• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman Vs Black Adam: "It's Absolutely The Plan" confirm Dwayne Johnson

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Too bad for Shazam

Superman-et-Black-Adam-mesurent-leur-force-dans-le-dernier.jpeg

Johnson has frequently namedropped Superman while answering questions on the press tour for this DC movie.
However, Cinema Blend asked him outright if his plan is to build to a movie pitting Black Adam against the Man of Steel:

"Absolutely!
That is the whole point of this man. Thank you for asking that. And I have been saying for some time, there's a new era in the DC Universe that's about to begin.
And what I meant by that was introducing a brand new character. It's not a sequel, not an existing IP.

It was...you know, Black Adam! Two years ago the world had no idea who he was.
We did, but not, you know, the rest of the mass out there. Introducing the JSA, introducing that new era of the DC universe.
But also what I really meant by, ‘This is a new era in the DC Universe,’ is listening to the fans. Listening to the fans.

And doing our best to give the fans what they want. And maybe, sometime down the road — and I went through this in pro wrestling — is you can't always give them what you want.
But you'll always know that we're listening. And in this case, with what you and I are talking about, I have been listening and I've been wanting to address fans for years.
Because I've been waiting for someone to step up and address the fans and say, ‘Hey, we hear you.’

So finally, after many months turned into many years, we ended up with what we ended up at. And the whole goal and intention now is to this new era, new time. Now let's build out."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ah yes.

Only good things can come from letting a single actor dictate the path of a cinematic franchise.
Not at all what is happening, and from The Rock himself:

The DCEU is FINNALY moving forward and Cavill is back (thanks to him). I'd say wait and see.
Not to mention it feels good to see someone who seems to love those characters as much as we do! He really is passionate.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not at all what is happening, and from The Rock himself:

The DCEU is FINNALY moving forward and Cavill is back (thanks to him). I'd say wait and see.
Not to mention it feels good to see someone who seems to love those characters as much as we do! He really is passionate.

Has Cavill’s return actually been confirmed officially anywhere?

jason10mm

Gold Member
YES!

Because Batman vs Superman was.....oh wait, let's think about this for a second....

I seriously doubt Black Adam will, in any way, be a true anti-hero or borderline villain. So I hope Dwayne can craft a character with a natural and organic conflict with Superman (and the Justice League in general) that makes sense. But given the roots of the character with Shazam, how are they gonna overlook that?

Billbofet

More Superman please.
Hope they don't make Black Adam into the supreme and virtuous hero, but it is the Rock we're talking about here.
When is he ever less than an absolutely perfect person?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If you read the JSA run this story appears to be loosely based on, it would make sense for Superman to come back. Otherwise the ending wouldn't have teeth.

Besides, it's cool. And for those worried about Adam dominating Superman, in recent social media videos Johnson made clear that they shaped Adam to be the most powerful being on earth, while there's another who is the most powerful in the universe. Clearly that's Superman. WBD wouldn't let Black Adam punk their greatest hero.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Let's hope they are just fighting over who is the real daddy of Wonder Woman's baby.

It's really the only plot that makes sense.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Aside from the bizarre take that The Rock is now somehow dictating the future of DC movies, Black Adam will be a colossal flop and all these plans will be slamdunked into the garbage bin.

Just think what a horrible fucking mess it will be if they’ve basically let Johnson do what the fuck he likes, with him at the centre of the DCEU going forward, and the fucking movie flops...

Last edited:

Madflavor

So long as it isn't Superman jobbing to Black Adam, I'm fine with it. More Henry as Supes is a good thing anyway.

wipeout364

I feel like this movie will not do great numbers. Black Adam is such a odd choice for a movie. I will say though props to Johnson for working his ass off in the PR side. The guy seems really excited to be part of this movie so I hope it works out for him.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
imagine still giving a shit about dc universe. call me when it has a consistent quality but then again, marvel isnt doing any better but at least with mcu everything feels properly planned. DC is just random shit.

Methos#1975

imagine still giving a shit about dc universe. call me when it has a consistent quality but then again, marvel isnt doing any better but at least with mcu everything feels properly planned. DC is just random shit.
Maybe at one time, now though nothing about the MCU feels planned at all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I respect super hero movies physically no one can handle Superman, years of being in the justice league, able to leave planets, goes out there and saves lives.

Mobilemofo

I'm not sure I'm getting this right but, if superman has his strength from the sun, and is vulnerable against magic, why don't black Adam block the sun with {insert planet or something}, then fuck him up with magic and beatings, make him chew some kryptonite, and fuck him off to the bottom of the sea. Chained and boxed. 😆 I'm sure I'll be corrected .

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not sure I'm getting this right but, if superman has his strength from the sun, and is vulnerable against magic, why don't black Adam block the sun with {insert planet or something}, then fuck him up with magic and beatings, make him chew some kryptonite, and fuck him off to the bottom of the sea. Chained and boxed. 😆 I'm sure I'll be corrected .
This is why superman took a few points of extra charisma, he has friends.

And enemies even. Think Lex would let someone take out superman besides himself?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Theoretically, Adam could grab Superman while electrocuting him nonstop with magic lightning and drive him down into the ocean deep enough to where the sunlight doesn't reach. Adam doesn't require oxygen to live either (nor does he require food or water, either). Once Superman is sufficiently weakened he could kill him.

But Superman will always win, eventually, because he's Superman.

Mobilemofo

Theoretically, Adam could grab Superman while electrocuting him nonstop with magic lightning and drive him down into the ocean deep enough to where the sunlight doesn't reach. Adam doesn't require oxygen to live either (nor does he require food or water, either). Once Superman is sufficiently weakened he could kill him.

But Superman will always win, eventually, because he's Superman.
I went over black Adams history, quickly, as I am unfamiliar with anybody apart from the usual suspects. Quite the history behind him..all the way from 1945. More of a Background hero mostly, apart from a few times where he steps up. Interesting character.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I went over black Adams history, quickly, as I am unfamiliar with anybody apart from the usual suspects. Quite the history behind him..all the way from 1945. More of a Background hero mostly, apart from a few times where he steps up. Interesting character.

For most of his history, he's been a villain... Mostly to Captain Marvel (AKA SHAZAM) ... In recent years he's become more of an antihero. He's just as strong as Superman or SHAZAM but has no compunction with killing. And he doesn't stop until you're done moving!

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Right, good WB. Now stop fucking around with all these B list characters, and announce a new movie for him.
You can be sure it is coming.
Now I wanna see Brainiac & McQuarrie to direct MoS II, then we're all set for greatness.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You can be sure it is coming.
Now I wanna see Brainiac & McQuarrie to direct MoS II, then we're all set for greatness.

I just want them to ditch the eternal and pointless chase for cross over shared universe movies and make solid solo films. They have a great Batman, a great Superman, a great Wonder Woman, a good Aquaman… just add a Green Lantern, and you’re good.

Edit: also, I’d be willing to bet a fair amount that the leak was deliberate to get people in to see the Black Adam film.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Then we can get the “Black Adam” game announcement at the next game Awards, with the Rocks next Pump and Dump organic energy drink.

avQFS9E.jpg

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

For most of his history, he's been a villain... Mostly to Captain Marvel (AKA SHAZAM) ... In recent years he's become more of an antihero. He's just as strong as Superman or SHAZAM but has no compunction with killing. And he doesn't stop until you're done moving!
Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

Doom85

Trying so hard to make that character iconic.

I mean, he COULD be slightly iconic if they actually had him as the antagonist of Shazam 2. That’s what every DC fan assumed they would do when they cast the role as that’s what the character is best known as in the comics, instead we got a movie focused on Black Adam which is baffling. I’m mainly into it to see the Justice Society (Dr. Fate, Hawkman, Atom Smasher, and Red Tornado’s daughter Cyclone) as it’s cool to see them in a film at last. Personally wish the film was about them, but hey maybe Black Adam will surprise me.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Nope.

Black Adam is a b list villain, for a b list hero that has never been all that popular. This movie hasnt been made due to the audience, it’s been made due to Dwayne.

I wouldn't say NEVER.

Captain Marvel used to outsell Superman in the 1940s for YEARS before DC bought Fawcett Comics.

Top Bottom