• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superior Devil May Cry 4 Official Thread (new VIDEO 4/24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoorays for map integration!

So, I'm playing through Devil May Cry 1 for the first time. DMC3:SE was the first one I ever bought and played.

I think DMC1 is harder. But that's probably the lack of skill talking.

So I'm thinking of playing some of the Devil May Cry games, since I didn't get a PS2 until 2005 (I was strictly a Nintendo fan at the time...I know, I know.)

Anywho, I've heard that DMC 2 is not so good, so should I start with DMC 1 or DMC 3? Also, isn't there a remake of 3, or is that 1?

I'm planning on getting DMC 4 for the 360 because it just looks great, so I thought it would be a good idea to catch up on the series.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Play DMC1 first to get the basics down, because DMC3 is rather difficult for first-timers. once you have finished DMC1 give DMC3 a go. DMC3 has a lot more variety and is more challenging than DMC1, but the first game will always be a special game to me since it was the first in the series.

Dave1988

Taken from the IGN DMC board:

Ok, so I was today in my way to see 300 in the cinema and noticed the new number of "Hobbyconsolas" had a new DMC4 cover, so I got interested and bought it the big surprise is that it includes a exclusive interview to Kobayashi and Itsuno performed by one of the members of the staff, Hobbyconsolas is the most well know videogame magazine here in Spain.

I assure you this is TRUE, if you want more detailed info I'll tell you it's Hobbyconsolas number 187 pages 58-65, webpage here http://www.hobbypress.com/html/fondos/PUBLICACIONES/HOBBYCONSOLAS/MICROSITE/index.html you can even see the cover in the frontapage.

Now to the juicy stuff, there's nothing much new however there are some pieces of info that got me...

First about Dante, it seems he's amnesic, yeah you hear well, I'll translate the part where it is said:

HC: ¿Wich role will Dante play within the game?

Kobayashi:You'll see.When you play it you'll realize why Dante it's not the hero anymore and why Nero is in his place etc...
Itsuno: After "DMC3" we found a problem:
¿What will the players think of a much weaker Dante after the power he got in "DMC3"? in many cases, as in games as in movies the best trick is "amnesia"
Kobayashi:Yeah, think of Dante losing his memory after a very strong succes...and the fun it is he's forgotten even about holding a sword.

That's the most important thing concerning the storyline there is, other stuff has been mntioned before other interesting things to note:

-They said several times the game is meant to please the fans and get new audience but remarked the difficulty will be high to please hardcore fans.
-They said various times to it is important to own a HD TV and 5.1 to enjoy the game to it's full (visual) extent
-The game will be instalable into PS3 (and provabely Xbox360) hard disk and the loading time will be of about 3-4 seconds, barely inexistant
-The game it's completed about 50%
-The interaction with the scenaries or the puzzles will be little they want to center the game about the fun of the combat experience

I know it's not much but better than nothing, anyways I will take another look and if I find something good I'll add it

Amnesia?

90534421qj3.jpg

AAK

Doesn't change anything. This isn't MGS.

DMC isn't about the story/characters. It is about the gameplay, and that is all that will define DMC4.

And it'll add another layer to the signature cheesiness the DMC games adopt.

comrade

Reno said:
Play DMC1 first to get the basics down, because DMC3 is rather difficult for first-timers. once you have finished DMC1 give DMC3 a go. DMC3 has a lot more variety and is more challenging than DMC1, but the first game will always be a special game to me since it was the first in the series.
I've been playing DMC3 for months and it's still hard. I don't even mess with DMD mode. I'm a Very Hard kinda guy.

I'm glad we get a new character in DMC4. I can't even use Dante anymore in 3 because of how much I use Vergil. I can SS Very Hard with Vergil and I get B's with Dante on the same level. It's sad.

There is a special edition of DMC3, it's not so much a remake.

And I don't think they say Dante has "amnesia" persay, it's more along the lines that movies explain the lack of previous knowledge power via amnesia, Dante on the other hand just won't be playable from the outset.

If you can play as Dante, it'll be a new game +, with a maxed out character.

EDIT: You can install this on PS3 HDD? Good call. Wonder if you can do the same on the Xbox 360?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
C- Warrior said:
There is a special edition of DMC3, it's not so much a remake.

And I don't think they say Dante has "amnesia" persay, it's more along the lines that movies explain the lack of previous knowledge power via amnesia, Dante on the other hand just won't be playable from the outset.

If you can play as Dante, it'll be a new game +, with a maxed out character.

EDIT: You can install this on PS3 HDD? Good call. Wonder if you can do the same on the Xbox 360?

So DMC 4 will load faster on the ps3 than on the 360, because it will utilize the harddrive?

neojubei said:
So DMC 4 will load faster on the ps3 than on the 360, because it will utilize the harddrive?

No, not necessarily.

The interivew is a print interview, so it was likely done before the port announcement.

It says you can install the game on PS3 HDD, it makes no mention of either yes/no for the same on the 360. So its still up in there air. However, because not all 360 owners have an HDD, I think there is a possiblility Capcom might not bother to code for something that some people have and don't have.

the thoroughbred said:
I really do want to buy this game, but I am just that much against buying a PS3. Oh well I guess I will have to play this on a friends PS3.

dude just hang on tight for the inevitable wii port

Ronin said:
Looks great. How many episodes are there supposed to be?

Not sure, just know that its going to be on the WOWOW network and that the guys behind it were involved with some other pretty good series as well.

slade

Thirteen episodes. Trailer looks okay but I expected more story elements from the games. Aside from Dante, it looks very little like the DMC we know.

slade said:
Thirteen episodes. Trailer looks okay but I expected more story elements from the games. Aside from Dante, it looks very little like the DMC we know.

I was thinking the same thing. It should be quality stuff given the studio working with it but aside from Dante and Trish, there doesn't seem to be any other references to previous DMC works. But we could be wrong, I can barely even hear the audio in that trailer.

Capcom's DMC4 website gets updated every friday right after a famitsu showing. This coming fri., they should update the website with direct-feed shots of the scans and a video of this trailer hopefully.

AAK said:
Official site has been dead since God knows when. I don't think we'll get an update until E3.

The last time they updated (back in Jan) they mentioned that the next update would be in Spring, so I wouldn't be suprised if we see something this friday.

slade

C- Warrior said:
I was thinking the same thing. It should be quality stuff given the studio working with it but aside from Dante and Trish, there doesn't seem to be any other references to previous DMC works. But we could be wrong, I can barely even hear the audio in that trailer.

Was that little blonde girl Trish? I thought so too but that is nothing like the Trish we know from the games. Hopefully they are not going to try playing the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' cliche.

slade said:
Was that little blonde girl Trish? I thought so too but that is nothing like the Trish we know from the games. Hopefully they are not going to try playing the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' cliche.

The little blonde girl isn't Trish. I only say Trish because the character name and voice actor is listed on the anime's webpage. There were one or two other female names listed as well, the little girl could be one of them.

Finally something new about the anime, I really like the art style from the look of it so far. They didn't seem to want to show too much action though, hopefully it turns out well. Any idea when it will air?

Dahbomb

People need to stop freaking out about the amnesia bit. It's like how DMC1 Dante "forgot" all his Style moves that he had in DMC3, since that game comes AFTER DMC3. For the sake of the game, Dante has to "re-learn" all his moves from DMC3 to make it a progressive. There is no fun in playing an overpowered fully equipped Dante.

*Watching anime trailer now*

Great art/animation and lots of blood/gore in it. Definitely aimed at older audiences, and I am guessing the cheese is reduced as well. The demon designs look like something out of Guyver (Zoanoids) but oh well, they will not have that much screen time so it doesn't really matter. It doesn't seem canon but it still seems like a good solid, dark and violent anime to watch.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
People need to stop freaking out about the amnesia bit. It's like how DMC1 Dante "forgot" all his Style moves that he had in DMC3, since that game comes AFTER DMC3. For the sake of the game, Dante has to "re-learn" all his moves from DMC3 to make it a progressive. There is no fun in playing an overpowered fully equipped Dante.

*Watching anime trailer now*

Its still the stupidest shit ever, and such a cop-out. Come up with something creative, other than a tired cliched used in to many movies. Capcom did this a grand total of one time, and it was refreshing.

I'm a fan of the games, but, come on. The only reason Dante forgot anything is because DMC1 was created first, and they didn't have all of that stuff pieced together yet.

One thing I HATE, in all mediums of entertainment, is this cliche, when it isn't done right. I doubt, they will be able to pull this off right.

Dahbomb

Oldschoolgamer said:
Its still the stupidest shit ever, and such a cop-out. Come up with something creative, other than a tired cliched used in to many movies. Capcom did this a grand total of one time, and it was refreshing.
For god's sakes stop trying to worry about it and read it more closely:

What will the players think of a much weaker Dante after the power he got in "DMC3"? in many cases, as in games as in movies the best trick is "amnesia"?
Kobayashi:Yeah, think of Dante losing his memory after a very strong succes...and the fun it is he's forgotten even about holding a sword.

It's more like how a football player in his prime used to be amazing and after 10-15 years of rather dull activity he has "forgotten" how to play football, yet because of his experience he will re-learn everything he learned before and then some. This is the same thing, there is no ACTUAL amnesia that Dante has, just rust on the good ol' Rebellion.

Greg

Wasn't sure where to post it...

Just got my new issue of PSM in the mail - DMC4 is on the cover, and there is a 16-page feature inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom