• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supermassive Plans to Launch Two ‘The Dark Pictures’ Games Per Year

bitbydeath

I wonder how large these games will be if they can afford to release two titles per year.

Supermassive’s latest project — a series of standalone, cinematic horror games called “The Dark Pictures” — will get two new releases a year, the developer said during a special Gamescom episode of Inside Xbox on Tuesday.

Each game will have a different cast of characters, a new environment, and a unique story line based on a different genre of horror.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/the-dark-pictures-man-of-medan-1202911521/

I'm excited tho.

The trailer for next years title - Man of Medan, can be found here -

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/man-of-medan-trailer.1464843/

Synopsis -
Five friends set sail on a holiday diving trip in search of a rumored World War II wreck. But, as a storm rolls in, the trip turns sinister.

“Man of Medan” is a story-centric experience where the player’s actions and decisions affect which characters will live or die.

“Man of Medan” comes out on PC, PS4, and Xbox One sometime in 2019. Bandai Namco is publishing the anthology.

Nok Su Kow

Really looking forward to it, I loved Until Dawn

Not so keen on the "Don't play alone" tagline, that implies multiplayer of some kind............... I want to play alone

bitbydeath

Really looking forward to it, I loved Until Dawn

Not so keen on the "Don't play alone" tagline, that implies multiplayer of some kind............... I want to play alone

I'm hoping that just means because it will be scary... that's how I read it at least...

Shin

Banned
Here is the trailer:

Also not sure if 2 games per year is correct, it's a anthology and super massive isn't that big I think.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm hoping that just means because it will be scary... that's how I read it at least...

Also, if it is built on the same formula as Until Dawn, it was a "party game" without multiplayer.

I do dig the 80's/90's tagline of "Don't play it alone!" as well.

Last edited:

pqueue

I'll take "things no one asked for for $100", Alex.

Once a year is way more than enough

Last edited:

ButchCat

I'm waiting for them to put everything out there that has to do with the Dark Pictures so they can make a bundle that I can binge through.

xrnzaaas

I think that the original plans changed a little bit
They didn't look very realistic even when they were first announced. We're not talking about releasing a new episode, but a brand new game with a brand new story and at least several hours of content. Even if Man of Medan became a big success the studio would have to hire tons of new people and there would be a risk people would quickly get bored with the formula.

Dthomp

Man of Medan is worth a playthough, but it fails at being even half as good as Until Dawn was. It's the definition of a 6 out of 10 game. Little Hope was slightly better then MoM, but suffered the same terrible "twist" stuff that they are getting all to comfortable being in every game.

quickwhips

Man of Medan is worth a playthough, but it fails at being even half as good as Until Dawn was. It's the definition of a 6 out of 10 game. Little Hope was slightly better then MoM, but suffered the same terrible "twist" stuff that they are getting all to comfortable being in every game.
I think they just need to change the setting and go back to cabin in woods or camping trip. A scream type one would be cool.

mcz117chief

They need to stop it with these cop out endings.
For Man of Medan yes, the ending is terrible. But Little Hope has a much more interesting ending and it makes some sense. However, I would enjoy a story now that isn't just "it was a dream/bad gas/conscience".

For Man of Medan yes, the ending is terrible. But Little Hope has a much more interesting ending and it makes some sense. However, I would enjoy a story now that isn't just "it was a dream/bad gas/conscience".
Interesting, I actually thought the opposite. MoM ending just had me feeling "eh meh alright then" while I was kinda furious at LH ending lol. Granted the entire last hour of LH is a huge fall from the rest of the game with the repetitiveness, but I was so intrigued by story and mystery of what was happening, and the ending felt like the easiest, laziest way to go.

mcz117chief

Interesting, I actually thought the opposite. MoM ending just had me feeling "eh meh alright then" while I was kinda furious at LH ending lol. Granted the entire last hour of LH is a huge fall from the rest of the game with the repetitiveness, but I was so intrigued by story and mystery of what was happening, and the ending felt like the easiest, laziest way to go.
It was basically Silent Hill, I really enjoyed it all the way through. The retrospect at the end was very nice.

Shmunter

Yeah, which is why I don't believe we will se more games from them close to that quality.
Yes, it’s too niche. I’ve very critical of Sony no longer cultivating and funding devs that diversify what games mean. Even if they sell less than the equivalent investment into a AAA blockbuster, Sony has always been about the creative.

It’s about brand and image strength for a long term view, not just the next quarter.

Bad Sony!

Top Bottom