• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERMAN™ - Earth Sized Open-World Game in Unreal Engine 5 | Fan Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

geary

Imagining Open World "SuperMan" Game with Earth Sized Map! it's a long time that said an open world game based on SuperMan is under development by Rocksteady and Warner Bros, in this video we tried to imagine this possible Game in Unreal Engine 5 with High End Graphics Features Such as Ray Tracing, Lumen, Nanite and More A game in which you can leave the planet at any moment and move quickly through it It may be unlikely that this game will happen, but it is possible to imagine it

tkscz

Cool concept but if I'm playing Superman and can fly through a full sized earth, I'm going to do it that way vs leaving Earth and coming back down.

Also, Rocksteady is working on a Superman game?

Madflavor

The solution for a Superman game to work is to have you play as a young Clark Kent who just moved to Metropolis and is still learning and growing his powers. Metropolis should be huge and act as your main hub to do activities and side missions. Main story missions can occur in other places Warworld, Atlantis, Brainiacs ship, or wherever, but you always return to Metropolis between them. By the end of the game you should be able to zip and fly at breakneck speeds and be powerful as fuck, but at least there will be a progression up to that point and you'll have to earn your way to it.

Batman has had plenty of games, and Wonder Woman is getting her first big game too. There's ways around Superman's powers and soon they'll be running out of excuses as to why we still don't have a AAA Superman game.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

absolutely-trash-michael-kupris.gif

stn

It is overdue. Superman is weak to magic and kryptonite, so you can give enemies those weapons and powers to explain why Superman can't just go beat the crap out of everyone and everything. Easy.

GymWolf

So people have no problem with spidey (who can lift several tons and stop a fucking train) doing 20x hit combos on simple humans in sony spidey but somehow superman doing the same would be too much??

Give some stupid explanation like criminals now have super armours made of fucktonium and superman can't easily beat their ass anymore, easy peasy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I like how his red tarp (cape?) behaves exactly the same on Earth as it does in space.

Seriously though, great job to the developer showing us how flight might work. The one thing that didn’t need solving in a Superman game.

The only way a superman game works is with kryptonite shield over a city, weakening him to at least aquaman levels. Also this demo sucks

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The actual Superman game is going to reimagine Superman as a racially-ambiguous womyn with an under shave haircut who constantly talks to herself and makes witty comments in blaccent.

Shubh_C63

Superman on Earth is boring.

If the game ever has to exist make Superman teen portal to another world (past-kriptonian etc) with fantasy buildings and completely destructible mountains. Restrict flight to looong jumps, take inspiration from DBZ games, Share 5 worlds where string of missions only end once EVERYTHING and entire planet is obliterated by Superman.

You can bring different biomes, different heights and structures to dwarf Superman-teen insane OP flight. And make it arkham combat-esque basically. Final mission is Superman turning Dark and Suicide Squad gets to kill Superman.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think a Superman game where he’s married to Lois Lane would work.

You’re invincible to anything in the game, but after saving Earth/a cat in a tree/burning building/etc you have to be back to your home, dressed, and ready to go out to dinner before a timer runs out.

Or you’ve got several items to pick up at the grocery store as Clark Kent, and have to memorize exactly which ones she wanted. Was it Baking Soda or Baking Powder??

Did you leave the seat up?

You have to listen to Lous drone on about her day, and afterwards she questions if you were listening? You then have to answer questions as to what she was talking about.

Pissing off Lois results in a failed mission. Boom done! No redundant Kryptonite or silly Magic nonsense. Just don’t suck as Clark Kent.

Last edited:
The transitions are awfull and make the whole thing meh. No Man's Sky and Outer wilds are more impressive than this.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Cool concept but if I'm playing Superman and can fly through a full sized earth, I'm going to do it that way vs leaving Earth and coming back down.

Also, Rocksteady is working on a Superman game?

I don't think so, no. Unless there's been an announcement i'm not aware of.

Either way I want a Superman game, it's been a long time since the goat: Superman 64

It's fake, ugly, filtered Unreal asset store flip.
This channel releases this piece of shit consent weekly.
It's bad. Looks bad and it's offensive, how stupid it is.

Yuuup. I love that it's "open world," but every time they have to transition from Earth > space > moon there is a cut to disguise the fact that they loaded in a completely new level.

digdug2

Yuuup. I love that it's "open world," but every time they have to transition from Earth > space > moon there is a cut to disguise the fact that they loaded in a completely new level.
Many "open world" games require loading screens or have the player squeeze through a crack so the new area can load in the background. Is Skyrim any less open world because there are loading screens? How about Elden Ring?

CamHostage

Many "open world" games require loading screens or have the player squeeze through a crack so the new area can load in the background. Is Skyrim any less open world because there are loading screens? How about Elden Ring?

The description on the video outlines the project as "Open World "SuperMan" Game with Earth Sized Map! " That's not what this demo is. It's a City map, it's a Moon map, and it's a Jungle map. (It's possible that the demo could hide its transitions better than those whirlpool-out swaps they use in this video, but even if that was cleaned up, the scale of the "Earth Sized Map" is massively, massively contracted, not at all comparable to something like Flight Sim's representation of the globe... which is obviously how this would have to work, given that FS uses several petabytes of terrain data.)

Whether it'd be a good idea in general to have a planet-sized world for a Superman game is a different thing (although anybody who understands anything about game design would say this would be a bad direction, given that it's hard enough scheduling enough tasks and challenges and variety in a city-sized map.) But this is not that.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m on board with a super man game all the excuses, flying mechanics, powers just seem like bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom