• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.
dJyCGIa.gif
Too damn adorable.

Nobody will ever convince me that the superman actor would be the PERFECT plastic man

...unfortunatly the photoshops about it are not very good =P

tHDKaQS.jpg
That is a great idea.
No no no! he is the perfect Namor for MCU!!! Marvel cast him!
No. Zachary Quinto for Namor. He could sell the smarm so well.

Joni

Yeah. Apparently she didn't want to travel to Vancouver too often.

It is also why the show got 'cancelled' in the first place. She wanted it taped in Los Angeles where they couldn't get tax credit, so it was insanely expensive. Cutting Cat and moving to Vancouver gives them extra money to spend on effects.

Sober

Excited.

I am also fine with this Superman. I don't need buffgod Superman. I mean the dude can probably flick his finger at you and send you through a brick wall already.

zulux21

It is also why the show got 'cancelled' in the first place. She wanted it taped in Los Angeles where they couldn't get tax credit, so it was insanely expensive. Cutting Cat and moving to Vancouver gives them extra money to spend on effects.

I do wonder how much of a credit they got.
I mean canada wants programing so badly that they consider any anime dubbed in japan as a canadian show and are willing to help pay for it.

either way I am looking forward to the musical episode :p

Joni

I do wonder how much of a credit they got.
I mean canada wants programing so badly that they consider any anime dubbed in japan as a canadian show and are willing to help pay for it.

either way I am looking forward to the musical episode :p

I assume a lot considering how much CW films there. And then there is economy of scale for Berlanti who now has his four superhero productions together.

zulux21

I assume a lot considering how much CW films there. And then there is economy of scale for Berlanti who now has his four superhero productions together.

yeah. beyond that some of the more expensive effects have already been created so that will help going forward compared to starting on CW in the first place.

I mean i know it still costs a decent amount of money to do a manhunter scene, but it is cheaper than doing it all from scratch. same with costumes and props and what not.

I'm still torn if I want this to succeed though.
on one hand I didn't mind it.
on the other hand there are so many more interesting heroes we could use than a superperson and with no open slots it could be a while.

and given arrow is still rating higher than supernatural has since its 4th season, as long as there is no issues with cast it will likely be around for a while.
flash is trending even higher so yeah.
legends of tomorrow isn't rating as well but that is already a great way to introduce future heroes
which likely leaves iZombie as the most likely one to be cut for a new show as it wasn't pulling in great ratings and already had the season order reduced back to 13 episodes.

I am curious to see how super girl rates, but if I recall right super girl pulled in decent numbers during it's CW rerun even against the debate.

Joni

yeah. beyond that some of the more expensive effects have already been created so that will help going forward compared to starting on CW in the first place.

I mean i know it still costs a decent amount of money to do a manhunter scene, but it is cheaper than doing it all from scratch. same with costumes and props and what not.

I'm still torn if I want this to succeed though.
on one hand I didn't mind it.
on the other hand there are so many more interesting heroes we could use than a superperson and with no open slots it could be a while.

and given arrow is still rating higher than supernatural has since its 4th season, as long as there is no issues with cast it will likely be around for a while.
flash is trending even higher so yeah.
legends of tomorrow isn't rating as well but that is already a great way to introduce future heroes
which likely leaves iZombie as the most likely one to be cut for a new show as it wasn't pulling in great ratings and already had the season order reduced back to 13 episodes.

I am curious to see how super girl rates, but if I recall right super girl pulled in decent numbers during it's CW rerun even against the debate.

Supergirl succeeding is important. It is for having female superheroes succeed, it is to ensure that The CW thinks they should try more superheroes as well. If one show gets cancelled fast, they might think they should try something else.

zulux21

Supergirl succeeding is important. It is for having female superheroes succeed, it is to ensure that The CW thinks they should try more superheroes as well. If one show gets cancelled fast, they might think they should try something else.

I don't think there is any worry about them moving onto something else if a single one gets cancelled quickly. I mean they do so many DC shows because they are owned by the same company that owns DC. They have had many successes already and would just assume that one was a flop instead of them being out of a way to make a super hero show that sells.

I won't argue that female super heroes need a show though. I think Raven or zatanna would be far more interesting than super girl. though I did enjoy super girl more than I expected.

I also wouldn't mind a proper wonder woman series as it seems like there is a ton to her with deep lore/story lines that could make for a good series. but alas with the movie (that doesn't look very good to me) they likely wouldn't greenlight a wonder woman series any time soon.

to be fair I don't know a ton about supergirl either. I just in general don't like superman because he is super boring.

Joni

I don't think there is any worry about them moving onto something else if a single one gets cancelled quickly. I mean they do so many DC shows because they are owned by the same company that owns DC. They have had many successes already and would just assume that one was a flop instead of them being out of a way to make a super hero show that sells.

It is true that The CW is partially owned by Warner Bros, but it doesn't mean that there is a passthrough. Berlanti or any other television studio would still have to make a pilot and get it picked up. For an Arrowverse show, timing wise it would be difficult to get back on the air the next season. Shows typically get cancelled around May, so Berlanti would hear losing out on Supergirl at that point. Pilots typically get picked up around February, made around March-April. So they'd miss out at least a year, if CBS doesn't complain about the fact how lopsided CW has become.

I also wouldn't mind a proper wonder woman series as it seems like there is a ton to her with deep lore/story lines that could make for a good series.

The CW stopped their Wonder Woman series Amazon. CW picked up some major DC shows, but it has also tried and failed to develop some. Hourman is another that was dead in the waters. TNT - fully owned by Warner - couldn't get Titans to work. And HBO dismissed Preacher. And that would be assuming Warner even looks at their own network: Gotham and Lucifer got sold to Fox, Preacher to AMC, Krypton for Syfy, Constantine and Powerless to NBC. Both Warner Bros Television and The CW have choices, where dropping a single show might mean something else.

iZombie has the benefit of a lower budget and this time around it's mid-season again as it was in its first season, I imagine it'll be okay as long as the bottom doesn't drop out in its viewership numbers. I'll be worried if it comes back to well under a million viewers though I'm afraid it's going to drop below a .5 average in 18-49.

The first episode of the season was yesterday, right? Any signs of it being better than last season or any new hints of merging with the Arrowverse?

Joni

Okay, I see. So Supergirl has 22 episodes while Flash and Arrow maintain 23. Why doesn't Superior have 23?

Also, how are they scheduling it this year with Legends? Shoving in 10 weeks worth of breaks to match up the airing dates since Legends has 13 episodes this season?
Might be contracts which could have been shorter on CBS, might be that they just want Flash to start first so they need one episode less for Supergirl. Legends of Tomorrow will either be extended or taking of the air in March to launch Riverdale.

zulux21

Might be contracts which could have been shorter on CBS, might be that they just want Flash to start first so they need one episode less for Supergirl. Legends of Tomorrow will either be extended or taking of the air in March to launch Riverdale.

given the events of flash they likely just wanted/needed that to start first.
and thus only needed 22 episodes of super girl.

it's not a bad thing. from what we have seen most of these shows would be better with 13 episodes and less fillierish stuff in the middle.

Joni

given the events of flash they likely just wanted/needed that to start first.
and thus only needed 22 episodes of super girl.

it's not a bad thing. from what we have seen most of these shows would be better with 13 episodes and less fillierish stuff in the middle.

Supergirl is not impacted through Flashpoint. If they had gone Crisis like they were hinting at, yes, but not with Flashpoint considering she is in a separate universe. As for 13 versus 22, I always say and I will keep saying so: it is a lot more fun to see them have a lot of C/D list villains I have never heard of, and show how these heroes live their daily lives than it is to have 13 episode on one villain with little else. Legends of Tomorrow shined when it didn't get stuck on Vandal, and the Marvel shows get long in the teeth because they refuse to step away from their main plots.

Kuro

They're pretty fast and loose with the Kryptonite in S1 of Supergirl. They used kryptonite based bullets multiple times, so I'm sure they'll find plenty of fun ways to weaken Kara and Clark.

I hope we get another red Kryptonite episode this season. "Fallen" was probably my favorite episode of Supergirl Season 1

Hey at least it can't get as bad as Smallville where Kryptonite could be found in your backyard.

Finaika

Hey at least it can't get as bad as Smallville where Kryptonite could be found in your backyard.

Yeah I like that they're using kryptonite quite rarely in Supergirl, unlike Smallville where Clark gets weak in basically almost every episode lol.

That and the overuse of his Super Speed ability.

Yeah I like that they're using kryptonite quite rarely in Supergirl, unlike Smallville where Clark gets weak in basically almost every episode lol.

That and the overuse of his Super Speed ability.

I kind of wish that they canonized this Supergirl to not actually have super speed, because super speed beats out pretty much any other superpower. I think it's very hard to keep writing excuses for why Kara wouldn't just super speed out of literally every situation.

Joni

I kind of wish that they canonized this Supergirl to not actually have super speed, because super speed beats out pretty much any other superpower. I think it's very hard to keep writing excuses for why Kara wouldn't just super speed out of literally every situation.

They could claim she can go as fast as Barry, but she just needs more start-up time so she flies fast around the world but can't really go fast in fights.

They've already shown it though, her running with Barry to sling shot him and send him back and the other Kryptonians used it a bit.

Sölf

Ah, the thread is here, totally missed it. Subbed!

I really hope S2 starts out a bit better than S1. That really was a slog for the first ~8 episodes.

Supergirl boss goes in-depth about changes with show's move to CW

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/07/supergirl-season-2-cw-spoilers

While the show’s move from CBS to The CW won’t mean major plot changes, shifting production from L.A. to Vancouver will alter the show aesthetically — for the better. “It would’ve started to feel very small if we continued in L.A.,” EP Andrew Kreisberg says of the constraints of shooting largely in a studio versus having all of the outdoor locations the Canadian city offers. “That was one of the reasons we made the decision to move, so that we could get scope and go out in the streets. So yes, it might be a little rainy once in a while, and we might see her breath, but it’s going to be worth it because the show is actually going to feel bigger.”

The series is also excited to let its geek flag fly, homing in on comic-book-inspired elements rather than going broad for the CBS audience. “That was less a function of the [network] switch and more out of our own confidence in what we were doing,” Kreisberg says, noting that assuredness spilled over on one particular front. “Everybody had an opinion on what a female superhero should do, be, and say. We all got locked into answering that question a lot at the early stages.” Now that topic will be “shown more by example and less by speeches and dialogue.”

So much more at the link.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Supergirl boss goes in-depth about changes with show's move to CW

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/07/supergirl-season-2-cw-spoilers

So much more at the link.

Q: As revealed during The Flash-Supergirl crossover last year, Supergirl hails from a different universe. Are you planning on bringing Supergirl into our universe?

Not for her entire world, but Kara will be traveling from her dimension to our dimension, “our” being the world that The Flash, Arrow, and Legends lives in.

ehhh... what?

jobrro

That's pretty weird. Going to be pretty annoying if they need some elaborate setup to bring Supergirl to Earth 1 every crossover. Also even weirder bringing the Supergirl side characters to interact with Arrowverse characters, Flash is just going to speed 3 or 4 characters over to Earth 1? Was hoping Flashpoint was to make this stuff easier, would somewhat justify idiotic Barry.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I mean, does it really matter? It isn't like Oliver randomly shows up on Flash on regular basis, outside of crossovers. And the events that occur in one show don't really have any meaningful impact on the other. The logistics of writing and filming the shows just don't allow for a lot of that.

Supergirl operating in its own bubble until the crossover is essentially the same as how things work for the shows that do share a universe.

jobrro

It's been seeming like this was the case for months now? Are people surprised?

I'm shocked.

Shocked.

Well not that shocked.

But a little disappointed. Perfect opportunity to merge the universes at the perfect time, but they didn't use it.

Penguin

I prefer it over some forced way to say... nevermind same universe!

Granted, I do still think it will happen, but at least can build to it.

Remember how they randomly added Dawn to Buffy? It would have been funny if they did it like that and everyone acted like she was always a part of the Arrowverse.

Remember how they randomly added Dawn to Buffy? It would have been funny if they did it like that and everyone acted like she was always a part of the Arrowverse.

It still can happen! Barry keeps trying to fix things after Flashpoint and bam! Supergirl is in the same universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom