• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermassive Games is being acquired by Nordisk Games

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
The_Quarry_cover_art.png

Nordisk Games acquires Supermassive Games, award-winning creators of The Quarry and The Dark Pictures Anthology

COPENHAGEN/GUILDFORD UK - July 12, 2022 – Copenhagen-based Nordisk Games has fully acquired Supermassive Games, the BAFTA-winning, independent UK game developer best known for the critically acclaimed narrative games Until Dawn, The Dark Pictures Anthology and the recently released The Quarry. The acquisition follows Nordisk Games taking a 30.7%
stake in the studio in March 2021.

Supermassive Games was founded in 2008 by Pete Samuels and Joe Samuels. Since then has grown to more than 300 talented developers that share the studio’s love of high-end production values and cinematic excellence. Supermassive Games has received numerous awards for its immersive narrative games, including a BAFTA for PS4 game Until Dawn. The studio launched its first owned-IP, The Dark Pictures Anthology, in 2019 and its most recent game is the teen-horror title The Quarry,

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Still shocks me Sony didn't buy them after Until Dawn.
It does not shock me, the game was for PS3 and the Move, then they redone everything for PS4. Until dawn is still their best game and it was written by a real screenplay writer from Hollywood. We even had articles saying how Until Dawn was the best indie movie of that year... then things gone downhill with that PS VR experience and the recent ones.
I hated the Quarry, lacked story development and the most of the things was stupid.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nordisk Interactive is the official distributor of Sony PlayStation in the Nordics and Baltics.

Long-term distributor of PlayStation
For more than 20 years, and since the launch of Sony PlayStation, Nordisk Interactive has been the official distributor of the console in the Nordics and Baltics and we have made it one of Sony’s most successful markets.

More than consoles

Not only do we distribute Sony PlayStation consoles, we also distribute a long range of games such as: God of War, Days Gone and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Distributed games​

God Of War

God of War
Go to God of War
Marvel's Spiderman

Marvel's Spider-Man
Go to Marvel's Spiderman
Days Gone

Days Gone
Go to Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn

Horizon Zero Dawn
Go to Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us Remastered

Go to The Last of Us Remastered
Uncharted 4

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Go to Uncharted 4

CamHostage

Huh, "Nordisk", I assumed there was an error and it was THQ Nordic, but like 8bitWolf said, Nordisk is a thing.

I know I've heard the name before (Nordisk Film produced Land of Mine and Kon-Tiki,) but I guess it never stuck that they're in games. They actually already own MercurySteam and Avalanche Studios Group (the Just Cause / Mad Max people, not the Disney Infinity / Hogwarts Legacy team.)

https://www.nordiskgames.com/

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nordisk Interactive is the official distributor of Sony PlayStation in the Nordics and Baltics.

For more than 20 years, and since the launch of Sony PlayStation, Nordisk Interactive has been the official distributor of the console in the Nordics and Baltics and we have made it one of Sony’s most successful markets.

More than consoles

Not only do we distribute Sony PlayStation consoles, we also distribute a long range of games such as: God of War, Days Gone and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Distributed games​

God Of War

God of War
Go to God of War
Marvel's Spiderman's Spiderman

Marvel's Spider-Man
Go to Marvel's Spiderman
Days Gone

Days Gone
Go to Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn

Horizon Zero Dawn
Go to Horizon Zero Dawn

Uncharted 4

Go to Uncharted 4

This is weird. So.........what does this mean?

Aenima

Absolutely not. The Quarry is bad, like very very bad. Supermassive Games needs to hire some writer because right now it's a disaster.

I really hope they can finally write something good and show that Until Dawn wasn't a fluke.
Disappointing to hear. Was really hoping to at least match Untill Dawn. I did enjoyed Man of Medan, for what i paid for it (nothing), but not enough to replay it multiple times to see the diferent outcomes like i did with Untill Dawn.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

More than consoles

Distributed games​

God Of War

God of War
Go to God of War
Marvel's Spiderman's Spiderman

Marvel's Spider-Man
Go to Marvel's Spiderman
Days Gone

Days Gone
Go to Days Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn

Horizon Zero Dawn
Go to Horizon Zero Dawn

Uncharted 4

Go to Uncharted 4

As a long time sufferer of these assholes, I can only say screw them. As this says, they are the PlayStation distributors here in the Nordic countries, and the way they jack up the console prices and pocket the difference is ridiculous. And I'm not talking compared to the US, but just the rest of Europe. We ALWAYS pay significantly more here in Sweden (etc) than our neighbors in for example Germany, even after considering our higher VAT.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
As a long time sufferer of these assholes, I can only say screw them. As this says, they are the PlayStation distributors here in the Nordic countries, and the way they jack up the console prices and pocket the difference is ridiculous. And I'm not talking compared to the US, but just the rest of Europe. We ALWAYS pay significantly more here in Sweden (etc) than our neighbors in for example Germany, even after considering our higher VAT.
Same here in Denmark. Do you know if they're handling the Inzone products? Cause they are ridiculously overpriced compared to rest of the world.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Same here in Denmark. Do you know if they're handling the Inzone products? Cause they are ridiculously overpriced compared to rest of the world.

Don't know, I don't think they handle any other Sony electronics like TVs, non-gaming headphones etc. So I don't know where that stuff falls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And Playstation hardware. Egmont Group which owns Nordisk Film are extremely dependent on Sony and vice versa.

I don't know why Sony can't distribute their own stuff here though, like they do in other countries (and they also do here with other stuff).

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I don't know why Sony can't distribute their own stuff here though, like they do in other countries (and they also do here with other stuff).
Nordisk Film translates games for Sony and are doing all the marketing stuff for them here in the nordic countries. I think it's a matter of one hand washes the other.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nordisk Film translates games for Sony and are doing all the marketing stuff for them here in the nordic countries. I think it's a matter of one hand washes the other.

Oh, they are the ones doing all the Swedish translations and voice overs of games that force me to keep my consoles set to English because I don't want to hear that? Cool.

(It's good for kids I suppose, and the translations are usually pretty good. But I always want the original language.)

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Oh, they are the ones doing all the Swedish translations and voice overs of games that force me to keep my consoles set to English because I don't want to hear that? Cool.

(It's good for kids I suppose, and the translations are usually pretty good. But I always want the original language.)
Yup, that's why I buy all my games from the US store.

Top Bottom