• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERHOT VR update removes "self harm" - "Considering sensitive time we’re living in, we can do better than that. You deserve better."

McCheese

What the developers don't seem to understand is whoever complains on Twitter doesn't buy the game. It's a bit sad the time we live in, a self-censorship to be well seen with our peers.

Nobody told the developer to remove it, they seemed to do it of their own accord, seems like lockdown anxiety is making them go a bit loopy. They never even updated or released any DLC for the game (which is almost 5 years old) then out of nowhere this update which deletes a couple of segments of the story. It's very odd.

I do not agree with this situation, everyone will complain about anything nowadays, you will never make everyone happy. The shitty games I made have a vision and the next one too. I won't compromise this to try to make everyone "happy". If I have a vision I will do it that way, people complain or not.

Deft Beck

Seems to be another dev comment.
From one of the devs
This is a valid point to which I have no answer. Yes, we did cut out a portion of the game, one of those that stirred some discussions.

However, I can personally ensure you that this wasn't really due to, how people on Steam like to put it, "snowflakes" forcing us. In all reality - there was no real outside force on us. This really was a decision driven by a feeling that the way the world looks now, the world in which we are and were to a large extent forced to separate from all other people and spend all of our time mostly alone, has changed the way this part of the game works. It's no longer just striking. We felt that people became a bit too lonely in general, to allow our game to incite this heavy depressive feeling. That there's just too much sadness to allow our game (something that should let you disassociate from the reality at least for a bit) drive people a little bit too far.

You know, I won't get into gritty details, but I personally really dislike how mental health institutions are portrayed in media. It's always so dark. It makes people feel like seeking help is equal to self-harm actually.
But in normal circumstances I can just, you know, appreciate the art. The story of, say, Lovecraftian horror. I can put my feelings about the social side of such portrayals aside.
Now, if the world was somehow under influence of a real mental health plague (there's no such thing, but let's imagine), I probably wouldn't be able to put my feelings aside like that.

And that's the thing. Lately there was just too much sadness and loneliness in the world, and we couldn't have predicted it when we made the game. But now the social context of those scenes has changed, so we took action.
Frankly, it's almost 1 AM in Poland here, so if I may - can I ask not to raise ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥? Discussion is fine, but not ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, please

This isn't a good excuse. People play much more violent material to destress and escape, but once the virtual gun is towards your head, it's not okay?

Don't use the pandemic lockdowns as an excuse, either.

Last edited:

mrabott

Nobody told the developer to remove it, they seemed to do it of their own accord, seems like lockdown anxiety is making them go a bit loopy. They never even updated or released any DLC for the game (which is almost 5 years old) then out of nowhere this update which deletes a couple of segments of the story. It's very odd.
Ah, I undertand now. It's strange to chop parts just because they feel some people might be trigered from them.

ShadowLag

In all reality - there was no real outside force on us. This really was a decision driven by a feeling that the way the world looks now,

Total contradiction right at the start. They claim that cutting the content wasn't due to outside forces, yet in the very next sentence say it was driven by "the way the world looks now", which is an outside force.

Last edited:
"You cant kill yourself in the game anymore. Thats immoral."

"...but you can shoot allllllll these people that show up in front of you though."

yeah GIF by One Chicago

Perrott

Gold Member
This is pathetic from an artistic standpoint and also completely pointless when it comes to suicide prevention.

The kind of people the developers are trying to "protect" with this sort of measure are unfortunately beyond saving, I mean, someone who would go as far as killing themselves in real life after experiencing this now deleted sequence in SUPERHOT VR is most probably someone who was going to kill themselves anyway at that point, SUPERHOT or not.

Im offended. Cause I struggle with mild suicidal thoughts.

im offended youre offended. Cancel the game.

Just give the game a M rating. And a warning label. Teens shouldnt be playing games about killing themselves, less in VR. But here we have adults crying about how their “art” experience is ruined. Suicide being a gameplay element so fucking weird.

Either way I dont care. There isnt solutions to anything anymore. Just who bitches loudest.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I remember having this game idle on my xbox one. And achieivement called Dudes came up. So it said SUPERHOT DUDES on my tv screen.

My girlfriend who didn't know it was a game said "Why are you watching Super Hot Dudes Kyle? Is there something your not telling me?"

I am like i am straight I swear. Its a video game.

Keihart

I mean, the update feels pointless and kinda stupid but at the same the same time....it was the dev decision so what gives?

Also, i can't be dumb enough to pretend the devs didn't want the attention and some response with this update. The toggle was clearly enough to make the game "accessible", hell, put a disclaimer in there which forces you to set the toggle to what you prefer, but patching shit out of the game was obviously a move to rock the boat and either gain some free outrage coverage or some virtue signaling retweets.

People getting outraged are just getting baited, the best you can do in this case is just ignore the dev or some shit if you disapprove with the cut content.

MrFunSocks

Banned
More pandering to the SJWs. Everything is offensive to some people because they like the attention that they can get from being offended.

What a stupid decision by the devs. What was wrong with having a toggle?

Imagine if tomorrow naughty dog decides there’s too Much violence in the world and removes all killing from uncharted and the last of us? Now you just run around and cuddle people and whisper sweet nothings in their ears until they peacefully fall asleep.

Oh and you have to ask for consent before doing so to every character. Can’t forget that!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wouldn't something like this have been people's main fear when digital games were becoming a more popular thing?
That you could buy your game digitally and the automatic updates could change the game without your consent.
Even physical copies won't be immune to this has the version 1.0 can just be buggy as hell so you need to update.
Wow. I can't believe that a developer would do this post-launch and I wonder how far they could take it before they got some real serious backlash.
Don’t turn on auto update then?

zeorhymer

What a weird thing to do. Changing past creations for "today's lens." They're mocking the customer's intelligence and baby-ifying any future customers. Dr. Seuss, LOTR, Lovecraft and others have already pulled because of the "sensitive times" we're living in.

Did they just suicide themselves to prevent us from suiciding ourselves?

giphy.gif

Or more appropriately:

giphy.gif

(it's more topical and in line with my thoughts on the matter)

What a stupid way to back pedal on something, what do they mean by "we can do better", this is one of they sentences dirtied by the woke.
However, I can personally ensure you that this wasn't really due to, how people on Steam like to put it, "snowflakes" forcing us. In all reality - there was no real outside force on us. This really was a decision driven by a feeling that the way the world looks now, the world in which we are and were to a large extent forced to separate from all other people and spend all of our time mostly alone, has changed the way this part of the game works. It's no longer just striking. We felt that people became a bit too lonely in general, to allow our game to incite this heavy depressive feeling. That there's just too much sadness to allow our game (something that should let you disassociate from the reality at least for a bit) drive people a little bit too far.
This kind of reflection is exactly how censure work, the actual censors rarely have to come on, people do all the work beforehand by rationalizing it (those who get caught are just too socially inept to understand the dynamics).

TaroYamada

This is a dangerous precedent in terms of removing content from an established, purchased product. This is not established practice for updates like bug fixes, improvements, etc.

Really I don't consider it much different than theft from the userbase. Imagine your theatrical cuts of movies on Vudu or whatever being replaced with a directors cut with a complete loss of access to the theatrical. Not ok.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Don't cut mechanics, stories, characters, jokes or any such content from your game post release, especially if it's years post release and you've gone woke or caving to mob pressure.

Should be included in game development books and courses by now.
It is common sense, but that is in short supply these days.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's this? Virtue signaling and pandering to a non-existing userbase by removing content doesn't sit well with your actual userbase? No way, who would've thought?

Worst part is they probably actually thought they would be praised for a move like this. How sad.

CfqtOwD.gif

Get fucked.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Wtf? Isn’t this a Polish studio?

Trying to pretend they are Silicon Valley / California

Grow a spine stop treating fans like helpless retards you retards.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I still haven't played the original SUPERHOT, I know that now I definitely won't and it's off my wishlist.

Censoring or removing content post-launch because of pandering/being pressured by certain groups/whatever is unacceptable. I hope that some people will try to get a refund.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Seems to be another dev comment.
From one of the devs
This is a valid point to which I have no answer. Yes, we did cut out a portion of the game, one of those that stirred some discussions.

You know, I won't get into gritty details, but I personally really dislike how mental health institutions are portrayed in media. It's always so dark. It makes people feel like seeking help is equal to self-harm actually.
But in normal circumstances I can just, you know, appreciate the art. The story of, say, Lovecraftian horror. I can put my feelings about the social side of such portrayals aside.
Now, if the world was somehow under influence of a real mental health plague (there's no such thing, but let's imagine), I probably wouldn't be able to put my feelings aside like that.

And that's the thing. Lately there was just too much sadness and loneliness in the world, and we couldn't have predicted it when we made the game. But now the social context of those scenes has changed, so we took action.
Frankly, it's almost 1 AM in Poland here, so if I may - can I ask not to raise ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥? Discussion is fine, but not ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, please
Go play super Mario land if looking for happy and fruity. This comment is as useless as the self censorship itself.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The people who just had to be SO OFFENDED are dumb, the devs who fell for that pressure and removed the feature are dumb, and the people who then review bombed them for removing it are dumb. Just dumb people all around.

I personally found it to be a cool moment, as I'm able to separate fiction from reality. The toggle was fine.

Shmunter

The people who just had to be SO OFFENDED are dumb, the devs who fell for that pressure and removed the feature are dumb, and the people who then review bombed them for removing it are dumb. Just dumb people all around.

I personally found it to be a cool moment, as I'm able to separate fiction from reality. The toggle was fine.
In this case the review's are from legit customers right? Nothing wrong with a genuine consumer revolt imho.

So the dev feels lonely etc and removes content from a game against every owner's will (thankfully I didn't buy this). So you can't shoot yourself because of loneliness but you can go and shoot every cunt else in the game regardless of loneliness. Wouldn't you be lonely if you shot everyone else in the game? How about give them flowers or a hug instead. The developer should go seek mental therapy rather than forcing his loneliness on everyone else.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In this case the review's are from legit customers right? Nothing wrong with a genuine consumer revolt imho.

It doesn't really make the game any worse though. I don't really agree with removing it, but it doesn't make me not want to play the game again.

Top Bottom