• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: The Top Earning Console/PC/Mobile Games of 2015 (Digital/Estimates)

RexNovis

Banned
let's see
- i copied the title directly from the article
- i went out of my way to post a source used inside the article and a screencap of the pc games
- i didn't bring up consoles, but retail console sales are not going to push them above the f2p digital pc revenue
this isn't "clickbait shit", nor is it "misleading". maybe it'd be easier to get a solid number on console physical sales and revenue if they were even published anymore.

You should know better than to copy paste the title of an article (especially one from Ars) without placing the name in front. Ie "Ars Technica: "PC is the biggest gaming platform."

Yes you did post the source but you completely ignored the elephant in the room in regards to the article and it's source; it is digital revenue only. The split for digital:retail on PC heavily skews the results in its favor.

Nah man CoD and GTAV ain't no joke on console. Their retail revenues are sure to be way up there.

It's misleading because the original title and article are misleading. They neglect to address the data bias of digital sales and instead make a claim of "biggest platform" based off of incomplete data. If you wanna say "biggest platform for digital revenues" sure that'd be fine but that's common sense at this point so it won't get those clicks.

orochi91

Uhh that's digital revenues only. Of course a platform dominated by digital purchases and massively popular free to play games is going to have higher digital profits.

If you add retail sales into this then it's a whole different story. Misleading op is misleading. Come on now ETDP I know you're better than that clickbait shit.

Yea, the same thread was posted yesterday as well.

VariantX

51VZf3UTLcL.jpg

Much more popular than I remember.

joking of course :p

Dungeon Fighter Online got me interested, it looks like Dragon's Crown which is one of the best side scrollers of all time

I remember this shit, almost everyone in my class got this for christmas. Probably one of the hypest commercials for a toy in history.

zelas

That SuperData report was comparing digital revenues. And "biggest" to describe revenue when its already often used to describe platform units is an odd choice of words.

Morat

Banned
Its funny to me that as an avid PC gamer, I really don't play any of the games on that list. Still, that's the joy of the PC: there is room for all of us

mcz117chief

I remember this shit, almost everyone in my class got this for christmas. Probably one of the hypest commercials for a toy in history.

Us peasants of the Eastern Block never had these great toys :(

You lucky sods!

but with all the micro transaction money they spent they could have bought the valve complete pack probably lol.

Don't ever !!EVER!! ask me how much I spent on League of Legends.

Gurnlei

Showing the staying power of great games that's always updated. I've been playing a game for going on six years now and put in ~$50 a month into it.

You should know better than to copy paste the title of an article (especially one from Ars) without placing the name in front. Ie "Ars Technica: "PC is the biggest gaming platform."

Yes you did post the source but you completely ignored the elephant in the room in regards to the article and it's source; it is digital revenue only. The split for digital:retail on PC heavily skews the results in its favor.

Nah man CoD and GTAV ain't no joke on console. Their retail revenues are sure to be way up there.

It's misleading because the original title and article are misleading. They neglect to address the data bias of digital sales and instead make a claim of "biggest platform" based off of incomplete data. If you wanna say "biggest platform for digital revenues" sure that'd be fine but that's common sense at this point so it won't get those clicks.

accusing a thread on neogaf of being clickbait is ridiculous in the first place. clickbait is designed to bring in ad revenue with an intentionally vague yet drawing title. i'm not getting paid for this. i don't work for anyone related to this.

secondly, if you read the first article, it says

For some additional context, the worldwide market for console game software (which is still largely dependent on retail disc sales) was estimated at $25.1 billion, according to a NewZoo report. Even combining three major hardware platforms, console software still can't match the revenue-generating potential of PC games.

implying that it is, indeed, taking numbers from physical copies of the games.

Carlisle

Even with all the stories of WoW hemorrhaging subscribers it still raked in close to a billion last year alone? Jesus Herbert Christ Gonzales.

Edit: beaten by op... my shame...

l- i didn't bring up consoles, but retail console sales are not going to push them above the f2p digital pc revenue
this isn't "clickbait shit", nor is it "misleading". maybe it'd be easier to get a solid number on console physical sales and revenue if they were even published anymore.

Retail consoles sales numbers can easily push it above f2p digital revenue .
Games like COD or FIFA do 1 billion in retail sales WW .

joecanada

This is one of those threads that remind I'm getting old without realizing it.

From those games, I've never heard about CrossFire, Maplestory or Dungeon Fighter Online. And from the other seven, I'd only play GTAV and CS.

Yeah me too. I only know league exists because of funny twitch threads where everyone seems to play it.

noshten

Its funny to me that as an avid PC gamer, I really don't play any of the games on that list. Still, that's the joy of the PC: there is room for all of us

If you list the top ten blockbusters each year I'd probably seen one. Especially on PC with the amount of choice a person has the top 10 simply show which is the most popular and best monetized games on the platform.

In other news, Water is wet. Why are people surprised by this?

And people enjoy other things than you.

Also, since when is League of Legends or anything Valve makes not AAA-quality?

As much as I enjoy League, their client and game engine is antiquated. So is their F2P model. A huge part of Dota content is user generated now too.

RexNovis

Banned
accusing a thread on neogaf of being clickbait is ridiculous in the first place. clickbait is designed to bring in ad revenue with an intentionally vague yet drawing title. i'm not getting paid for this. i don't work for anyone related to this.

You basically copy pasted a click bait article which makes this thread an extension of the click baiting.

Have you looked at NewZoo's reports at all? Most of their stuff is about tracking views and users online and projecting future theoretical market/revenue caps. I've never seen anybody source then for revenue estimates before. That's likely for a good reason.

do you have sources on those numbers?
not saying i don't believe you, i'm genuinely curious to see

The new COD sold 7750k in physical sales in 2 months in the USA . (the data in the NPD thread )
So that is near 480 million in revenue missing from console if you take out physical sales from one country .
Note i am not saying consoles bigger than PC or PC bigger than consoles .
Just saying that taking out physical sales and then saying PC is the biggest gaming platform make no sense.
Not like it matter since the thread get merge .

orochi91

You basically copy pasted a click bait article which makes this thread an extension of the click baiting.

Have you looked at NewZoo's reports at all? Most of their stuff is about tracking views and users online and projecting future theoretical market/revenue caps. I've never seen anybody source then for revenue estimates before. That's likely for a good reason.

Edit: For some reason the graphs are locked behind a paywall when the link is opened via GAF.

The problem with console sales eclipsing F2P PC sales is that PC is getting it on a daily basis whereas console sales drop off rapidly after a month or so from a game's release.

Still, we can very clearly see from all this data that the gaming industry is healthy and going strong. That in itself is great news for anyone, no matter what fence you sit on.

Moreover, people always forget that you have to invest a big sum of money to generate that revenue annually for AAA games, while the F2P devs only need to create a good game once and let it run for a decade printing money. Perhaps put some numbers for updates here and there once in a while, which won't be that much.

You'll see different AAA games on consoles each year, while you can still see the same games on PC.

I remember playing Lineage during the first year of Diablo 2 and thinking daaaaaamn this game is ugly

Pretty awesome game though pretty much like the best parts of classic Diablo PKing, UO, and Shadowbane

orochi91

Can you rehost the image?

Unfortunately not, as the graph is permanently locked now (probably a timed thing).

However the console revenue estimate for 2015 was listed at $55 billion, which was the biggest on the list, as opposed to PC/Handheld/Mobile.

Here's a source that had similar estimates.

You must not know the drill:

Halo 5 only 800k at NPD Opening month: "What? NO! It must be minimum at 50% digital. (we know it did higher than normal 28% digital in opening month)
PC vastly outperforming on digital sales: "Of course it does, Console money is all in Retail."

The reality is: EA reports ~20% Digital. So 20 to 30% digital for a console title on release is the ballpark we currently see.

Oh, that's that then.

Wait

For some additional context, the worldwide market for console game software (which is still largely dependent on retail disc sales) was estimated at $25.1 billion, according to a NewZoo report. Even combining three major hardware platforms, console software still can't match the revenue-generating potential of PC games.

25 billion? 55 billion?I keep hearing way different numbers.
Which is which? I mean, I know you can't get concrete numbers, but what % is digital sales for consoles?

noshten

Moreover, people always forget that you have to invest a big sum of money to generate that revenue annually for AAA games, while the F2P devs only need to create a good game once and let it run for a decade printing money. Perhaps put some numbers for updates here and there once in a while, which won't be that much.

You'll see different AAA games on consoles each year, while you can still see the same games on PC.

F2P games are also riddled with the exploitation of whales, that far eclipse any spending a person can do on a console. Simply because certain games are notoriously anti-consumer in their design to exploit this demographic. A lot of the mobile/pc digital revenue is generated this way, but hopefully in time there would be more standardized warning for games employing such practices, which would be especially useful for parents. There also needs to be more information and materials about this. There would still be whales but at least they would hopefully be doing their spending knowingly, which is much better than the current situation.

orochi91

Oh, that's that then.

Wait

25 billion? 55 billion?I keep hearing way different numbers.
Which is which? I mean, I know you can't get concrete numbers, but what % is digital sales for consoles?

The one that " Enter the Dragon Punch" is quoting is from the Ars article, whereas the OP is from a separate article.

In the OP, console digital revenue is at ~$4bn.

The $55bn estimate for console revenue is Physical + Digital, perhaps even hardware.

Overall they estimate that $61 billion was spent on digital games last year. PC was the biggest platform with $32 billion spent followed by mobile with $25 billion and finally consoles at last with $4 billion. The article down include more details and commentary.

Wow looks like consoles are pretty irrelevant in the gaming industry overall

F2P games are also riddled with the exploitation of whales, that far eclipse any spending a person can do on a console. Simply because certain games are notoriously anti-consumer in their design to exploit this demographic. A lot of the mobile/pc digital revenue is generated this way, but hopefully in time there would be more standardized warning for games employing such practices, which would be especially useful for parents. There also needs to be more information and materials about this. There would still be whales but at least they would hopefully be doing their spending knowingly, which is much better than the current situation.

Why limit it to F2P games though?
We have microtransactions all over our $60 games as well nowadays.

noshten

Why limit it to F2P games though?
We have microtransactions all over our $60 games as well nowadays.

I'm totally with you on this, I didn't mean to single out F2P as the only type of game guilty of this but I believe they started the trend and have been the biggest offenders.
Also I don't think all F2P games are structured this way.

The one that " Enter the Dragon Punch" is quoting is from the Ars article, whereas the OP is from a separate article.

In the OP, console digital revenue is at ~$4bn.

The $55bn estimate for console revenue is Physical + Digital, perhaps even hardware.

Definitely even hardware. All the estimates I've ever seen for console software are around $25-30 billion, nowhere near $55 billion. This Gartner release even specifically mentions hardware in the very first paragraph and gives a $55 billion estimate for 2015-

The worldwide video game marketplace, which includes video game console hardware and software, online, mobile and PC games

One interesting thing from the Ars Technica article-

SuperData reckons free-to-play MMOs generated more than half of all PC gaming revenues in 2015 (£12 billion), with "social network-based gaming" taking another 25 percent of the total revenue haul (£5.6 billion).

Converting to DollarBux, that's around $17 billion on MMOs and $8 billion or so on social gaming. That leaves around $7-8 billion on the more 'traditional' game releases, plus a chunk for retail (10-20% extra maybe?). With all console platforms combined being around $25 billion that's still a healthy percentage (20-25%) even in an area where the PC is supposedly weak.

Rising_Hei

On a scale of 1 to 10: how much does this thread annoy you?

It doesn't annoy me, i play a lot on PC and have quite a collection on steam, but i find hard to dig this snoobish attitude some people have towards PC (PC Master race), instead of thinking more clearly

"PC" is bigger but it's not "one platform", you can't really compare it to another piece of hardware that has the same power on every unit and is managed by 1 company, they are different beasts; PC is many different environments put together at once and no one can capitalize that... it's much worse than on mobile, where something similar happens only that on an smaller scale

Console manage to exceel because they tend to do greatly with big AAA that are really expensive to make, less software than "PC" but the sales and experience is more focused and that also have its benefits. "PC" is getting good at this lately thanks to steam which manages to bring this kind of focused experience to "PC" (which is why we see some more console AAA coming now to steam); but it's clear that this "WW pwnage" of "PC" is thanks to ASIA, so it doesn't even affect us.

It's good that we can have different things.

Top Bottom