• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

jtrov

Finally had a strong outing online in some SSFIV 3D tonight! I can finally pull off charge moves constantly with the circle-pad, and it feels so good. I'm finally able to pull off moves when I need to, instead of just opening myself up for a beat down. However, I'm still having some struggles with some Ultra's, by moving the circle pad to high and jumping into my opponent. Regardless, I am finally able to play Chun-Li effectively online, and damn does it feel great.

I too, dislike "lite" control scheme, and had no idea I could filter the control type until late last night. However, I don't think you're able to filter the search when using the quick match option. So instead I'm having a lot of luck creating a lobby and setting the conditions to "same-skill" and "same-control type". I would say about 90% of the time my room fills instantly with an opponent.

Loving. This. Game!

Teknoman said:
If anyone is confused by what I mean, this is what the music should sound like:
So heres hoping for a patch (Spot pass maybe), since I doubt Capcom would do a recall based on one broken music track.

Woah, I see what you're saying now. First I heard the 3DS version, because I have yet to have a match there yet.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by, "spot pass"?

Teknoman said:
If anyone is confused by what I mean, this is what the music should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VPGPVUuM8

However this is what it sounds like in the 3D edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3176VYafg0 (just the first 16 seconds)

So heres hoping for a patch (Spot pass maybe), since I doubt Capcom would do a recall based on one broken music track.

Wow. As a huge fan of good fighting game music that is really upsetting. That song actually has a decent part too, which is hard to say about SF4's soundtrack.

maeda

Guys what is a good place to read about the mechanics of the game? The game is extremely overwhelming in terms of features, since I haven't played a SF game since SSF2T. How the hell do I pull ultras? Also what are some tactics in chaining the moves and forming combos. It seems that SF still doesn't have "dial" combos. I tried the inputs, but it does not work. I learned how to pull super combo moves (is it how they are called?) not the ultra ones.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Everyone seems to drop in SSFIV3D if you win even a single fight. Getting annoying.

That being said, having tons of fun with this. First SF I've played since SF2 on the SNES (I played IV on PC for a bit, but I'm god awful at it normally. <3 Lite controls) Played through the campaign with like 10 characters and so far Cammy seems to be the best fit for me. Her Bison outfit is the best.

Teknoman

jtrov said:
Finally had a strong outing online in some SSFIV 3D tonight! I can finally pull off charge moves constantly with the circle-pad, and it feels so good. I'm finally able to pull off moves when I need to, instead of just opening myself up for a beat down. However, I'm still having some struggles with some Ultra's, by moving the circle pad to high and jumping into my opponent. Regardless, I am finally able to play Chun-Li effectively online, and damn does it feel great.

I too, dislike "lite" control scheme, and had no idea I could filter the control type until late last night. However, I don't think you're able to filter the search when using the quick match option. So instead I'm having a lot of luck creating a lobby and setting the conditions to "same-skill" and "same-control type". I would say about 90% of the time my room fills instantly with an opponent.

Loving. This. Game!

Woah, I see what you're saying now. First I heard the 3DS version, because I have yet to have a match there yet.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by, "spot pass"?

Well street pass is for local transferring data, and I think spot pass is when data is transferred from a wi-fi connection, since the manual for the system shows things like "new level received" under the spot pass section. Others have received Capcom messages via spot pass notification too.

maeda said:
Guys what is a good place to read about the mechanics of the game? The game is extremely overwhelming in terms of features, since I haven't played a SF game since SSF2T. How the hell do I pull ultras? Also what are some tactics in chaining the moves and forming combos. It seems that SF still doesn't have "dial" combos. I tried the inputs, but it does not work. I learned how to pull super combo moves (is it how they are called?) not the ultra ones.

Ultras are kind of revenge moves, since your ultra bar (2 rectangles on the side of your super meter) only fills up when you get hit. Look at the command list in game and check the inputs for your character's move. Usually ends with 3 punch buttons or 3 kick buttons (easy to do in pro, since it sets one section to 3p or 3k, and even easier with lite).

Also read the manual, actually has a decent alot of helpful tips.

I played for a couple of hours last night I still can't get used to the tiny dpad i played on the 360 dpad before and actually think that was better. Maybe it's just my fat thumbs.

jtrov

Teknoman said:
Well street pass is for local transferring data, and I think spot pass is when data is transferred from a wi-fi connection, since the manual for the system shows things like "new level received" under the spot pass section. Others have received Capcom messages via spot pass notification too.

Oh wow, that could be pretty interesting then. That's what I get for not reading the system's manual. Thanks again for the explanation.

dankir

Okay now I'm getting the fucking hang of this. I'm starting to play just like my Gouken on the 360. I can pull off links into tatsu xx FADC xx into Ultra 1 consistenly. Without the lite button scheme mind you :)
Capcom did a fucking sick jump on this, can't say it enough.

I even did his throw, into jump MP, D+FP, xx demon flip reset lol.

Yesterday I thought the d pad was shit but I can pull DP motions like nothing on this. AND THIS GAME IS ONLINE ANYWHERE I GO? FUCK MEET YES!!

Dunno about the rest of you, but the lite mode is sick!

Button 1 is Ultra, Button 2 is L punch, Button 3 is super, Button 4 is L kick, I use L and R for focus and throw.

And now I have 6 face buttons :)

PLEASE BRING MVC 3 TO THIS.

Is anyone else having trouble reliably pulling off charge moves, especially with the Circle Pad? Seems like whenever I go to do the "forward" motion, it doesn't often "take." I'm especially bothered that Down-Forward doesn't count as "Forward" for the "Forward+Attack" part of a move like that.

Also, I'm not especially good at Street Fighter, but I love it (I'm still using Lite Mode). Here's my Friend Code: 3394-3559-8027

jtrov

Lupin the Wolf said:
Is anyone else having trouble reliably pulling off charge moves, especially with the Circle Pad? Seems like whenever I go to do the "forward" motion, it doesn't often "take." I'm especially bothered that Down-Forward doesn't count as "Forward" for the "Forward+Attack" part of a move like that.

Also, I'm not especially good at Street fighter, but I love it (I'm still using Lite Mode). Here's my Friend Code: 3394-3559-8027

I primarily use charge characters, and I was also having a really hard time pulling off moves with the circle-pad. My best advice is to stick with it, because eventually it'll begin to click. Once you get more familiar to the range and feel of the circle-pad you'll be able to pull off moves in recession more easily.

I'm sorry I can't provide something more in-depth, but in my experience I was finally able to nail these moves once I got more comfortable with the circle-pad itself. Yesterday, I won only one two matches out of about 10 with Chun-Li, and my execution was horrible. However, tonight I was able to win every match, and my execution was on point. I felt a lot more comfortable with the controls after putting in more time with the game.

I'll add you to my Friends List. I'll PM you my FC.

jtrov said:
I primarily use charge characters, and I was also having a really hard time pulling off moves with the circle-pad. My best advice is to stick with it, because eventually it'll begin to click. Once you get more familiar to the range and feel of the circle-pad you'll be able to pull off moves in recession more easily.

I'm sorry I can't provide something more in-depth, but in my experience I was finally able to nail these moves once I got more comfortable with the circle-pad itself. Yesterday, I won only one two matches out of about 10 with Chun-Li, and my execution was horrible. However, tonight I was able to win every match, and my execution was on point. I felt a lot more comfortable with the controls after putting in more time with the game.

I'll add you to my Friends List. I'll PM you my FC.

So, just practice practice practice, then. Good to know I'm not alone, at least. Thanks!

I decided I should just spend a bit of time in Training with the Input display mode on to help me accurately gauge how the controller interprets movement.

Micius

MidnightScott said:
I'm disappointed, the music is not very loud at all in this game. :/

You can up the volume a bit in settings but yeah, it's noticeably lower than games on my DSi. Not sure if it's just this game or the 3DS speakers in general.

Teknoman

Micius said:
You can up the volume a bit in settings but yeah, it's noticeably lower than games on my DSi. Not sure if it's just this game or the 3DS speakers in general.

Its probably because its set on surround sound. But yeah, boost the volume in the menu first.

Foxix Von

Spent about a half hour playing today.

I still suck but damn if this game doesn't look great. I can never get my ultras to hit damnit. I'm also refusing to use the touch screen by just hammering on it with my thumb. That's just gross.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm impressed on how well the game runs on the 3DS, and how great the 3D looks in the game. I'm going to admit here, I never played Street Fighter 4 on consoles (MVC3 however is a yes :p) and I always wanted to get back into Street Fighter again. Playing this online and local, the controls are excellent and I am always getting hooked or on the edge of my seat when playing online. It's such an amazing experiance, I'm glad I got this game and playing it. Dudley <3

Foxix Von

Izayoi said:
Guys why do I suck so bad at this game.

Help me choose a main.

Well if you ever need someone to spar against I'm SUPER rusty haha. I can't even execute any ultras. I personally use Cammy, but that's just because I played using her a ton before Super came out. That and all her moves are pretty damn easy to pull off haha.

Teknoman

Izayoi said:
Guys why do I suck so bad at this game.

Help me choose a main.

I'd say just start with Ryu or Ken. Imo best way to learn how to play any fighting game, is to use the poster characters. That and maybe challenge people here and elsewhere alot. You'll lose a few times, but you can ask for advice from whoever won the fight.

Izayoi

Banned
If it means anything to any of you, I main Tsubaki and Lambda is CS. Are there any characters in Street Fighter that play similarly?

Celine

Lupin the Wolf said:

Also, I'm not especially good at Street Fighter, but I love it (I'm still using Lite Mode). Here's my Friend Code: 3394-3559-8027
I started using the d-pad as it felt good to do quarter-moves but this input is simply too imprecise ( jump when you don't need or don't jump when you need etc. ) and slow.

So reverted back to d-pad.

Had some online matches yesterday and apart one with terrible lag the others run silky smooth.

However I seems to be unable to do Ultra even in training mode ( and using the touch for the 3 punch/kick ) !
So instead I'm now using Lite mode.

Didn't know Honda had a new special move, ah awesome.

jintek

Banned
I want this (and a 3DS) now!

Anyway, is the analog slider any good for this or is it d-pad all the way? Maybe one day Nintendo will launch a D-pad that bests the Saturn, then fighting game fans can rejoice. But I disgress, great to hear SSFIV rocks on 3DS I'll be picking it up whenever I get my 3DS.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I cannot believe how amazing (and feature complete!) this version turned out. You can tell where they had to cut some corners (ink effects, backgrounds) but the core experience is perfectly intact. I had no problems switching from arcade stick to d-pad, and with 8 buttons within easy reach (4 face, 2 shoulder, and 2 of 4 touch panels), I've had no problems finding my SF4 rhythm.

The lite controls are a game-breaking mistake, but at least you can filter out those cheaters when in online play. Sadly, before I played with the online customization aspect of matchmaking, I incurred my first and only loss to what will likely prove to be an extremely popular Guile + lite epidemic.

Online can be laggy, as is the jarring switch from 60 fps to 30, but on the whole, the game does not fail to consistently impress. Best launch title of the bunch, IMHO.

vg260

This game was beautifully done, and I love the 3D effect, but I can't for the life of me get moves out consistently on the d-pad and I have been a fighting game pad warrior since SF2 on the SNES. :(

Sadly, the PSP (non-fatty) d-pad and buttons are leagues better (in Alpha 3) than the 3DS.

jlevel13

Foxix said:
I can never get my ultras to hit damnit.

You have to learn to combo into your ultras. Use practice mode or the trials until it feels natural - or if you can't get the combos down, only use supers or ultras to punish the other player if they whiff theirs. If you're just throwing out random supers or ultras you're opening yourself up too easily (better not to use them at all then randomly).

Onagi

Banned
I love this game online. I ran into my first lite controls abuser, and actually lost about five times because I am terrible. After I won my first match the guy quit.

I need to not be so terrible.

Chairhome

Lyonaz said:
Unlock code for exclusive platinum figurine.

http://www.capcom-europe.com/blog/20...fighter-iv-3d/

The actual code is DPrkMnybCd
Yeah, I posted it yesterday, I'm hoping Teknoman can update the OP with all the figurine codes:

wackojackosnose said:
Figurine codes that I stole and fixed up from Gamefaqs:

All of them are L7!

Blanka
DmdkeRvbxc

E. Honda
uUDsTlmbUN (lower case L)

Silver Ibuki - ilMsRBabpB (el)

Silver Makoto - GHakWCTbsl (el)

Silver Juri – OfQkARpbJR

Gold Ryu – KjckTnSbwK

Gold Zangief – hinsVnebTu

Silver Gouki (Akuma) – RYSsPxSbTh

Silver Chun-Li - tLWkWvrblz (el)

Gold Guile - qeJkznDbKE

Silver Ken - NyosHgybuW

Gold Vega (Dictator) - CgIsQNWbHu (cap eye)

Silver Rose - GKkkXXtbSe

Silver Balrog (Claw) - PqUswOobWG

Silver Cody - naMkEQgbQG

Silver Sakura - uzTsXzIbKn (cap eye)

Special Gouki (Akuma) - uQHkWgYbJC

Silver Dan – rDRkkSIbqS (cap eye)

Mailenstein said:
• Fei Long (Platinum): MzisXzabBF

• Cammy (Platinum): dfukkvGbdt
Hex said:
Not sure if anyone posted it yet, here is the special Chun Li Statue code from TGS

zAAkcHVbHk

ouch, someone I know told me once he played this in 3D, regular 2D SSF4 is "pig disgusting" to look at

I really have to try this someday

Skilletor

_dementia said:
ouch, someone I know told me once he played this in 3D, regular 2D SSF4 is "pig disgusting" to look at

I do not share that opinion. I can't tolerate fighters at 30fps.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IMHO, 30fps is tolerable for SF4 on this portable format because SF4 is not a blazing fast game, and has extremely big, clear, telegraphed character animation. With a significant hit pause upon each impact.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 30fps online is being used to hide input latency, but since the game does play correctly with proper timing, it may have been the right decision. Being stuck playing a fighter on wifi would be bound to cause even worse latency issues.

I have tested some local wifi matches against another 3DS in 60fps mode however, and we both found there was nearly zero human perceptible input latency. It felt much better than Tekken 5 on the PSP, for comparison. Granted, we didn't try to play in separate rooms or behind walls, but even so. The latency seems as if it can't be more than a few frames in local wifi.

Anyone know if the 3DS uses a newer wifi standard than the DSi or PSP that would make local ad-hoc games perform better?

Sallokin

I've pretty much been playing this game exclusively. I'd like to get some online matches though so please feel free to add me. 2277-6650-2988

Kai Dracon

_dementia said:

If he meant 2D SFIV on the consoles, he is being absurd.

If he means 2D mode in portable SFIV, then he has a point - the 3D does heavily compensate as a visual effect for the lack of animation in the backgrounds. The game looks a lot more stuffy with 3D turned off.

Poyunch

So wait it's stuck at 30 fps when online? I've been turning off the 3D all this time once I started playing randoms.

Celine

PounchEnvy said:
So wait it's stuck at 30 fps when online? I've been turning off the 3D all this time once I started playing randoms.
Yes, online is only 30fps ( same happened with Mario Kart DS ).
To get 60 fps on local you need to disable an option in the menu, not just shut off the slide.
Though in that case the game doesn't use AA.

vg260

Celine said:
Yes, online is only 30fps ( same happened with Mario Kart DS ).
To get 60 fps on local you need to disable an option in the menu, not just shut off the slide.
Though in that case the game doesn't use AA.

Do you recall which option?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
StickSoldier said:
BTW, is Akuma OP by any chance? I was trying Guy for awhile there but just wasn't having fun with him, so I switched to Akuma since he is actually my favorite SF character. I always had this feeling that he was OP, though, since he normally is an unlockable character.

I wouldn't say he is at all. He has powerful moves and some really damaging combos, but he has fairly low life and dies pretty quick if you let your guard down. Balances out.

So playing through challenge mode makes me realize just how much I suck at fighters. I am on level 10 of Sakura's challenge, and I just can't input the commands quick enough, I just watched a video of it.... I dunno how the hell I'd manage these combinations so quickly.

Kai Dracon

DarthWufei said:
So playing through challenge mode makes me realize just how much I suck at fighters. I am on level 10 of Sakura's challenge, and I just can't input the commands quick enough, I just watched a video of it.... I dunno how the hell I'd manage these combinations so quickly.

Ah heh, don't feel bad. The challenge trials are the exact same ones as the console version - in other words they were devised for people playing on a big pad or a full joystick.

It's a lot harder to do many of them on the 3DS controls.

wwm0nkey

Teknoman said:
Turn off 3D in the options menu.

Oh and does anyone know how to make sure Spot pass is active? I haven't received a message from Capcom yet.
just go to the figure thing, build your team and then click "activate street pass"

NOTE: You have to activate it again when you switch teams.

Top Bottom