• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT3| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambo

Neo Member
Just out of curiosity - what system do most people play SSF4 on? Are there any major differences between console versions?

sambo said:
Just out of curiosity - what system do most people play SSF4 on? Are there any major differences between console versions?

If you're talking about everybody in general, there are plenty of people playing both systems. It's hard to say which system has more. On GAF, it seems to be split pretty even I guess although some people(like myself) own both systems and play regularly on both.

As for the difference between the two, besides things such as graphics, the Xbox version runs a little faster. It's a tiny difference but can be a big deal for people who aren't use to it. That's not to say the Xbox verison is superior, just that you have to be prepared for it if you do feel a difference. Some people don't, some people do.

Threi said:
Interesting vid. Outside of Gat, the average damage output in SSF4 is about 50HP less than Vanilla, and this is for situational combos that require a lot of meter. Not really a huge difference looking back at things (again, outside of Sagat's LOL combo)

True for the most part, but Cammy is one of the exceptions. Cammy got nerfed hard damage wise from Vanilla to Super when it came to her SRK, FADC, Ultra. Doing Cannon Spike, FADC, Cannon Spike, FADC, Ultra did 590 in Vanilla, now it does 410 in Super.

SmokeMaxX

Take this for what you will, but the 360 version is more "arcade perfect." However, that doesn't really matter if you plan on competing at Evo which uses the PS3 version of the game.

USD

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/development_blog/2011/04/12_3082.html

ONI

CHARACTER INTRODUCTION
-Kuruoshiki Oni (which I shall translate as Batshit-Insane Oni) was created to be beyond Shin Akuma
-Created using Akuma as a base, but because of his different appearance, techniques, properties, etc., he's pretty much an entirely different character
-Higher health, stun than Akuma

M5AR9.jpg

NORMAL ATTACKS
-Does not have close/far normals, similar to Makoto or Dudley
-About half of his normals are new
-Some of his normals are similar to Akuma's, while others are not, so try to figure out where and how to use them

st.HP
-Steps forward while doing an upward diagonal palm thrust
-Forces stand
-At close range, will combo with Tatsu
-Has better reach than st.LP and has a strong upward-reaching hitbox, so at the proper distance, can be used as anti-air
-6F start-up, 4F active, 17F recovery. Won't link from any of his normals, but since you can use it for an easy combo as part of Target Combo 2, it will get frequent usage

NwBhK.jpg

F+HP
-Takes a large step forward while doing a palm thrust to the midsection
-Has the longest horizontal reach of his normals
-Even on block it's difficult to punish because of the distance, so it's effective as a poke
-Has projectile properties, so can neutralize projectile attacks. Won't work against multi-hitting projectiles, however
-Super-cancellable
-11F startup, 6F active, 18F recovery; +0 on hit, -9 on block

st.MK
-At close range, does two hits
-Relatively fast start-up, and has reach, so you can use it as a poke, but use with caution, as it will whiff against crouching opponents from a distance
-First hit is special- and Super-cancellable.
-5F start-up, 1F active (first hit) 4F active (second), 14F recovery
-Can link from st.LP, other attacks

F+MK
-Does a spin while performing a forward roundhouse kick
-Has the second longest reach, after F+HP
-Different from F+HP, as it keeps Oni moving forward after the motion, so intentional whiffs can be an effective way to close in
-Rather slow start-up for a MK, so it's best to not abuse it
-12F start-up, 2F active, 13F recovery; +2 on hit, -2 on block

F+HK
-A high back roundhouse, in a similar motion to Ryu's st.HK
-Knocks down against air opponents, so you can follow up with certain specials in the corner
-Spaced properly, you can hit your opponent out of the start of a forward jump

cr.HK
-A crouched spinning sweep
-8F start-up, 2F active, 24F recovery
-Won't link with any of his normals, but has good reach and a strong hitbox
-On block, can be punished with Ultra Combos by nearly all characters, so it's best to use it from a far distance, where it's difficult to punish

trb41.jpg

UNIQUE ATTACKS AND TARGET COMBOS
-B+MP (Ganka Uchi)
-Fast, links from st.LP (and other attacks)
-Special- and super-cancellable
-TC1: F+LP → st.MP
-TC2: B+MP → st.HP
-Both are cancellable
-Can used for various combos, but since too many hits will affect total damage, use it based on the match-up and your own preference

SPECIAL ATTACKS
-Special moves: Gohadoken, Gorai Hadoken (Roaring Thunder Hadoken), Zanku Hadosho (air dash), Goshoryuken, Tatsumaki Zankukyaku, Air Tatsu, Sekisei Jiraiken (Red Star Landmine Fist, aka fist pound), Rakan Dantojin (Arhat Tower Slice Blade, aka palm slice).
-All except Zanku Hadosho have EX versions
-Tatsu and Palm Slice are Armor-Break

Explanation of some EX move properties:

EX Gohadoken
-The normal version is chargeable, will reach full-screen and hit twice, but the EX version already has those properties and is not chargeable
-Doesn't knock down ground opponents, so you can create various combos from FADCs

QRmCL.jpg

EX Rakan Dantojin (Palm slice)
-MK version has projectile-invincibility only during the forward movement at start-up, but the EX version is projectile-invincible until the end of active frames
-Slow technique, so if you're too far away, you'll go through the fireball but won't hit your opponent in time

1WQRc.jpg

EX Sekisei Jiraiken (Fist pound)
-Normal version is one hit, can be blocked low, but the EX version is two-hit, overhead on the first hit only
-Has a prolonged hitbox when his fist hits the ground, so depend on how it hits, it can be difficult to punish even when blocked
-Knocks down, so you can follow up the attack with a combo

oK56W.jpg

SUPER COMBO
-Super Combo is Shun Goku Satsu (Raging Demon).
-Can also be done in the air, but only hit air opponents. Like the ground version, can be kara-cancelled

eViv3.jpg

ULTRA COMBOS
-UC1 is Meido Gohado, UC2 is Tenchi Sokaigen
-UC1 does 350 damage from a distance, but 450 point-blank
-UC1 gives you access to Messatsu Gotenha (upward fireball version) and Messtasu Gozanku (air fireball version). Neither do particularly high damage, but find ways to use them and include them in your fighting strategy
jr3Jt.jpg

-UC2 does high damage, is projectile-invincible
-At close range, a hit will lock your opponent in the cinematic
-Doesn't do much damage outside of the cinematic, so move in close when using the move
-Can be comboed from FADCs, so we recommend players who prefer damage to use this UC
-525 damage on a clean hit (i.e. the second most-damaging UC in the game, only surpassed by oiled Hakan's Oil Coaster)

FzDLR.jpg

OTHER
-Like Evil Ryu, the boss version in Arcade Mode has totally different properties

Thanks again USD for translations. I'm more interested in Evil Ryu, but Oni is still a shoto so I'll definitely be giving him a shot as well. He definitely has some interesting moves that I would like to try out.

USD

Tokido joining the dark side? Just read on Twitter that Tonpy couldn't beat Tokido's brand-new Yang. The beginning of a new Ice Age?

BadWolf

USD said:
Tokido joining the dark side? Just read on Twitter that Tonpy couldn't beat Tokido's brand-new Yang. The beginning of a new Ice Age?

Interesting, so its Daigo/Tokido and Marn/Justin.

Glad Tokido picked someone else, his Akuma is amazing but like Daigo I wanted to see him main another character. Yang fits his style of play well too.

USD

BadWolf said:
Interesting, so its Daigo/Tokido and Marn/Justin.

Glad Tokido picked someone else, his Akuma is amazing but like Daigo I wanted to see him main another character. Yang fits his style of play well too.
It doesn't necessarily mean much, definitely can't really say that he's switching mains. I'm wondering if he's going to give Yang a try at the TOPANGA Charity Cup in 10 days.

rivals

I'm looking forward to SFvT but wasn't really hyped for it before. Also can someone confirm that I'm remembering correctly that they said after that there's going to be something about a TvSF that would be 3d? Am I remembering that right?

Imm0rt4l

rivals said:
I'm looking forward to SFvT but wasn't really hyped for it before. Also can someone confirm that I'm remembering correctly that they said after that there's going to be something about a TvSF that would be 3d? Am I remembering that right?
It should be in line with the tekken games iirc. it's 3d.

s320x240

rivals

I was referring to the plane in which the game is played, not the models. SFvT is like SF4 in that it's 3D models but played in a 2D plane, correct? I remember hearing something about a TvSF that would be played in 3D plane like Tekken but as I said I could be entirely wrong and misremembering.

Imm0rt4l

rivals said:
I was referring to the plane in which the game is played, not the models. SFvT is like SF4 in that it's 3D models but played in a 2D plane, correct? I remember hearing something about a TvSF that would be played in 3D plane like Tekken but as I said I could be entirely wrong and misremembering.
yea, that's what I'm saying it's supposed to be in line with the tekken games.

The dinosaur stage is awesome. Makes me want primal rage.

I want a Gief/Marduk team. Hopefully Bruce is in too, so I can roll Adon/Bruce as well.

rivals

Imm0rt4l said:
yea, that's what I'm saying it's supposed to be in line with the tekken games.

Ahh okay sorry I misunderstood. In any case I'm really looking forward to hearing more about it now, though considering I'm still learning Super and have barely touched MvC3 I don't mind if it's not out for a long time.

Imm0rt4l

kevo_huevo said:
hey everyone. would it be possible to get an invite to psn chat? psn name is the same as gaf username. thanks, much appreciated.
Shoot me a friend request or anyone in the room that has access and then you can be invited. I might be on tonight. GODHAND04.

Stopey

Neo Member
BotoxAgent said:
good decision, and it will surely attract more Japanese competitors now (hopefully)
I think most Japanese top players will be able to clean up shop, considering how powerful Yun/Yang are and a huge head start on the game compared to most Americans. On the other hand, Tokido mentioned that AE is not very popular in Japan...

BadWolf

Excellent news about AE at Evo.

Stopey said:
On the other hand, Tokido mentioned that AE is not very popular in Japan...

Latest Arcadia top 10 list, posted by KBlackNoah on dreamcancel.com:

1. Gundam Extreme Versus (276.8 points)
2. Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (259.4 points)
3. Tekken 6 Bloodline Rebellion (241.5 points)
4. Super Street Fighter 4 AE (197.3 points)
5. Melty Blood AA Current Code (111.5 points)
6. Blazblue CSII (92.7 points)
7. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (79.1 points)
8. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (70.5 points)
9. Arcana Heart 3 (68.7 points)
10. Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT (65.3 points)

Imm0rt4l said:
Shoot me a friend request or anyone in the room that has access and then you can be invited. I might be on tonight. GODHAND04.

thanks. I'll try to be on tonight as well. also, don't be fooled by my PP, I have no idea how it got to 3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom