online play becomes a hundred times harder to get right if you aren't allowed to assume that everyone's copy of the game is the same.

edit:
sending a level to someone in advance and then playing would be even worse. You would have to have some way to create a unique identifier that is attatched to that level that is guaranteed to never again be generated by any other wii in the world, ever. Which could be done, but is just a pain.

Could be done by using checksums I'd imagine. Simple enough.

Malfunky

Jiggy37 said:
So after all this time, it turns out that Jigglypuff's final smash really is growing enormous? Or was even that second pic from a few pages back faked? >_>

This? No, I captured it from the stream myself. She grew really large, pushed everyone off, and shrunk back down. I thought it was pretty cool.

J_Sensei

The landmaster meme may be silly, but it's either we all cry about it or laugh at it. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather make stupid jokes than be pissed that Nintendo couldn't have been more original.

Jiggy

Malfunky said:
This? No, I captured it from the stream myself. She grew really large, pushed everyone off, and shrunk back down. I thought it was pretty cool.
Ah, okay then. :D I need to see this in action some time...

3: As announced, the game comes with demos of the different classic games all the characters hail from. When playing a demo, you are kicked out of the game completely; you need to go back to the Wii's main menu to end the demo and restart playing Smash.

That doesn't make sense in light of this:

various23_080125l-l.jpg

And wasn't there a video of someone playing Ice Climbers and then returning to the selection screen?

Swisslink

Malfunky said:
5: You cannot use created stages in the online mode.

wat.

Omg >_<
So the editor is really stupid o_O

But... If i have the friendcode and send this guy the stage... can i still NOT play the stage online? O_O

slayn

Artadius said:
Could be done by using checksums I'd imagine. Simple enough.
until someone decides to mathemically compute a way to create two slightly different levels with the same name that add up to be the same ;)

Even so, sending the level on start would probably be better. But then what if someone makes a level that spells out FUCK. Think of the horror. All our fragile little minds would be corrupted by nintendo's online play.

slayn said:
until someone decides to mathemically compute a way to create two slightly different levels with the same name that add up to be the same ;)

Even so, sending the level on start would probably be better. But then what if someone makes a level that spells out FUCK. Think of the horror. All our fragile little minds would be corrupted by nintendo's online play.

I guess the question is, how big are files used to store the stages in?

Malfunky

I'm still holding out hope that you can play custom stages with friends. I'm assuming the 1up crew are using sp0rsk's copy or something, and nobody else they know has the game yet, so they haven't been able to test any "With Friends" options.

slayn

Golden Darkness said:
I guess the question is, how big are files used to store the stages in?

I can't imagine them being anywhere *near* as large as videos of matches which they are letting us send to each other. As far as I know, the levels are built from pre-determined parts designated by nintendo. So while the official levels might have some meat to them, any user created level would be extremely small.

Yeah, perhaps there is hope that you can play custom stages with friends online if both of you have the same stage. I won't rest until I know this. I now, lol video games.

Jiggy

I'm definitely assuming that by "the online mode," they mean With Anyone. Or maybe I'm confusing assumptions with hope.

Swisslink

Malfunky said:
I'm still holding out hope that you can play custom stages with friends. I'm assuming the 1up crew are using sp0rsk's copy or something, and nobody else they know has the game yet, so they haven't been able to test any "With Friends" options.

Nintendo has never created a good onlinemode... so...erm...
Yeah... I don't think so xD

webrunner

A Link to the Snitch said:
That's an argument that says she can be an original character, not that she can't be a clone.

I don't think she's ever been shown using a beam attack anything like samus's, or using missiles, or using morph ball or bombs, or doing a screw attack.

webrunner said:
Then let's put Dark Samus in the game as a Pikachu clone

...Great comparison.

Someone who looks like Samus, is roughly the same size as Samus, could never be a clone of Samus unless she could also be a clone of Pikachu, someone with roughly 0 things in common with Dark Samus.

So, why don't you make an argument why Dark Samus can't be a clone of Samus? There have been far stranger clones than Dark Samus > Samus.

Proven

webrunner said:
I don't think she's ever been shown using a beam attack anything like samus's, or using missiles, or using morph ball or bombs, or doing a screw attack.

You've obviously never beat Metroid Prime 3.

Cowie

Its a lot more convenient to not include functionality for custom stages. and I don't want to play online, and worse yet have to download, such homemade classics as 'penis stadium', 'penis land II', and of course, 'penis destination'. and with friends.. whatever, we've got 41 stages. and we'll probably end up playing 5 of them.

Teknoman

Did Luigi just say "bang bang" when he won? Had gun movements in there too.

Also is his final smash some kinda arabic dance of doom? Seriously because I have no clue what happened there.

Also its not THAT big a deal to not allow custom stages online atm. I mean we've got tons of kick ass stages. I just hope people dont start to stick to like 1-2 stages out of all of them. Nothing gets boring faster than playing the same stage over and over and over.

HURGHT

Teknoman said:
Did Luigi just say "bang bang" when he won? Had gun movements in there too.

Also is his final smash some kinda arabic dance of doom? Seriously because I have no clue what happened there.
It's hard to tell what's going on but it looks to me like that bubble he generates makes everything inside of it move at about half-speed, leaving anyone caught in it extremely vulnerable.

webrunner

A Link to the Snitch said:
...Great comparison.

Someone who looks like Samus, is roughly the same size as Samus, could never be a clone of Samus unless she could also be a clone of Pikachu, someone with roughly 0 things in common with Dark Samus.

So, why don't you make an argument why Dark Samus can't be a clone of Samus? There have been far stranger clones than Dark Samus > Samus.

I'm saying that in terms of moving, stances, animations, everything except her model, she has basically nothing in common with regular Samus.

You brought up Ness as an indication that doesnt matter, since lots of characters do stuff they never do, so since she also has nothing in common with Pikachu, since she doesn't do any of that either it makes just as much sense.

A character having the same build or looks to a clone makes absolutely no difference in how easy it is to make a clone out of them. It's just a matter of being able to fit the animation data to a new model and then tweak it.

Anyway, I said it before, Dark Samus has more in common with Mewtwo in the way that she acts, moves, and performs, then she does with Samus.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Yeah, Dark Samus could easily be a Mewtwo clone. Samus, though? Besides their looking very similar there is no reason that would happen. What's the point of even adding a character if you're going to completely ignore all their abilities? I'd rather have Wolf.

PkunkFury

In that video of Luigi, is he landing his super jumps upside down??

Zek said:
Yeah, Dark Samus could easily be a Mewtwo clone. Samus, though? Besides their looking very similar there is no reason that would happen. What's the point of even adding a character if you're going to completely ignore all their abilities? I'd rather have Wolf.

Somewhere in the distance, Ganondorf sheds a tear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom