• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

Teknoman

j5PfaegjR1Tqd.jpg

yjmsP.gif

Developer: Dimps / Capcom

Publisher: Capcom

Official content trailer

Release dates:
  • JP February 26, 2011
  • EU March 25, 2011
  • NA March 27, 2011
  • AUS March 31, 2011

World warriors:

All 35 fighters, straight from the console version of Super Street Fighter IV.
imkA98.jpg

Features:
  • ONLINE / LOCAL WIFI MULTIPLAYER
    Fight your friends around the world or in the same room with Nintendo's online network.
    Lobbies included.
    jjUtGW.jpg

• FIGURINE MODE
    Figurines of iconic characters who battle automatically via Street Pass when passing another 3DS owner. Next time you play the game, view the results and collect your loot.
    500 figures to unlock, collect, and battle!
    imgohi.jpg

• DYNAMIC VIEW
    A new over-the-shoulder camera option offering an exciting new perspective of the action.
    imk8Dy.jpg

• GAME SHARING
    Play a game with a friend using Ryu, even if they don't have the cartridge.
    jmgwDC.jpg

• SPECTATOR MODE
    Use your own 3DS to watch friends battle live.
    jmgQ32.jpg

• LITE/PRO CONTROL MODES
    Using the touchscreen, use two new control schemes to pull off challenging moves with ease (Lite) and to better access button combinations such as throws and three punches (Pro).
    imgsl2.jpg
Reviews:

jmlvI4.jpg

* SSFIV 3D usually runs at 30 fps. In order to play the game at 60, turn 3D off in the options menu

Banner and logo courtesy of Newsguy & HiroProtagonist

angelfly

Should also add to the OP that you need to turn off 3D and not just turn the slider down in order to get 60 fps.

Bear

Got to try this out earlier today and it looked and felt good. Played pretty much like the console game and the 3D looked nice. The analog slide pad was better than I expected, too, it worked well with this game.

Boney

Banned
Oh so 1 cartridge play is limited to ryu? Thought that was the transfer demo and that perhaps multi allowed for all 35 characters.

Oh well..

It also includes 3 costumes per character right?

Info I learned from Op: if your local friend doesn't have the game, they can only play with Ryu.

Better than not at all I suppose.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Boney said:
Oh so 1 cartridge play is limited to ryu? Thought that was the transfer demo and that perhaps multi allowed for all 35 characters.

Oh well..

Can you imagine the time it would take for the client's 3DS to download all this?

Busaiku

Incitemaybe said:
Info I learned from Op: if your local friend doesn't have the game, they can only play with Ryu.

Better than not at all I suppose.
What's more, if you download from someone that had the game, 2 people without the game can both play it as Ryu.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
If you can play this game online, I'd be down for some matches later tonight.

-PXG-

This is easily the best example of how 3D works on the 3DS. The game looks and plays great. If you're used to a stick, it may take a bit to adjust. Oh, and there are hella frame drops during ultras.

Teknoman

Yeah the 3D effects, even when not using the over the shoulder view, are pretty cool. Feels like the viewing area extends really far into the background. No problem seeing anything at max slider either.

Jin34 said:
Wait so this has spectator mode but MvC 3 doesn't? Amazing.

Yeah, hopefully that will pop up at some point. Nice that this even has lobbies, or at least is supposed to. I wont know until tomorrow.

I'm not getting it..........just because i suck at street fighter games :(

will try to get it on goozex or trade for it, or for cheap down the road :D

hopefully this sells good so we get more fighting games.

I might buy this if only because I will have noobs to play against again. Going back and playing console SSFIV online just ends with me getting my ass kicked.

Boney

Banned
Oh I'm totally getting this as well btw.

Hopefully now you guys wanna add me.. nobody cared for me when Tatsunoko released :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it true it's 30fps in 3D? Sucks because everyone said the opposite for months...

Teknoman

Alextended said:
Is it true it's 30fps in 3D? Sucks because everyone said the opposite for months...

Yup, but on the bright side, it plays really well even at 30 fps. So far it seems to require different strategies than the console and arcade versions, since you can perform charge attacks without charging via the lite controls.

friskykillface said:
I'm not getting it..........just because i suck at street fighter games :(

will try to get it on goozex or trade for it, or for cheap down the road :D

hopefully this sells good so we get more fighting games.

Set it to lite controls, then brave the grave.

Alexios

Why does it make little sense? 60 fps is optimal. It was believed Capcom managed to have enough performance leftover so that they maintained that in both 2D and 3D mode. There'd be no reason to go higher than 60 fps in 2D mode with the leftover juice so they'd have it locked at that, if that's what you mean. Also, everyone.

Edit: nevermind then, lol.

Good to know, Teknoman. I was just curious. It's not like I'm a high level player that would calculate frames for moves or anything. Although the visual difference is obvious I imagine 3D makes up for it on some level.

Teknoman

Busaiku said:
Wait, who said it would be 60 FPS in 3D and 30 in 2D?!
That makes little sense.

Alextended said:
Why does it make little sense? 60 fps is optimal. It was believed Capcom managed to have enough performance leftover so that they maintained that in both 2D and 3D mode. There'd be no reason to go higher than 60 fps in 2D mode with the leftover juice so they'd have it locked at that, if that's what you mean. Also, everyone.

Mixed messages. Busaiku, Alex meant that everyone was saying that it ran at 60fps in 3D, not that it was 30 without 3D.

Busaiku

Alextended said:
Well you said you believed the opposite (of 30 FPS in 3D, 60 in 2D), which would mean 60 in 3D, but 30 in 2D.
How could it be higher in 3D than in 2D?

Alexios

What's borked about that? People spam moves in all versions whether they use button shortcuts or not? Afaik the touch screen shortcuts just replace button combinations you set to the extra buttons other controllers have. Easy mode lets you set more advanced stuff, but you can choose not to play against people who use that mode.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kuran said:
I really hate, hate the instant-special system for the bottom-screen. I just don't understand why they didn't at least make its usage optional for VS play.

The bottom-screen in SF4 should simply give a list of commands, if anything.

It is optional.

Teknoman

Alextended said:

Good to know, Teknoman. I was just curious. It's not like I'm a high level player that would calculate frames for moves or anything. Although the visual difference is obvious I imagine 3D makes up for it on some level.

It does. At first it threw me off, since I was used to all SF games moving at a certain framerate (even SF EX series ran at 60), but the 3D background depth and the general smoothness of gameplay, will take your mind of the framerate after a few matches.

El Sloth

Banned
Awntawn said:
I don't see anything surprising here. These shenanigans were expected when it was revealed what the bottom screen would be used for during fights.

I think it'll be interesting to see how differently characters are played and what new strategies develop thanks to the system. Or we could all just bow down to god tier Guile. Either, or.

Teknoman

Kuran said:
I really hate, hate the instant-special system for the bottom-screen. I just don't understand why they didn't at least make its usage optional for VS play.

The bottom-screen in SF4 should simply give a list of commands, if anything.

Its optional. Pro mode just allows you to make single button shortcuts, like MP+MK, or LP+MP+HP.

Kuran said:
Optional for the user, or optional for everyone in a 'advanced' netplay mode?

You should be able to filter matches/change lobby settings.

The only thing that truly sucks about the game is they took out the option for arranged BGM settings and setting certain languages for specific characters. Not that big a deal...but all the character themes are pretty iconic by now, and it was cool to hear them in every match when playing the console version.

The game is merely OK in 3D mode. The framerate stutters, which sucks. But if you turn 3D off in the options menu (not the slider) the framerate is great. Just get used to playing it with the analog slider, because the new placement of the DPad on the 3DS is abysmal and not conducive to gaming comfortably. Haven't tried any online matches, and probably wont. So I cant comment on the cheese.

angelfly said:
I for one enjoy mapping supers (of which I wouldn't otherwise be able to pull off) to single button presses.

I'm with you on that.

Maybe if I dedicated more time to the training modes on PS3 I would want that same difficulty curve on the 3DS but my days of practicing over and over without having fun doing it is long gone (with my days with my beloved Dreamcast,lol). I'm older now and have less time. I just want to play something and have fun. I feel that the challenge is still there but it doesn't require me to learn a move that takes 6 button combos.

Kuran

Banned
Teknoman said:
Its optional. Pro mode just allows you to make single button shortcuts, like MP+MK, or LP+MP+HP.

You should be able to filter matches/change lobby settings.

The only thing that truly sucks about the game is they took out the option for arranged BGM settings and setting certain languages for specific characters. Not that big a deal...but all the character themes are pretty iconic by now, and it was cool to hear them in every match when playing the console version.

With arranged BGM settings, do you mean that there is only one version of each song? Or that the game limits the song-selection process before each match?

Sorry haven't played SF4 since its original release...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SPECTATOR MODE
Use your own 3DS to watch friends battle live.

3DS > Marvel 3, confirmed.

Goddamn it, Capcom

angelfly said:
I for one enjoy mapping supers (of which I wouldn't otherwise be able to pull off) to single button presses.

Some of the supers, I'll agree with. But some, noteable: Cody are just QCF/Bx2 plus two kicks/punches (IIRC). Not that hard to do, but may be funky with the 3DS button layout.

Teknoman

Kinspiracy said:
The game is merely OK in 3D mode. The framerate stutters, which sucks. But if you turn 3D off in the options menu (not the slider) the framerate is great. Just get used to playing it with the analog slider, because the new placement of the DPad on the 3DS is abysmal and not conducive to gaming comfortably. Haven't tried any online matches, and probably wont. So I cant comment on the cheese.

But friend codes :(

Seriously though, the d-pad works for me, but most just need to be broken in. Didnt notice any stutters when playing it in store, aside from during a few ultra combos.

Top Bottom