• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERMAN VS BATMAN delayed until May 6th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I hope by cliffhangers they mean more stuff like the Joker tease at the end of BB and less shit like Superman and Doomsday running at each other, about to duke it out, and then the screen goes black and "To Be Continued." appears in white text.

Dram

Maybe the cliffhangers will just lead into the next movie? Like the cliffhanger to Batman\Superman will lead into the Wonder Woman, whose cliffhanger would then lead into the Flash movie.

So, News?

I'm told by my source, that the marketing campaign for Batman Vs. Superman will still be starting up this year. Photo releases can be expected in the coming months and a viral site will be launched with a "choose your side" angle. That's about it. In the near future, be on the lookout for official casting news pertaining Joaquin Phoenix, Jason Momoa (despite his denials) and Josh Holloway.

Source

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=93171

oh fuck that. they're actually going through with that shit? jesus.

Joaquin Phoenix as Lex though, aww yiss

Pachinko

Anyone else feel like DC should have simply waited a couple years after DKR to go full swing into things ?

Make a normal , traditional Superman movie for this summer instead of last summer and have it be closer to a remake of the first christopher reeve film. Superman , standing for the ideal of hope and justice , etc etc. Ignore Krypton in every way outside of opening the movie with pa kent finding the capsule. Had they waited until this summer, it would have been close to a 40 year gap in time. That's an acceptable amount. Sign the lead actor to a 6 picture deal while you're at it. Call the film Super Man : The Man of Steel if you must. Just set him Clark/supers up as a character that no one knows instead of making him a violent space alien. Put Lex in there as a bad guy. Make it 115 minutes long. Print Money.

So if this was say a May 2014 movie , release something else in July. Something that hasn't been done before - perhaps a Martian Manhunter movie ? Tie it into the same movie universe, have John be the alien that crashed in the roswell incident. Make it a pulpy murder mystery where he isn't revealed to be the alien until much later in the movie, perhaps he's trying to outrun government agents the whole time ? Either way, you could have bits of his martian past riddled throughout the film in nightmares or something and in the end he earns a friend in the government that helps keep him hidden from other prying eyes. The epilogue would tie him into the superman movie by allowing him to exist in the modern world , the bulk of the story would be set sometime in the 50's or 60's. Even something as simple as him being in a bar somewhere watching a news report about superman saving metropolis. The budget could be smaller here because John wouldn't need to go full martian or do anything VFX intensive outside of the brief flashbacks scattered throughout the film. His shape shifting abilities could be contained to morphing into various people.

Then, in 2015 you again release 2 movies. One in May/June and the other in November. The summer film should be either wonder woman or flash, needs to be something fun basically. Flash is actually a really fun character but I'm not sure he could carry an entire film that well, mostly because his rogues gallery sucks. Wonder woman as a film could work almost the same way as Thor. You spend half the film in Themiscrya showing her growing up, being trained as a warrior but in order to not feel like a total knock off , there'd need to be a villain from greek mythology for her to fight rather then just a sibling. Tie it in to normal people by having a human love interest. It could work I think. The November film I speak of should be another stab at green lantern as a film franchise. Use Kyle Raynor or John stewart to differentiate it from the 2011 film and make damn sure it's good. Hell if you wanted it to be real interesting, go for guy gardner!

Finally, 2016 rolls around. It's now time to complete the puzzle. New batman film , this one would NOT be an origin story. Instead, batman is already established and is perhaps pitted against a few villians at once. Frequent small references to the previous 4 set up films would be utilized in the background, as though batman is aware of these other events but they haven't affected gotham city but otherwise this would be a standalone batman adventure just to establish him in the same universe.

The second 2016 movie would be Super Man : The Last Son of Krypton. This would basically be a remake of superman 2, much as man of steel actually was. There wouldn't be a need to involve kansas in the back story though, start on krypton to tell how superman made it to earth and explain zods origins. Don't have pa kent get eaten by a tornado in a stupid fashion and don't have 65 minutes of DBZ esque fight scenes. Have the same heroic superman be in this film and instead of being a murderer , he's a savior. The key element of this plot is that the earth itself needs to be in peril but somehow , superman barely saves the day and the resolution needs to be - gee there's a whole universe out there, superman might need to have help in case something bigger shows up. And so, when the epilogue wraps up , it should show all the previous heroes getting a message from superman to meet up somewhere to form a collective group.

Finally, in 2017 the first Justice League film opens. I can picture a plot that starts with atlantis making contact with humanity and aqua man becomes part of it to stop some all encompassing threat to earth that he was made aware of. To be different from avengers , I don't think it should be some generic alien invasion. But hey, what about Starro ? that way you can still have heroes beating each other up as they get brainwashed. Nothing says justice league like a godzilla sized star fish taking on all the heroes at once right?

After this, you could initiate a "phase 2" not unlike marvels. If the wonder woman, Martian manhunter or green lantern and batman films were succesfull then make a some sequels. Also, I think a flash movie would fit in nicely by this point in time. You could set it after the starro invasion and , in the wake of that destruction witnessed worldwide , many people around the world are starting to feel inadequate. One Wally West, a graduate student in the field of forensics is one such person. An accident at a university lab gifts him with super speed powers and he uses them to save the day etc. I'm not sure which of his cheesy villains should show up or how but he needs someone. They could end the movie with him getting into the justice league.

I'm not sure how feasible any of that is but DC seems intent on fast tracking all of this stuff. The delay really looks like a case of doing a rewrite to make 1 film into 2 films. Superman VS Batman followed a year later by Justice League Trinity. If they end up being well received I think you'll get a singular wonder woman film and perhaps some other characters later on.

cdkee

Banned
Phoenix as Lex...never considered it before but he would be great. He would totally be able to capture that controlled obsession, madness almost, of Superman.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Joaquin as Lex is just godly casting. Would be the best comic book movie villain since ledger's joker easily.

I actually think it would be a bad idea. Phoenix is great, but as Lex he'd be a nuisance. Remember that contemporary renditions have Lex as the human superman. After Gladiator, Phoenix is forever doomed to be the whiny, snake type of villain.

Hero

I don't know where TDKR would have ended up or if it would have done much better but lets not act like the tragedy which was a huge national event didn't affect its run. It happened opening weekend was all over the news. The movie was linked with it for quite some time.

Keep also in mind that while Avengers and movies like it play better across the world (the heavy action and affects work), Batman's primary source of box office return is domestic. Its remarkable to me that two darker and grittier Batman movies (compared to other comic book movies) without the help of 3D managed to do more than a billion. Even more remarkable that somehow people think this isn't enough, that the people soured on the brand, and or somehow this means DC is losing.

And lets also not minimize the tragic even itself. I went with a huge group of friends that opening weekend for a Sat night show. Some of them, and myself included, did take quick glances at the side exits and doors any time a scene with heavy firing came on screen. It scared a lot of people away from theaters for a while.

So what is Green Lantern's excuse for sucking?

BadAss2961

Joaquin as Lex is just godly casting. Would be the best comic book movie villain since ledger's joker easily.
Yet many people raged over Ledger being cast.
I actually think it would be a bad idea. Phoenix is great, but as Lex he'd be a nuisance. Remember that contemporary renditions have Lex as the human superman. After Gladiator, Phoenix is forever doomed to be the whiny, snake type of villain.

I think he's well beyond being pegged down as one type of villain. I'm not a Lex fan at all, but Phoenix is the kind of actor that could make him interesting.

1y1avjt.jpg

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Joaquin Phoenix is one of the greatest actors working today. He's not forever doomed to be anything.

LosDaddie

Banned
Man every Superman vs Batman thread turns into a DC/Marvel shitfest. The official Superman vs Batman thread is gonna be a bloodbath.

The DC crowd really took it hard when Avengers was so successful. They were so confident that TDKR would trump it at the BO. The Avengers vs TDKR thread was a great read back in 2012. :)

Joaquin Phoenix is one of the greatest actors working today. He's not forever doomed to be anything.

Eh, he's ok at best. Nothing great.

I just don't like how either Lex has to be powered up, or Supes to be powered down to make the movie interesting.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Lex Luthor as the main villian? Fuck that.

no thats good gives batman something to be a detective about and later on when some scheme is unleashed , gives superman some technology to punch and , both of them will have some people to save which is what supes does best.

inm8num2

Total reinvention for the screen, eh? Between that and Kevin Smith's earlier love for it, I'm really curious to see what they've done.

DaveH

This comes from the woman who thought Elektra was a good movie.
I don't know about that...
XFINITY Entertainment Editors said:
Jennifer Garner on 'Elektra'
Jennifer Garner never actually trash-talked the movie “Elektra” herself, but then-boyfriend Michael Vartan told Us Weekly that the actress thought the movie was "awful" and that she only did it because it was a clause in her “Daredevil” contract. Sadly for Vartan, Garner soon broke their relationship off. Coincidence?

LOL You think Snyder is going to back out of this? Him of all people?

I think this movie won't even be made. Let alone be a good movie if it ever is. WB and DC don't know what they want on screen. If they have a vision for a DCU film franchise its being built on some weak foundation (MoS)

jett

D-Member
I think this movie won't even be made. Let alone be a good movie if it ever is. WB and DC don't know what they want on screen. If they have a vision for a DCU film franchise its being built on some weak foundation (MoS)

You so crazy. This movie is Snyder's meal ticket.

ReiGun

The DC crowd really took it hard when Avengers was so successful. They were so confident that TDKR would trump it at the BO. The Avengers vs TDKR thread was a great read back in 2012. :)

Eh, he's ok at best. Nothing great.

I just don't like how either Lex has to be powered up, or Supes to be powered down to make the movie interesting.

like how you call people salty when this reeks of marvel jealousy. ok at best, nothing great. lmao okay.

phoenix da gawd. his performance in her is one of the best this year.

Dysun

People lose their minds when it comes to this movie. I mean really, you think they aren't going to make this? You are delusional
It might be total shit, but bet your house and your family that it will be made

Blader

I cannot imagine Phoenix actually agreeing to this. He can't even put up with the awards campaign shit for a couple months, he's really going to jump through the hoops of blockbuster filmmaking? He's going to be asked about this movie every day for the next two years of his life.

This is either completely false or he's not thinking it through. :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I cannot imagine Phoenix actually agreeing to this. He can't even put with the awards campaign shit for a couple months, he's really going to jump through the hoops of blockbuster filmmaking? He's going to be asked about this movie every for the next two years of his life.

This is either completely false or he's not thinking it through. :lol

Seriously. I can't imagine that being a fun work environment for anyone. Phoenix would hate it, everyone else would hate trying to turn a $250m production into a place he's comfortable. Plus, let's face it, Lex probably isn't a one movie deal. WB/DC would want that actor on retainer.

I refuse to believe there's any legitimacy to his taking a part in this. I can only imagine the on-set blowups and the awkward tension. The idea of casting him in a tentpole superhero picture sounds like a dare.

I'll be shocked if it comes to pass, and further shocked if the whole production and release avoids notable incidents with him.

You so crazy. This movie is Snyder's meal ticket.

Looking at Warners history of trying to get DC movies made, especially the period in between Batman Forever and Batman begins, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this movie never gets made. Hell, it wouldn't even be the first Batman/Superman movie to get canned. Reading how incompetent they were during that time really makes it a miracle that we ever got a halfway decent Batman or Superman movie again.

And yes, even MOS was halfway decent compared to what Burton had planned.

Looking at Warners history of trying to get DC movies made, especially the period in between Batman Forever and Batman begins, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this movie never gets made. Hell, it wouldn't even be the first Batman/Superman movie to get canned. Reading how incompetent they were during that time really makes it a miracle that we ever got a halfway decent Batman or Superman movie again.

And yes, even MOS was halfway decent compared to what Burton had planned.

10 bucks says this movie will be made.

Blader

Looking at Warners history of trying to get DC movies made, especially the period in between Batman Forever and Batman begins, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this movie never gets made.

That was 10-15 years ago under completely different circumstances. There's a world of difference between delivering an anticipated sequel to two successful (albeit to different degrees) franchises and trying to find a viable way to resurrect a poisoned franchise.

I would imagine Marvel will have a sequel to Thor, Captain America, or Guardians around that time. Depending on which movie had the best box office draw previous (Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians 1).

Blader

I would imagine Marvel will have a sequel to Thor, Captain America, or Guardians around that time. Depending on which movie had the best box office draw previous (Thor 2, Captain America 2, Guardians 1).

Unless Guardians is an Iron Man-sized hit, I'm gonna bet that Thor 3 and Dr. Strange will be their 2016 releases.

Time for some possible bullshit. These are rumors I've heard from someone that got fired from the production recently (like the past week). Take this with a grain of salt though, folks. Seriously. Please note that there are some major spoilers here if any of it is true.

The villians are Lex Luthor and Metallo

Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city

Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He's there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish

Jason Momao is definitely up for Aquaman

Wonderwoman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.

Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.

Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them

The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton's

Lois is investigating Lex.

Metallo "kills" Clark

The Daily Planet is bought by Lex Luthor for PR purposes

At the end Superman is living in exile, and the Justice League is an government approved superhero team.

My source is someone from the art department that supposedly got shitcanned (apparently a bunch of them were fired). I confirm nothing. Just passing along what I heard. Take it with the proper amount of salt.

Time for some possible bullshit. These are rumors I've heard from someone that got fired from the production recently (like the past week). Take this with a grain of salt though, folks. Seriously. Please note that there are some major spoilers here if any of it is true.

The villians are Lex Luthor and Metallo

Batman forms a UN type deal to stop Superman from destroying another city

Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He's there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish

Jason Momao is definitely up for Aquaman

Wonderwoman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people.

Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.

Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them

The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to Burton's

Lois is investigating Lex.

Metallo "kills" Clark

The Daily Planet is bought by Lex Luthor for PR purposes

At the end Superman is living in exile, and the Justice League is an government approved superhero team.

My source is someone from the art department that supposedly got shitcanned (apparently a bunch of them were fired). I confirm nothing. Just passing along what I heard. Take it with the proper amount of salt.

Sounds like Watchmen with more characters and events.

Dead

well not really...yet
All of that...actually sounds very plausible.

Dont see how they can possibly fit all of that in unless its a 3 hour fucking epic or something tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom