• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: The Top Earning Console/PC/Mobile Games of 2015 (Digital/Estimates)

s6CfN04.png

These are estimates so the data might not be all that accurate but interesting charts nonetheless. Overall they estimate that $61 billion was spent on digital games last year. PC was the biggest platform with $32 billion spent followed by mobile with $25 billion and finally consoles at last with $4 billion. The article down include more details and commentary.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/26/l...ossfire-drive-digital-games-to-61-3b-in-2015/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcpf3a3y5yuhjk9/SuperData Top 10 2015.xlsx?dl=0

Swarna

F2P doesn't count, I never heard of half those PC games, console AAA are the true money makers, GTA5 sold more on consoles, PC can't sell CoD or FIFA, etc etc.
Just getting that out of the way first. lol

patapuf

It's astonishing that lineage and maple story are still so big.

In fact GTA V is the newest game on the PC list lol. Talk about games with legs.

League of Legends: 2009
Crossfire: 2007
Dungeon fighters online: 2009
World of Warcraft: 2004
World of Tanks: 2010
Lineage 1: 1998 (!)
Maplestory: 2003
Dota 2: 2013 (beta in 2011)
CSGO: 2012
GTA V 2015

M.D

I never heard of this CrossFire game, it looks like a CS 1.6 clone and made over a billion dollars? Crazy

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's kind of funny seeing charts like this and then the general make-up of GAF.

No_Style

And people wonder why Konami doesn't give a damn about consoles when startups like Mixi with MonsterStrike rake in so much cash.

I wonder how many years PES has left seeing how it didn't even chart.

Keep in mind that's digital only.
I wonder how big of a gap there would be with console vs mobile if console physical sales were counted.

Didn't Fallout 4 make $750m in its first couple of days? And that's just Fallout. Don't think the gap would be that big.

Durante

Well it's moved 4 million copies on Steam alone (and it's sold off Steam as well) and it only rarely been on sale (and not for much off) so...
You're right, I didn't realize that it had done over 4 million all in 2015 (I somehow thought that it was out on PC for longer than that).

Also, CrossFire is the one PC game I literally only ever see in revenue charts.

Tagyhag

What the hell Dungeon Fighter and CrossFire?

What the HELL Clash of Clans?

Man those companies must be SWIMMING.

Pranay

I think the digital revenue are increasing more on the console side, when you add the physical , they are doing good as compared to mobiles

wazoo

Didn't Fallout 4 make $750m in its first couple of days? And that's just Fallout. Don't think the gap would be that big.

Console sales are physical sales mainly with inventory costs and tiers. Digital sales are pure money makers especially microtransactions with no overheads. Digital sales are very attractive to editors because the money they get is so much higher, it is pure profit. That is why Ubisoft with uplay and EA with origin are doing sales and rebate like crazy, the future is very bright for them.

Tagyhag

Man am I seemingly out of touch with the average gamer.

I don't know, all 3 platforms looks pretty standard for their average audience when it comes to popularity and money made.

Consoles: AAA Mainstream shooters and sport games

PC: MMO's and MOBA's

Mobile: F2P games with microtransactions

There's outliers sure but in general everything looks to be in order. Nothing has really changed from a few years ago.

The revenue is nuts though.

I never heard of this CrossFire game, it looks like a CS 1.6 clone and made over a billion dollars? Crazy

One of the 2 guys who made the original Counter Strike (as a Half Life mod), who was hired later by Valved, worked on CrossFire too. It's huge in Asia.

Disxo

What? that crossfire game didnt look like a massive money maker for me.

Hope Asia goes to the superior game soon.

Senhua

In before FTP games is no 'real' games argument.

CrossFire is very popular in Asia especially China.

Quonny

I helped that League number today by buying a skin for a champion I have never played and probably will never play.

gg me

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
a lot of these things are like YouTube stars -- never heard of them, but apparently they are super popular and are runaway successes.

i dont get how things like that fly under the radar. how can a game making 1 billion dollars not be known? CrossFire and Dungeon Fighter Online? What are these generic-sounding things?

Crossfire looks like a 2001 era game. What the hell am I missing? It must be doing something that no other game is. Cant just be F2P. o_O

viHuGi

Banned
League of Legends and Call of Duty are from another world, biggest franchises out there by huge margins.

But damn League of Legends is a gold mine and that mobile game just insanity.

Also God damn GTA doesn't stop.

Also Pc above Mobile, thank God for that.
earns over $32 billion annually, well above the $25.1 billion generated by mobile games

Bolivar687

Banned
I thought it was interesting that console and PC share only one title in their top tens, and bile overlaps with neither.

a lot of these things are like YouTube stars -- never heard of them, but apparently they are super popular and are runaway successes.

i dont get how things like that fly under the radar. how can a game making 1 billion dollars not be known? CrossFire and Dungeon Fighter Online? What are these generic-sounding things?

They're not flying under the radar per se. They're largely thriving in markets outside of the U.S.

Seel

Neo Member
I don't know, all 3 platforms looks pretty standard for their average audience when it comes to popularity and money made.

There's outliers sure but in general everything looks to be in order. Nothing has really changed from a few years ago.

The revenue is nuts though.

MMO is a generic term ,it basically means online games of any sort which includes MOBA . ;)

kiryogi

Banned
Bow down to our Mobage overlords, folks don't want to accept it, but the numbers don't lie. They're making triple what they do versus a console game.

orochi91

+1

orochi91

I'm more impressed at how WoW is still giving THAT much money to Blizzard.

I wonder how much it has left in the tank.

Subscriptions have been falling for a couple years now.

Holyshit at League of Legends. Dota 2 is nowhere close like i thought.

I've played DOTA quite a bit recently, but never really gave LoL a shot.

A lot of bad things are said about the LoL community though....

Top Bottom